The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > News & Political Discussion > Economics & Investing

Notices

Old February 27, 2020, 15:44   #1
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Why is gold high when stocks have fallen 6,000 points?

Something isn't right here.
Old February 27, 2020, 15:46   #2
NFADLR
Registered

FALaholic #: 7480
Stocks down Gold up...

Its just the natural order of things.

And there is a crisis in the future so ya got that going for ya which isnt nice.

Last edited by NFADLR; March 05, 2020 at 18:11.
NFADLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2020, 15:55   #3
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Stocks haven't fallen 6000 pts. More like 3200. They are back to September levels. There's a 12% correction as of today. Gold is also being manipulated by the banks.

https://www.zerohedge.com/commoditie...ld-manipulated

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2020, 15:58   #4
Bawana jim
Registered

Doesn't make sense for gold to be up in my opinion. Stocks climbed and gold climbed. Stocks fall and gold stays high. Who would buy gold when we may crash? When the economy tanks gold should be cheap.
Old February 27, 2020, 16:17   #5
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Gold is a play for the rubes.

Watching the Dow ( based on only 30 stocks ) is a play for educated rubes.

The DJIA as of this post is @ 25766.64, down from 25916.00 on Feb 28, 2019

The S&P 500 as of this post is @ 2978.76, up from 2784.49 on Feb 28, 2019.

HTH.

tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2020, 18:05   #6
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Realize that there is a sell off. People are taking their profits. But where are they going to put the profits? Idle money loses value at the rate of inflation. So it has to go somewhere. I doubt it's all going back into gold, but I'm sure that a portion is. So Comex sets the price of gold at a higher value so they can mop up on the other side of the equation.

Old February 27, 2020, 18:15   #7
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
Realize that there is a sell off. People are taking their profits. But where are they going to put the profits? Idle money loses value at the rate of inflation. So it has to go somewhere. I doubt it's all going back into gold, but I'm sure that a portion is. So Comex sets the price of gold at a higher value so they can mop up on the other side of the equation.
Its why I don't understand, some sell to take profits while others hold or take a loss by selling. Gold may not hold its price and if you invest even short term it isn't a reliable commodity. You would think real money would be buying commodities right now as there will be a shortage of everything due to the flu.

Thanks for your opinions, it gives a better view than I see by myself.
Old February 27, 2020, 18:43   #8
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
Its why I don't understand, some sell to take profits while others hold or take a loss by selling. Gold may not hold its price and if you invest even short term it isn't a reliable commodity. You would think real money would be buying commodities right now as there will be a shortage of everything due to the flu.

Thanks for your opinions, it gives a better view than I see by myself.
Economics is the most complicated of all the sciences if you can call it that because it's heavily mathematical theory but all theory with no laws. You say commodities? Which one oil? It ain't going to be consumed. Food hmm. Fungible. Who's going to unload it at the ports? I smell a rat, a big stinking asian rat.

Jewish engineering is complicated shit.

Last edited by meltblown; February 27, 2020 at 18:48.
Old February 27, 2020, 19:38   #9
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
Economics is the most complicated of all the sciences if you can call it that because it's heavily mathematical theory but all theory with no laws. You say commodities? Which one oil? It ain't going to be consumed. Food hmm. Fungible. Who's going to unload it at the ports? I smell a rat, a big stinking asian rat.

Jewish engineering is complicated shit.
Well maybe commodities like we get from China but won't be getting for a while. Big companies like Procter and gamble won't be moving things from China so you would think the smart money would be buying replacement products from other countries. Tide laundry soap for one instance. When it get hard to get you could make good money bringing something else in.

A lot of products won't be shipping from China for a while. Smart money could start the manufacturing here in an opertunity zone with tax deductions.
Old February 29, 2020, 02:21   #10
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
People sold their stocks so they could buy hand sanitizer. It's hard to get at the moment. People are out acting weird, but I did see some pretty gurls at Walmart.

Last edited by Mebsuta; February 29, 2020 at 04:04.
Mebsuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 02, 2020, 01:22   #11
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
1. Gold is being manipulated

2. Gold is being purchased by the metric shit-tonne by China, India, Russia, and a bunch of other state actors - including little ones like Mexico and the (Great) State of Texas...

3. Gold may be for the "rubes", but historically it has been a 'win' when everything goes to shit. Not like once or twice, but each and every single time.

Just remember that gold is NOT an investment: it is a hedge. And one solitary "hedge" isn't a great hedge strategy. Act accordingly FTW.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 02, 2020, 10:02   #12
Bawana jim
Registered

Oh I am probably wrong but I think it would be easier to trade $1,600 in 22lr than an ounce of gold should the dollar fail. Lets see, at .03 cent a round that's about 53,333 22lr shells?

Is my math right on that?
Old March 02, 2020, 10:05   #13
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
Quote:
Oh I am probably wrong but I think it would be easier to trade $1,600 in 22lr than an ounce of gold should the dollar fail. Lets see, at .03 cent a round that's about 53,333 22lr shells?

It would be much easier. So, are you buying Au or ammo?

Jarhead
Old March 02, 2020, 11:09   #14
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

Quote:

Yes - ~53,000 shells at $0.03/shell x $1,600

Yes - easier to trade .22LR shells than 1 oz. gold

Also - easier to trade partial amounts: dinner for two for 100 shells?

Most of the world out there who wants your .22LR shells? They think $0.05 is low/normal ($25/box of 500), and most have paid $0.10 at least once when Sandy Hook or Barry Soetero was elected POTUS.

So I wouldn't let any of my .22LR go for $0.03/copy. YMMV.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
Old March 02, 2020, 11:11   #15
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead504 View Post

Jarhead
I have quite a bit of ammo. I'm buying Ag.
Old March 02, 2020, 11:12   #16
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead504 View Post

Jarhead
I can go into a number of stores here and buy 22lr, not many carry one ounce gold pieces. I am not buying either but have some of both Just enough to get through in a pinch.
Old March 02, 2020, 11:16   #17
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post

Most of the world out there who wants your .22LR shells? They think $0.05 is low/normal ($25/box of 500), and most have paid $0.10 at least once when Sandy Hook or Barry Soetero was elected POTUS.

Bimart has been selling the buckets of 22lr for near 3 cents a round.
Old March 02, 2020, 11:20   #18
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
I can buy a nice Colt SAA for the same an ounce of gold goes for. Or 4 glock 44 22lr guns and ammo to boot. Or a new Colt Python. Gold just lays there
Old March 02, 2020, 11:44   #19
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Gold is a hedge , just like a lot of other things. Food, ammo, hardware.

Until it isn't.

Joe Shmoe in St. Louis felt pretty good about his gold stash in November of 1929.

He was not so full of grins in April of 1933.

As brunop stated, it does not stand alone.......
............ Neither do those individuals that survive catastrophic conflicts.

Better to surround yourself with golden "whos" than golden "whats" .

tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 02, 2020, 12:15   #20
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Bimart has been selling the buckets of 22lr for near 3 cents a round.
Wow, didn't know that. It's been a while since I was buying .22LR.

Thanks.
Old March 02, 2020, 12:18   #21
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
I can buy a nice Colt SAA for the same an ounce of gold goes for. Or 4 glock 44 22lr guns and ammo to boot. Or a new Colt Python. Gold just lays there
My silver doesn't just lay there: I get into the canvas bags and run it through my hands while laughing like Scrooge McDuck.
Old March 02, 2020, 13:15   #22
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
My silver doesn't just lay there: I get into the canvas bags and run it through my hands while laughing like Scrooge McDuck.
I twirl my Colt SAA on my trigger finger like gunslingers do, John Wayne would be proud.
Old March 02, 2020, 14:27   #23
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

Old March 02, 2020, 15:39   #24
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Quote:
1. Gold is being manipulated

2. Gold is being purchased by the metric shit-tonne by China, India, Russia, and a bunch of other state actors - including little ones like Mexico and the (Great) State of Texas...

3. Gold may be for the "rubes", but historically it has been a 'win' when everything goes to shit. Not like once or twice, but each and every single time.

Just remember that gold is NOT an investment: it is a hedge. And one solitary "hedge" isn't a great hedge strategy. Act accordingly FTW.
Well said

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 04, 2020, 18:55   #25
Exit308
Saxon/Celt
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 62143
The financial markets have gone off their meds. They seem to be full manic.
It may be that the Covid 19 epidemic and its affect on the supply chain is making price discovery difficult, but the typical moves in risk-on, risk-off days is acting wonky, like a top wobbling before it falls over.
Can there be so much liquidity in the world that the flattened and inverted yield curve can move 10 to 20 bps down across the curve in a day at the same time the Dow is up 1200 points?
Something doesn't seem 'right'.

Signed, Rube

The truth does not require your belief.

"Fracking involves a two-phase combustion process: the first phase burns borrowed money to produce oil and gas; the second burns the oil and the gas." Dmitri Orlov

Last edited by Exit308; March 04, 2020 at 20:05.
Exit308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 04, 2020, 18:58   #26
Exit308
Saxon/Celt
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Silver is multifunctional. You can always cast boolits from it, for use on werewolves and bad guys. Hi Ho Silver, Awaaaayyyy.

"Fracking involves a two-phase combustion process: the first phase burns borrowed money to produce oil and gas; the second burns the oil and the gas." Dmitri Orlov
Old March 04, 2020, 19:43   #27
Bawana jim
Registered

Some of you guys have been saying for a long time it's all going to crash. Those in charge don't want to get the blame for a crash so could the virus be the tool they need to crash it all with nobody to blame? Where will gold come into the story?
Old March 05, 2020, 12:29   #28
bubbagump
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 21705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit308 View Post
Silver is multifunctional. You can always cast boolits from it, for use on werewolves and bad guys. Hi Ho Silver, Awaaaayyyy.
If you're gonna do PMs, silver is the one. In my opinion.

Quote:
Some of you guys have been saying for a long time it's all going to crash. Those in charge don't want to get the blame for a crash so could the virus be the tool they need to crash it all with nobody to blame? Where will gold come into the story?
Do you really think the folks behind the scenes are worried about who is gonna get the blame? Hell, most folks don't even know who they are, or that they are even there. The politicos will get the blame, as usual. It's what they're for.

As to where gold comes into the picture, well pretty much where it always does. Sitting on the sidelines, looking pretty, a hedge for those who can afford to idle their money while they wait for a rainy day.
bubbagump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 05, 2020, 12:45   #29
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
"When stocks are low; bonds will grow. When stocks are high, bonds will die."

That's one of the The Three Rules I remember form Economics classes. I suppose the same applies to Au and Ag.

Jarhead
Old March 05, 2020, 13:08   #30
starbuck
Registered

FALaholic #: 26466
I don't believe the precious metals market tracks well with supply and demand. I think the futures market and possible .gov manipulation keeps it behaving strangely. Physical has to kick the price in the ass every once and a while tough.
Old March 05, 2020, 13:44   #31
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagump View Post
If you're gonna do PMs, silver is the one. In my opinion.

Do you really think the folks behind the scenes are worried about who is gonna get the blame? Hell, most folks don't even know who they are, or that they are even there. The politicos will get the blame, as usual. It's what they're for.

As to where gold comes into the picture, well pretty much where it always does. Sitting on the sidelines, looking pretty, a hedge for those who can afford to idle their money while they wait for a rainy day.
Oh I don't know bubs, I guess I put too much of what I would think on the subject and can't think like the criminals do. Myself I wouldn't want the blame because someone might take revenge on me or my family. Hiding what you are doing behind the flu gives evil an out.

Remember recently they had to decontaminate cash? This is a time they could get rid of cash because it's a health threat.
Old March 05, 2020, 16:48   #32
bubbagump
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 21705
Quote:
Oh I don't know bubs, I guess I put too much of what I would think on the subject and can't think like the criminals do. Myself I wouldn't want the blame because someone might take revenge on me or my family. Hiding what you are doing behind the flu gives evil an out.

Remember recently they had to decontaminate cash? This is a time they could get rid of cash because it's a health threat.
Nothing really has changed Jim. It's just that folks are talking about it today, and worrying. Largely because they have too much time on their hands.

Next time we need to work the hoi polloi a lot harder. No more of this 40 hour work week crap. Pause just a moment, and take in if you will, what I call the 'star trek' economy. Folks can almost literally push a button and food comes out of the wall (ok, they need to swipe an EBT but close enough). Most can't find useful work and spend their time in manufactured occupations, driving desks in 'administration' or some such bullpucky. Others teach when they ain't smart enough themselves to tie their own shoes or, God forbid, a full windsor knot.

And what do they do with this free time? Paint masterpieces, compose epic symphonies or come up with the unified field theory? No, they teach apes to fingerpaint, ponder their own navels or go to school until they are in their fifties and then apply for disability.

No, the real masters could care less about blame, they know that these sad creatures ain't gonna do crap about it. Most of 'em refuse to believe the cabal even exists, that they have been living the matrix and believing in crap that is obviously untrue, that they'd see through in a minute were they not so beguiled by their programming and their own little heart's desires.

Blame? It ain't what they do. They lit off both world wars, then the cold one and nobody noticed. They print money, tell folks it's legal tender and it works. They invent myth after myth and people not only believe them they structure their very civilizations around 'em. Nope, these critters could care less about blame. They are effectively untouchable and they know it.
bubbagump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 06, 2020, 13:08   #33
Bawana jim
Registered

Trump will get the blame if this goes full black swan. The sewer is responsible but Trump will take the hit.
Old March 07, 2020, 19:23   #34
Bawana jim
Registered

Some of the sites I read on the net talk about the panic all over the world about the flu. Looks like the globalist finally found an Avenue to reach everyone.
Old March 09, 2020, 13:07   #35
juanni
TROLL

FALaholic #: 2439
Quote:
Trump will get the blame if this goes full black swan. The sewer is responsible but Trump will take the hit.
Trump took ownership when he did nothing but cheer on the stockmarket's new highs and constantly called for FED rate cuts.

As in, the same old print more money, hand it out at basically zero interest and drive up stocks.

It appears the black swans have come home to roost, in Trump's comb over.

...........juanni

Last edited by juanni; March 09, 2020 at 13:38.
juanni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2020, 19:40   #36
Exit308
Saxon/Celt
Silver Contributor

Here is a pretty informative conversation between two people that are very savvy about the credit markets. Listen at your own risk.

Old March 15, 2020, 20:57   #37
Exit308
Saxon/Celt
Silver Contributor

Aaannd, Fed Funds Rate goes to ZERO, and the Dow futures are still indicated down 1200 points Monday open.

Old March 16, 2020, 15:58   #38
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

Silver below 13.

Decoupling coming?
Old March 16, 2020, 16:31   #39
Black Blade
Registered

FALaholic #: 76490
Ouch! But physical silver and gold is drying so someone is buying. I am still adding but my local guys are nearly depleted on silver. Apparently the US Mint has run out of this years Silver Eagles.

Then there's this:

Old March 16, 2020, 17:04   #40
NFADLR
Registered

FALaholic #: 7480
Silver maples are also a good hedge and if another 1933 happened most likely wouldnt be confiscated like american produced gold was at the 1933 confiscation.
NFADLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2020, 19:58   #41
Exit308
Saxon/Celt
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Aaannd, Fed Funds Rate goes to ZERO, and the Dow futures are still indicated down 1200 points Monday open.
And the DJI. finishes down 3000 pts or 12.93%.
But since the DJI. is for rubes, let's check the SPX. oops, down 11.98%.
Russell 2k down 14.22%.
Awww shit. All the gains since Trump was elected are now poof, safely in the pockets of GS.

Old March 16, 2020, 20:00   #42
Exit308
Saxon/Celt
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Silver below 13.

Decoupling coming?
Probably.

Old March 16, 2020, 20:15   #43
Exit308
Saxon/Celt
Silver Contributor

At the rate things are developing, how long before there is a 'National Emergency' declared and that Law that allows the .gov to take control of the food supply and distribution is implemented?

I can't remember the name of the legislation, but it has been around in the background, unused, for a decade or longer.

I say within 2 weeks.

Old March 16, 2020, 20:37   #44
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
At the rate things are developing, how long before there is a 'National Emergency' declared and that Law that allows the .gov to take control of the food supply and distribution is implemented?

I can't remember the name of the legislation, but it has been around in the background, unused, for a decade or longer.

I say within 2 weeks.
I am cynical. I can see them crashing the world economy to get out of the trillions in debt. Coronavirus is a good tool to control the folks while they screw em.

Oregon Governor has shut down businesses all over this state for the next 4 weeks. How many can last? The thing that makes me cynical is she will use the flu the same way she was going to use carbon taxes to drive the unwanted out of Oregon. One person has died and she shuts down the state.
Old March 17, 2020, 16:56   #45
Exit308
Saxon/Celt
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Silver below 13.

Decoupling coming?
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2020-...res-prices-are

Old March 20, 2020, 10:31   #46
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
Quote:

Now do the math on how much 55,333 rounds of .22 weigh.

A 1 Oz gold coin can get lost in your pocket.
I also have down to 1/10 oz as well as silver.

Don't worry, I have .22 too.
Not buying either at the moment, but last time I bought Gold was $510/oz.

I DID drop $4k on AR parts back in Jan and #200 mags @$5/per slightly before that.

Zerohedge is lunatic fringe, but the stopped clock is right today.
The "decoupling" has happened at least 2x before (that I know of, last time was 2014 or 2015) and will happen again.
Old March 20, 2020, 13:46   #47
Exit308
Saxon/Celt
Silver Contributor

Current spot price for silver is $12.48
Current price for Constitutional silver at Apmex is $13.99 over spot, now with a minimum order of $299, so more than double spot price.

Seems somewhat disconnected. Might (probably will) get worse.

Old March 20, 2020, 20:44   #48
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:

So if you bought an ounce of gold or $1600 worth of 22lr on March 2nd which gave you the better return?
Old March 20, 2020, 21:00   #49
Exit308
Saxon/Celt
Silver Contributor

Quote:
So if you bought an ounce of gold or $1600 worth of 22lr on March 2nd which gave you the better return?
Gold is forever and .22 LR is good(maybe) only until you drop the hammer on it or go swimming with it in your pocket.
One is a monetary metal and one is a consumable. Apples and oranges.
Besides, timing is everything, Jim. Think of the neckbeards who were buying up all the .22 LR when it was rare and expensive. And then the price dropped to $.03/rd. Of course, now the shelves are bare or almost bare once again for a different reason. The worm turns.

BTW, is anyone buying the dip(I mean plunge) in the stock market.
Boeing down 70% and I doubt the .gov will allow BA to die.
Although, the DOD side of the company may be split off from the commercial.

Last edited by Exit308; March 20, 2020 at 21:06.
Old March 20, 2020, 21:10   #50
Bawana jim
Registered

I don't risk the stock market at my old age, this last crash may take a while to get back up to its last high. I look for short term quick turn overs. 9mm on the 2nd of march was $10 a box plus shipping today the same ammo is $30 a box plus shipping. Quick money that doesn't take a long term investment.