Arizona sheriff's 'Citizens Posse' allows residents to be deputized

One forum to rule them all.. sort of.
Christopher67

Arizona sheriff's 'Citizens Posse' allows residents to be deputized

Post by Christopher67 »

We need more people like this.
The office said the program is open to all residents.

After residents have a minimal background check and sign a waiver, they will learn the basics of constitutional law, search and seizure, basic firearm safety, home safety, and the use of force before being deputized.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/pinal-count ... eputized

esh21167

Re: Arizona sheriff's 'Citizens Posse' allows residents to be deputized

Post by esh21167 »

I thought that in states where sheriffs are the law, deputizing citizens is already permitted. In my state, sheriffs mostly serve warrants. And issue 'carry permits.'

BillT

Post by BillT »

Sheriff's vary from place to place. Deputies under common law can be 'deputised' as needed.

madmanmccoy

Post by madmanmccoy »

OH BOY.......how long before The GREEK has a Posse.......Ride 'em COWBOY, GO GET 'EM............

MIG*7.62

Post by MIG*7.62 »

Sweet

chillypepper

Post by chillypepper »

You guys have any kind of Leo in town? That must be interesting.

gunplumber

Post by gunplumber »

It's really not a thing. Because it's been a thing since before AZ even became a state. Sheriff's have always been able to deputize.

Not to be confused with the Sheriff's Posse, which has no power that any other private citizen does not also have. They drive around in Sheriff Department marked vehicles, which makes some of them think they have some authority, but they don't. It's just a Citizen's patrol, like Block Watch. Observe and report. Gives fat old retirees something to do while they await the reaper.

Hueyville

Post by Hueyville »

I was a "reserve deputy" back in mid 1980's to early 1990's till a new sheriff was elected and chose to drop all people without Post Certification from theach reserve program. Most of the time I was actually living in a different county but this was my home county where my family can trace our heritage back before the Revolutionary War when Georgia was colony so even when I moved across county line the sheriff kept me in the list. Reserve deputies mostly only directed traffic when we had our big fall festival or anything NASCAR/Elliott Family related event/parade.

An adjoining county had a bit of bad press when one of their reserve deputies was arrested on federal charges for manufacturing select fire rifles, selling live mortar rounds, claymore mines, etc. He had a very good reputation as a gunsmith and had a thriving business selling legal firearms but when he got a badge odd looking items started showing up in his shop that he would swear were demilled and 100% legal as display items. He was raided one evening just before he closed, within a couple hours word went around what happened and next morning every one of his clients began getting calls saying he was in a "cash flow" tight and had basically anything a person wanted at fair prices without any NFA paperwork. Oddly only a few people didn't get the heads up and took the bait but it was enough he escaped a trial for a plea deal which was very favorable to him.

There are still counties in Georgia that have programs for non post certified reserve deputies. Oddly a large number are pastors who do concealing in their local municipalities jail and are usually friends with the sherriff. Know more than a half dozen pastors with badges in their pockets but pastors have other rights most don't know. An ordained pastor can inform law enforcement of a person he has counseled and feels is a danger to themselves or others and that person can be held in an accredited institution for up to 30 days for a mental health evaluation. I think if done right reserve deputy programs are a good thing. Most highly populated counties require post certification for reserve deputies in Georgia. At present I only know of about six to eight counties who will put a person on reserve force without post certification but they all require some training in laws and arrest procedures plus have to pass the Georgia Pistol Qualification Course.
(a) An "Emergency Peace Officer" retains the power and authority of a peace officer only for the duration of the emergency or disaster.

(p) "Volunteer" Peace Officer shall be:

1. A reserve officer who is a part-time sworn officer commissioned with peace officer authority and is normally not paid for services provided;

2. An auxiliary officer who is a civilian affiliated with the law enforcement agency in a part-time, unsalaried, non-sworn, support capacity.
Basically they leave the rules loose enough during an emergency smaller counties with very limited employees can pull people in they feel can help during a crisis. Usually these folks fill roles such as prison guards, office staff so post certified officers who normally ride a desk can be put in a car but will sometimes be put in a car with a certified and paid officer as backup but is getting more and more rare.

v guy

Post by v guy »

Cartels deputize selected persons too, by handing them a gun.

Everyone is a deputy, at home, too.

I recommend that when dealing with ANTIFA/BLM groups, that choirs be formed to sing "CAMPTOWN LADIES SING THIS SONG," and other such historical songs, to get them shooting and killing, enabling the police to respond.

Hueyville

Post by Hueyville »

If a group were to decide to march to the U.S. Olympic Rowing venue there are about a dozen likeminded households who once the crowd gets spread out marching in the road suddenly a bunch of Trump 2020 flags will all be hoisted within seconds of each other. Knowing the entitled little bastards could not resist trying to come take very strategically placed flags it would allow their owners to use Georgia Stand Your Ground, Fear of Life and other laws to turn the march into a baited coyote or hog hunt. Since this mess began statistics I have read say one out of ten registered voters are now new gun owners. This does not count people who have always owned guns. Teach gun owners how to goad to protesters into attacking armed citizens and the dynamics may just take a quick and drastic change.

silverAKM

Post by silverAKM »

madmanmccoy wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:34 am
OH BOY.......how long before The GREEK has a Posse.......Ride 'em COWBOY, GO GET 'EM............
"It's easier to fool people than it's to convince them they been fooled." Samuel Clemens(Mark Twain)
"Life is hard, life is even harder if you're stupid and lazy." Marion Morrison(John Wayne)
Black Rifles Matter!