Forum Status Updates

One forum to rule them all.. sort of.
MI redneck

Re: Forum Status Updates

Post by MI redneck »

Fjordforder wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:13 am
I was planning on changing mine already lol
Well, there's one good thing that came out of all of this!
:D

Ram Rod

Post by Ram Rod »

Just getting used to this place. Not sure how much of this new world order I can handle.

Have some pics of painting my shotgun this evening to post up on the AKFiles site. Editing 6 pics to upload to my host.
Yes, feedback is important for a lot of us.

I know it's a challenge, and much appreciated for your diligence.
Not just a website, but a community.
Thanks

Fjordforder

Post by Fjordforder »

MI redneck wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:01 am
Fjordforder wrote:
Glad I can help - we`re all in this together! :lol:

MI redneck

Post by MI redneck »

Fjordforder wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:23 am
MI redneck wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:01 am
Fjordforder wrote:
Glad I can help - we`re all in this together! :lol:
Separately! ;)

bigrog210

Post by bigrog210 »

Ram Rod wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:16 am
Just getting used to this place. Not sure how much of this new world order I can handle.

Have some pics of painting my shotgun this evening to post up on the AKFiles site. Editing 6 pics to upload to my host.

Thanks

I bet its cool

Jen
Site Admin

Post by Jen »

Getting closer..
almost.png
almost.png (200.72 KiB) Viewed 2126 times

hoovdizzle

Post by hoovdizzle »

Ram Rod wrote:

Thanks
seeing rod be this nice is confusing and disconcerting.

hope once we're back up you'll go back to being a grumpy fuck.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

no2allstars

Post by no2allstars »

I kinda like the new interface if thats the actual layout. Looks a little more modern lol.

Couple of questions...

Will the search function work better instead of having to Google a question with @akfiles in Google search?

Also, is there any way we can get an easy to do picture upload option? (Even if its for contributors only is fine with me!)

nalioth

Post by nalioth »

no2allstars wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:38 pm
Will the search function work better instead of having to Google a question with @akfiles in Google search?
That remains to be seen.

Discussion forums are intended & created for discussion - not search. In theory, the search will be of the same quality as was found on the old board software.
no2allstars wrote:
Also, is there any way we can get an easy to do picture upload option? (Even if its for contributors only is fine with me!)
"Picture upload" - like to show off your new car or something?

I can't imagine the owner has decided to become an image host, so the options will probably remain as they were on the old board software (best to use a third party image host)

Jen
Site Admin

Post by Jen »

nalioth wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:42 pm
no2allstars wrote:
That remains to be seen.

Discussion forums are intended & created for discussion - not search. In theory, the search will be of the same quality as was found on the old board software.
no2allstars wrote:

I can't imagine the owner has decided to become an image host, so the options will probably remain as they were on the old board software (best to use a third party image host)
  • The new search works wonderfully fast, of course that's with just me on the site. Hopefully we'll still see some fast results once everyone's hammering the board.
  • I am reconsidering image hosting options, specifically for contributors. The photobucket loss of images when they locked down accounts resulted in a substantial loss of FAL history, which is truly sad as we can't replace it. The new software has a lot more options regarding images than we have had available to us previously, including watermarking and even blocking images from being hotlinked on the site.

nalioth

Post by nalioth »

Jen wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:52 pm
nalioth wrote:
no2allstars wrote:
That remains to be seen.

no2allstars wrote:

• The new search works wonderfully fast, of course that's with just me on the site. Hopefully we'll still see some fast results once everyone's hammering the board.
  • I am reconsidering image hosting options, specifically for contributors. The photobucket loss of images when they locked down accounts resulted in a substantial loss of FAL history, which is truly sad as we can't replace it. The new software has a lot more options regarding images than we have had available to us previously, including watermarking and even blocking images from being hotlinked on the site.
I don't think it was the speed of the search that was being asked about :p

Jen
Site Admin

Post by Jen »

nalioth wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:57 pm
Go try it and tell me if it's improved ;)

no2allstars

Post by no2allstars »

nalioth wrote:
no2allstars wrote:
That remains to be seen.

I guess this makes sense.

no2allstars wrote:

We can hope and dream. I drive a 99 4runner, so not my new car lol. I was thinking more along the lines of marketplace pictures.
Maybe then every ad could have a picture. Also to make it a little quicker to throw a picture up when asking a question or showing off a new setup. Guess I'll stick with nova! It's really not that hard just takes me a couple minutes to resize them. I always have to guess a size and see how they look. I don't really know how the upload process works. On the outdoors trader, our local state trading forum here in Georgia, you can just hit the upload picture button on the bottom of the message and add them from your phone. I understand there is a significantly smaller amount of people on that site than on the akfiles. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Anyways, can't wait for the new site and I appreciate all yall do for us to keep it up and running! Those first couple days it was down I felt lost.

nalioth

Post by nalioth »

Jen wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:01 pm
nalioth wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:57 pm
Go try it and tell me if it's improved ;)
Oh, I'm sure that the passing of the years (and evolution of software) has made it "better", but the fact remains that it's a discussion board & not a search engine.
no2allstars wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:05 pm
We can hope and dream. I drive a 99 4runner, so not my new car lol. I was thinking more along the lines of marketplace pictures.
Maybe then every ad could have a picture. Also to make it a little quicker to throw a picture up when asking a question or showing off a new setup. Guess I'll stick with nova! It's really not that hard just takes me a couple minutes to resize them. I always have to guess a size and see how they look. I don't really know how the upload process works. On the outdoors trader, our local state trading forum here in Georgia, you can just hit the upload picture button on the bottom of the message and add them from your phone. I understand there is a significantly smaller amount of people on that site than on the akfiles. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Anyways, can't wait for the new site and I appreciate all yall do for us to keep it up and running! Those first couple days it was down I felt lost.
There will be no need to resize any more. The board software automajically fits it to your screen.

As far as uploading images as a forum attachment, how that will work remains up to the boss.

(still better to use a third party image host, IMHO [that way, you upload once - share as many times / places as you like])

no2allstars

Post by no2allstars »

[/quote]

There will be no need to resize any more. The board software automajically fits it to your screen.

As far as uploading images as a forum attachment, how that will work remains up to the boss.

(still better to use a third party image host, IMHO [that way, you upload once - share as many times / places as you like])
[/quote]

Cool, the resizing was really the biggest pain in the ass that I had. If thats eliminated then that alone will be better. I only frequent the akfiles and my local one, so I don't post a bunch anyways. It would be cool if contributors could upload as a forum attachment though.

And I obviously don't know how to quote in this temporary world lol

Ram Rod

Post by Ram Rod »

bigrog210 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:14 am
Ram Rod wrote:

Thanks

I bet its cool
Not sure I'm done with it now that I've had time to look it over. Still have some gray and brown. I hit my Manticore Arms PAP M92 HGs with some gray striping last week just for kicks.
Just uploaded a pic of the 870 police so to preview. Again, not sure I'm finished. Came out okay, not sure I'm happy with the pattern. Hoping the green will get lighter or fade with age.

Ram Rod

Post by Ram Rod »

My bad? Hijacking thread?
Forum software going to auto resize images?

Another win for the snowflakes I guess.
Well, it will free up some time for SkyNet along with diluting the DNA

AK Lone Eagle

Post by AK Lone Eagle »

Nice look, Jen. I use a different password for different sites, and a totally different one for my gmail.

Mr Nobody

Post by Mr Nobody »

I’m on a couple of forums that have been updated ... it’s actually a good thing but most of you are going to bitch.
This one has been super old style for a long time with things that didn’t work right ... by five years ago standards.
If it’s going to be what I expect it will
Auto photo resize and - load photos derect from your device - like buttons - alerts when your quoted and liked ....... stuff like that.
On the ones Iv seen the list of posts on each page is hard to read for some reason ... there’s a setting for dark and light mode that makes that issue for me much better.

Fjordforder

Post by Fjordforder »

Theres a local forum here in the Northwest that uses the same layout and style. I like it, it's very easy to use.

Cypheros

Post by Cypheros »

Mr Nobody wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:06 pm
I’m on a couple of forums that have been updated ... it’s actually a good thing but most of you are going to bitch.
This one has been super old style for a long time with things that didn’t work right ... by five years ago standards.
Auto photo resize and - load photos derect from your device - like buttons - alerts when your quoted and liked ....... stuff like that.
On the ones Iv seen the list of posts on each page is hard to read for some reason ... there’s a setting for dark and light mode that makes that issue for me much better.
Wait! Does this mean we get Tags back???

nalioth

Post by nalioth »

Cypheros wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:23 pm
Mr Nobody wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:06 pm
Wait! Does this mean we get Tags back???
No.

Jen
Site Admin

Post by Jen »

Quick update posted in the first post.

Jen
Site Admin

Post by Jen »

Successful import of all threads and posts from 2003 until the hack on July 8th.

These screenshots are from the substantially improved mobile version.
image1.JPG
image1.JPG (184.21 KiB) Viewed 1764 times
Attachments
image2.JPG
image2.JPG (226.09 KiB) Viewed 1764 times

Fjordforder

Post by Fjordforder »

So, when are we scheduled to go live?