Have both AM & FM Radio Stations gone to hell?

One forum to rule them all.. sort of.
warp2diesel

Have both AM & FM Radio Stations gone to hell?

Post by warp2diesel »

Thanks to the Pandemic and screwed up flights, I am driving more and not flying to projects. Years ago, I had no problem finding decent AM Talk, FM Country, FM Classical Music, or even Christian vocal music. Now the AM Talk stations fade out sooner, FM Country is fewer and farther between, FM Classical music has been replaced by Woke News and Woke Talk, and the Christian Vocal music has all but disappeared.
Next week, I have over 21 hours of driving and I burned a stack of CDs.

Is it just where I am going mostly the Midwest and just South of the Mason Dixon line. Or, has both AM & FM gone to hell? :twisted:

def90

Re: Have both AM & FM Radio Stations gone to hell?

Post by def90 »

Radio started going bad after they deregulated it and allowed massive corps to buy up all of the stations across the country, now the majority of stations are owned by either iHeart Radio or Comulus Media, together they own over 1200 stations throughout the country.

I ditched radio in the Denver area and I now listen to podcasts.

A J

Post by A J »

I really like listening to Rush. Commercials are my greatest annoyance. Normally, I click away, watch the clock and come back three minutes later.

Eli

Post by Eli »

Deregulation and the subsequent buyout of nearly everything buy Clear Channel a/k/a Queer Channel a/k/a I Heart (who the fuck names a company that?!?!?) has screwed everything up.

Eli

But Its A Dry Heat

Post by But Its A Dry Heat »

A J wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:43 pm
I really like listening to Rush. Commercials are my greatest annoyance. Normally, I click away, watch the clock and come back three minutes later.
I am with you on strongly disliking the commercials.

I drive about 16 miles round trip for work and listen to CD's but to be honest I gave up on our local radio before my present job.
Nuke China Now. Make the world a better place.

Mebsuta

Post by Mebsuta »

Have you tried to listen to Coast to Coast AM lately? The magic is gone. There's no mysterious bumper music, interesting guests or crazy callers. The occasional rolling thunder bumper is the only thing left from the past, but it doesn't make your hair stand up like it did when AB was hosting.

Uncledarryl

Post by Uncledarryl »

Sirius radio is worth the 5 bucks a month.

BillT

Post by BillT »

Sirius/XM is the modern method. Not perfect. But so many opportunities to find your interests.

hkshooter

Post by hkshooter »

Uncledarryl wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:16 pm
How you getting Sirus for $5 a month? Mine is up to $15.

davedude

Post by davedude »

Im working on moving my itunes library to a flash drive i can plug into the head unit in any of my vehicles. Got 3+ days of cd's i bought loaded up in that. My old ipod just died finally so gotta adapt. I want to keep the mp4 format and think i can do it. It worked on my windows 10 laptops using windows media player.
Sirius radio was ok but lacks playlist and is too idiot lefty. Screw them.
Local radio chooses to be lefty ignorant too so screw them too, just like lefty tv i wont watch/listen.

nalioth

Post by nalioth »

Uncledarryl wrote:
Now that everyone has internet on their phones, a bridge from phone to car radio is cheaper.

The phone can be tuned to any radio station on the planet that broadcasts over the internet (not limited to just what's in range, or the "programming" of satellite radio)

BillT

Post by BillT »

Do you have Ernest Tubb doing 'Waltz Across Texas' in your collection? If not, why bother?

Northwest 80D

Post by Northwest 80D »

I guess I'm lucky because we have a couple of pretty good channels locally that cover anything from the 60s to the 80s so there's music from the Beach Boys, to Motown, to ZZ Top, and everything in between.

Uncledarryl

Post by Uncledarryl »

hkshooter wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:50 pm
Uncledarryl wrote:
Just call and tell them you are canceling your service and they will negotiate with you.

Porcupine

Post by Porcupine »

Our local conservative talk radio station has started broadcasting Podcasts a couple hours a day.

If I wanted to listen to lefty podcasts, I’d stream one.

Henry Stevens

Post by Henry Stevens »

warp2diesel wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:07 pm
Thanks to the Pandemic and screwed up flights, I am driving more and not flying to projects. Years ago, I had no problem finding decent AM Talk, FM Country, FM Classical Music, or even Christian vocal music. Now the AM Talk stations fade out sooner, FM Country is fewer and farther between, FM Classical music has been replaced by Woke News and Woke Talk, and the Christian Vocal music has all but disappeared.
Next week, I have over 21 hours of driving and I burned a stack of CDs.

Is it just where I am going mostly the Midwest and just South of the Mason Dixon line. Or, has both AM & FM gone to hell? :twisted:
Talk radio started going bad in the 1990s when the major players started buying up populist programs from local stations. Then they would shelve it. But you could never get decent radio anywhere near major cities---with the exception of Michael Savage who started in San Francisco. Everywhere else Rush and Sean passed for right of center radio and the others were excluded.

Anyone remember Bo Greitz or the Michigan Militia broadcasting nightly? Clinton shut them down after OK City.

It took "Mr. 911", Sean Hannity, ten years to get over a three day story with 911, so that decade was lost for him. He also pimped the Gulf and Iraq Wars for Israel which didn't help him. Meanwhile, Rush was wrapped up in NYC and essentially out of touch with the rest of America at that time.

It is better now and we have more choice now. But anyone who takes a dim view of globalism, neoconism, or Israel will not ever broadcast on major outlets.

hkshooter

Post by hkshooter »

Uncledarryl wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:52 pm
hkshooter wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:50 pm
Uncledarryl wrote:
Just call and tell them you are canceling your service and they will negotiate with you.
Hmm, thanks.

Stoned_Oli

Post by Stoned_Oli »

I have seen Michael Weiner and "decent radio" used in the same sentence again. That's like listening to Chuckie Schumer for 3 hours, and I'm not just talking about his voice.
I too like to listen to Rush, I have IHeartRadio on my phone so I get 2 chances per day to tune in with 2 choices for the 11 AM show.
You can also put in an artist and they will try to piss you off with their idea of "similar" bands. :D

cotter

Post by cotter »

Echo on iheart radio screwing the pooch. Heard Toby Keith make that point with our local dj about 10 years ago. Dj was shocked, shocked I tell youb to hear that a monopoly in the future of music was not a good thing. I think the dj has now come to see what TK was talking about but he's too into his job security to try to buck the system. Funny that cowlumbus has 1 country channel that sucks, 1 decent on the digital -2 band and 2 channels on the same frequency about 50 miles east and west (1 decent 1 good) but they overrun each other. 50 east of lex, ky there are no less than 4 awesome stations and about as many decent stations.

The usb drive is the way to go. Can fit a LOT of music on 1 little drive. Don't forget the library as a source to rip songs from. No matter my mood I always have something good to listen to.

Done the flip around thing on sirius. Usually can find something decent, usually. Not into talk radio, it just seems to piss me off. I've got the other drivers for that.

Gw104

Post by Gw104 »

I turned all that shit off years ago.

Deltaten

Post by Deltaten »

Ahhhh... the golden years of talk. Early Rushbo, early Glenn Beck, Black Avenger, Liddy and a couple of local guys. Never had much time or ear for Savage.
Rush stopped taking calls and making fun of libs. Glenn stopped doing schtick,, found religion and went prepper. Avenger and Liddy went I-net and all but disappeared. Local talk went mealy-mouth.

Couple of channels I check on u-toob for newbie items. The rest are guns and sailing;; tho I am very selective there, too. Lotsa idjits on the toob.

swohfal

Post by swohfal »

Yes. Around here, it's so bad that I laugh when I hear the same songs on multiple stations from earlier in the week being replayed in the exact same order. This isn't just one network family either, but several owners that apparently just keep a loop running of their playlists that happens to coordinate against another station. Champaign, IL wasn't much, but it had a great variety of good stations for such a small metro, as a college town, compared to a city with millions of people in the area. AM isn't much better, with one station forcing Beck down my throat before Rush, then following it with sycophant Hannity pushing GOP talking points, even if they're ludicrous and not very conservative. All other AM stations are focused on sports, even if none are being played.

Pistolero1911

Post by Pistolero1911 »

Haven't listened to either band in 20 years, gone to hell is right.

swohfal

Post by swohfal »

BillT wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:34 pm
Do you have Ernest Tubb doing 'Waltz Across Texas' in your collection? If not, why bother?
In your case, "Back in the USSR" would be more fitting.

Black Blade

Post by Black Blade »

Sirius XM radio ... listen to Patriot Radio (Andrew Wilkow, Hannity, David Webb, etc.), FOX Business, Fox News, etc. Also Grateful Dead channel. Also have BB King's Bluesville radio.