The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old November 28, 2014, 20:21   #1
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
for the love o mike, new army camo

http://soldiersystems.net/2014/11/19...cp-transition/

the ocp is here. will the army ever pull their head outta their ass?
0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2014, 21:05   #2
Roland
Banned

FALaholic #: 73421
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0302 View Post

the ocp is here. will the army ever pull their head outta their ass?******** ***************** ***************************************** width="1" height="1">
Again? Really, again??
Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2014, 21:15   #3
TOWS220
Registered

FALaholic #: 51208
It is basically just a tweaked multicam, should work well for them vs the old grey crap.
Old November 28, 2014, 21:17   #4
martin35
un muy viejo gringo
Contributor

FALaholic #: 2939
It's very effective I never would have recognized Brad Pitts.
martin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2014, 21:33   #5
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
They need to go back to green olive drab, all cotton fatigues and leave the camo bulshit to the spec-op ninjas. This goes for the jarheads too. The dorks in the background and in states farting around bases and/or maybe even fixing junk like trucks, tanks and helicopters do not need to be running around in look-at-me-I'm-more-threatening-and-lethal-than-you camos.

After 100 washings and wearings, my all-cotten, USGI issued coveralls were as smooth as silk and as comfortable as anything I ever worn. When I got out, I still wore my fatigues and coveralls for years until they became too thread-bare. When the knees went out of them, I cut them into shorts. I even had some of my boots re-soled until the leather at the toes split too badly and had to be trashed. The same for my issued dress shoes. I wore them from 1973 - 1995. I hated to let them to go and I could never find an American made replacement for them.

Any recommendations for them?
Jarhead504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2014, 22:35   #6
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Cotton might be comfy,but has little resistence to fire,and doesn't dry out very quickly. I have navigated away from cotton,particularly in socks and underwear. I much prefer the synthetics or blends.
I don't disagree with the olive drab part,though. Its a good all purpose color for most any climate.
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2014, 23:16   #7
yovinny
Old Fart
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
We just got in some new prototype explosive shoulder pouches in this stuff.
Didnt really strike me as anything special, as TOWS220 said, it basically looks just like multicam.
yovinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2014, 00:25   #8
EinheitElf
Registered

FALaholic #: 21533
What was wrong with that ATACS style camo, a green and a brown style available...

When possible I am asking 101abn to make me a chest rig in the green ATACS.... seems like it may blend better than multicam....

OH side note, go watch return of the jedi, still impressed with those camoed ponchos the rebels were wearing,, they seemed to blend great in the forest....
EinheitElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2014, 03:35   #9
Wildcat
Registered

FALaholic #: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinheitElf View Post
What was wrong with that ATACS style camo, a green and a brown style available...
Probably required too much royalty.
Old November 29, 2014, 10:28   #10
Artful
Registered

FALaholic #: 10191
Quote:
OH side note, go watch return of the jedi, still impressed with those camoed ponchos the rebels were wearing,, they seemed to blend great in the forest....

Old November 29, 2014, 11:22   #11
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 65552
I know I enlisted in the Canuck Army and I don't know shit, but we had pretty much the same OD cotton combat stuff you guys did. One thing it did was make you fuggin invisible to the naked eye at night.

Then they went to that stupid CADPAT crap that they paid some deep thinker millions to dream up, and it's worse than the old shit.

The old combat uniform blended into everything at night, and pretty much everything except tan sand in the day. But the CADPAT crap is green too, and they had to scramble for desert stuff for Afghanistan. Seeing Air Force pukes walking around on Base all decked out in the latest badass camo looked stupid, especially when they had their hands jammed into their "Air Force Gloves" :-)

Like you guys, I kept pretty much all my old stuff except what I had to turn in when I got out (The Canucks are odd about that), and I wore my combat boots and garrison boots for years. I wore my combats for years as well, but they eventually went all threadbare and I turfed them all.

Al, I have left is my web gear, some wore out boots, my field cap that don't fit, and my old beret.

Stupid thinkers should stay out of Army decision making. OD green works just fine, IMHO.

“Anyone who doesn’t think the Welfare Industrial Complex is trying to increase dependency isn’t paying attention.” - Howie Carr
ExCdnSoldierInTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2014, 12:15   #12
Registered

well, here is an expert on camo. looks like the marines copied the canucks, the navy has the best cammie & the army still has their head up their a$$.

http://www.hyperstealth.com/camo-improvement/
Old November 29, 2014, 12:48   #13
ismith
Registered

FALaholic #: 70516
I'm still trying to figure out what was so bad about BDUs. ACUs are a PITA for us mechanics.
"What purpose is served by saying that men like Maxton are in Fascist pay? Only the purpose of making serious discussion impossible. It is as though in the middle of a chess tournament one competitor should suddenly begin screaming that the other is guilty of arson or bigamy. The point that is really at issue remains untouched. Libel settles nothing." George Orwell "Homage to Catalonia"
ismith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2014, 13:04   #14
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Looks to me like they just re-discovered the pre-Vietnam "woodland camo" pattern.

I think I still have some of that stuff.

I might just run around "commando" today though.
It's really cold, so that should ensure adequate camouflage in the available "cover."

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2014, 13:38   #15
GiggleSmith
Registered

FALaholic #: 10675
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCdnSoldierInTx View Post
I know I enlisted in the Canuck Army and I don't know shit, but we had pretty much the same OD cotton combat stuff you guys did. One thing it did was make you fuggin invisible to the naked eye at night.

Then they went to that stupid CADPAT crap that they paid some deep thinker millions to dream up, and it's worse than the old shit.

The old combat uniform blended into everything at night, and pretty much everything except tan sand in the day. But the CADPAT crap is green too, and they had to scramble for desert stuff for Afghanistan. Seeing Air Force pukes walking around on Base all decked out in the latest badass camo looked stupid, especially when they had their hands jammed into their "Air Force Gloves" :-)

Like you guys, I kept pretty much all my old stuff except what I had to turn in when I got out (The Canucks are odd about that), and I wore my combat boots and garrison boots for years. I wore my combats for years as well, but they eventually went all threadbare and I turfed them all.

Al, I have left is my web gear, some wore out boots, my field cap that don't fit, and my old beret.

Stupid thinkers should stay out of Army decision making. OD green works just fine, IMHO.
Ain't gonna argue a bit.
Vilseck, Germany, sometime in 1979.

Old November 29, 2014, 18:05   #16
Stoney
Former 0311
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1205
do they get a new camo every change of command?

GOOD MORNING, WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Press "1" for English.
Press "2" to disconnect until you have learned to speak English.

"Some minds are like concrete, thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.”

Has freedom been replaced with Free-Dumb.

Illegitimi non carborundum

A 1911A1 is like a Glock, except it's for grownups.

AMERICA! Designed by geniuses. Now run by idiots.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen." Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old Viking saying: Never be more then two steps from your weapon

Flying is a hard way to earn an easy living.
Stoney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2014, 18:20   #17
L Haney
Seriously Ponderin'
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 20446
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiggleSmith View Post
Ain't gonna argue a bit.

Yep. Same shit I was wearing at Ft. Hood in 79.
Old November 29, 2014, 18:36   #18
Hollis Wood
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 10333
I did not like those ball caps though. I thought the Woodland BDU cap was much better.
Hollis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2014, 18:46   #19
martin35
un muy viejo gringo
Contributor

FALaholic #: 2939
Marine Raiders in WWII got "jungle leaf green" with "all blown to hell tan leaf" on the reverse side Raiders were dressed for all ocasions at minmal expence,,, we used those utilities up during Korea and apparanty the basic idea lost favor as being too uncomplicated.

Some thought should be given to utilizing clothing worn by the native people like the Special Ops people do now

If I deployed today I'd wear a Berka over my optional skivies,,, nobody shoots smelly old goat milkers with .50cal MG's and flankers,,, the smell comes with the territory after the first week anyway after the officers adapt all the goats for girlfriends.
martin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2014, 20:43   #20
Bruce Allen
Registered

FALaholic #: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
I much prefer the synthetics or blends.
Under some applications synthetics are not good to wear because they tend to melt when exposed to enough heat and stick to skin.

That is why FD personnel do not wear them. They stick to cotton shirts and wool trousers if I recall correctly.
Old November 29, 2014, 21:08   #21
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
Teh German SS had these reversible camo smocks towards the end of WWII. I think their paratroopers also had long smocks that were camo.

The US military probably does not like baggy clothes, but I think it helps to break up your shape.

However, it might be best to avoid looking like the Third Reich, whatever the circumstances.

Last edited by Mebsuta; November 29, 2014 at 21:49.
Mebsuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2014, 22:27   #22
GiggleSmith
Registered

FALaholic #: 10675
Quote:
Originally Posted by L Haney View Post
Yep. Same shit I was wearing at Ft. Hood in 79.
When were you AT Fort Hoodlum?
I might have left on the plane you arrived on.
Old November 30, 2014, 20:23   #23
EinheitElf
Registered

FALaholic #: 21533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebsuta View Post
Teh German SS had these reversible camo smocks towards the end of WWII. I think their paratroopers also had long smocks that were camo.

The US military probably does not like baggy clothes, but I think it helps to break up your shape.

However, it might be best to avoid looking like the Third Reich, whatever the circumstances.
Maybe so BUT you have to admit ,their uniforms were very sharp in the Teutonic way of doing things.....

OT but I still have a hard time understanding the hob nailed boots.... holy shit some of those look like the nails were used to help grip in some terrain bUT you slip like on sheet ice in others....
EinheitElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2014, 21:27   #24
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
Quote:

OT but I still have a hard time understanding the hob nailed boots.... holy shit some of those look like the nails were used to help grip in some terrain bUT you slip like on sheet ice in others....
I did a little research and apparently the hobnails are for durability. If you are marching a lot everywhere or advancing and trying to move fast, worn out boots are a problem that will slow everything down.

I am guessing that was also a problem for the Roman Legion or any army that went on foot. I think Lee's army was always looking for shoes.
Mebsuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2014, 22:40   #25
Col. Bat Guano
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 39349
Quote:

the ocp is here. will the army ever pull their head outta their ass?
I thought for a minute that they were looking for something suitable for pacifying Detroit.

Attached Images
File Type: png ocp-1200x1200.png (61.5 KB, 203 views)
Col. Bat Guano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 01, 2014, 22:26   #26
Tailback
Registered

FALaholic #: 26070
Hobnails were a wearing surface to lengthen the life of leather soled boots. Americans in WWII had mostly rubber wearing soles and heels. The Germans were cut off from the rubber tree plantations. Ergo, hobnails and heel plates.

The barracks I lived in for two years in Ansbach, GE had stone stairwells that were deeply dished out from our Teutonic predecessors' hobnailed boots.

Quote:
Maybe so BUT you have to admit ,their uniforms were very sharp in the Teutonic way of doing things.....

Old December 02, 2014, 14:13   #27
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Allen View Post
Under some applications synthetics are not good to wear because they tend to melt when exposed to enough heat and stick to skin.

That is why FD personnel do not wear them. They stick to cotton shirts and wool trousers if I recall correctly.
I know,and agree. Wool has excellent fire resistive properties,much more than cotton,which is an excellent tinder. Leather is also not so great around fire..tends to shrinkwrap...
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 02, 2014, 14:43   #28
LAFAL
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 85
I think the best pattern out there right now is the Russian which is a copy of the SS camo.
Old December 02, 2014, 14:56   #29
Registered

tiger. stripes. way cool.

http://en.academic.ru/dic.nsf/enwiki/1735952
Old December 02, 2014, 18:25   #30
L Haney
Seriously Ponderin'
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 20446
Quote:
When were you AT Fort Hoodlum?
I might have left on the plane you arrived on.
Got there around Thanksgiving '78. Left 35 months later.
Old December 02, 2014, 19:02   #31
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Quote:
Ain't gonna argue a bit.

My kid brother is there now.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 03, 2014, 00:26   #32
Tailback
Registered

I was in Vilseck going to "Small arms repair for unit armorers" course in 1989. While there the Berlin Wall was opened and East Germans started streaming across the border into West Germany.

Interesting times.
Old December 03, 2014, 01:13   #33
Tailback
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful View Post

Seems like I've seen those colors before. Hmmmmm....

Old December 03, 2014, 09:36   #34
LRRP7.62
Registered

FALaholic #: 72443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebsuta View Post

No the Germans had camo at the beginning of the war not the end and not even mid-war, they had it at the beginning. The Germans were the first to issue a standard camo uniform. The Waffen SS were the first to receive camo smocks and helmet covers. Then the Army and Luftwaffe issued their own camo patterns. U.S. Woodland was based on a WWII German camo and the A-TACS is a WWII German copy as well.
LRRP7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2014, 00:09   #35
.30-06
Registered

FALaholic #: 68016
Kinda reminds me of Flecktarn. Not really sure why new camo is necessary though.
Old December 07, 2014, 09:47   #36
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Have to agree.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is offline   Reply With Quote