The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old March 04, 2019, 23:24   #1
Near Sighted Sniper
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 536
I would like to share Saturday's gun store experience with you...

Hey guys, just want to share my gun shop experience with you this past Saturday.

So I had to drop my kids off to the wife on my way into work [she sells paparizzi jewelry at little craft fairs] & luckily for me there was a gun shop about a mile away from where she was. So after I dropped the kiddies off to her I decided to stop in & check things out. The place was crowded but there was an open space near the cash register so I head over there, immediately I see the unmistakable front ends of 2 M1 Garand's, I was patiently waiting for the clerk to finish up what he was doing & I was going to ask him to see the M1's but while I was waiting I noticed that there was an Enfield No4Mk1 sitting there also, I couldn't tell but it looked like there was a scope on it too. So instead of inquiring about the M1's I asked to see the Enfield.
He turned around, picked it up & handed it to me, as soon as it was in my hands I realized that it was my Holy Grail!!! He had just handed me a No4Mk1 T. I couldn't believe it, I was expecting to see some bubba hack job with a Tapco scope mount & a Chinese scope. But this looked to me to be the real deal, I have been wanting one of these for over 20 years & I have done a little research on them, so I started looking for markings, what I found first was the S51 stamp on the underside of the stock, then I looked at the scope & the thing is a little cruddy with markings that I thought I recognized as originals. I immediately looked for the "T" & it was right where I thought it should be. Everything else started falling into place. I was in utter disbelief!!!
Now for the moment I was dreading, lets look at the price tag. What's this?? There's no price on it, it just said Enfield No4. The gentleman that handed it to me was watching me with a look of boredom on his face, I asked him why there was no price on it. His [almost] exact words were "We really don't know what it is, it's been sitting here for over a month & were waiting on a guy to stop in & tell us what it is & what it's worth. I asked him if I could leave my contact info so when they did price it they could call me & I would buy it. He said no and that it would only get lost. Just call once a week to see if he stopped by. I said OK, who do I ask for? He gave me a name & that dude just happened to be walking by so I asked him, any idea when you'll have a price? His response was, Hell, I'll put a price on it right now.
He said 5. I say Thousand? He looked at me like I was an idiot and said No, $500. I said, well if you want $500 for it I'll buy it right now. His response.... Ok let me get you some paperwork. 15 minutes later [which felt like an ETERNITY] I was walking out the door with my Holy Grail, the best Sniper rifle of WW2. The Enfield No4Mk1 T!!!!!!
The funny thing is that on Wednesday Feb 27th a package arrived from the UK, it was a scope mount from Mr. Roger Paine for the No4 Mk1 T clone I was going to build, a few weeks prior to that I spoke with Brian @ BDL LTD about putting together a clone on a really nice No4 Mk1 that I have.
I can't believe the timing!!! I have been wanting this rifle for over 20 years & not only did I find it but I got the deal of a lifetime on it. I can't wait to get her out & see how she shoots. The bore is nice & shiny with pretty decent rifling.

A little more info
The serial # on the underside of the stock near the muzzle is the same as the ones on the bolt handle & receiver ring, the scope serial does not match & neither does the # on the mount. The stock is really Beautiful, however the 3rd sling keeper is missing from in front of the magazine. The screws on the front pad are peened [1 each] I can't tell about the rear pad because I really don't want to remove the mount just to see, basically I don't want to mess my new baby up. The leather connecting "arm?" that connects the front & rear lens covers has ripped off, wasn't there when I bought it but these covers look way too good to be old so I'm guessing that this part is a repro.

This screw is painted red, any idea why? I found out that a painted red W means waterproof & a painted blue B means bloomed, but haven't read anything about a red screw.
Also don't really know what Bloomed means LOL.

Last edited by Near Sighted Sniper; March 04, 2019 at 23:33.
Near Sighted Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 05, 2019, 00:00   #2
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
Beautiful rifle brother! Well done,!
Jarhead504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 05, 2019, 02:32   #3
swedishmauser
Registered

FALaholic #: 76539
Congratulations. Nice story.
swedishmauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 05, 2019, 06:04   #4
pl521
Registered

FALaholic #: 74645
Congrats! Looks like a very nice rifle. Good things come to those who waits. Just for reference how much would does a rare No4Mk1 T rifle normally sell?
pl521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 05, 2019, 06:07   #5
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Painted screws red on the SUIT. Don't know why. Maybe the nitrogen purging hole, as in "operator leave alone!":
Old March 05, 2019, 06:46   #6
gentlemanjoe
Registered

FALaholic #: 77676
I love stories like this. Congratulations.
gentlemanjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 05, 2019, 09:53   #7
JColdIron
Registered

FALaholic #: 24587
That's a beaut!

Don't bother buying a lottery ticket this month. Pretty sure you used up all your luck!
JColdIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 05, 2019, 09:57   #8
kev
Old Fart
Contributor

FALaholic #: 71
You should have asked about the Garands,....they probably wanted $20 apiece for those old things.

RUE?
kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 05, 2019, 16:07   #9
Near Sighted Sniper
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

I called them, the M1's are $1800 & $1999. They are both SA rifles that came from the CMP. They didn't sound like anything special.
Old March 05, 2019, 16:22   #10
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
I hope you can feel me hating on you.

j/k grats...but I want one of those also.

"Itís hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead."
stimpsonjcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 05, 2019, 16:34   #11
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
That was a heck of a good buy,if you like Enfields. Congrats on your acquisition.
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 05, 2019, 17:57   #12
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
looks right as rain.
Picked one up in a pawn shop in the late 90s, nearly identical for $350

So we swap paper, guys asks if I want the box ?
What box ?
Dealer tells me the guy he bought it from made a wood box for it.
Sure okay
Yeah original transit chest

Most of these are mismatched mount to gun, don't know why.
kinda sad as the mounts were hand fitted to the pads that are silver soldered to the receiver and some won't shoot worth shit because of that

anyways I'm betting even the covers are period
Great snag

We have went through a fair number of Ts since the 70s

btw, my speculation is the scopes had been removed from these initially and offered in a lot
The older imports in chests are generally fully matching. The late 60s imported guns often are not.
Riversidesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 06, 2019, 21:00   #13
BiGB808
Registered

FALaholic #: 18195
Dam that is sweet.

I thought this was a post from year 2002
Old March 06, 2019, 21:41   #14
steves2
Registered

FALaholic #: 62603
How can someone work in a gun store and have so little idea about a rifle like that?🤔
Well done!
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields."

John McCrae (1915)
steves2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 07, 2019, 00:05   #15
Near Sighted Sniper
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steves2 View Post
How can someone work in a gun store and have so little idea about a rifle like that?🤔
Well done!
Tell me about it, I was in a different shop a while back & asked to see "The M1
Garand" Dude asked me which one was that, I had to point it out to him. Un-F'N Believable!!!! I don't know why anybody would hire a person like that to work behind the counter of a gun store!!

On the other hand.... I'm kinda glad that this shop hired people with absolutely zero knowledge of C&R guns, I made out like a bandit!!!
Old March 07, 2019, 09:01   #16
HelpiFALanCantGetUp
Registered

FALaholic #: 66011
Quote:
Well done!

they didnt look or care to look. at the end of the day theyre employess. they get paid the same regardless of what they find or how much money they make the boss.

HelpiFALanCantGetUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 07, 2019, 09:27   #17
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
Good on you Brother Near Sighted Sniper. I'm glad that Enfield will be in a good home where someone who knows what it is and what it is worth will take care of it.

Keep up the good work.

Jarhead
Jarhead504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 07, 2019, 09:58   #18
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
Congratulations.

It's nice to see a grail gun find its' way home.

Now, if I could somehow come across that used Delisle, all would be right in the world.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 09, 2019, 11:49   #19
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
As they say, sometimes, "even the blind chicken gets some of the rice"!
V guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 09, 2019, 15:40   #20
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
OK, you took a hell of a beating on that nasty old piece of junk, but i'll give ya 50 bux for it and let you minimize your losses right now...
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesnít appeal to you, youíre a frikkin' pansy. Also, youíre probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 09, 2019, 22:13   #21
ncjeeper
Registered

FALaholic #: 65663
Cool story. Nice score.
Old March 10, 2019, 12:26   #22
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
I add my congratulations!

Sometimes things work out, rarely, but sometimes...

It's a beautiful rifle.

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2019, 00:51   #23
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
Quote:
Well done!
Well because itís not black, an AR or an AK. Kids these days donít know about some of the classic firearms.
grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2019, 14:22   #24
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Keep in mind that there is a shitload of different guns out there. No one can know everything, even me...

But I do try to find out when selling or buying something...

And I rarely run across a score like this one...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2019, 16:57   #25
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy1 View Post
Well because itís not black, an AR or an AK. Kids these days donít know about some of the classic firearms.
Often isn't "kids"

Couple years back a gun show buddy was showing me his new to him G43
Pawn Shop snag, $300 and not a recent import.
Old pawnster I know
They don't believe in computers or cell phones
This is where it gets funny
They are still using a late 1970s copy of the Blue book of gun values to establish both pawn and sales valuation.
Ole George tells me he adds 25% to the 40 year old valuations in the Blue book, he figures that's fair
I'm like Okay, whatever. He's a stubborn old fart well set in his ways. Even tried to give him a desk top. Nope, neither of them wanted the Devil through the Doorway...that's a direct quote.

They run a very small rural operation, really only take guns and vehicles on pawn, well chainsaws too I guess. When I lived in that area I was out there a couple times a week as he refused to notify me on anything interesting coming out of pawn, said it wasn't fair at all to everybody else

While these folks are dying off, he's in his 70s they are still out there.

Online guys just can't get their collective heads around one simple truth...many Men in the mid thirties and above DO NOT use the internet PERIOD. I have a mess of local buddies who have never ever touched a computer. It's an alien thing.
Now if they have wives/kiddos, sure they are savvy to Facebook, etc but it's just not a real Man thing

This in part is why Gun Shows remain popular in the upper Midwest and how say AR and AK mags priced well above online still sell with a decent degree of frequency. See, they can't get them at Ace Hardware so they end up snagging a few at shows, often well over priced.

Online guys see the prices at shows and just are blown away, figure vendors are trying to cheat them
Nope, that crap isn't being marketed to you

Another thing is Gun Counter kiddos can be clueless
There is one experienced guy in these operations who establishes valuation and tags things
The youngsters are often working just above minimum wage
Their only job is to hand you what you ask for and process 4473
We run into big time ignorance often
had a RPB semi carbine shipped in
had the kid trash his initial 4473 fill out
had it initially written up with a SN of SAC XXXX
nope, SAC is the model kid, not part of the SN range
I want them doing things right as rain, even the older gun guys are pretty much clueless on anything obscure.

Same deal with the carbine from YH
They had the 4473 filled out as Manufactuer...None
Past that just serial and M1
That kiddie got a bit snitty when I told him that was ALL WRONG
The name of the contractor was under the rear of the sight and it was an M1 carbine, not just a M1. Once he pulled out a penlight and looked, he settled right on down.

in case any wonder why this is important to the buyer ?
Okay there were multiple makers of carbine and Garands
that means there are multiple "M1s" with matching SNs
so what if one day your FFL ends up under deep audit, the bureau pours through the bound book and finds a stolen HRA Garand that has a SN matching your whatever carbine ?
stranger shit has happened my brothers

Kid was seriously cowed down when I explained the situation & I'm actually a very nice guy face to face. He tore it up, thanked me on that lesson. Thing is the Gun biz is extremely complex on details

This is all part of the reasons why registration is an unworkable aim
During the 68' Amnesty all sorts of MGs were improperly ID'd during registration. Seen Amnesty forms with nothing more than German Machinegun and the SN to ID the gun
The bureau has been attempting to clean out the trash from the NFTR, that's why you hear complaints lately from folks in midst of transfer to send ATFE pix of the gun. Know a cat whose transfer paperwork on a Reising ID's it as a "Tommy Gun"
just comical shit really

Be the same with registration of many things
just a ton of 1911 makers for example
for registration to even start to be effective you would need a legion of very experienced Gun folk assisting in the process
truth is there is not near enough of us out there thus it's all handicapped by garbage in and back out again.
Riversidesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 06, 2019, 21:48   #26
Jon Frum
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 8473
Nice

Detain and Deport!
Jon Frum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 07, 2019, 08:32   #27
alphadog58
Registered

FALaholic #: 9405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Near Sighted Sniper View Post
Tell me about it, I was in a different shop a while back & asked to see "The M1
Garand" Dude asked me which one was that, I had to point it out to him. Un-F'N Believable!!!! I don't know why anybody would hire a person like that to work behind the counter of a gun store!!

On the other hand.... I'm kinda glad that this shop hired people with absolutely zero knowledge of C&R guns, I made out like a bandit!!!
I was in a LGS recently, they had an Egyptian contract FN 49 on the wall. Stoopid kid behind the counter swears its a Hakim.
Larry