The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old October 28, 2013, 21:56   #1
Artful
Registered

FALaholic #: 10191
Government thinking

Remember Cash for Clunker's - where the .Gov paid to get old cars off the road.

A clunker that travels 12,000 miles a year at 15 mpg uses 800 gallons of gas a year.

A new vehicle that travels 12,000 miles a year at 25 mpg uses 480 gallons of gas a year.

So, the average Cash for Clunkers transaction reduced gasoline consumption by 320 gallons per year.

The government claims 700,000 clunkers were replaced so that is 224 million gallons saved per year.

That equates to a bit over 5 million barrels of oil.

5 million barrels is about 5 hours worth of US consumption.

More importantly, 5 million barrels of oil at $90 per barrel costs about $450 million dollars.

So, the government paid $3 billion of our tax dollars to save $450 million.

They spent $6.67 for every $1.00 they saved.

We've been assured, though, that they will do a much better job with our health care.
Old October 28, 2013, 22:05   #2
moonbat60
Registered

FALaholic #: 17000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful View Post
Remember Cash for Clunker's - where the .Gov paid to get old cars off the road.

They spent $6.67 for every $1.00 they saved.

That's gov't effectiveness. Them guys think differently, that's all.
moonbat60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2013, 00:10   #3
garyd1961
Registered

FALaholic #: 39373
I had to destroy the engine in some of those clunkers. Not as easy as you think, some would run a long time without a drop of oil. We would put something called liquid glass in the engine to help them lock up.
One guy brought in a custom van in really good shape it still had a TV in it. It was probably worth at least 3 or 4 times what he got for it, but he was helping BO to stop global warming, lol. What I really hated to destroy was the old pick-ups, some of them ran great with only little faded paint.
I kept thinking about all the people who couldn't afford a new car and now these were gone.
Old October 29, 2013, 00:26   #4
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd1961 View Post
I had to destroy the engine in some of those clunkers. Not as easy as you think, some would run a long time without a drop of oil. We would put something called liquid glass in the engine to help them lock up.
One guy brought in a custom van in really good shape it still had a TV in it. It was probably worth at least 3 or 4 times what he got for it, but he was helping BO to stop global warming, lol. What I really hated to destroy was the old pick-ups, some of them ran great with only little faded paint.
I kept thinking about all the people who couldn't afford a new car and now these were gone.
Car and Driver ran a list of various cars destroyed that included Mercedes, Aston-Martins, etc., some being fairly new.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129...-clunkers.html

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2013, 08:55   #5
Jolly Rodgers
Registered

FALaholic #: 15882
It wasn't about saving gas. It was a direct wealth transfer from the American taxpayer to the automobile manufacturers and dealers. The energy savings of those newly sold vehicles will never make up for the energy lost by destroying an existing car and manufacturing a new replacement.
Jolly Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2013, 09:08   #6
martin35
un muy viejo gringo
Contributor

FALaholic #: 2939
Going "Green" will be recorded as being as heroic as the Bataan Death March.
Was Solyndra really given a fair chance?
martin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2013, 11:32   #7
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
If you arrest, incarcerate everyone who voted against Obama, and take their firearms, you will have 60 million dissidents removed, along with 300 million firearms for the Obama civilian army.

Cost would be in the range of say $1,500/head, averaged out, as they would not have access to Obamacare, or food.

This cost of $90 billion is a drop in the bucket, when you think of all the homes now opened up for illegals and other Muslim Brotherhood societies to come in.
Costs could rise to over a trillion++, if any resistance to relocation is encountered.

The cost-benefit ratio, of then going after any other dissidents, say in the democratic party, drops precipitously as the very idea of the white rail cars shuts up the university types.
V guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2013, 07:19   #8
DABTL
Banned

FALaholic #: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd1961 View Post
The program began January 1, 2009. That was the day President Obama became President. It was passed and signed by Bush. It was just another unpaid for giveaway when Republicans did not care about deficits.
DABTL is offline   Reply With Quote