Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Curios & Relics

Notices

Old March 13, 2011, 21:13   #1
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
1949 Marlin 336SC

I bought this old Marlin from a guy in Florida on GunsAmerica. His story was that he bought it from an older lady who had received it as an 18th birthday present. He had painted the rifle and refinished the stock, along with sanding down the forearm. I had wanted to parkerize a 336 for some time and this came along painted flat black. Close enough for now. I think it's a cool old rifle; it has the waffle-iron receiver topside and some lever-gun fans have been adamant about NOT drilling and tapping it for anything. I'll take their advice too.

Here she is:

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."-Mick "Pappy" Connors

Know your rights; the future is unwritten.
Texgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2011, 21:29   #2
K. Funk
Retired Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
Older Marlins have become increasingly collectible. I tend to see quite a few and the 1948-1955 336's have gone close to $500 if all original and not drilled. I have 2 fairly rare ones right now on Gunbroker, a 336 ER in .356 Winchester (only 2400 made) and a 336 SC in .219 Zipper (only 3300 made). What caliber is yours? .35 Remingtons tend to be more popular than .30-30's. I have one in .30-30 and would take it over a Winchester any day.

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2011, 21:38   #3
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

This one is .30-30; I had been looking for one in .35 Remington after shooting a friend's J.C. Whitney in .35 Rem. I doubt my rifle has much collectible value left after the previous owner's refinish. He told me over the phone that he sanded down the forearm to make it more like a Winchester. Boy, did he! I'd still like to buy one in .35 Rem and might find one already scoped.

krf, your rifles must be quite rare. I've never seen one in either caliber, and truthfully, I had never heard of the .219 Zipper. Live and learn! Thanks for the lesson.

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."-Mick "Pappy" Connors

Old March 14, 2011, 00:35   #4
bykerhd
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2798
I always liked the look of the shorter magazine Marlins and Winchesters.
That will make a heck of a truck gun.
If that is what you have in mind.
bykerhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2011, 08:59   #5
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Byker, I like the short magazines better myself as well. I don't mind giving up a few rounds in a rifle like these. It would make a good truck gun, and I do sometime carry it when I'm hiking in the woods. The drawback to that is unloading the gun when I'm finished. That process is a bit more awkward than emptying the mag on a Mosin or Mauser, but the reward is it just feels so damned cool carrying a classic American woods gun. If I had the money, I'd love to have a collection of different lever-guns, ie. a Savage 99, a Browning, a Winchester...well, you get the picture.

Old March 14, 2011, 16:22   #6
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
I have the same model in .35 Rem.
One of my favorites. It will do about 2 inches with leverevolution ammo and a Weaver K1.5 scope.Great little rifle.
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2011, 18:45   #7
Snakeshot
Registered

FALaholic #: 909
Hey Texgunner,

That rifle has a really nice look to it, even if it's not original. I just picked up my 2nd Marlin lever and something tells me I'm not done yet, these things are addictive.

Nice score!
"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."
Frederic Bastiat
Snakeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2011, 20:11   #8
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Thanks Snakeshot, I thought it did too when I got it out of the box. I think the previous owner did a pretty good job. My only addition was the sling and swivels. I may have to redo the paint job before long, and might do it in Aluma-Hyde II since I have a can around somewhere. You're right about addictive. Something tells me I gotta have one in .35 Rem.

Old March 14, 2011, 20:33   #9
Snakeshot
Registered

FALaholic #: 909
Yup, .35 Rem is in my plans. Good thing I like beans.

Yours needs a leather sling, I prefer these:

www.huntsling.com

Good guy to deal with!
"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."
Frederic Bastiat
Snakeshot is offline   Reply With Quote