The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old December 06, 2004, 08:34   #1
JoeLad
Registered

FALaholic #: 3353
OT: Problems with Christmas lights

I don't mind putting up holiday lights this time of year, in fact I enjoy it. But I've been running into a problem that has me vexed. Why, in strings of lights, do most of them light, while the last third stays out? I've checked fuses, changed bulbs, tightened (squeezed) the bulbs in their sockets, but they won't light!

I have have sets of icicle lights that only light half-way down the set. We bought one of those metal reindeer with lights attached, and the top half of the reindeer won't light. Why?! It's driving me nuts!

JoeLad

Last edited by JoeLad; December 06, 2004 at 10:08.
JoeLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2004, 08:58   #2
owlcreekok
Registered

FALaholic #: 15323
Mornin' Joe. I had the same thing last year. I had a few sets of icicles that lit anywhere from half way to all but the last two or three. Drove me nuts! I threw them in a bucket and re-arranged the display without them . Last summer I got to dinkin around with the bucket ful of crap. Using my multi-meter, I found that the cheap poop wires were broken in various places. Remember how they come all wound around a little plastic hoo-yah? I believe they wind them so tight it breaks the wires. Machine wound? I found a bunch of the "drops" with no continuity in one or both of the conductors in various places. Trash. DONE! Too cheap to waste heartbeats on!

- Theodore Roosevelt - (1858-1919) 26th President of the United States

FOUNDER- Free ggiilliiee Foundation hehe
owlcreekok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2004, 09:25   #3
JoeLad
Registered

Thanks for the reply Owl.

Broken wires sounds like the culprit. The lights on the deer are out on most of the string, but the last few on the string are lit.
But broken wires on a brand spankin' new electric reindeer? Crap! I want to take it back to the place of purchase, but my wife, the woman who keeps the receipt for eveything she's ever bought, can't find the reciept.

Restringing the deer is always an option. Trash is the only option for the busted icicles.

JoeLad
Old December 06, 2004, 09:31   #4
Stranger
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 3555
Quote:
Originally posted by JoeLad
...a brand spankin' new electric reindeer?
Be careful 'round those 'lectric reindeer. They have a fierce bit when provoked, expecially the 115 variety.
Old December 06, 2004, 10:57   #5
martin35
un muy viejo gringo
Contributor

FALaholic #: 2939
Low bidders cheap wire makes for brittle wire when its chilly.
martin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2004, 21:53   #6
JoeLad
Registered

Tonight we went back to the place where we bought the reindeer, and spoke to them about returning it. No receipt, no returns, and they're all sold out of my model.
But the guy behind the counter said to bring it in and he'd check it out. I told him it looks like the wires are bad, but he insisted "It's probably a bulb. I have bulb tester here, I'll find it." Yeah, sure.

So after work tomorrow I have to take my brand new electric reindeer back to whence it came. Then I'll probably chuck it in the dumpster at the shopping center.

JoeLad
Old December 06, 2004, 22:23   #7
Chip
Registered

FALaholic #: 4508
Solution to all your problems, don't put up any freaking lights. I put up with that crap for years and finally about 10 years ago I said "I don't need no stinking lights".
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2004, 05:18   #8
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 3100
Quote:
Originally posted by JoeLad
electric reindeer?
Wasn't that a rock band from Finland in the late sixties?

"Sticks & stones may break my bones, but hollow points expand on impact."
idsubgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2004, 06:07   #9
vmtz

FALaholic #: 1125
Quote:
Originally posted by Chip
Solution to all your problems, don't put up any freaking lights. I put up with that crap for years and finally about 10 years ago I said "I don't need no stinking lights".
Amen brother.

Vince
Old December 07, 2004, 13:19   #10
Chip
Registered

FALaholic #: 4508
Quote:
Originally posted by idsubgun

Wasn't that a rock band from Finland in the late sixties?

Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2004, 20:38   #11
JoeLad
Registered

In my old neighborhod I stopped putting up lights because the young hoodlums would rip them down, steal them, or break them.

One year I put a beautiful wreath on my front door only to have it stolen a few hours later, in broad daylight no less. The bastard had to climb 13 steps, open the storm door, and cut the securing wire to take it. I was rip roaring pissed off after that one and drove around looking for it until dark. I was going to shoot the poor asshole who's door I found it on. "Man goes to jail in holiday shooting".

I live in a much nicer part of the city now, and do like putting up lights. I'm getting so bad this year friends and family are calling me Clark Griswold.

JoeLad