AR-10: S&W M&P10 or Diamondback DB10?

One forum to rule them all.. sort of.
Tak

AR-10: S&W M&P10 or Diamondback DB10?

Post by Tak »

If you were to choose, which .308 would you pick and why?

S&W M&P10 18" or Diamondback DB10 18"

Assume prices are about the same more or less .

Usage is just general purpose and mid-range shooting out to say 500 yards or so.

Trying to decide if I want one or the other or neither.

Let's not debate if AR-10's suck or don't suck please (at least not here) :mrgreen:

Thanks in advance for your opinions

Bawana jim

Re: AR-10: S&W M&P10 or Diamondback DB10?

Post by Bawana jim »

In the long run it will be all about magazines. Any semi auto you buy has to have lots of magazines available. Which gun is better is up to you but they are all worthless if you can't keep them running.

Jim

1911Ron

Post by 1911Ron »

If I had to do it over again (DPMS GenII) I would go with the S&W they take Magpul if I'm not mistaken so they are out there and somewhat reasonably priced.
To slow to run,but I can still shoot pretty good.
Fal convert!

tac-40

Post by tac-40 »

Built my own using different parts of the DPM design. PSA blem upper and lower, nitrided bolt and carrier assembly from AIM Surplus, don't remember whose barrel but it was nitrided 18 inch standard profile, MagPul fixed stock and magazines, various pieces from my spare/extra parts bin including a JARD trigger and an adjustable gas block from Brownell's. More accurate than I am with 168 HPBT and I have less than $500 in the build. I had an old SWFA SS 10X scope lying around and I put it to good use on this rifle. Pretty much, inside 600 yards, if I see it, I can hit it (range limitations). I would like to stretch it out a bit to see what it can do then.

MACV

Post by MACV »

I haven't shopped for mags lately but you can bet that will be the next thing that there is a run on.

W_E_G

Post by W_E_G »

There already IS a run on magazines thanks to the 9th Circuit decision to tell Kalifuknia to go suck a bag of dicks over their unconstitutional magazine ban.

For utility, you want an "AR-10" that will take Magpul .308 magazines.

From an individual perspective, take a close look at how the handguard attaches, and what features the handguard offers. Most AR-10 owners aren't going to want to swap handguards on an AR-10. Proprietary designs of handguards, and cost of replacements, and specialized tools for the barrel nut end up being hidden costs the average owner doesn't want.

If you are like me, and you look at every gun with an eye toward "I can't wait to completely disassemble it!" - then disregard my post.

Invictus77

Post by Invictus77 »

I do not and never have had an AR10 and so no direct knowledge. If all things are mostly equal which I seem to gather from this thread (price, quality, feedback, etc.), the Smith would be my choice as it will hold better resale value simply due to name recognition.

Tak

Post by Tak »

From what I have found so far, the S&W is very proprietary in design, particularly with the barrel / barrel extension

Diamondback seems to be more 'standard' with the 'DPMS pattern'...not that there are a lot of universal standards when it comes to AR-10's it seems like.

Not sure I'd ever need to replace a barrel or any parts. Both have lifetime warranties but that's only as good as the life of the company and their service. S&W has been around for 100 years and likely will be for the rest of my lifetime. Diamondback...who knows?

Both use PMAGs.

At today's inflated prices I'm actually seeing S&W for a hundred or so more $ than the Diamondback. Both are of course super scarce right now. But, the S&W has the basic el-cheapo stock and handguards and grip which I'd want to eventually replace anyway, so that adds another $100 down the road to the investment into the SW

I also started looking at stuff from Windham Weaponry, but going rate there is maybe three hundred more than either the S&W or DB. From what I've read Windham is supposed to be a significant step up in quality from DB and S&W.

Anyone with knowledge there?

Badzero

Post by Badzero »

Check into Aero Precision, they seem to be available and are well made with good parts interchangeability. For some reason I thought diamondback used Armalite’s pattern?