Re: Saturday lunch meet up in Denton, Texas

Post by meltblown »

medicmike wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:15 am
jugrunner wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:53 pm
medicmike wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:03 am
Well damn, looks about 6 weeks too soon for me. Just got a callback today from a potential employer in Plano. Starting to look like this Yank may be heading that direction in a month or so...
Oh boy .. another yankee in Taxus .. :lol:
I'll try my best to fit in.

Looking at boots and 10 gallon hats :D
Eventually you realize cowboy rubber soled boots, a pickup and Wrangler jeans get you pretty much a pass. The more cow crap on your boots is a bonus. AKA shit kicker is double bonus with a decent belt and ball cap Texas is not about the big cities. It's the one Sonic and Dollar General towns that I'm looking for and a hour ride to the closest Wally

James

Post by James »

WOW! What a great lunch Robin and I had with BIll T and ExCan. Haven't seen Bill in maybe 6-8 years and he hadn't changed at all, both in looks and talking. Good seeing you again Ernie, but it was only since the last shoot for you. Sweetwater Grill servers up some good food.

James

jugrunner

Post by jugrunner »

medicmike wrote:
jugrunner wrote:
medicmike wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:03 am
Well damn, looks about 6 weeks too soon for me. Just got a callback today from a potential employer in Plano. Starting to look like this Yank may be heading that direction in a month or so...

You'll be fine .. There's still a lot of good folks there .. !! .. :D

Good luck with your new job .. !!

medicmike

Post by medicmike »

meltblown wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:52 am
medicmike wrote:
jugrunner wrote:

Eventually you realize cowboy rubber soled boots, a pickup and Wrangler jeans get you pretty much a pass. The more cow crap on your boots is a bonus. AKA shit kicker is double bonus with a decent belt and ball cap Texas is not about the big cities. It's the one Sonic and Dollar General towns that I'm looking for and a hour ride to the closest Wally
I'm hoping to get established and find a reasonably priced little piece of dirt within an hour and a half of the metro area. HP provides a car and gas card so the drive will just be my time. Have a good belt from Hank's but mostly wear 511s, hope that'll work. Will need to find a place to shoot. I know it isn't like the NW where most of the state is public land.

BillT

Post by BillT »

medicmike Texas is different from the northwestern US. Texas was admitted to the Union by treaty and passage of laws in both of the Congressional delegations. Texas is the only Republic admitted to the Union. Texas kept its public lands. By population we are now the third largest state.

There are many gun ranges and other places to shoot. In Dallas the Trinity River provides a very large range. Welcome.

chillypepper

Post by chillypepper »

Would have tried if I'd known a friend was heading that way. I didn't find out he was going that way until he was already there. Split the cost and whatnot. To late now. Hopefully it was an enjoyable time.

BillT

Post by BillT »

We may meet again next month. Planning.

2barearms

Post by 2barearms »

meltblown wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:37 am
BillT wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:30 am
meltblown wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:22 am

Where you been sailor? Long time no see. It ain't forever and he ain't getting back in.
Wanna bet?
1:4 odds. I'll bet 500K against your $2M and spread the love behind the scenes. You're still a dick.

Melt tell us how you really feel about Bill😀........so for the record if we don’t have to deal with Sailor, Billy, G1useless, Juanita and host of others it won’t be a moment too soon....who needs a bunch of fucking brick throwing, window breaking, spray painting, anti trump lunatic antifa on the board......ijs

BillT

Post by BillT »

Come join us 2barearms next month. May move it closer to DAllas or in DAllas some where.

meltblown

Post by meltblown »

2barearms wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:55 pm
meltblown wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:37 am
BillT wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:30 am

Wanna bet?
1:4 odds. I'll bet 500K against your $2M and spread the love behind the scenes. You're still a dick.

Melt tell us how you really feel about Bill😀........so for the record if we don’t have to deal with Sailor, Billy, G1useless, Juanita and host of others it won’t be a moment too soon....who needs a bunch of fucking brick throwing, window breaking, spray painting, anti trump lunatic antifa on the board......ijs
I'm sure in person he's a decent guy. I just remember his tirades before. Juanita is one that I haven't missed. He's a damn broken record. I think a fat girl broke his heart back in the day.

BillT

Post by BillT »

Now meltblown you can join us at the next lunch. Probably James next target shoot can be expanded to BBQ FAL exams and repairs on site. Cannot know till we decide.

meltblown

Post by meltblown »

BillT wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:09 pm
Now meltblown you can join us at the next lunch. Probably James next target shoot can be expanded to BBQ FAL exams and repairs on site. Cannot know till we decide.
I've attended the last 3 river shoots. It's one of my favorite things to do. I ain't driving from SA to Denton, though, to eat lunch as that is a bridge too far. I wouldn't mind meeting you.

BillT

Post by BillT »

We might put on a zoom meeting. We talked with James about putting on a major event on the Trinity. I have four wheel BBQ smoker that I plan to bring. I suspect it will be a two day event. So planning is necessary.

meltblown

Post by meltblown »

What would be great is to do it when the weather is good and just camp out for a night. Maybe a couple of porta johns. I'd throw $100 or so into a kitty. Wife ain't pooping in the woods.

BillT

Post by BillT »

I thought about camping. I am for it. Randy Kline (Sledgehammer) could only come Sunday but his knowledge about FALs is un matched.

Invictus77

Post by Invictus77 »

BillT wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:21 pm
We might put on a zoom meeting. We talked with James about putting on a major event on the Trinity. I have four wheel BBQ smoker that I plan to bring. I suspect it will be a two day event. So planning is necessary.
I've made the last couple of James' shoots. I would be in :D

BillT

Post by BillT »

We can add you. I will put you on the list.

meltblown

Post by meltblown »

Sitting around the fire with libations is something that would be great. Clean up the place, pack up and drive back the next day. It would be great to see Randy again. For now I am built out for the a good while. Yeah, the right kit comes along then maybe take a T2 upper on short gas and re-purpose.
But no cold weather. We consider getting close to I20 as yankeeland by the late part of the year. Too damn cold up there
Last edited by meltblown on Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Invictus77

Post by Invictus77 »

BillT wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:39 pm
We can add you. I will put you on the list.
James and Robin were at my place a couple weeks ago for my KY FAL shoot. He has all my contact info as needed.

ExCan

Post by ExCan »

What a awesome time we had at Sweetwater Grille.
Bill, James and I hung around afterwards and just shot the breeze for an hour or two. Good to catch up on old (to me) times.
Much went on here for years when I was waiting to be approved, read about it on here, saw it occur, just couldn’t comment. I was even able to get the 56 Meteor out for some real exercise and yes, she’ll easily do triple digits with that 312 mill.

Bill and I talked later on the phone and I think we can put something special together later in the year. A build and tune clinic, maybe some shooting and general FAL tips from longtime FAL shooters that should be passed down to the younger generations.
We’re all getting a bit long in the tooth, even me banging up on 60, I’m the youngster here. But with James, Bill, Randy, David, Myself and a few others, we should be able to put something together.

Bill’s just up the road from my shop, so we’ll be able to make it happen over a few cocktails, I expect.

As for the rest of you convicts, when you’re in the area, reach out to me. Coffee’s always on, and despite me not always being here online, I’m always around in person.

Invictus, got your message, my friend, and we’ll get together again soon, I hope. We had Joy’s Dad’s funeral right around the Kentucky shindig, so it just didn’t work out.

Look for the possibility of great things to happen later this year. Bill and James done went and lit my fuse.... dag nabbitt!
A refugee from FalFiles.

medicmike

Post by medicmike »

Well it's official....guess I'm gonna' be a Texan. Job offer came through for HP, most of my customers are going to be in Plano. Put my 2 week notice in today. I report to work on the 31st. Hell, divorce, new job, new town, new state....lot's of life-changes. Anyone know of a decent 2 bedroom (or 1 and a den) apartment within a reasonable commute of Plano? A reasonably priced rental house would be even better.... Just going to bring a few tools, my gun/reloading stuff, ham radio gear and clothes...selling and/or leaving everything else. Would be wonderful if I can bring the dog but everywhere I have found has a weight limit for pets and he is well past the 100 lb mark. Looking forward to meeting some of the Texas contingent of the FAL Files.

Hebrew Battle Rifles

Post by Hebrew Battle Rifles »

medicmike wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:38 am
within a reasonable commute of Plano? A reasonably priced rental house
Have you actually been to Plano?
There are no such things as enough time, money, or ammo.

Flex-start

Post by Flex-start »

I am sure you will find a WELCOME!

BillT

Post by BillT »

medicmike wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:38 am
Well it's official....guess I'm gonna' be a Texan. Job offer came through for HP, most of my customers are going to be in Plano. Put my 2 week notice in today. I report to work on the 31st. Hell, divorce, new job, new town, new state....lot's of life-changes. Anyone know of a decent 2 bedroom (or 1 and a den) apartment within a reasonable commute of Plano? A reasonably priced rental house would be even better.... Just going to bring a few tools, my gun/reloading stuff, ham radio gear and clothes...selling and/or leaving everything else. Would be wonderful if I can bring the dog but everywhere I have found has a weight limit for pets and he is well past the 100 lb mark. Looking forward to meeting some of the Texas contingent of the FAL Files.
We will teach you to speak Texan. y'all is singular. All y'all is plural. Fixin to is about your future plans. Get it? There are many other things.

ExCan

Post by ExCan »

The good thing about Plano is that it’s centrally located in North Texas. Physically, Plano is huge, really spread out.
So within a 30-45 minute drive, you’ll find several smaller towns where you can pick up a place reasonably cheap.
That’s what we did. My shop’s in Lewisville, Joy worked in Dallas, so we. bought a place in Anna, which is about an hour from either of our works.

Now, you’d need to go out a bit further, but if you don’t mind a commute on a freeway, there’s good cheap property to be had.
Plano itself has gotten pretty expensive, depending on where you look.
A refugee from FalFiles.