The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old September 26, 2002, 20:01   #1
Der Scharfuhrer
Registered

FALaholic #: 6502
Cheek Piece for L1a1?

So, I put a new 5 - 20 X50 scope on my L1A1. It looks totally awesome and shoots well. We had it out at the range and it's amazing how clear the view is. It's got great eye relief but here's the problem. With the scope set up the way it is on the New Generation Receiver Cover and High mount rings from Tapco, I can't get a good "weld" on the stock. I think I need a cheek piece to raise the stock. Anybody have any experience with anything out on the Market? If so, where can I locate such a thing?
Thanks for the help.
Old September 27, 2002, 07:10   #2
Master Blaster
Registered

FALaholic #: 946
I am not aware of any product commercially available that will correct your problem. You may have to resort to a home made remedy.
Master Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2002, 14:24   #3
Der Scharfuhrer
Registered

I know DSA has a velcro on cheek rest. I might try it.
Old September 27, 2002, 20:26   #4
Falfegnügen
Registered

FALaholic #: 4275
Something I've considered is a Garand lace-up leather cheep pad. I've seen them, but don't really know if they would fit well on the FAL. being laced up, it looks like there might be room to adjust the fit. I've seen these on eBay for fairly reasonable prices. Maybe someone here has more experience with the Garand Cheek Pad???
Falfegnügen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2002, 22:43   #5
couguar
Registered

FALaholic #: 5008
the garand style cheek pad pushes your face to the left, and not up ( scope is set to the left to allow normal loading of the garand ). see pic:

awhile back i had found a really nice slip on cheek pad, that was adjustable with different foam inserts, but i believe i have lost that link.

if i can find it, or something similar, i'll post another reply.
Old September 27, 2002, 22:56   #6
couguar
Registered

FALaholic #: 5008
ok. found it ( gotta love search engines ).

and i knew it had something to do with bears....

bear tooth products: comb raiser

also found a leather one at cabela's

hope this helps.

Old September 28, 2002, 07:07   #7
Der Scharfuhrer
Registered

Thanks Guys,
The one from Beartooth looks like it'll fit the bill. I like the idea of being able to adjust it. The one Cabela's has has to be ordered for a specific height. I'll be ordering from Beartooth soon.
Old September 28, 2002, 11:39   #8
archy
Registered

FALaholic #: 533
The stock comb cheekpiece from the Enfield #4-based L42A1 sniper's rifle doesn't appear to be a likely drop-on part that'd work on an L1A1 or FAL without considerable rework, but in the event the Beartooth unit prooves to be unsuitable or unavailable, the L42A1 design might be a starting place for a custom add-on.

-archy-/-

Ah, they don't have a soul like a Vincent '52"

-Richard John Thompson
1952 Vincent Black Lightning
archy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2002, 13:45   #9
cabinetman
Registered

FALaholic #: 7264
I've been experimenting with cheekpieces for a while for the L1A1 and a couple of other rifles. Here'a picture of one that I discovered in my 'net travels:

This one is on a CETME but could easily work on any straight top stock like the L1, I think.

This one is on an FN49 and might also work.

The FN49 one can be easily manufactured and I've made a couple and am trying them out on my CETME and the L1. I'm reluctant to use a leather lace on as it would appear to be a little dated on such a "modern" rifle.

Hope this helps a little.

Rome
cabinetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2002, 15:00   #10
Der Scharfuhrer
Registered

There's an idea. I could get the beartooth and start working on a custom piece. How would you go about attaching a custum piece to the top of the stock? I'm running a plastic British stock on mine.
Old September 28, 2002, 15:12   #11
bykerhd
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2798
I've been playing with one of the Velcro-on set-ups DSA sells. It comes with a couple different thicknesses of foam so the comb height can be adjusted. I am not sure I would want to consider it a permanent addition (aesthetics to me) but it will certainly work.
bykerhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2002, 15:28   #12
Der Scharfuhrer
Registered

Hey Bykerhd,
You know, I saw that velcro job on DSA's website. Other than the look, what have you got to say about the performance? Does it work well on lifting your eye higher? Does it stay put, or does it move around when you shoot? How easy is it to adjust the foam in it and does the foam stay pretty firm?
Old September 28, 2002, 16:03   #13
bykerhd
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2798
I'm using it on a Vepr. Very skinny stock at the front. Seems to stay put ok. The foam is 3? thicknesses that you put in whatever combination you need. The foam is soft enough to bend but doesn't compress much. I think you could substitute any material you wanted as long as it is the right size and will bend ok. Three velcro straps keep it on. There is some kind of rubber/like material on the underside which seems to keep it from moving around much. I bought it to use when I feel like using a scope and so I can take it back off when I don't.
bykerhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2002, 22:45   #14
thanatos56
Registered

FALaholic #: 3185
Quote:
Originally posted by Der Scharfuhrer
Hey Bykerhd,
You know, I saw that velcro job on DSA's website. Other than the look, what have you got to say about the performance? Does it work well on lifting your eye higher? Does it stay put, or does it move around when you shoot? How easy is it to adjust the foam in it and does the foam stay pretty firm?
Used the "Rail-rest" with the DSA "X-stock"; have used their "Cheek-rest" with straight comb stocks, and large objective scopes...

Used the dropped comb X-stock because of how low the scope sits on this rifle... objective bell is below the top of the handguard, the receiver cover/scope mount had to be trimmed considerably to fit between the bells (using 1/4" rise rings). Rear sight slider removed, then the base trimmed...

Either one can be adjusted for thickness, and moving the foam around can change the weld. The Rail-rest on the X-stock stays in place better, while the Cheek-rest on the straight comb stocks tends to slide forward after a few hundred rounds. No big deal, unless you carve out a section of the foam to get your weld.

Took a CAR-15 cheekrest, and dremeled it out so that it slides on over an X-stock. Have another project (with a 56mm objective) in the works, and the CAR-15 cheekrest will be epoxied to the synthetic stock.

Last edited by thanatos56; September 28, 2002 at 22:48.
thanatos56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 09, 2002, 20:14   #15
Gloftoe
Registered

FALaholic #: 5372
Here's an interesting question. With one of the lace-up leather cheekpieces, what do you do with the leather lace, once you've reached the end of the cheekpiece? It just kinda hangs there.

-Gloftoe
Gloftoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2002, 04:24   #16
swingset
Registered

FALaholic #: 4806
Pull it thru the closed laces, so they "gobble it up", or cut it if you're not going to take it off. You can always buy more leather "shoelaces" for it for $.99, so no big dilemna there.

This is what I did.