I got the bug.

One forum to rule them all.. sort of.
Lsmurphy
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:53 pm

I got the bug.

Post by Lsmurphy »

Image

TangoUniform
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:38 pm
Location: K Town, TN

Re: I got the bug.

Post by TangoUniform »

ATGATT

User avatar
madmanmccoy
Posts: 452
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:50 pm

Re: I got the bug.

Post by madmanmccoy »

THAT is one ugly mutha fkkr....bet it's FAST as Hell.....shitcan the muffler & put a YOSHIMURA carbon fiber can on it & tuck that tail lite/plate up under the tail piece .............GOOD LUCK with it ....... looks fast......... :shock:

Lsmurphy
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:53 pm

Re: I got the bug.

Post by Lsmurphy »

Going to look this weekend.

I stopped at one dealer today.........douche bags. Talked to another 4 times on the phone and salesman was great, definitely going to see him.

User avatar
madmanmccoy
Posts: 452
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:50 pm

Re: I got the bug.

Post by madmanmccoy »

saw a BLACK one at the gas pump last fill up ,.... got an R1 [?]motor , it'll haul ass ,bet on that

69Rebel
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:47 pm

Re: I got the bug.

Post by 69Rebel »

madmanmccoy wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:35 am
THAT is one ugly mutha fkkr....bet it's FAST as Hell.....shitcan the muffler & put a YOSHIMURA carbon fiber can on it & tuck that tail lite/plate up under the tail piece .............GOOD LUCK with it ....... looks fast......... :shock:
Fast is probably an understatement.

User avatar
Ram Rod
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:09 pm
Location: stone's throw from the Buffalo

Re: I got the bug.

Post by Ram Rod »

69Rebel wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:57 am
Fast is probably an understatement.
Right.
Possible time travel with that one- :lol:

69Rebel
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:47 pm

Re: I got the bug.

Post by 69Rebel »

Ram Rod wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:32 am
69Rebel wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:57 am
Fast is probably an understatement.
Right.
Possible time travel with that one- :lol:
Warp speed at any rate! :D

69Rebel
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:47 pm

Re: I got the bug.

Post by 69Rebel »

Ol' Murph's gonna get to find out how Wile E. Coyote felt when he was being fired out of that Acme cannon.

User avatar
madmanmccoy
Posts: 452
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:50 pm

Re: I got the bug.

Post by madmanmccoy »

Isn't that a 1st cousin to this:

Image

trypcil
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:11 pm

Re: I got the bug.

Post by trypcil »

You gotta blame the Brits for stuff like that - Street fighters and then Triumph! What's it stats - Hp and Torque, curve shape? I suspect it's a mid to high revver, probably crap below 7K - forget it, get a Triumph, or some Eurotrash bike - a mid range and usable bike! ;-)

69Rebel
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:47 pm

Re: I got the bug.

Post by 69Rebel »

trypcil wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:44 am
You gotta blame the Brits for stuff like that - Street fighters and then Triumph! What's it stats - Hp and Torque, curve shape? I suspect it's a mid to high revver, probably crap below 7K - forget it, get a Triumph, or some Eurotrash bike - a mid range and usable bike! ;-)
Bikes like that have so much power to weight that the lack of low rpm torque is pretty moot. In another thread here, I mentioned taking my B-I-L's 1990 Honda Hurricane 1000, a dinosaur by today's standards, for a spin. It was stupid fast. Unless you were trying to accelerate from 10mph in fifth gear, the throttle response was never lacking by any means.

PRegner
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:23 pm

Re: I got the bug.

Post by PRegner »

trypcil wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:44 am
You gotta blame the Brits for stuff like that - Street fighters and then Triumph! What's it stats - Hp and Torque, curve shape? I suspect it's a mid to high revver, probably crap below 7K - forget it, get a Triumph, or some Eurotrash bike - a mid range and usable bike! ;-)
I'm two months into my Triumph Scrambler 1200XC, and I love that bike! Yeah, the 900 Z-1 I had decades ago would have smoked it in a straight line, but this bike is just so much damn fun. The 1200 engine makes smooth usable torque at any rpm; there's no such thing as a wrong gear on it.

bill3542
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:41 am
Location: Indiana County, Pa.

Re: I got the bug.

Post by bill3542 »

You'll end up as a road pizza at 150 MPH.... I don't think your yamaka would save you.

User avatar
ThunderGod
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:19 am

Re: I got the bug.

Post by ThunderGod »

Road rocket to the Afterlife.
Have Hammer, Will Smite

hkshooter
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:16 am

Re: I got the bug.

Post by hkshooter »

Don't pretend to own that thing, it owns you. Fuck up just a little once and it will punish you. Millions of squids can testify to that.
But do enjoy your new machine. Just respect that it'll kick you ass so fast you'll wonder what happened.

hoovdizzle
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:55 pm

Re: I got the bug.

Post by hoovdizzle »

murph aren't you too old for that?

Thruxton-Texas
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:42 pm

Re: I got the bug.

Post by Thruxton-Texas »

Going on the broad assumption that it's your first one; you may be looking at too much bike. Without experience/training classes, you're not going to be able to utilize all the power it has available. Before you make a final decision, you may want to look into models in the Triumph "classic" line-up; they won't be as quick to bite you on the ass if you make a minor mistake.

ATGATT---All the gear, all the time. You can shower-off the sweat and stink, quickly and cheaply; road-rash and head concussions not so much. It's your call. Ride like every swinging dick on the road is out to kill you; because they are! ...........James.

Randall
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:04 pm

Re: I got the bug.

Post by Randall »

Lsmurphy wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:19 am
Image
Been riding bikes for 46 years. Most all have been dirt, dual sport, or Jap cruisers. Sold my last Jap cruiser a couple seasons ago, and then I got the bug again earlier this year. I started looking at big naked's, MT-10, MT-09, Speed Triple, Z900, Z1000, GSX1000, even R1's (I figured every bike owner should have an R1 once in his lifetime). However, the more research I did the more I became convinced that short of taking it to a track, there was no way I could get the most out of this class of bike. The Z900 with it's more analog setup was the closest I could come, but even that seems doubtful. I really just need something comfortable enough to spend a few hours on without crying and quick enough in the twisties for weekend fun. I don't need something that is constantly trying to tempt me to kill myself.

That is when I took a closer look at the middleweight naked bikes. There is a bit of a stigma with this class of bike. Like you're "not really a man" if you can't handle a liter bike, but the truth of the matter is that there are plenty of "go fast" options in this class. Light, nimble, lots of fun, less money to own and operate. Still with plenty of power to spare for highway use.

Was getting ready to pull the trigger on a used FZ-07 when I finally got approved for back surgery. Once recovered from surgery, I'll be looking to add a middleweight bike to my garage.

PRegner
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:23 pm

Re: I got the bug.

Post by PRegner »

hkshooter wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:15 pm
Don't pretend to own that thing, it owns you. Fuck up just a little once and it will punish you. Millions of squids can testify to that.
But do enjoy your new machine. Just respect that it'll kick you ass so fast you'll wonder what happened.
Squids? In my experience, the term "squid" is a reference to someone in the Navy. I've been riding motorcycles on and off since the 1970's, and I've only seen this referenced to motorcycling recently.

Thruxton-Texas
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:42 pm

Re: I got the bug.

Post by Thruxton-Texas »

PRegner wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:51 pm
Squids? In my experience, the term "squid" is a reference to someone in the Navy. I've been riding motorcycles on and off since the 1970's, and I've only seen this referenced to motorcycling recently.
Squids are those octopus like things that some folks like to eat, or use as fish bait. :D But English is such a fluid language when it comes to slang. In the motorcycling context, it refers to dangerous, foolhardy riders of sport-bikes who ride beyond far their abilities. SQUID ---Stupidly Quick Imminently Dead.

Tricolor
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:43 pm

Re: I got the bug.

Post by Tricolor »

Randall wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:48 pm
Lsmurphy wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:19 am
Image
Been riding bikes for 46 years. Most all have been dirt, dual sport, or Jap cruisers. Sold my last Jap cruiser a couple seasons ago, and then I got the bug again earlier this year. I started looking at big naked's, MT-10, MT-09, Speed Triple, Z900, Z1000, GSX1000, even R1's (I figured every bike owner should have an R1 once in his lifetime). However, the more research I did the more I became convinced that short of taking it to a track, there was no way I could get the most out of this class of bike. The Z900 with it's more analog setup was the closest I could come, but even that seems doubtful. I really just need something comfortable enough to spend a few hours on without crying and quick enough in the twisties for weekend fun. I don't need something that is constantly trying to tempt me to kill myself.

That is when I took a closer look at the middleweight naked bikes. There is a bit of a stigma with this class of bike. Like you're "not really a man" if you can't handle a liter bike, but the truth of the matter is that there are plenty of "go fast" options in this class. Light, nimble, lots of fun, less money to own and operate. Still with plenty of power to spare for highway use.

Was getting ready to pull the trigger on a used FZ-07 when I finally got approved for back surgery. Once recovered from surgery, I'll be looking to add a middleweight bike to my garage.
Agreed to pretty much everything you said. Consider the SV650 as an option. They are affordable, easy to work on, that V-twin is amazing, and they sound awesome.

I had its bigger sister with the liter V-twin...and while I love my current bike (Voyager), I still miss that gnarly Sound of that 90-degree, TL-esque powerplant.

hinkak
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:09 pm

Re: I got the bug.

Post by hinkak »

I had a 99 Zrx100 ELR colors and a 2004 ZRX1200... that was after my 98 ZX11 and an attempt to slow down and not kill myself... They are a lot of fun and I haven't ridden anything made in the last 10 years or so.

I remember letting my buddy ride my ZX11 and I took his 99 R1, first year w/ shorter wheel base. 100mph in 3rd and the front end accidentally came off the ground... that thing was insane. Can I put as the beneficiary in your life insurance plan?

Broncowilly
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:48 am
Location: Oregon

Re: I got the bug.

Post by Broncowilly »

Image

Randall
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:04 pm

Re: I got the bug.

Post by Randall »

Tricolor wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:18 pm
Randall wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:48 pm
Lsmurphy wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:19 am
Image
Been riding bikes for 46 years. Most all have been dirt, dual sport, or Jap cruisers. Sold my last Jap cruiser a couple seasons ago, and then I got the bug again earlier this year. I started looking at big naked's, MT-10, MT-09, Speed Triple, Z900, Z1000, GSX1000, even R1's (I figured every bike owner should have an R1 once in his lifetime). However, the more research I did the more I became convinced that short of taking it to a track, there was no way I could get the most out of this class of bike. The Z900 with it's more analog setup was the closest I could come, but even that seems doubtful. I really just need something comfortable enough to spend a few hours on without crying and quick enough in the twisties for weekend fun. I don't need something that is constantly trying to tempt me to kill myself.

That is when I took a closer look at the middleweight naked bikes. There is a bit of a stigma with this class of bike. Like you're "not really a man" if you can't handle a liter bike, but the truth of the matter is that there are plenty of "go fast" options in this class. Light, nimble, lots of fun, less money to own and operate. Still with plenty of power to spare for highway use.

Was getting ready to pull the trigger on a used FZ-07 when I finally got approved for back surgery. Once recovered from surgery, I'll be looking to add a middleweight bike to my garage.
Agreed to pretty much everything you said. Consider the SV650 as an option. They are affordable, easy to work on, that V-twin is amazing, and they sound awesome.

I had its bigger sister with the liter V-twin...and while I love my current bike (Voyager), I still miss that gnarly Sound of that 90-degree, TL-esque powerplant.
I agree, the SV650 is definitely a consideration in this class. Had I found the right deal on a used SV650, I wouldn't hesitate. Really, I was looking for good deals on used Street Triple, SV650, FZ07, and Z650. I just happened to find the right deal on the FZ07.

Post Reply