The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old January 02, 2011, 14:56   #1
hongkong3
Double G's Personal Troll

FALaholic #: 3565
Help! Furnace out.

I just got this email from my son and have no idea how to help him out as we're 3 1/2 hours apart. This after his dryer and fridg went out last week....... Can anyone tell me how to trouble shoot this?

Well...here's what 2011 brought to us; we discovered our gas furnace stopped working after we got home from our New Years gathering. That means no heat. Just went under the house and found the it's not getting any juice. Traced the line and found a transformer feeding it. Checked the voltage at the transformer and nothing. However the transformer is making a buzzing sound. So it's getting juice, it's just dead. Thank you 2011, way to roll in the new f***ing year.
Lest we forget Gougered (gg erd), German, adj. 1. Slang. Bilked: cheated. 2. To be deceived or tricked. 3. To be deprive of some right or something legally due. 4. Deliberate misleading or deluding, to produce misunderstanding or to prevent someone from knowing the truth 5. To be deceived by a stratagem, often of a petty, crafty, or dishonorable kind.
hongkong3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2011, 16:26   #2
Sig220
Registered

FALaholic #: 11622
Re: Help! Furnace out.

Quote:
Originally posted by hongkong3
I just got this email from my son and have no idea how to help him out as we're 3 1/2 hours apart. This after his dryer and fridg went out last week....... Can anyone tell me how to trouble shoot this?

Well...here's what 2011 brought to us; we discovered our gas furnace stopped working after we got home from our New Years gathering. That means no heat. Just went under the house and found the it's not getting any juice. Traced the line and found a transformer feeding it. Checked the voltage at the transformer and nothing. However the transformer is making a buzzing sound. So it's getting juice, it's just dead. Thank you 2011, way to roll in the new f***ing year.
I am not familiar with the system as described, but I would say that by the 'humming" that the transformer IS getting juice and if its not putting out it must be a dead/dying/bad transformer.......

Again, I probably know close to nothing about the furnace as described, but it looks like it has been diagnosed........now to find another transformer....
Old January 02, 2011, 16:31   #3
hongkong3

Finding a transformer is going to be a pain since he can't find any id plates anywhere on the furnace. It's one of those old in the floor units from the 50's or earlier......
Lest we forget Gougered (gg erd), German, adj. 1. Slang. Bilked: cheated. 2. To be deceived or tricked. 3. To be deprive of some right or something legally due. 4. Deliberate misleading or deluding, to produce misunderstanding or to prevent someone from knowing the truth 5. To be deceived by a stratagem, often of a petty, crafty, or dishonorable kind.
Old January 02, 2011, 17:38   #4
mike minihan
Registered

FALaholic #: 16051
Buy a Honeywell or White-Rogers transformer. Match up input and output
voltages,usually 120v in 24v out,there is also a va rating,replacement must
have the same or greater va rating. If it's a bum transformer this will fix it.

best regards,
Mike minihan
Old January 02, 2011, 18:00   #5
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
If it has a soleniod operated gas valve,there may be plate somewhere on it that lists it voltage.Most likely,its 24VAC.
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2011, 20:38   #6
L Haney
Seriously Ponderin'
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 20446
Quote:
Originally posted by RG Coburn
If it has a soleniod operated gas valve,there may be plate somewhere on it that lists it voltage.Most likely,its 24VAC.
Ditto. But, disconnect the 24 volt side first and check the voltage again. If something has shorted the wiring you won't see voltage and it will hum quite loudly. See 'em shorted by a homeowner hung a picture in the wrong place.
Old January 02, 2011, 21:45   #7
terral
Registered

FALaholic #: 3538
fuse your transformer when you replace it. use an automotive fuseholde with a 3 amp fuse if it blows locate the short cheaper replacing fuses than transformers
Mother is it just a waste of time? (Pink Floyd)
terral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2011, 13:10   #8
hongkong3

Thanks for all the help, he found a new transformer for $13 and will install it later today.
Old January 03, 2011, 14:19   #9
Blood of Tyrants
Registered

FALaholic #: 1244
If the transformer doesn't help, check the rollout switch that will be near the burners. It is a small switch with two wires to it that has a button on it for resetting it. If it has tripped, the problem is likely a rusted out heat exchanger.

Look into the furnace and see if the heat exchanger tubes are rusted through. If so, then you will have to replace them. However, if you are handy with a MIG even better a TIG welder (or even a hammer and rivets), you can patch the rusted spots with some 16 gauge sheet metal. I have even replaced large portions of rusted round heat exchanger tube with muffler tubing. Make sure you use muffler mud to seal all the holes.

Taking out the heat exchanger can be a PITA but if you are short cash (like many of us are) it can be repaired if it isn't rusted out too badly.

One day, in the not too distant future, good men and women like those that serve in Iraq, will decide that the United States isn't worth fighting for and the blame will be squarely on the shoulders of the DemocRat Party.

Last edited by Blood of Tyrants; January 03, 2011 at 15:10.
Blood of Tyrants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2011, 23:06   #10
hongkong3

Well he checked it all out and it turned out to be a bad thermocouple, he picked on up at home depot for $10 and the furnace is running fine. Thanks again for all the advice!