Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old November 06, 2019, 07:38   #1
kroberts
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 9427
Harley Pan America

I ride a 20 year old BMW GS, I love old beamers. The GS is a great bike but I am really stoked about this new Harley. The rumor mill says it will hit the showroom floors summer of 2020. HD is up against some well established bikes in this segment, I really hope they can pull it off. This new engine is supposed to make 145hp, cant wait to see one in person. Harley has been really tight-lipped about bike details. They did release a cool teaser vid...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ZnFDVWieQ
Old November 06, 2019, 08:20   #2
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
It is great to see Harley entering the 21st century. 60 degree Vee, liquid cooling, presumably 4 valve heads, more modern frame. I'm not an ADV guy, but I'm sure a lot of this tech will hit the street bikes too.

The problem is the bike market in this country is fast shrinking in general - the millenials are too interested in social media ego stroking to want to actually DO fun things that require skill and effort. Bike sales across the board have been plummeting, and to make matters worse, Harleys traditional market is going the way of the dinosaurs. Trying to break into a niche market against established players like Honda, KTM, BMW, et al is going to make it doubly difficult. Nonetheless, I truly hope they succeed !

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2019, 10:42   #3
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
I did buy a 1980 Sturgis about a month ago. That one sounds like a Harley.
I may also buy a used Sportster, also for cheap.

You'd think that Harley would fix the new 8 valve model's oil sumping problems first.

Harely should simply build the old XA shaft drive BMW copy, if it wants a new bike; I like the 1930's just fine.

Harley makes an electric bike, but none are featured in the tv show, "the Mayans."

https://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/mayans-mc
V guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2019, 10:46   #4
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
The Adventure class is a pretty saturated market (with BMW rightfully holding the lions share), and Harley is a late entry. My guess is that it'll be pretty heavy for its class being a Harley.

I never could understand the desire to take a 500 lb $20,000 bike off road. Down a dirt road...sure. But, not truly off road. I know people do it and really enjoy it. Personally I never could understand why.

I know what it feels like having to pick up a $4,000 300 lb dual sport from a sketchy steep rocky mountainside and to have to haul one up and out of a desert wash with 30' vertical on either side. By the end of the day, that 300 lb bike feels like 600 lbs. I couldn't imagine having an extra 200lbs to deal with...And, I'm pretty sure I'd cry the first time I put a scratch on my $20,000 bike.

I know it sounds like I'm knocking your choice of bike. I'm really not. It just isn't for me. Just because it isn't for me, shouldn't mean sh!t to you.
They make a bike for every type of rider. It matters That you ride not What you ride. I think I saw that on a Cat Poster once.
Old November 06, 2019, 11:21   #5
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall View Post
The Adventure class is a pretty saturated market (with BMW rightfully holding the lions share), and Harley is a late entry. My guess is that it'll be pretty heavy for its class being a Harley.

I never could understand the desire to take a 500 lb $20,000 bike off road. Down a dirt road...sure. But, not truly off road. I know people do it and really enjoy it. Personally I never could understand why.

I know what it feels like having to pick up a $4,000 300 lb dual sport from a sketchy steep rocky mountainside and to have to haul one up and out of a desert wash with 30' vertical on either side. By the end of the day, that 300 lb bike feels like 600 lbs. I couldn't imagine having an extra 200lbs to deal with...And, I'm pretty sure I'd cry the first time I put a scratch on my $20,000 bike.

I know it sounds like I'm knocking your choice of bike. I'm really not. It just isn't for me. Just because it isn't for me, shouldn't mean sh!t to you.
They make a bike for every type of rider. It matters That you ride not What you ride. I think I saw that on a Cat Poster once.
Pretty much my feelings.

Back in the day Harley riders and "riceburners" pretty much scorned each other. Thankfully that is pretty much gone. I'm pretty much a sport bike/cafe racer/street tracker type, but if you are having fun on a bike, who cares what it is !

Quote[Harely should simply build the old XA shaft drive BMW copy, if it wants a new bike; I like the 1930's just fine.}quote

Except that it wouldn't pass the emission requirements. Y'know, all dem old clunkers causing the ice caps to melt and all

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
Old November 06, 2019, 11:49   #6
alphadog58
Registered

FALaholic #: 9405
Adventure bikes are the only segment of motorcycling that is not shrinking. Moto Guzzi’s V85TT is flying out of dealer showrooms. Harley’s offering, meh...
Larry
Old November 06, 2019, 11:55   #7
kroberts
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 9427
EU emissions standards are what killed the Stelvio, that was an excellent bike. You're right, Moto Guzzi cant keep up with demand for the V85TT. It is getting great press and apparently it's well justified.

I'm going to take a hard look at the HD when it finally drops. I'd love to own an American bike. The Ulysses was well regarded, I hope this one will be too.
Old November 06, 2019, 13:53   #8
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroberts View Post
. The Ulysses was well regarded, I hope this one will be too.
The Buells were and are badly underrated. I still have my M2 Cyclone and it has been a dead stone reliable bike and a hoot to ride. Not cutting edge compared to the high end Japanese or Italian stuff, yet perfectly capable of holding its own on the street because, let's face it, as fun as it sounds, 175+ hp is just more than 99% of riders ( including me ! ) can use.
And for most riding, surfing the torque is at least as much fun as incessantly stirring the gearbox

Old November 06, 2019, 14:12   #9
Randall
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Armstrong View Post
Pretty much my feelings.

Back in the day Harley riders and "riceburners" pretty much scorned each other. Thankfully that is pretty much gone. I'm pretty much a sport bike/cafe racer/street tracker type, but if you are having fun on a bike, who cares what it is !

Quote[Harely should simply build the old XA shaft drive BMW copy, if it wants a new bike; I like the 1930's just fine.}quote

Except that it wouldn't pass the emission requirements. Y'know, all dem old clunkers causing the ice caps to melt and all
I've never owned a Harley. I'm sure they are fine bikes, but I grew up riding dirt bikes, dual sports, then on to Jap cruisers. I never felt the "gotta have a Harley" like many guys do. If I did, now would be an excellent time to pick up a used Harley. Lots of low mileage Harleys are being dumped on the used market here in California by doctors and lawyers and such.

Sold my last bike a couple years ago. Now, I'm looking to get back into another dual sport for camping/hunting and something nimble like an SV650, or MT07 for weekend grins and giggles.
Old November 06, 2019, 15:20   #10
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 82243
Harley makes a great motorcycle having owned one for a few years.

But Ive spent many years ADV riding and Ive found that going smaller and more nimble is far more fun and gets you farther out.

I went with a new KLR650 and did it up with panniers, bags, suspension work, GPS, protections bars, and everything else I could think of and it was still half the cost of that Harley.
Old November 06, 2019, 16:03   #11
Randall
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redoubt View Post
Harley makes a great motorcycle having owned one for a few years.

But Ive spent many years ADV riding and Ive found that going smaller and more nimble is far more fun and gets you farther out.

I went with a new KLR650 and did it up with panniers, bags, suspension work, GPS, protections bars, and everything else I could think of and it was still half the cost of that Harley.
Did you do the Dohickey Mod yet?
Old November 06, 2019, 17:47   #12
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Quote:
I've never owned a Harley. I'm sure they are fine bikes, but I grew up riding dirt bikes, dual sports, then on to Jap cruisers. I never felt the "gotta have a Harley" like many guys do. If I did, now would be an excellent time to pick up a used Harley. Lots of low mileage Harleys are being dumped on the used market here in California by doctors and lawyers and such.

Sold my last bike a couple years ago. Now, I'm looking to get back into another dual sport for camping/hunting and something nimble like an SV650, or MT07 for weekend grins and giggles.
Spent a little time on a friends older model SV650 this summer. Very pleasant to ride - comfortabl, smooth, handles well. Brakes could use a little help like braided lines and/or better pads. I suspect the new ones have addressed this. I got spoiled by my Triumph Street Triple 675R, though - just a really excellent bike in its category.

Old November 06, 2019, 17:49   #13
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 82243
Quote:
Did you do the Dohickey Mod yet?
Oh yea, years ago....I purchased that bike, and put over 50k on it before I decided it was time to retire from motorcycles.
I just got tired of people inadvertently trying to kill me while putting on make up, talking on the phone or yelling at their kids.

That and every deer/elk/moose/turkey in a three mile radius jumping in front of my motorcycle on a nightly basis.

I miss riding sometimes but until I can get my three sons grown and responsible for themselves Ive got to try to stick around...
Old November 06, 2019, 18:53   #14
Randall
Registered

Quote:
Spent a little time on a friends older model SV650 this summer. Very pleasant to ride - comfortabl, smooth, handles well. Brakes could use a little help like braided lines and/or better pads. I suspect the new ones have addressed this. I got spoiled by my Triumph Street Triple 675R, though - just a really excellent bike in its category.
I've heard and read that the Street Triple is a nice bike. Although, I've never had the opportunity to ride one. They are a bit outside my self imposed budget since I am wanting to buy two bikes.

I kinda doubt that I'll buy anything new this time around. The plan at the moment is to buy a winter project, and then pick up the second bike in the spring. Just waiting for the right deal(s) to come along. I sold my hunting quad and my boat this spring. So, there is room in the garage.
Old November 06, 2019, 19:01   #15
Randall
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redoubt View Post
Oh yea, years ago....I purchased that bike, and put over 50k on it before I decided it was time to retire from motorcycles.
I just got tired of people inadvertently trying to kill me while putting on make up, talking on the phone or yelling at their kids.

That and every deer/elk/moose/turkey in a three mile radius jumping in front of my motorcycle on a nightly basis.

I miss riding sometimes but until I can get my three sons grown and responsible for themselves Ive got to try to stick around...
Been there... almost got killed doing that. I fully respect your decision. I kinda did the same thing. I quit riding when my boys were in high school. Didn't really want to encourage them to ride. As soon as they moved out, I was back at it though.
Old November 06, 2019, 19:17   #16
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
Quote:
The Buells were and are badly underrated. I still have my M2 Cyclone and it has been a dead stone reliable bike and a hoot to ride. Not cutting edge compared to the high end Japanese or Italian stuff, yet perfectly capable of holding its own on the street because, let's face it, as fun as it sounds, 175+ hp is just more than 99% of riders ( including me ! ) can use.
And for most riding, surfing the torque is at least as much fun as incessantly stirring the gearbox
Friend had one. I liked that bike a lot!
ByronF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2019, 19:38   #17
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Only one I want or build a 1200 sportster into one

This is interesting. But this is article in cycle world almost 20 years ago.

I owned 4 Harleys from dressers, softails and sportsters. Most are fat and slow. I watch young bikers around here and they're still fat and slow.

Those are my only interest in possible scooters. Ain't no way I'll ever own an XR these days at the prices they bring. Just want something to blast around on for a few miles.

I doubt HD will make a dent in the market the same as Buell and Vrod

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.

Last edited by meltblown; November 06, 2019 at 19:50.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2019, 20:39   #18
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62FMJ View Post
I've been looking at the Triumph Street Scrambler, kind of a bit of everything bike. They can be customized out to an adventure style.

https://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/m...crambler#range
Triumphs are really great bikes - excellent build quality, reasonably priced, tons of accesories both factory and aftermarket are available. Up until maybe 2016 0r so, th twins were down on power, but recent models are quite good in that regard.

Old November 06, 2019, 20:39   #19
gunners
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 55824
Evil Kenevil and an XR750 painted red white and blue... ah memory's from being a kid.
gunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2019, 20:41   #20
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
Only one I want or build a 1200 sportster into one

This is interesting. But this is article in cycle world almost 20 years ago.

I owned 4 Harleys from dressers, softails and sportsters. Most are fat and slow. I watch young bikers around here and they're still fat and slow.

Those are my only interest in possible scooters. Ain't no way I'll ever own an XR these days at the prices they bring. Just want something to blast around on for a few miles.

I doubt HD will make a dent in the market the same as Buell and Vrod
I forget exactly when, but early 2000s HD built another "XR" replica sportster. Handsome enough but a real stone. My Buell ate them alive without even breathing hard.

The real XR750s are exceedingly cool, though.