I got the bug.

One forum to rule them all.. sort of.
madmanmccoy

Re: I got the bug.

Post by madmanmccoy »

Talking japanese TWINS.............pretty hard to beat one of these.............

PRegner

Post by PRegner »

Thruxton-Texas wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:11 pm
PRegner wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:51 pm
Squids? In my experience, the term "squid" is a reference to someone in the Navy. I've been riding motorcycles on and off since the 1970's, and I've only seen this referenced to motorcycling recently.
Squids are those octopus like things that some folks like to eat, or use as fish bait. :D But English is such a fluid language when it comes to slang. In the motorcycling context, it refers to dangerous, foolhardy riders of sport-bikes who ride beyond far their abilities. SQUID ---Stupidly Quick Imminently Dead.
Ah! Solid copy, thanks.

hkshooter

Post by hkshooter »

PRegner wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:51 pm
hkshooter wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:15 pm
Don't pretend to own that thing, it owns you. Fuck up just a little once and it will punish you. Millions of squids can testify to that.
But do enjoy your new machine. Just respect that it'll kick you ass so fast you'll wonder what happened.
Squids? In my experience, the term "squid" is a reference to someone in the Navy. I've been riding motorcycles on and off since the 1970's, and I've only seen this referenced to motorcycling recently.
It's a mash up I've seen used in MC forums for a number of years. SQUished kIDS.

El Trollo Mejor

Post by El Trollo Mejor »

Ah the MT10. Looks like a Transformer's half hard cock but makes sweet sweet crossplane noise.

Very nice. It needs a pipe, let her sing.

AKMStoy

Post by AKMStoy »

If you haven't been riding a sport bike for a long time take some higher level riding lessons. If you don't know what counter steer is don't ride the bike on a hwy or anywhere for that matter. If you don't know while braking steering is hard because forces want to stand the bike up get real riding lessons because going into a turn too fast and hitting the brakes can throw you into the oncoming lane. If the bike has a power limiting switch use it till you know what you are doing. When you know what you are doing a liter bike and your bike is at full power it doesn't matter how good of a rider you are :) It's confidence and knowing what the bike is going to do.

Even for a guy that's ridden bikes but not a sport bike I'd say a max of 750cc. A 600 is going to beat bigger bikes in the turns anyway. The liter bikes are just rockets with temporary inputs. One simple explanation is G forces. A liter bike you might figure it's cool getting on the hwy staying in high revs for noise and power so you are in 2nd or lets say 3rd gear. Great you are already at the speed of other vehicles while on the ramp then figure hit it to catch a spot ahead. In third getting to that 12k rev limit is well over 100mph. The G's even pinching your legs together an having your butt back can haul your arms back locking your hands back on the throttle holding on for dear life unable to let off the gas as you fly past 100. Get lessons or you are risking many unseen accidents that can happen with you not knowing how they will show up from not planning and knowing what the bike will do. It aint no I thought the bike would do what I wanted it to do.

Watch some lowside and highside accidents in races and understand they are professionals and stuff like that pops up no matter how good you are. The sport bikes kill a lot of people not knowing and even knowing what's going on. New tires are slippery for a couple hundred miles is another warning. Biggest warning is if you don't know what you are doing you are toast.

GSXR1000
Cry havoc let slip the dogs of war

trypcil

Post by trypcil »

Use-ability is essential - many moons ago when I was out riding,some guy came up to me at a light, he was on a Suzuki 750, me 900 Speed Triple. Lights go, and so do I - he had to rev the titsoff, and only caught up with me on the I-4. Then there is comfort - a rice rocket style bike will hurt you in the wrists, the forearms, the back and elsewhere - and if you are over weight, it will be comical, until your body adapts!! Plus understanding counter steer and many other things as to how a bike actually steers - with the rear wheel, and not the front!! Harley for years were rear wheel brakers, which is really daft - the front wheel stops you. There is a book by a gentleman called "Kieth Code, called the Twist of the Wrist" - it is essential reading if you ever ride 'competitively' on the street, or the track - or you will be a Squid!

El Trollo Mejor

Post by El Trollo Mejor »

trypcil wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:42 pm
Use-ability is essential - many moons ago when I was out riding,some guy came up to me at a light, he was on a Suzuki 750, me 900 Speed Triple. Lights go, and so do I - he had to rev the titsoff, and only caught up with me on the I-4. Then there is comfort - a rice rocket style bike will hurt you in the wrists, the forearms, the back and elsewhere - and if you are over weight, it will be comical, until your body adapts!! Plus understanding counter steer and many other things as to how a bike actually steers - with the rear wheel, and not the front!! Harley for years were rear wheel brakers, which is really daft - the front wheel stops you. There is a book by a gentleman called "Kieth Code, called the Twist of the Wrist" - it is essential reading if you ever ride 'competitively' on the street, or the track - or you will be a Squid!
I took his Superbike School. Very very informative guy. Keith Code. I'm sure OP will be fine but to really exploit a sport bike you want some higher level training.

Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Broncowilly wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:28 pm
Yup.
I thought he was saying he is a bug chaser.
I miss my 20 inch spinners

Lsmurphy

Post by Lsmurphy »

El Trollo Mejor wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:59 pm
trypcil wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:42 pm
I took his Superbike School. Very very informative guy. Keith Code. I'm sure OP will be fine but to really exploit a sport bike you want some higher level training.
I rode for 20 years.........but I'll take it slow.

Lsmurphy

Post by Lsmurphy »

One of my mistakes.

MACV

Post by MACV »

I've got a Yamaha 700 Grizzly 4x4. It will run a lot faster than I care to ride it. I'm old and prefer 4 wheels under me.
I put one of these on it
https://www.ebay.com/i/274364031079?chn ... 6bb0ac3e7a

madmanmccoy

Post by madmanmccoy »

Pleeeez , tell me you still have that CBR900RR.........

Lsmurphy

Post by Lsmurphy »

madmanmccoy wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:43 am
It was stolen from me.

It was destroyed by a group of valedictorians. I got it back but.............sold it, was never to be the same.

tttinytank

Post by tttinytank »

This thread is full of people showing their 'bugs' and I am just dumbfounded at how fast and smooth these bad boys look. The only time I got to try one was when my mate purchased it.

madmanmccoy

Post by madmanmccoy »

Lsmurphy wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:54 am
madmanmccoy wrote:
It was stolen from me.

It was destroyed by a group of valedictorians. I got it back but.............sold it, was never to be the same.
THAT is a shame ...know how you feel...had a '69Dodge Coronet R/T ,440 [w/all the Goodies] ripped off by a bunch of rocket scientists too,,,,

Those 900s are the Ultimate.....buddy's kid just drove 6hrs to buy a 2000 CBR 929 RR .....if you owned one of those900-929-954 in that series, ,you don't need any of us "preachin' to you , you know "The Deal"

giantpune

Post by giantpune »

Once was enough for me. I rode a crotch rocket exactly 1 time. Got on the highway, opened it up, went as fast as that thing would go, scared the piss out of myself, and got it out of my system.

Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

madmanmccoy wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:49 pm
Lsmurphy wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:54 am
madmanmccoy wrote:
It was stolen from me.

THAT is a shame ...know how you feel...had a '69Dodge Coronet R/T ,440 [w/all the Goodies] ripped off by a bunch of rocket scientists too,,,,

Those 900s are the Ultimate.....buddy's kid just drove 6hrs to buy a 2000 CBR 929 RR .....if you owned one of those900-929-954 in that series, ,you don't need any of us "preachin' to you , you know "The Deal"
They steal everything
I miss my 20 inch spinners