Mailing a USPS flat rate box to an overseas US military base

One forum to rule them all.. sort of.
Invictus77

Mailing a USPS flat rate box to an overseas US military base

Post by Invictus77 »

I thought I had read one time you could use USPS flat rates at the same US price if they were going to a US military base overseas (in this case South Korea). My Google-fu is not finding that answer however.

Anyone know??

yellowhand

Re: Mailing a USPS flat rate box to an overseas US military base

Post by yellowhand »

Used to be, you only paid postage to the place it departs the country from.
Been a while since I retired.
All the stuff we got mailed to us in Europe all them years, postage was to NY.
Earlier, to the far east, was San Diego, If memory serves me correct.
Just call your local post office and ask them for rates going to an APO or FPO address.

yellowhand

Post by yellowhand »

Oh, and pack in candy and sweets, limited availability overseas.:)LOL

yovinny

Post by yovinny »

They have priority mail APO flat rate boxes,, for mailing to APO's...I dont know if their any different then regular ones though,,, I havent sent one in a decade...

Invictus77

Post by Invictus77 »

Thanks Paul! The wife is waiting to hear from her sister after work and she will know. It is something she wants to send our nephew, the sister's boy.

And, yes it will also be filled with orange slices and some other goodies. Me and that nephew are the only one's in the family that will eat orange slices. She better send it soon however as they look pretty damn tempting sitting there in the kitchen :D

idsubgun

Post by idsubgun »

Everything you need to know.........

https://www.usps.com/ship/apo-fpo-dpo.htm

Invictus77

Post by Invictus77 »

idsubgun wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:10 pm
Everything you need to know.........

https://www.usps.com/ship/apo-fpo-dpo.htm
If we still had our :BOW: emoji, you would get a whole handful of them bro!!!

nalioth

Post by nalioth »

You won't be mailing anything to an overseas military installation.

Your packages go to New York, and then via military transport to whichever destination.

Flat rate pricing is flat rate pricing.

yellowhand

Post by yellowhand »

Invictus77 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:08 pm
Thanks Paul! The wife is waiting to hear from her sister after work and she will know. It is something she wants to send our nephew, the sister's boy.

And, yes it will also be filled with orange slices and some other goodies. Me and that nephew are the only one's in the family that will eat orange slices. She better send it soon however as they look pretty damn tempting sitting there in the kitchen :D
Beef jerky is always good to send along too. :D
Chew also, even if the boy does not indulge, he can trade that stuff,pay off his poker losses,,several cans of Copenhagen can go a long way. :lol:
Military got on a health kick, so some stuff hard to come by.
No foot powder or chap stick,,,that crap is coming out of everyone's ears.

I caused a near riot once.
Had my old man, send me a couple of six packs of Mountain Dew to Germany, when that stuff was impossible to get there.
Stuck them in the fridge, got them ice cold, and then walked around the Kaserne drinking one.
As people saw me,,"where did you get that?", down at the Beverage Store!!!!!! :lol:

My boss laughed his ass off,,and then begged for one!!!! ;)

tac-40

Post by tac-40 »

NALIOTH is correct. As long as it is going to an APO or FPO, the only extra thing you will have to do is fill out a customs form declaring what is inside the package. Sent them for several years to my son and his family (birthdays and Xmas) while he was stationed overseas.

jugrunner

Post by jugrunner »

IIRC the best orange slices I've ever had came from Muth's Candies in Louisville, Ky. .. Not cheap but the very best .. !!!

Invictus77

Post by Invictus77 »

tac-40 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:52 pm
As long as it is going to an APO or FPO
I don't know either of those terms, but Blondzilla talked with her sister and has the details, I was also corrected that South Korea was the previous posting and he went to Afghanistan this trip.

He should be in one of the safer spots over there, but he does have a wife, a toddler, and a baby that want him back home safe if you feel the urge to send up a prayer.

yellowhand

Post by yellowhand »

Invictus77 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:31 pm
tac-40 wrote:
I don't know either of those terms, but Blondzilla talked with her sister and has the details, I was also corrected that South Korea was the previous posting and he went to Afghanistan this trip.

He should be in one of the safer spots over there, but he does have a wife, a toddler, and a baby that want him back home safe if you feel the urge to send up a prayer.
Army post office or Fleet post office for the navy and marines.

Does the Air force use the APO????

nalioth

Post by nalioth »

Invictus77 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:31 pm
tac-40 wrote:

Army (or Air Force) Post Office
Fleet Post Office (Navy & Marine Corp)

All mail destined for those serving outside of CONUS (CONtinental United States) goes through one of the above.

Invictus77

Post by Invictus77 »

yellowhand wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:37 pm
IDK, but he is in the air force. In civilian terms, he is a maintenance foreman over airport support equipment. Tugs, air compressors, generators, fuel pumps, etc., basically everything on the tarmac that is not an actual aircraft. I have no idea of how the AF does their ratings, but he is in for a year or so now of his second 6-year enlistment and is at a supervisory level of some sort. AF equivalent to a sargent maybe????

nalioth

Post by nalioth »

Invictus77 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:48 pm
yellowhand wrote:
IDK, but he is in the air force.
The Army Post Office predates the Air Force.

When the Army Air Corp was split off into the US Air Force, the APO continued to serve both services.

Specz

Post by Specz »

FYI the ROK isn't like the sandbox, American goods/sweets/etc are prevalent there. Always thought it was funny family would send me care packages when I was stationed there. Yes it's APO in AF.

yellowhand

Post by yellowhand »

Invictus77 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:48 pm
yellowhand wrote:
IDK, but he is in the air force. In civilian terms, he is a maintenance foreman over airport support equipment. Tugs, air compressors, generators, fuel pumps, etc., basically everything on the tarmac that is not an actual aircraft. I have no idea of how the AF does their ratings, but he is in for a year or so now of his second 6-year enlistment and is at a supervisory level of some sort. AF equivalent to a sargent maybe????
I thought you'd mentioned him being AF before.
With all the troubles of the past 20 years, rank has been coming fast and furious for the kids, a good thing with all they have to put up with.
Afghanistan came after I retired, but I made it to both India, which was nice,(for me) and Pakistan,ugh, which is an armpit of the devil.
Trump just announce 12,000 coming out of Germany, half back to states and half to other areas.
Maybe, he'll just pull the plug on Afghanistan and pull all of our people out of that hell hole.
Can't happen quick enough.

yellowhand

Post by yellowhand »

Specz wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:05 am
FYI the ROK isn't like the sandbox, American goods/sweets/etc are prevalent there. Always thought it was funny family would send me care packages when I was stationed there. Yes it's APO in AF.
I was never assigned to the ROK, jumped into it once, after a long ass flight, then spent 10 days doing absolutely nothing, except asking, when are we leaving. :lol: