The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old December 03, 2019, 16:21   #1
Incognito
Registered

FALaholic #: 1785
HK offering the MP5 again...

...in pistol form. They are calling it the SP5. Looks Like Palmetto Armory waited too late. Although the list price on the HK is about $2700 but I will probably consider just saving up for one rather than take a chance on the lesser expensive knock offs.

https://hk-usa.com/hk-models/sp5/
Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 03, 2019, 17:34   #2
Romul
Banned - Nigerian IP address

FALaholic #: 82193
Now that's some good news.
Romul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 03, 2019, 18:31   #3
Tuhlmann
THAT guy
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69411
Fukc HK. I either own or have owned many HK firearms over the years. I love them, but the HK of today (and yesterday, for that matter) can piss off and choke on all those $2800 1960ís technology stamped pistols. I love the MP5, but they are about 40 years too late to their own dance. I guess more firearms options are good, even if they are tired & waaaaaay overpriced options though.

All because they are HK, and you suck, and they hate you.

ďIím saying: Think about your contribution to society. Be careful when you get into a business that extracts value. Broaden your idea about whatís enough. And for Godís sake, think about who you are.Ē - J. Bogle
Tuhlmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 03, 2019, 20:02   #4
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
These things are just trickling in now and retailers are already gouging the hell out of them. Sad part? Some guys have said they'd gladly pay the inflated price. Just stupid.
I'll keep my POF5 while also enjoying the pile of other things I have because I didn't spend $2k extra on the rifle.
Old December 03, 2019, 20:03   #5
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
I had my first experience with an HK MP5 this past weekend. Rented a full auto MP5 at a range in Reno. I put a hundred rounds through it. First time using a full auto. First time with an MP5 in my hand.

All I can say is damn. That was one fine handling, natural pointing, easy shooting sub gun. I may suck, and they may hate me, but I would not hesitate to buy one if I won the lottery.

Seems like a waste buying it in semi auto though
Old December 04, 2019, 00:17   #6
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
I vastly prefer the K, but over about $800 I'm out.
I can see selling it as a pistol and making a good arm brace though.
Old December 09, 2019, 12:39   #7
Incognito
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuhlmann View Post
Fukc HK. I either own or have owned many HK firearms over the years. I love them, but the HK of today (and yesterday, for that matter) can piss off and choke on all those $2800 1960’s technology stamped pistols. I love the MP5, but they are about 40 years too late to their own dance. I guess more firearms options are good, even if they are tired & waaaaaay overpriced options though.

All because they are HK, and you suck, and they hate you.
I agree with your sentiments. But I am not going to let my personal feelings about the lousy customer service and politics of an otherwise quality gun maker get in the way of me procuring something if it is something that I want. I also am not going to jump right away and pay the inflated asking price. I would like to see what the price is going to do over the next year or two. Maybe Palmetto will get theirs to market in that time and it will be so impressive that I will not be able to justify paying the extra bucks for the HK. I just know that right now the option I was looking at was the Zenith at about $2000. If I am going to spend $2k I would be willing to put another few hundred with it to get the HK as long as the quality is what I have come to expect from HK in the past. If however Palmetto comes in uner $1200 like they are saying; then that would be tempting. Regardless; it is reassuring to know that there are options available now and in the near future for an MP5 and I will not be letting this opportunity pass. I missed the last go around back in the late 80's but one way or another I will end up with an MP5 from one of the offerings before political winds blow this opportunity away as well.

In the video below the guys at Palmetto shy away from discussing their MP5 project but at 13:00 minute mark and then again around the 20:00 minute mark the guy opens up a bit and give a little bit of insight into what is going on.

Last edited by Incognito; December 09, 2019 at 12:44.
Old December 09, 2019, 13:43   #8
M90A1
Gettin' there!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 3409
The only MP5 worth owning is the SD.
M90A1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 09, 2019, 13:55   #9
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
I owned a NFA MP5 but most of those were converted 94s. I don't believe there were very many transferable original MP 5s. Mine shot straight and had a good rate of fire for competing in the matches. I sold it because I couldn't win a match with it and the value of it climbed tremendously. Over the years of shooting subgun matches the MP5 shooters rarely finished in the top three.
Bawana jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 09, 2019, 14:28   #10
Tuhlmann
THAT guy
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69411
Yeah, youíre correct Incognito. Iím glad they are making them available, but the MSRP is kind of a slap in the face IMO. Just reaffirms the perceived prejudices of their view of their retail market. That said, they can ask whatever they want and guys will and do pay it.

Itís hard to beat a MP5 in the ďcoolĒ department. Iíve been down the HK road before, and if you gotta have HK youíre gonna pay. I currently have a Zenith clone, and itís been good. I didnít pay 2k for it, and I havenít been following clone prices, but if thatís what they are now I would probably kick a few extra benjis for the HK badge because Iím still young and foolish enough to be shallow like that!

ďIím saying: Think about your contribution to society. Be careful when you get into a business that extracts value. Broaden your idea about whatís enough. And for Godís sake, think about who you are.Ē - J. Bogle
Tuhlmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 09, 2019, 17:43   #11
VAplinker
Registered

FALaholic #: 78941
I got to shoot an MP5 at a police range many years ago - without a doubt the best shooting experience. Awesome little gun in every respect. Semi auto would kinda suck on that platform I think... kind of how I feel about the AK.

I am also not a fan of HK as a company. I do kinda wish they had the M27 though when I was in the service.
VAplinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 09, 2019, 19:57   #12
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
A friend has a transferable MP5 with a can. Honestly. I can't say it does all that much for me outside of the simple "cool factor" of shooting a machine gun, but Blondzilla LOVES it. The low recoil and low noise makes it her favorite machine gun to shoot. She said she wanted to buy one of our own until I told what a transferable one sold for these days

If PSA indeed comes out with a reliable product in the $1,200 range, I will definitely set her up with a semi-auto version and a can next year for Christmas or her B-day. I don't see me paying $2,700 for the same toy just for the HK markings, but we will see as they get out on the market and get some solid field reviews.
Old December 10, 2019, 08:10   #13
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
PSA AKs are sloppy at best - and an HK is a lot harder. At least I think so.
Old December 12, 2019, 14:23   #14
Incognito
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
PSA AKs are sloppy at best
That is interesting. A friend just recently asked me what would be the best value priced AK to get and I told him a PSA Gen3. Did I tell him wrong? I know he is not going to spend more than $770-$800 for one.
Old December 12, 2019, 14:36   #15
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
I don't have a huge sampling, but the ones I've seen had riveting that was poor - both technically and cosmetically.
Old January 02, 2020, 09:06   #16
Bruskie456
Registered

FALaholic #: 83541
That's how they get their prices so low! They have to compromise somewhere...

Also, I'd pickup a B&T APC9 wayyyyyyy before the HK SP5
Bruskie456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2020, 09:21   #17
gentlemanjoe
Registered

FALaholic #: 77676
HK has to charge that much in order to continue supporting the bankrupt countries within the European Union.
gentlemanjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2020, 09:35   #18
3guysupply
Registered

FALaholic #: 77210
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlemanjoe View Post
HK has to charge that much in order to continue supporting the bankrupt countries within the European Union.
"because you suck and [HK] hate[s] you."

Are you really surprised?
3guysupply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2020, 10:21   #19
wilson180
Registered

FALaholic #: 80897
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
These things are just trickling in now and retailers are already gouging the hell out of them. Sad part? Some guys have said they'd gladly pay the inflated price. Just stupid.
I'll keep my POF5 while also enjoying the pile of other things I have because I didn't spend $2k extra on the rifle.
I agree with this comment. I bought a POF SMGPK with a side folding brace for just over $1300 including shipping from the dealer. I have fired hundreds of rounds and never had a failure. It is made under license from HK on HK tooling. I believe it is every bit as good as an HK made gun. I can't see the value in paying double what I paid for HK markings.

Last edited by wilson180; January 02, 2020 at 10:27.
wilson180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2020, 12:11   #20
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson180 View Post
I agree with this comment. I bought a POF SMGPK with a side folding brace for just over $1300 including shipping from the dealer. I have fired hundreds of rounds and never had a failure. It is made under license from HK on HK tooling. I believe it is every bit as good as an HK made gun. I can't see the value in paying double what I paid for HK markings.
I'm glad you are happy with your rifle, as am I with mine. But there's no kidding ourselves, the POF isn't even in the same ball park as an HK made weapon, let alone playing the same game. The differences may be hard to discern for someone not intimately familiar with the type but they are there and they are substantial. The POF gun looks like an HK and usually works out of the box (but not always). That's about as similar as they get. I still believe the differences aren't worth the additional $2k+.
I'll own an SP5 eventually but I won't be paying over retail for one, no way no how.
Old January 06, 2020, 09:29   #21
Incognito
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
I'm glad you are happy with your rifle, as am I with mine. But there's no kidding ourselves, the POF isn't even in the same ball park as an HK made weapon, let alone playing the same game. The differences may be hard to discern for someone not intimately familiar with the type but they are there and they are substantial. The POF gun looks like an HK and usually works out of the box (but not always). That's about as similar as they get. I still believe the differences aren't worth the additional $2k+.
I'll own an SP5 eventually but I won't be paying over retail for one, no way no how.
This is why I am so skeptical of PSA and their MP5 when then finally release it. I lean heavily toward getting either a true HK or a licensed built gun from Zenith. I am hoping the Zenith prices will come down now that HK is offering them again. I will be patient and wait. Been waiting 30 years, I can wait one or two years more to see what prices do.
Old January 20, 2020, 19:58   #22
B Wood
Registered

FALaholic #: 5579
I own a real H&K Mp-5A3. Love it.

That being said, I bought a CZ Scorpion EVO 3 a bit ago. I added a SB Tactical folding brace to her. I bought the CZ under the military discount program. I have no interest in paying $2700 for a H&K when I could get the latest CZ Scorpion Micro for a fraction.

As I type my CZ sits beside me. The H&K sits in the safe.
B Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2020, 11:13   #23
skeeterbay
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20461
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Wood View Post
I own a real H&K Mp-5A3. Love it.

That being said, I bought a CZ Scorpion EVO 3 a bit ago. I added a SB Tactical folding brace to her. I bought the CZ under the military discount program. I have no interest in paying $2700 for a H&K when I could get the latest CZ Scorpion Micro for a fraction.

As I type my CZ sits beside me. The H&K sits in the safe.
I bought a Micro when they first came out. It's been a fun little gun and a delight to shoot. Everyone that try's it falls in love with it including the wife and daughter in laws. It's also been 100% reliable. I have shot multiple factory HP and FMJ in grain weights from 115 to 147 and I have had zero malfunctions. It feeds anything I put in it. Great little gun!

Ard Choille!
skeeterbay is offline   Reply With Quote