Any Bluegrass fans here?

One forum to rule them all.. sort of.
MACV

Any Bluegrass fans here?

Post by MACV »

I became a fan about 45 years ago and have been listening on and off since then. My grandma and her family were from Eastern Kentucky so I guess that's where I get it from. I went to several Bill Monroe Bluegrass Fests in Bean Blossom (Morgantown) Indiana back in the 70s. Good time. There's a new batch of great musicians around now to carry on the tradition.
I don't think I've heard a prettier voice than Alison Krauss. I still love old rock and blues but lately I've had a hankerin for bluegrass.

Specz

Re: Any Bluegrass fans here?

Post by Specz »

Yep

MACV

Post by MACV »

Specz wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:31 am
Yep
You're a man of few words Specz

chillypepper

Post by chillypepper »

Yep, there is a natural progression of old punk rockers to rockabilly, then bluegrass.

Guys at work hate it when I start playing "hillbilly music". One guy even says "on shit, chilly is playing banjo music again".

I keep a full size 5 string on my dresser. I still suck playing it, but I'm getting better. I'll never be good, but my dog don't mind much.

Plagued

Post by Plagued »

Love it.

I pretty much only listen to Jazz, Classical and Bluegrass. Instrumentals do it for me but I don't mind some good melody as well.

tommygun2000.

Post by tommygun2000. »

I listen to it once in a while but can't take a steady diet of it. There's some real talented individuals and groups out there.

hebie82

Post by hebie82 »

I listen to all kinds. Used to hang out at a dump of a bar to listen to some bluegrass. Now, there are times I feel the need to listen to train robbing music Ill listen to The Dead South. If you can imagine a Indian, a hillbilly, a Texan, and a Amish dude getting together to sing a murder ballad you got my favorite song. Devil Makes Three and Shakey Graves too.
Last edited by hebie82 on Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
One of them girls that peels off the Bud Light label

cotter

Post by cotter »

Yes. As 'country' music moves further frpm its roots I am gravitating to bluegrass more and more. Even what I guess is called 'Americana' is on the playlist.

Invictus77

Post by Invictus77 »

MACV wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:25 am
I became a fan about 45 years ago and have been listening on and off since then.
Same here and same time frame. I was about 10 then and spending the night at a friend's house. His two brothers were several years older and they played the John Hartford album Mark Twang. I've been hooked ever since.

PS - I still have my vinyl version of Mark Twang here along with many other albums :D

chillypepper

Post by chillypepper »

hebie82 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:19 am
I listen to all kinds. Used to hang out at a dump of a bar to listen to some bluegrass. Now, there are times I feel the need to listen to train robbing music Ill listen to The Dead South. If you can imagine a Indian, a hillbilly, a Texan, and a Amish dude getting together to sing a murder ballad you got my favorite song. Devil Makes Three and Shakey Graves too.
Add in the Heavy Horses, any Uncle Lucius, and you have most of my current playlist.

K98al

Post by K98al »

Check out "The Native Howl" - their tune "Harvester of Constant Sorrow" is the Most American song since "Choctaw Bingo".

And yes, bluegrass is awesome.

Pogue_Mahone

Post by Pogue_Mahone »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4sqishGuYw

Don't tell me those licks that these guys were laying down in the 1940s weren't a part of the germ of rock and roll.

Dos Ak's

Post by Dos Ak's »

A Bluegrass Festival is hard to beat, a little shine and good times.

Broncowilly

Post by Broncowilly »

I love bluegrass! I've also had a taste for Western Swing for about 50 years! Bob Wills, Pee Wee King, Hank Penny, Bill Boyd to name a few.

voron

Post by voron »

man I am in a wrong thread.......LOL
go fuck your mask

warp2diesel

Post by warp2diesel »

Bluegrass Music is much more relaxing than MSM news, especially on long drives.

lowprone

Post by lowprone »

Was just listening to Old and in the Way album, Jerry Garcia playing banjo, Vassar Clements, John Khamp ect.

History

Post by History »

For you lucky enough to have a "good" ear, you'll appreciate what's going on in this song. You may not like the music but you can't denie the talent. All star crew on stage. https://youtu.be/rVl1ibykWZU

chillypepper

Post by chillypepper »

Dos Ak's wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:17 pm
A Bluegrass Festival is hard to beat, a little shine and good times.
Muddy roots. Rode a greyhound for 3 states to go a few years back.

cotter

Post by cotter »

History wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:28 pm
For you lucky enough to have a "good" ear, you'll appreciate what's going on in this song. You may not like the music but you can't denie the talent. All star crew on stage. https://youtu.be/rVl1ibykWZU
Dem hillbillies can jam now!

Claymore

Post by Claymore »

yes, over 25 years

Broncowilly

Post by Broncowilly »

hebie82 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:19 am
Admit it, you are a Doug Kershaw and Buckwheat Zidaco fan!

Chewbacca_chumps29*

Post by Chewbacca_chumps29* »

Oh yeah. Flatt & Scruggs and the Foggy Mountain Boys

slmjim

Post by slmjim »

Some of my fondest memories as a young adult are from the old Bluegrass Festivals on the riverfront Belvedere in Louisville, KY. Three full days of the best Bluegrass bands on earth once a year. Lots of good pickin' in the crowd between sets too, sometimes with visiting musicians before & after their sets.
I'm no fan of Public Broadcasting, but the weekend show labeled "Woodsongs Old Time Radio Hour" often features good Bluegrass bandss. There was also a documentary series on PB not long ago about the history of Bluegrass music I regret not recording.

Invictus77

Post by Invictus77 »

slmjim wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:53 pm
Bluegrass Festivals on the riverfront Belvedere in Louisville, KY.
Not far from me on the Henderson KY riverfront, they have an annual bluegrass, a blues, and a songwriter festivals. All three start in the mornings, so me a a buddy always take that Saturday AM to go cat fishing on the river and try to stay within earshot of the bands if the fish cooperate. Same thing over at Owensboro KY for their big bluegrass festival :D