Possibility of adding to the Moderation staff of AK Files?

One forum to rule them all.. sort of.
Thruxton-Texas

Possibility of adding to the Moderation staff of AK Files?

Post by Thruxton-Texas »

The title of the thread gives a full summation. While we have Jen communicating with the membership at present, I thought it might be a good time to bring the subject up.

As we all know, a couple of the moderators have withdrawn from service, others have disappeared off into the sunset, and one was banned permanently due to an acrimonious disagreement about forum policies. As of now, the ONLY moderator on constant duty is Nalioth. While he would be happy moderating the Marketplace exclusively; he's been forced to contend with the usual daily issues in the other sub-forums as well.

Due to the current problems of returning the forums to normalcy, I'm not suggesting that this be an immediate action. There are several candidates who might make competent moderators; Nalioth may have some in mind, or not. For the record, I'm not nominating myself for a position. While I'm here for several hours daily, and have the time to contribute, I'll honestly state that I don't have the temperament for the job; my tolerance for bullshit/nonsense borders between low and non-existent. :lol: It doesn't matter to me who gets the nod; as long as some are appointed. ...........James.

69Rebel

Re: Possibility of adding to the Moderation staff of AK Files?

Post by 69Rebel »

It would be a good idea. Poor Nails has been doing it almost all by himself lately.

Thruxton-Texas

Post by Thruxton-Texas »

If Jen finds herself too busy to deal with the day-to-day craziness of the AK Files after she re-establishes the sites, she could always appoint Nalioth as Administrator, which would in turn allow him to appoint additional moderators. If any stray too far "off the Reservation" he could remove them, as required; somewhat like a shop foreman for lack of a better term. :idea: ...........James.

Claymore

Post by Claymore »

I concur, now is the time. There is no way in hell I have the time, but there are good men who would make an excellent choice to beef up the Mod staff

That One Guy

Post by That One Guy »

If he and Jen are both up for it, I think the idea of making Nails an admin is a great idea.

pete0331

Post by pete0331 »

I think that Big Rog would make a good moderator. Nails needs some help. Ian comes in from retirement from time to time, but for the most part Nails is on his own.

Cypheros

Post by Cypheros »

Sigloso

Post by Sigloso »

I’d be an awesome mod and I’ll do it for free!

Cal50

Post by Cal50 »

Nothing wrong with GOOD help.

Thruxton-Texas

Post by Thruxton-Texas »

Cypheros wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:00 pm
What in hell is so funny? That I brought up the subject? Or that Jen might actually do something about it? Why don't you throw your hat in the ring; if you think you could hack it. ............James.

Gowking

Post by Gowking »

Sigloso wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:36 pm
Oh no you didn't...

Savage11

Post by Savage11 »

Nails needs help, it isnt right to put all the moderation responsibilities on him. It's a good way to burn him out!

That One Guy

Post by That One Guy »

Savage11 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:01 am
Nails needs help, it isnt right to put all the moderation responsibilities on him. It's a good way to burn him out!
Skynet never tires.

Irierider

Post by Irierider »

I think because I have taken out a tyrant mod single handed... I deserve to be a moderator :mrgreen:

Cypheros

Post by Cypheros »

Thruxton-Texas wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:38 pm
Cypheros wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:00 pm
What in hell is so funny? That I brought up the subject? Or that Jen might actually do something about it? Why don't you throw your hat in the ring; if you think you could hack it. ............James.
1. I'm not moderator material. Besides, I don't like being in charge, I just like heckling those who are.

2. I find it hilarious that you want to bring this up right now, is all.

NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

We did have some mods retire, right?

Probably wouldn't hurt to add some new blood to the ranks.

ClevelandReefer

Post by ClevelandReefer »

NorincoKid wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:21 pm
We did have some mods retire, right?

Probably wouldn't hurt to add some new blood to the ranks.
Yep, because they were tired of never getting the help they kept asking for in terms of more moderators so they threw in the towel.

Sigloso

Post by Sigloso »

Gowking wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:37 am
Sigloso wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:36 pm
Oh no you didn't...

When I get to be mod, the first order of business is I’m banning you!!!!

TP.

Post by TP. »

pete0331 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:06 pm
I think that Big Rog would make a good moderator. Nails needs some help. Ian comes in from retirement from time to time, but for the most part Nails is on his own.
+1 For BigRog210. 100% good guy.

bmw335ijb4g5 pm me please

Thruxton-Texas

Post by Thruxton-Texas »

Cypheros wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:20 pm
1. I'm not moderator material. Besides, I don't like being in charge, I just like heckling those who are.

2. I find it hilarious that you want to bring this up right now, is all.
If you don't want the position, all well and good. I'm not stumping for the position either. But, you must admit that we need more moderators. Am I right?

As a longtime member, you know as well as I that Jen is conspicuously absent most of the time unless there is some sort of crisis; E.G., some members cheerleading the New Zealand mass-murderer, a vendor going off the rails by gratuitously trolling another vendor across the forum, or the site being neutralized by persons unknown. The reason that I brought this subject up is because she's HERE, NOW. Maybe I'm pissing in the wind; but you shouldn't fault my timing. What better time to try to bring this to her attention?

A man can be part of the solution, or he can be part of the problem. I'm trying to be the former, instead of the latter. The subject needed to be addressed. ............James.

Mr Nobody

Post by Mr Nobody »

This place has always had to many rules and banning / weak people that depend on mods to fight for them.

Thruxton-Texas

Post by Thruxton-Texas »

Mr Nobody wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:59 pm
This place has always had too many rules and banning / weak people that depend on mods to fight for them.
The AK Files must be the only on-line forum that you have experience with. As forums go, we have far more latitude with our individual posting styles, and the topics that we can discuss.

We have the Dumping Brass sub-forum, where personal attacks, and insults are permitted; as long it isn't directed toward someone's family member. This is not a feature in other on-line forums.

The majority of the moderators are very lenient with their ban lengths; the idea of temporary bans is mainly an AK Files thing. On other forums, bans are usually a one-time thing; they are permanent. The majority of the bans are due to using pejorative terms and expressions, and combative posting outside of Dumping Brass. We're free to crap on any group we like; as long as we use literate, "adult" language. A man has to be a blithering shit-head to get banned multiple times on the 'Files. .........James.

Christopher67

Post by Christopher67 »

Mr Nobody wrote:
This place has always had to many rules and banning / weak people that depend on mods to fight for them.
To many rules lol.

voron

Post by voron »

TP. wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:19 pm
pete0331 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:06 pm
+1 For BigRog210. 100% good guy.
yea I remember that. He is a pretty level-headed guy. Big rog would be good addition.
go fuck your mask

That One Guy

Post by That One Guy »

Mr Nobody wrote:
:lol:

This is the most lenient place I’ve frequented in 25 years of being on hobby-oriented forums. Most are extremely family-friendly, and don’t allow any kind of foul language or off-color subject matter whatsoever. Hell, a lot of places will permaban you just for questioning a mod’s actions. Even the few other gun forums I visit are 100% family friendly. The only exception is Reddit, but that’s a different creature altogether.