Lets Talk Lever Action Rifles.

One forum to rule them all.. sort of.
Sweedgar

Lets Talk Lever Action Rifles.

Post by Sweedgar »

I'm looking to get an LAR prefer 357. Whats a good quality one to get? What ones to avoid? How difficult would it be to add the "John Wayne" loop?

frankinnola

Re: Lets Talk Lever Action Rifles.

Post by frankinnola »

Marlin pre Remington cluster are good to go.
Henry are nice and you have lots of options and they have the one with the loop already or a Mare leg
https://www.henryusa.com/henry-rifles-and-shotguns/

Lots of SASS use the Rossi after making mods

NDHoJo

Post by NDHoJo »

Marlin 336 cowboy. Pre Remington are one of the best I've ever dropped deer with. They say the Henry side gate loader is incredible but difficult to find sometimes. I love a 3030.
"There are two ways to live well, you can be smart or pleasant. I've been smart for years, and I recommend pleasant"

guzzimike1

Post by guzzimike1 »

Sweedgar wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:09 pm
I'm looking to get an LAR prefer 357. Whats a good quality one to get? What ones to avoid? How difficult would it be to add the "John Wayne" loop?
Take a look at Rossi M92 with Large Loop.

I have one in .44 mag ( regular loop) and it's a nice rifle.

madmanmccoy

Post by madmanmccoy »

Nice LeverGun Mike......... that Carbine BBL 16" is all you need with Handgun rounds ...wish mine was shorter
I got one in .454casull... grabbed it immediately upon release.the advantage in velocity w/ 20" tube tho makes up for any inconvenience ...we shot it across my Buddy's chrono with Winchester 300gr Flat Nose SPs & WIN Supreme 260gr. Partition Gold HP, Hornady XTP 300HP,all over 2,000FPS
and the 260gr Supreme loads were 2275+fps
Put a set of AO "Cowboy Express" sights on & I have two other fiber optic sight sets , the Factory set & Tru-Glow ...which I probably wiil install at some point , those express sights are neat ,BIG white Bead/shallow " V " rear and very fast , but I'm losing pinpoint accuracy out @ 100+ &beyond,yards
Considering the velocity & energy those rounds have out of that 20"BBl , I wouldn't hesitate to hunt anything on 4 legs in N &S America might be marginal on a big Brown but I wouldn't shoot one anyway , not interested in killin black Bears either....they leave me alone & I return thier Favor......

The action on thhose Rossi 92s can use "cleaningup" then they run flawlessly STEVE'S GUNZ has the kit, lighter springs & instructions on what to deburr & polish.......
Last edited by madmanmccoy on Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

guzzimike1

Post by guzzimike1 »

madmanmccoy wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:54 pm
Nice LeverGun Mike......... that Carbine BBL 16" is all you need with Handgun rounds ...wish mine was shorter
I got one in .454casull... grabbed it immediately upon release.the advantage in velocity w/ 20" tube tho makes up for any inconvenience ...we shot it across my Buddy's chrono with Winchester 300gr Flat Nose SPs & WIN Supreme 260gr. Partition Gold HP, Hornady XTP 300HP,all over 2,000FPS
Put a set of AO "Cowboy Express" sights on & I have two other fiber optic sight sets , the Factory set & Tru-Glow ...which I probably wiil install at some point , those express sights are neat ,BIG white Bead/shallow " V " rear and very fast , but I'm losing pinpoint accuracy out @ 100+ &beyond,yards
Considering the velocity & energy those rounds have out of that 20"BBl , I wouldn't hesitate to hunt anything on 4 legs in N &S America might be marginal on a big Brown but I wouldn't shoot one anyway , not interested in killin black Bears either....they leave me alone & I return thier Favor......

The action on thhose Rossi 92s can use "cleaningup" then they run flawlessly STEVE'S GUNZ has the kit, lighter springs & instructions on what to deburr & polish.......
Yeah, with mine I notice that accuracy suffers beyond 100 - 150 Yards, as well. I got mine mostly as a plinker, so the action seems OK by me.

The Loading gate can be a bit of a pain, as the top and bottom edges can be a little too sharp. If you wear gloves, it's a non-issue.

And my M92 has the original Buckhorn sights, which are a bit lacking; but again, this is just a plinker so I'm not dumping a wad of cash on it.

My sights look like this:

madmanmccoy

Post by madmanmccoy »

guzzimike1 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:07 pm
madmanmccoy wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:54 pm

Yeah, with mine I notice that accuracy suffers beyond 100 - 150 Yards, as well. I got mine mostly as a plinker, so the action seems OK by me.

The Loading gate can be a bit of a pain, as the top and bottom edges can be a little too sharp. If you wear gloves, it's a non-issue.

And my M92 has the original Buckhorn sights, which are a bit lacking; but again, this is just a plinker so I'm not dumping a wad of cash on it.

My sights look like this:

Used 6 O'Clock hold off bench at big black Bull @ 50yds had some tight groups some even touching bunch of 3-4shot cluters all touching ....gun is accurate & like the .44mag the round is inherently accurate ....Good sights it'll print real tight ......

I hear you , those guns are worth a little extra tho too .......Still wondering sometimes, as much as I love the .44mag, why the helll I got the .454 ,
especially how ammo prices skyrocketed AFTER I bought it .....Friend told me to get Dies from Freedom Arms & starline brass & go at it like we did with the .44mag ....most likely will too then I can shoot the Hell out of it ...I put away a stash of those Winchester 300s/260s & Hornady300XTPs , like to come up with a good 300- 325 gr CBP Co. LBT Super Hardcast load& run off a few thousand

They hadn't built Stainless guns in 454 when I got mine or probably I have one ....they made a .480Ruger 92 PUMA too ......choices , choices :lol:

Sweedgar

Post by Sweedgar »

After looking around I found this... Marlin 1894C Dark in 30-30 Win, 45-70 Gov't, 44 Mag and 357 Mag.

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/news/201 ... ark-series

guzzimike1

Post by guzzimike1 »

Sweedgar wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:15 pm
After looking around I found this... Marlin 1894C Dark in 30-30 Win, 45-70 Gov't, 44 Mag and 357 Mag.

Nice, looks a lot like this Rossi:

https://rossiusa.com/firearms/lever-act ... iple-black

I prefer the "Vintage" look, but it is great that we have so many choices..

'

Sweedgar

Post by Sweedgar »

guzzimike1 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:44 pm
Sweedgar wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:15 pm

Nice, looks a lot like this Rossi:

https://rossiusa.com/firearms/lever-act ... iple-black

I prefer the "Vintage" look, but it is great that we have so many choices..

'
So do I but the Stainless W-Wood is an EZ $500 more. :shock:

AK-104

Post by AK-104 »

Now you’re talking! Love me some lever action rifles. I’m a Winchester man myself, but Marlin and some others make some nice rifles as well. The only Marlin I have ever owned was an older model 1895G in .45-70 Govt. and it was a beast.

My current crop of lever guns includes a 1924 vintage Winchester model 55 Takedown in .30-30 with a 24 inch barrel and half magazine tube. It was built as a sporting model of the model 1894, and was my dads rifle.

I also have a model 94 Carbine in .30-30 with the standard 20 inch barrel. It is kind of an odd duck in that it is a 1982 model that is still the top eject although later that year is when they went to the angle eject versions. It also has the machined steel receiver with traditional bluing, and the solid metal elevator as opposed to the sheet metal variety. It has the proper screws as well instead of the cheaper roll pin stuff they were using for a few years and no safety other than the half cock feature. It is built about as close to the way the pre-64 versions were built as you can get in a post 64 New Haven built rifle. The newest ones are beautifully built guns but there is no way I can bring myself to buy a Winchester rifle that was made in Japan.

I have heard mixed reviews about the pistol caliber Rossi lever guns, but have no personal experience with them. They are pretty inexpensive though, so they might be worth a look if you aren’t looking to spend a bunch.

Enjoy the world of lever actions. They are handy little guns. My model 94 holds 7+1 rounds of .30-30 in a flat little six pound package. That’s a whole lot of ass whoopin for not a lot of weight/bulk.

Northwest 80D

Post by Northwest 80D »

I've got a Rossi M92 in .357 magnum. Out to around 100 yards the round carries more than enough energy to take a deer. It's a great shooter with the .357s, and has nearly no recoil shooting 38 specials. The only thing I dislike is the cross bolt safety.

I've also got an old Winchester mod 94 in 30/30, that came from my Grandpa. The ole girl kicks like a mule, but I can ring a 8x8 plate at 100 plus yards, with open sights with it, just as easily as I can with the Rossi.

Thanks for the heads up on the kit to smooth up the Rossi. Its always felt a little gritty compared to my 30/30, then again it's got nowhere near the round count through it yet.

Sweedgar

Post by Sweedgar »

Just in case you want a Lever Action in 458 SOCOM... Price :shock:
http://www.bishopammunition.com/458-SOC ... 895gbl.htm

madmanmccoy

Post by madmanmccoy »

Got an old Marlin 444SS in .444marlin .......

Highpower

Post by Highpower »

I recently picked up a couple myself: A 1873 Winchester made in 1888, chambered in .44wcf and a 1893 Marlin, chambered in .38-55 made in 1900. Both have decent bores.

Invictus77

Post by Invictus77 »

Lever actions are not my "thing". I do have a Win '94 in 30-30, just because every American should have a Win '94 in 30-30. Bought it, sighted it, shot a deer with it, and put it in the safe where it has set for several years, and will for the foreseeable future :D

I have a close friend however who LOVES them. He has Henrys in 30-30, 45LC, and 22LR. He has some others I think, but the brass Henrys he actually shoots and he loves them. YMMV.

Ron_Swanson

Post by Ron_Swanson »

I have a Marlin 336 in .357 mag and a Winchester 94 post 64 in 30.30. Both are fun to shoot and very accurate.

guzzimike1

Post by guzzimike1 »

Invictus77 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:19 pm
Lever actions are not my "thing". I do have a Win '94 in 30-30, just because every American should have a Win '94 in 30-30. Bought it, sighted it, shot a deer with it, and put it in the safe where it has set for several years, and will for the foreseeable future :D

I have a close friend however who LOVES them. He has Henrys in 30-30, 45LC, and 22LR. He has some others I think, but the brass Henrys he actually shoots and he loves them. YMMV.
When I was considering Lever Actions, I looked at the Henrys ( Golden Boy ). I really liked them except for one thing, the loading system.

I just prefer a Side Gate Loader than the Henry's Front Loading Tubular Magazine.

madmanmccoy

Post by madmanmccoy »

My 92 PUMA .454 has both...Tube & side gate , I like the tube when I have unfired rounds , pop the tube & dump 'em , but it seems to 'run' better when you load thru the side gate for some reason....

That tune & smooth kit , besides "action job" it lessens force on side gate ,loads easier

Glashaus

Post by Glashaus »

Lever actions are awesome fun guns, mechanical, dynamic, you got to think a little, like bolt action rifles, enjoyable to shoot guns.

We all need to own and shoot firearms that we enjoy, it is all not about being the slickest operator out there.

I have owned a few lever actions over my firearms collecting career, my current are top to bottom

An Uberti 1860 Henry in 44-40, an Uberti 1873 Sporting Rifle in .45 Colt, an 1873 Uberti Sporting Rifle in .357 Magnum, a 1892 Winchester(first year production ) that was originally a rifle in 44-40 that was rebarreled in .44 Magnum and turned into a carbine, most likely in the 1960-70's, great to shoot .44 Specials out of, and a 1894 Winchester NRA Centennial Musket in 30-30 because I like it

AK-104

Post by AK-104 »

Highpower wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:07 pm
I recently picked up a couple myself: A 1873 Winchester made in 1888, chambered in .44wcf and a 1893 Marlin, chambered in .38-55 made in 1900. Both have decent bores.

Those are awesome! Nice scores for sure. Both with octagonal barrels too. Very cool.

bill3542

Post by bill3542 »

Unfortunately my lever action is now longer made.... Savage 99C in .308.

These where the clip feed rifles instead of the internal rotary magazine common on the Savage lever action rifles... paid 185 bucks back in 1980 and it's still my favorite deer rifle.

Glashaus

Post by Glashaus »

bill3542 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:32 am

These where the clip feed rifles instead of the internal rotary magazine common on the Savage lever action rifles... paid 185 bucks back in 1980 and it's still my favorite deer rifle.
One of the favorite lever actions that I ever owned was a Winchester 1895 saddle ring carbine in 30-40 Krag, I owned that when I was in my late 20's and like a dumb ass traded it away for I can't remember what thinking that it would be easy to pick up another one down the road.

madmanmccoy

Post by madmanmccoy »

Glashaus wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:41 am
bill3542 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:32 am

One of the favorite lever actions that I ever owned was a Winchester 1895 saddle ring carbine in 30-40 Krag, I owned that when I was in my late 20's and like a dumb ass traded it away for I can't remember what thinking that it would be easy to pick up another one down the road.
That's on my list to get .......big ol' long slug, rimmed asskicker............get one of those Pancho Villa Bandoliers......

toys

Post by toys »

i you have the $$$ i would look for an older made marlin/winchester.

But the modern made henrys arent that bad for the money.

im sure where you live, there are gun shops and maybe some shows. So i would head over to them and see what you can handle and cycle.

at my LGS some guy had bought a 44 mag Henry. I guess it was the newer model?, but what was cool was that it had the side loading gate and it was also setup to tube feed like a rimfire.