The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old October 16, 2019, 09:42   #1
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
I Guess No More ZQ Ammo While The Turks Invade Syria?

Walmart ended its contract with ZQ a while back but it was still coming over and available for sale on the netweb. It was reported to be a favorite for FALaholics needing blasting ammo. I liked buying the 20 round boxes of .308 for $5.95. I suppose that with this new invasion of Syria and the "sanctions", there will be no more ZQ. Am I right?

Jarhead
Old October 16, 2019, 10:01   #2
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
How about 40 cents for berdan primed Malay surplus?

https://www.sgammo.com/product/308-w...46-grain-bi-me

Take the berdan brass to the recycle center after firing all of it.
Use the cans for other stuff.
Winning?

Carlos Castenada
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2019, 11:03   #3
def90
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
I bought a bunch of ZQ when it first appeared, it shot so bad out of every one of my FALs that I tried It in that I never bothered buying any more. Waste of money in my book.

Shoots almost as bad as that Remington UMC crap.
Old October 16, 2019, 11:55   #4
droid
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 8207
Location: Between Houston and Victoria, Texas, on the Gulf Coast...
I was a dealer for ZQI.

Their reason was that with manufacture, packaging and shipping to the US, they couldn't compete and make a profit.

The decision was made long before the Turkish government decided to get squirrely.
droid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2019, 12:14   #5
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by droid View Post
I was a dealer for ZQI.

Their reason was that with manufacture, packaging and shipping to the US, they couldn't compete and make a profit.

The decision was made long before the Turkish government decided to get squirrely.
I have not seen their 7.62x51 ammo online, including in their website, since the year Wally World dropped them (it was on their website to the end of that year but then it disappeared). Never had an issue in my FAL.
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2019, 12:19   #6
lew
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
ZQI sucked, in my experience. I'd rather spend twice the amount and get GGG, which gives me MOA out of my PTR.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -H.L. Mencken
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2019, 12:22   #7
CG&L
Registered

FALaholic #: 27951
droid is right but Turkey is going to have an ammo shortage with their little war problem.

You probably won't be able to get 22lr at any Walmart in Istanbul before this whole sordid affair with Syria is over.

No way they can export.
Old October 16, 2019, 13:32   #8
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
It's interesting to me how different ammo experiences can be.

I bought quite a bit of the ZQI 7.62mm NATO M80 and the ZQI 5.56x45mm SS-109 that WallyWorld sold. The stuff that I've been shooting is headstamped MKE 14.

MKE also exported (to the US) their 5.56x45mm SS-109 under the Guardian name, and there were probably others as well.

I have had good luck with the MKE ammo, in both cartridges. As a matter of fact, I fired 50rds of the M80 through a KelTec RFB yesterday, and was quite happy with the results, accuracy wise and other. I also fired 20rds of the 5.56mm NATO through a 10.5in pistol (w/SBA3 brace), along with 70rds of a M193 spec reload (using IMI M193 bullets, LC cases, WSR primers (old, 'silver') and 26.5 grains of AA2230C (this is not the current AA2230, and this load would be excessive using it). I fired one target with ten rounds of the reload and twenty rounds of the ZQI, with an identical impact point for both (at 50 yards), and the group, relatively rapid fired, is under 2 inches (minus one flier opening it to 3 inches, and I knew the flier when fired). And it's rare for both these loads to fly to exactly the same point.

The pistol is an 10.5in FN CHF CL upper from PSA, assembled on an Anderson lower with a .mil trigger. It sports a SIG-Sauer Romeo5 red dot (2 moa dot, no magnification). The target was a blank sheet (8.5x11") of white paper.

For it's use, I'm very happy with that...

And both loads (M80 and 'M855') have very nice brass reloadable cartridge cases. And, for those needing no magnetic stuff, the M80 ball has a guilding metal jacket, not a copper washed steel one like most military ball ammo (including LC). The 5.56mm NATO is magnetic, of course, since it is true SS-109/M855 spec with the steel 'penetrator.'

I'm very happy with the ZQI (MKE) ammo that I've purchased. And I've fired the M80 in one of my StG-58s, a RRA LAR-8 and the FN Special Police Rifle (OK, so it's their receiver (a M70 Win, actually) with a 26in Krieger heavy barrel and a Palma chamber), and I'm quite happy with how it's performed there too...

I'm certainly not speaking against the GGG M80 (which is very good, as is their 5.56mm NATO M855 as well). And, of course, both are boxer primed too.

As far as the Malaysian goes, I agree that it's good ammo. I just prefer boxer cases if similar in price to Berdan.

For what little it's probably worth...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2019, 13:40   #9
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftierson View Post
It's interesting to me how different ammo experiences can be.
[/snip]

As far as the Malaysian goes, I agree that it's good ammo. I just prefer boxer cases if similar in price to Berdan.

For what little it's probably worth...

Forrest
I stocked up on the 3 can/apple crate deal at SG when it first appeared on the market and it was either 35 or 37 cents.
I ordered whenever I could swing the cost of a crate, after proving to myself it was decent quality.
There was nothing boxer of similar price available at SG.

I take my berdan brass to the recycler when I cash in aluminum cans and the bra$$ makes the trip worthwhile.

Carlos Castenada
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2019, 21:09   #10
moonbat60
Registered

FALaholic #: 17000
At a recent gun show I saw the ZQI 7.62x51mm for $14 per box.
moonbat60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2019, 21:47   #11
Combloc
Registered

FALaholic #: 55596
I bought thousands and thousands of rounds of the stuff in 7.62, 5.56 and 9mm. I love the stuff. I'm a poor shot and here's what I get off a bipod semi-quickfire.

100 yards out of my FAL:

100 yards out of my AMT:

50 yards out of an MKE MP5 with iron sights:

I don't have any pictures of targets where I used 5.56 but it shoots no different than typical M855 out of anything I've tried it in.

Last edited by Combloc; October 16, 2019 at 21:54.
Combloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2019, 07:56   #12
2barearms
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
I’m going back into the ammo making business.....why not buy Amerikan?

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
2barearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2019, 08:04   #13
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
I've got a case of it laying around since 2 yrs ago. I just shoot my reloads for plinking.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2019, 20:24   #14
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
[QUOTE=2barearms;4796655...why not buy Amerikan?[/QUOTE]

I do, whenever I'm able to do so.

Jarhead
Old November 12, 2019, 21:00   #15
Aeroscout
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 67625
My experience with ZQI is the same as with Venezuelan Cavim, had to turn rifles that had their gas set with Port (most all at 4) down to 1 to get it to function. Once gas was set I had no issues.
Old November 12, 2019, 21:08   #16
bill3542
Registered

FALaholic #: 5675
my son and his buddies where up at our range a couple weeks back shooting a FAL and a AR10. two days later I'm picking up brass, 156 pieces Federal and Federal XM80 with a 2018 headstamp and got it ready to go.

I'm loading it tomorrow with CCI Mag primers, BL-C2 powder and Hornaday 150 grain FMJ bullets... you never let free brass go to waste.
Old November 12, 2019, 21:41   #17
spider991
Registered

FALaholic #: 35820
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG&L View Post
droid is right but Turkey is going to have an ammo shortage with their little war problem.

You probably won't be able to get 22lr at any Walmart in Istanbul before this whole sordid affair with Syria is over.

No way they can export.
Please, for the love of Mike, someone please post a pic of a Turkish neckbeard!!!! WEG???
spider991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2019, 03:13   #18
CTW
Registered

FALaholic #: 41894
I've got 1000 rounds of the M80 stashed away and a case of their SS109 stashed away. Both shoot no better or worse than ammo I paid the same amount for. I do like the fact of boxer primed reloadable brass. I remember when it went on sale at wally world going to a store and cleaning out their whole stock of like 700 rounds of 7.62x51. All the folks at the counter we're looking at me like there was a hand growing out of my forehead. I just grinned and strolled out with all my ammo in my shopping basket.
Old November 20, 2019, 07:59   #19
Blackmore
> Dirt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combloc View Post
Mmm! My pretty!