Does your workplace allow you to carry firearms?

One forum to rule them all.. sort of.
MightBeABot

Re: Does your workplace allow you to carry firearms?

Post by MightBeABot »

MACV wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:51 am
I worked at a large defense contractor. They said a gun on their property was grounds for dismissal, even in your car. Then they said if you got caught smoking on their property you could get fired. There was a large group of Missouri country boys that worked there and did what they thought they needed to do. Never heard of anyone getting fired. I'm sure everyone in my office knew I had something in my car. I'm sure some of them did too. Especially during the Ferguson riots which was only a few miles away. I kept a 12 gauge in my truck that summer.
Missouri boys represent! That's what happens around here most of the time!

the gman

Post by the gman »

My workplace REQUIRES me to be armed during work hours, training and any other work related events. I usually have two handguns on me with an AR and 870 in the vehicle. Numerous other stabby things are on my person or in the vehicle... :lol: :lol: :lol:

meltblown

Post by meltblown »

Texas law pretty much says an employer has to allow people to keep them in their car at a parking lot. If you enter a restricted zone though like a security fence say in a refinery, then they can say no. So if you park outside of the fence and walk in, then no problem as long as it's not on you.

Hardheaded

Post by Hardheaded »

Nope, no firearms in company vehicles or utility property

Just kinda takes concealed firearms to a new level

easttex

Post by easttex »

I work for an Australian owned company and the Aussies are completely terrified of firearms; any firearms. I offered to take a colleague to the range one day after work but he respectfully declined.

We have a strict "no firearms on premise" edict written into the handbook as well as the proper 30.06 and 30.07 signage posted at all entrances to the Support Center where I work. I can't vouch for what goes on out at the branches though, particularly since most of them happen to be in the shitty part of town where ever they're located and people don't like to be robbed in the parking lot. I may or may not have accidentally left my G43 in my pack when I worked in Fort Worth (lots of homeless near that location). Where I work now, I'm not as concerned because we have keycode entry and I sit right by an exit. Also, I haven't actually reported to the office since March 18th. At home I'm armed to the teeth. :twisted:

It probably sticks in their craw but they cannot prevent us from keeping a firearm secured in our vehicle in the company parking lot. Our AG likes to go after companies who get uppity about that as well.
  • Nothing worthwhile ever comes easy
  • Amat Victoria Curam
  • Molon Labe

Nev

Post by Nev »

I'd be less concerned about threat from an armed employee of any business than I'd be/am of ordinary people. In fact, knowing a business may or may not have armed employees would make it seem safer to me. If for no other reason, they'd know their jobs are extra extremely on the line if they fuck up. And so employers would be extra careful on who they hire. It's all good.

Invictus77

Post by Invictus77 »

easttex wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:50 pm
I work for an Australian owned company and the Aussies are completely terrified of firearms; any firearms. I offered to take a colleague to the range one day after work but he respectfully declined.
WUT??? I have Aussie customers routinely who come here for FAT (factory acceptance testing) of new equipment before we ship. I almost always bring them here to the farm one afternoon during their visit and let them shoot. One and all have LOVED it and wished they could do it back in OZ.

MACV

Post by MACV »

I worked with some Swiss reps back in the 90s when we were building F-18 C/D aircraft for them. They liked guns but were more interested in shooting lever actions and SAA pistols. They liked John Wayne. I pulled out a AK one time for them to shoot. One guy looked at it and said" Ya Kalishnakov, I can buy these at the border for $50 American". Fun guys to hang out with and they had diplomatic immunity.

easttex

Post by easttex »

Invictus77 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:30 am
easttex wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:50 pm
WUT??? I have Aussie customers routinely who come here for FAT (factory acceptance testing) of new equipment before we ship. I almost always bring them here to the farm one afternoon during their visit and let them shoot. One and all have LOVED it and wished they could do it back in OZ.
My coworkers are of the Melbourne Business School MBA (urban) type. I'm sure they're still adjusting to the fact that we Texans have BBQ guns, truck guns, grocery store guns, easy chair guns, etc.
  • Nothing worthwhile ever comes easy
  • Amat Victoria Curam
  • Molon Labe

Hueyville

Post by Hueyville »

My workplace requires it. For those who show up without a gun or ammo we keep a safe full of range guns as we take regular shooting breaks. Have a sixty foot indoor range that will handle 44 Mag pistol and up to 7.62×39 rifle. It's odd how we can chow down with an AK or SKS with zero damage to strike plates or rear of bullet trap. The strIke plates will even turn steel core 7.62×39 into the reinforced rear without damage. Try even a few rounds of 55 grain 5.56 M193 and every bullet hit burns a hole in the strike plates before being stopped by rear but leaves gouges in the back. Have welded up enough 0.224 holes in strike plates then hardfaced them to know there is a big difference in 5.56 and 7.62×39 but it's nice to be able to run an AK or SKS indoors for grins. 7.62×51 punches a nice hole through strike plate, rear of trap and stops in first layer of steel rear door of building. (That's a real repair job as have to weld up strike plate, rear of trap, door and go over each with a hard facing rod) Can open door, roll trap to rear of loading dock and have a perfect 25 yard range for rim fire but do not shoot centerfire with doors open as neighbors have been known to complain if light up the range with shop doors open. Goal is to build another trap (my steel supplier almost never has AR400 scrap) using harder steel so I can tune the gas systems and buffers on builds in the shop without having to drive to the range.

mattg72

Post by mattg72 »

Our handbook explicitly states no firearms.

I’m just saying what the handbook says...

SmokeEater2

Post by SmokeEater2 »

I retired July 1st so it's not an issue anymore but I did carry a little Smith 638 when I was working although the policy forbid it.

We wound up in too many sketchy places not to and if I had no choice but to use it city policy would have been the least of my worries at the moment.

Mebsuta

Post by Mebsuta »

No and I would look stupid lugging a Garand around anyway.

Nigel Quarterbrain

Post by Nigel Quarterbrain »

Can you carry a cudgel, Mebs?

Jeff in Pa

Post by Jeff in Pa »

Jeff in Pa wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:11 am
Previous employer was 2A friendly and never had a problem.

Current employer is also 2A friendly to the point we have "show and tell" when someone gets something new to them.
Today was another "show and tell" day as I brought in the FAL to show a coworker who is interested in something using the 7.62 x 51

He was mighty impressed with the weight, balance and how easy it moved/swung. ( hook, line and sinker :lol: )

Bandy(2)

Post by Bandy(2) »

Beef Supreme wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:30 pm
Was speaking to a guy... he is a firearms guy, carries concealed. He wasn’t carrying at the moment because his workplace doesn’t permit firearms.

Personally, I say fuck that.
Carry anyway.
I Say carry everywhere. Work, going to the bank, stores, whatever.
Personally I'd prefer to not be riddled with bullets by every CBP officer in sight as I go through the metal detector. So work is off the list lol.
Damnit..... I want my name and 2013 join date back.

blkadder

Post by blkadder »

Currently, I am medically retired, and I have a gun on my hip 98% of the time. When I worked at a local college, they frowned on having guns on campus, but in my briefcase I kept my Colt Combat Commander and two spare mags. When I worked at an auto parts store we had them in our pockets, hid them under the counter. I do live in Florida, also called the gunshine state.
Ron
...Semper Fidelis...

Stoned_Oli

Post by Stoned_Oli »

You know, I didn't ask... :D

MI redneck

Post by MI redneck »

Stoned_Oli wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:07 am
You know, I didn't ask... :D
That's the real don't ask, don't tell policy. ;)

csi-tech

Post by csi-tech »

My Department insists on it. :)

emcroy

Post by emcroy »

My former job, personally owned pistols and issued long guns. My current job in a manufacturing facility strictly forbids it. They have even had random searches of carry in bags in the past. Funniest damn thing is I've never seen it done when folks are leaving. I guarantee some of these folks have outfitted their entire shop from this place lol!

trypcil

Post by trypcil »

It seems that the 2nd is a given, yet so often it is thwarted, and infringed by legalities - odd really!