Should they be taxing me on shipping?

One forum to rule them all.. sort of.
Ram Rod

Should they be taxing me on shipping?

Post by Ram Rod »

I don't know, but I've never noticed being taxed on shipping before. Maybe I've just been ordering from companies that don't want to screw me so hard.
Been doing a little shopping today and I'm just going with one order and one vendor tired of messing around and killing the afternoon.

But should they be charging me tax on shipping? They are adding shipping into the total cost.

Am I becoming a snowflake?

nalioth

Re: Should they be taxing me on shipping?

Post by nalioth »

No, taxing on shipping is illegal.

Ram Rod

Post by Ram Rod »

That's what I thought. So here is the way my order process is going down:

before shipping
Subtotal:
$49.46
Sales Tax:
$4.08
Grand total:
$53.54

after shipping
Subtotal:
$49.46
Shipping:
$17.46
Sales Tax:
$5.52
Grand total:
$72.44

Don't need to tell me how much they are breaking it off in me for the shipping cost alone, but then breaking it off in me again taxing it. Not to say that the shit won't correct itself during actual checkout. The tax itself seems correct. I pay no city tax and the state/county together are 8.75%

sigking

Post by sigking »

That is odd.

93x267.

Post by 93x267. »

Sportsmans Guide recently charged me Shipping Tax. So...I had shipping, tax, and SHIPPING TAX.

Ram Rod

Post by Ram Rod »

Well, I left comments in the order but it's done and the taxes didn't change upon checkout. Says they have a 24/7 CS but it is a snowflake world now. I did try calling twice.
Difficult times indeed we have these days.

Next time I place an order with Sportsman's Guide I'll be paying attention as well. I do the buyer's club there.

Jen
Site Admin

Post by Jen »

nalioth wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:02 pm
No, it is not illegal and actually required by some states. For Texas, if the product shipped is taxable then the shipping charged is also taxable.

Look up TaxJar as they have an ovoerview for all states and it's their job to help businesses maintain compliance with state sales tax laws.

nalioth

Post by nalioth »

Jen wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:18 pm
nalioth wrote:
No, it is not illegal and actually required by some states. For Texas, if the product shipped is taxable then the shipping charged is also taxable.

Look up TaxJar as they have an ovoerview for all states and it's their job to help businesses maintain compliance with state sales tax laws.
That makes no sense at all.

The shipper is paying taxes on the shipping when they engage the shipping company.

Jen
Site Admin

Post by Jen »

Also Of note is that if a business does over $100,000 iirc per year of sales to another state then that business is considered to have a nexus within that state and must collect/report that states sales tax.

See South Dakota vs Wayfair (supreme court case)

https://aemcpas.com/economic-nexus-the- ... t-century/

Jen
Site Admin

Post by Jen »

nalioth wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:23 pm
Jen wrote:
nalioth wrote:

The shipper is paying taxes on the shipping when they engage the shipping company.
See: https://blog.taxjar.com/shipping-taxable-texas/

I do not pay Texas sales tax when I ship with a common carrier. But I can confirm I am required to collect and pay taxes to the state for shipping if the items I ship are taxable and I charge separately for shipping. This does vary state to state. Again, taxjar has some good state specific tax info and it's their entire business to keep merchants in compliance.

meltblown

Post by meltblown »

Jen wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:33 pm
nalioth wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:23 pm
Jen wrote:

See: https://blog.taxjar.com/shipping-taxable-texas/

I do not pay Texas sales tax when I ship with a common carrier. But I can confirm I am required to collect and pay taxes to the state for shipping if the items I ship are taxable and I charge separately for shipping. This does vary state to state. Again, taxjar has some good state specific tax info and it's their entire business to keep merchants in compliance.
Makes sense to a degree if you are marking up the shipping but only for the amount of markup...Nah none of this shit makes sense anymore. But maybe before people were just baking it in the amount on the shipping line. Interesting

Ram Rod

Post by Ram Rod »

Sure as hell NC charges sales tax on shipping charges. Somehow I just feel like I've just took it in the ass twice on the same order.
I think once is enough. Got to have time to heal now. Probably the first AND last time I do bidness in NC.
No wonder the politicians don't give a damn about the public at large. They're just in it for the $$. I think most of our tax dollars are going to a fund to keep them all out of jail where they belong.
Only evil minds could make this shit up-

Jen
Site Admin

Post by Jen »

Sadly, because of the South Dakota vs Wayfair case, you're going to be paying sales tax on many out of state orders now. The days of ordering from out of state to avoid the sales tax are pretty much gone unless you order from smaller businesses.

Also, most states with sales tax, you are supposed to report and pay taxes on all that stuff you bought out of state and didn't pay taxes on. Not that anyone actually does that, but states usually have something to that effect written into the sales tax law. The Wayfair case just gave them a way to go after a bigger fish to get their tax money.

wormraper

Post by wormraper »

don't forget that you're usually not paying for just "shipping". It's always "shipping and handling", and a retailer most certainly can tax "handling" as it's considered a service. Been involved in marketing for years for web sales and web portals.

most places don't charge on shipping and handling out of simplicity, but others (like Primary Arms) do charge on the gross amount instead of the subtotal

Ram Rod

Post by Ram Rod »

Ordered from RTG today and really liking no tax and $9.99 flat rate USPS priority shipping!
BTW- they have the AC Unity 60rd AK47 magazines in stock. Got the email this AM.

Just sayin' ;)

Sierra Nevada Marine

Post by Sierra Nevada Marine »

The truth will set you free.

https://honest.cash/v2/wordshavemeaning ... ilege-2070

ARTICLE 1. Imposition of Tax [6051 - 6055]  ( Article 1 added by Stats. 1941, Ch. 36. )

For the privilege of selling tangible personal property at retail a tax is hereby imposed upon all retailers~~

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/face ... awCode=RTC
It doesn't matter where it is, just so it isn't where you are!

But Its A Dry Heat

Post by But Its A Dry Heat »

It's funny, some places in Texas charge me tax and others don't. ArmsOfA didn't charge me tax the last time I ordered since they moved but not sure if they do now in 2020. Global Ordnance out Florida are my new buddies since they don't and do flat shipping cost.

Dk in VA (I think) didn't charge me shipping or taxes the other since I spent over $90. That was nice. I bought the AC-unity 60 mags and loaded them up to work on there springs. I am a pussy my thumbs still hurt lol.
Nuke China Now. Make the world a better place.

Sigloso

Post by Sigloso »

I don't know how it is in the rest of the world but where I live the charge highway tax and a bunch of junk fees on gasoline and diesel

Then they charge sales tax and they tax the highway tax and other taxes. I literally pay sales tax on taxes

How the fuck do they get off taxing A tax?

416hsm585he

Post by 416hsm585he »

Shipping just a service, like the plumber, so taxable in most states..Ed

nalioth

Post by nalioth »

416hsm585he wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:30 pm
Shipping just a service, like the plumber, so taxable in most states..Ed
Indeed.

UPS, Fedex & peers and the US Post Office all have tax included in their rates.

Double dipping sucks.

Ram Rod

Post by Ram Rod »

Sigloso wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:28 pm
I don't know how it is in the rest of the world but where I live the charge highway tax and a bunch of junk fees on gasoline and diesel

Then they charge sales tax and they tax the highway tax and other taxes. I literally pay sales tax on taxes

Dunno, but I heard it through the grapevine (not Nails) that it's why Muricans threw away some nice tea into pearl harbor way back when.
Yep, the Hawiian tea shirt party -R- sumpin like dat

AKMStoy

Post by AKMStoy »

You are making america great again paying taxes for everything :)
Just think if England in 1775 would of started a make England great again campaign we could still be......
Cry havoc let slip the dogs of war

Ram Rod

Post by Ram Rod »

Stimulus checks for all! Especially the most rich that employ the mostest!
Loving every minute of it!
And praise da Lord!

Sigloso

Post by Sigloso »

Ram Rod wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:48 am
Sigloso wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:28 pm

Dunno, but I heard it through the grapevine (not Nails) that it's why Muricans threw away some nice tea into pearl harbor way back when.
Yep, the Hawiian tea shirt party -R- sumpin like dat
they charge property tax on a jetski in this state.

allesennogwat

Post by allesennogwat »

Jen wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:24 pm
Also Of note is that if a business does over $100,000 iirc per year of sales to another state then that business is considered to have a nexus within that state and must collect/report that states sales tax.

See South Dakota vs Wayfair (supreme court case)

https://aemcpas.com/economic-nexus-the- ... t-century/
In some states it is over $200,000 where the state requires that tax be collected by the selling company.

If tax is not collected due to being under the limit of required collection, many states now require those out of state purchases be declared and use tax paid at the end of the tax year.