What’s better? AR10 or FAL?

One forum to rule them all.. sort of.
Sigloso

What’s better? AR10 or FAL?

Post by Sigloso »

I’ve had several AR10’s and no FALs but I’ve worked with FALs and I think AR10 is better.

How do I add a poll?

allesennogwat

Re: What’s better? AR10 or FAL?

Post by allesennogwat »

I've built several of each.

I really like the balance and handling of the FAL.

The AR10 can be reliable and accurate, but properly selection of parts is required.

I prefer the AR10 over the AR15, but the AR15 is cheaper and lighter.

I've built cheap and expensive AR10's that work.

I have found many parts to avoid too though.

The AR10 is more "modern", the SCAR17 class maybe.

There are hand guard rails and top cover rails for the FAL that sort of modernize it in a heavy sort of way.

Many of them are no longer on the market now though.

torquemada055

Post by torquemada055 »

IF, I could only have 1, being in America would figure heavily in the AR-10 due to the availability of spare parts.

However, my preference is towards a short gas Inch Para like the one Adam762 built for me about 10 years ago......loud, proud and just so sexy in wood laminate...

ArtBanks

Post by ArtBanks »

A FALAK as we all know.

adam762

Post by adam762 »

Dang. Has it been ten years? You got an early variant too.

I’ve got an AR-10 project going. For a DMR project it is the right choice. But nowhere near as cool. Or adaptable.

Best thing to do is ask yourself what you want to do with the rifle. Your ‘best’ will depend on your needs.

EinheitElfV2

Post by EinheitElfV2 »

All i have to say is if the thread on 'old dirty' makes it back..THAT is the testament to how reliable a fal generally is.. no real maintenance over like 16k+ rounds and was still going strong with mininal parts breaking issues and when a part did(gas piston spring broke in half,shrunk in length and STILL did its job) ,it soldiered on. Actual parts breakage on a fal with ORIGINAL PARTS is almost unheard of.

I have had a couple AR10s and yea,parts picky rifles... ar15s can basically toss any supposed 'milspec' pile o parts together and you have a basic runner.. which brings me to an irritating issue for me...
'Milspec' basically means parts are made to be within certain tolerances so that you can do what i just stated,grab a pile and put together a functioning rifle. Now there is tolerance stacking and you can run into a situation where everything can run too tight or too loose and even though 'in spec ' there will be issues ... MILSPEC does not guarantee you anything in terms of finite accuracy, fit, finish or you name it. Sorry i derailed a little.

Back to it--
AR10 can be lighter unless you barbie it out and more accurate but for me the FAL is my lifetime 308 rifle unless for some physical reason i cant carry or shoulder it.

MI redneck

Post by MI redneck »

Sigloso wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:37 pm
I’ve had several AR10’s and no FALs but I’ve worked with FALs and I think AR10 is better.

How do I add a poll?
How do I create a poll?
When posting a new topic or editing the first post of a topic, click the “Poll creation” tab below the main posting form; if you cannot see this, you do not have appropriate permissions to create polls. Enter a title and at least two options in the appropriate fields, making sure each option is on a separate line in the textarea. You can also set the number of options users may select during voting under “Options per user”, a time limit in days for the poll (0 for infinite duration) and lastly the option to allow users to amend their votes.

nalioth

Post by nalioth »

MI redneck wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:23 pm

When posting a new topic or editing the first post of a topic, click the “Poll creation” tab below the main posting form; if you cannot see this, you do not have appropriate permissions to create polls.
Yeah, I'm gonna go with "no permissions".

This is meant to be a temporary forum so folks won't be lost while Jen recreates the old board.

So, lots of "niceties" have not been enabled (cuz we ain't gonna be here all that long)

MI redneck

Post by MI redneck »

nalioth wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:32 pm
MI redneck wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:23 pm

When posting a new topic or editing the first post of a topic, click the “Poll creation” tab below the main posting form; if you cannot see this, you do not have appropriate permissions to create polls.
Yeah, I'm gonna go with "no permissions".

This is meant to be a temporary forum so folks won't be lost while Jen recreates the old board.

So, lots of "niceties" have not been enabled (cuz we ain't gonna be here all that long)
My bad.
I didn't bother to see if the option was enabled. Just C&P'd from the FAQ's.
:oops:

Tonsofguns

Post by Tonsofguns »

The Ar 10 of today versus yesterday’s Fal?
Ar 10
Yesterday’s Ar 10 versus yesterday’s Fal
Fal

hank327

Post by hank327 »

Give me an inch pattern LiA1 like I got to use when I trained with the King’s Own Scottish Borderers. I loved those rifles!

Pvt.Joker

Post by Pvt.Joker »

I love FALs and I had at one point what I considered my favorite variant; a clone build of a Rhodesian para FAL. But at the moment, my .308 rifle is a Colt LE901-16SE, because I like both the accuracy and the option to be able to convert it quick and easy to almost any caliber that I would have a use for, from .22LR to 5.56 to 7.62x39 to the original .308 (and at some point, perhaps even 6.5 Creedmore and .50 Beowulf, etc.) That versatility I could see having a usefulness should things truly go south and ammo might not be so easy to find in some of the above calibers. Plus, while some people still just love to hate on Colt as a business, their actual products are still a quality option and this one in particular has some really nice features like fully ambi controls, uses standard SR25 PMags (for the .308 and standard AR-15 mags for the rest).
So all in all, as a beautiful collectors rifle and a historical piece I still love the FAL, especially its history in Rhodesia. But for what may become our own version here in the near future, I am going to have to go with the Colt LE901 version of the AR-10 for myself.

Sigloso

Post by Sigloso »

I’m running a POF piston version. It’s the cat’s meow but then again, I think POF took a page from china and still their piston right off a FAL

EPC WN

Post by EPC WN »

SCAR 17. Best of both worlds. I'll show myself out now....

Pvt.Joker

Post by Pvt.Joker »

EPC WN wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:05 pm
I had a SCAR 20s for a brief while and shot a SCAR 17s that belonged to a friend. It is a great gun, but you should probably plan on spending as much on the optic as you did on the rifle if you expect the scope to hold up for very long. For a gun that seems so soft shooting, it does sure seem to have a harsh recoil impulse on optics.

EPC WN

Post by EPC WN »

Pvt.Joker wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:17 pm
EPC WN wrote:
I had a SCAR 20s for a brief while and shot a SCAR 17s that belonged to a friend. It is a great gun, but you should probably plan on spending as much on the optic as you did on the rifle if you expect the scope to hold up for very long. For a gun that seems so soft shooting, it does sure seem to have a harsh recoil impulse on optics.
I'm eyeballing that new Vortex 1-10 Razor. I could probably live with a TA11 though...

Pvt.Joker

Post by Pvt.Joker »

EPC WN wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:24 pm
Pvt.Joker wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:17 pm
EPC WN wrote:
I'm eyeballing that new Vortex 1-10 Razor. I could probably live with a TA11 though...
I'm waiting on Trijicon to see what they decide to do about the TA01ECOS with the dead RM01 and the weak tritium tube (that I was told was "just fine" for a 7-year-old scope that was SUPPOSED to have a TEN-year tritium warranty). Their final decision will determine whether or not I *ever* buy another Trijicon product again. If they make it right; I will be happy to report such. But if not, then I will make sure to share the experience. Either way is up to them.

TangoUniform

Post by TangoUniform »

allesennogwat

Post by allesennogwat »

I went to the range with a lightweight, 8 lbs AR10 and a frien d with a SCAR17.

With the muzzle brake on the SCAR17, the recoil is light, but with it removed, it isn't much different from an AR10 of similar weight with a well designed buffer system.

A muzzle brake can help an AR10 just as much too.

A friend had an early Armalite AR10 carbine.

It had a heavy 16 barrel that was chrome lined.

I had a pre-ban SR25K carbine with a lightweight barrel.

His heavy barrel was recalled due to chrome lining problems.

His replacement barrel was a lightweight chrome lined barrel.

He wasn't happy about that because the recoil increased.

Armalite told him the early carbines had heavy barrels, but all they made at the time were lightweight carbine barrels.

The SR25K had even more recoil.

On comparison, the SR25K had an M4 extension with a short, lightweight buffer and special spring.

The Armalite AR10 carbine had an extended A5 carbine extension, with an M4 H3 buffer and full length fixed stock buffer spring, not a carbine spring.

I converted the AR25K buffer to the same parts used in the Armalite AR10 carbine and it makes a world of difference.

The American gas piston models (Sig 716, Ruger, etc.) usually have M4 H2 buffers, but the HK417 has a similar length buffer that is heavier than the M4 H3 buffer.

Those use A5 extended length carbine extensions.

The DPMS 308 carbines use M4 extensions with short buffers and special springs.

Gator Monroe

Post by Gator Monroe »

I love my circa 1997 ArmaLite AR10A2 (Green Furniture) and when my British L1A1 SLR is done I will have the best of both Worlds

1911Ron

Post by 1911Ron »

I'm selling my 308 AR if that tells you anything. No commonality between makers and parts, of you have an AR308 or whatever you want to call it and they go out of business (DPMS) you are screwed for parts unless someone makes an aftermarket part for your rifle.
To slow to run,but I can still shoot pretty good.
Fal convert!

Sierra Nevada Marine

Post by Sierra Nevada Marine »

Well the AR10 and AR15 for that matter is like an erector set or more technical LEGOS.

Have made 80% ar15's but I wouldnt want to attempt producing a 80% fal.

The FN FAL or just any old generic FAL metric or inch would be a bit more involved in producing.
It doesn't matter where it is, just so it isn't where you are!

allesennogwat

Post by allesennogwat »

I've used 13 inch and 15 inch hand guard rails on AR10's.

The 15 inch is a bit long to hang heavy things on the end, but does cover a 16 inch barrel well.

A 13 inch barrel is lighter and covers a mid-length gas system and on a full length gas system, a 13 inch rail can be used with an adjustable gas block, such as a full length gas system on an 18 inch barrel.

I'm not a fan of adjustable gas systems and like to set up to use standard NATO spec ammo, which is the only ammo made to any gas system standard.

Also I notice fairly sizable recoil difference between 147 grain grain bullets and 168 grain bullets, with the heavier bullets having quite a bit more recoil in a lightweight AR10 carbine.

Pogue_Mahone

Post by Pogue_Mahone »

EPC WN wrote:
Yeah....this. I love my FALs and especially my BSA l1A1. But they can't hold a candle to the SCAR for fast accurate fire.

W_E_G

Post by W_E_G »

They're both OK.

But neither make the same impression on the ladies as a 30-30, and a set of studded chaps.