The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Ammunition

Notices

Old August 16, 2019, 21:48   #1
762gunr
Registered

FALaholic #: 69517
Ian's 7.62 AP Test

M8A1 certainly does NOT have a tungsten core. Actually VERY rare for AP(M80A1 is not AP) to have a tungsten core.
No Huey......we don't need your 4 paragraphs of how badass you thing M80A1 is
762gunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2019, 22:41   #2
ammolab
Registered

FALaholic #: 10923
The “tungsten” and “true AP” comments ruined the chance that You might think that they know what they were talking about.

The steel (not that hard) in the M80A1 is there because the Govt HAD TO get the lead out of ball ammo. It isn’t AP of any designation. AP ammo was designed and utilized WAY before body armor was a thing.

You want to talk about AP ammo, or shoot it at something? Do not include “body armor” in the talk or test.

Shoot steel!
ammolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2019, 23:13   #3
NFADLR
Registered

FALaholic #: 7480
ROFLMAO.

I still have some Israeli 308AP that I bought from Federal Ordnance some 30 years ago.

Met the beaver there (leave it to beaver).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 762gunr View Post
No Huey......we don't need your 4 paragraphs of how badass you thing M80A1 is
NFADLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2019, 06:24   #4
yovinny
Uneducated NYC Boy
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
The fluff article I read awhile back claimed the steel 'penetrator' used in m80a1 was up in the mid 50's HRC.
Thats pretty tough hardening and definitely not possible with anything like a 'mild' steel at all.

For comparison,,rifle barrel steel is usually hardened and drawn to mid to upper 30's HRC

Last edited by yovinny; August 17, 2019 at 06:31.
yovinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2019, 07:01   #5
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
Huey is a bot, didn't you know?
hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2019, 08:07   #6
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Since war in Ukraine Russia has spent more on upgrading their helmets and body armor than U.S. and most of NATO have. When Ukraine troubles began their helmets could be defeated by 32 Auto and vests by any rifle round. Their new kits are some of the best in the world with another upgrade hitting the field next year that's supposed to be 5.56 resistant making our M4's obsolete. Got that from a dot gov website.

Russians are realizing the value of a soldier and stepping up their game with armor and weapons. They are buying huge numbers of 338 Lapa Mags from Sako and other top notch European vendors while working in their own in-house sniper systems. Have never claimed M80A1 or M855A1 to be magic but are better than rounds they replaced. Why we will see 5.56 fade away as polymer cased telescoping 6.8 is phased in.

I have shot NIJ 3 and NIJ 4 along with NIJ 3/ICW4 plates with all mentioned along with ro u nds they replaced and true AP. Have a handle on what happens and why I have swapped the plates in five of my personal kits to NIJ 4 stand alone with soft armor behind it. I don't believe everyone's tests on uTube. For a long time most were using M855A1 and M80A1 pull downs handloaded to what they assumed was an equivalent military round for uTube videos. Our best ammo tester on this board got his first real dot mil issue M80A1 from me. Call me lucky but seem to find stuff soon after it hits the field.

That said there are some companies making AP for LEO use that out perform any and all equivalent cartridge military AP. Much of it finds its way into the teams with scrubbed headstamps but not to regular field troops weapons.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2019, 08:42   #7
Charles_The_Hammer
BANNED

FALaholic #: 76904
Can't watch anything featuring the insufferable nerd and literal Church of Satan member Karl Kasarda.

Charles_The_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2019, 09:31   #8
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
WTF?
V guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2019, 09:59   #9
Charles_The_Hammer
BANNED

FALaholic #: 76904
Quote:
Originally Posted by V guy View Post
WTF?
Karl Kasarda of In Range TV is a card-carrying member of the Church of Satan. Don't believe me? Just Google "Karl Kasarda Church of Satan". There is even a video of him speaking at one of their Satanic temple meetings.

When he isn't interrupting Ian with his .02 cents worth of stupidity, he's praying to Lucifer and sitting on the lap of a Baphomet statue (pictured above).
Charles_The_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2019, 14:39   #10
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles_The_Hammer View Post
Karl Kasarda of In Range TV is a card-carrying member of the Church of Satan. Don't believe me? Just Google "Karl Kasarda Church of Satan". There is even a video of him speaking at one of their Satanic temple meetings.

When he isn't interrupting Ian with his .02 cents worth of stupidity, he's praying to Lucifer and sitting on the lap of a Baphomet statue (pictured above).
That is very interesting. Nice Segway off topic but worth more then the two cents you charged for it. Looking at a stack of magazines next to me right now loaded with 5.56 that will defeat NIJ 4 at 100 yards and anther stack of 7.62×51 that will burn Level 4 at 200 yards. All I had to do was register as a corporate vendor with intent to resell and provide a letter from a local hick P.D. with five officers including the chief they wanted to demo the stuff.

Now I just click on the boxes wamt, go to my cart to check out and arrives on UPS in about a week. It's spendy but even the 7.62×39 will bust Level 3 out to 80 yards. Had to sign a contract would not share with anyone but Law Enforcement in an official demonstration to sell them on the product. Actuall gave the department a donation of 250 rounds of the 5.56 so can say have provided to law enforcement agency and since sold two 500 round boxes to other smaller local departments. Cops are getting scared of people like me with full armor kits and an agenda so may actually start trying to market this stuff more aggressively.

80A1 and M855A1 is just a better general purpose round that will bust older technology and cheap plates as a bonus. ISIS has all gotten so much armor our guys in the field needed a better round. I do not believe a "green" battlefield was primary motivation.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old August 17, 2019, 14:55   #11
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
The fluff article I read awhile back claimed the steel 'penetrator' used in m80a1 was up in the mid 50's HRC.
Thats pretty tough hardening and definitely not possible with anything like a 'mild' steel at all.

For comparison,,rifle barrel steel is usually hardened and drawn to mid to upper 30's HRC
Quote:
Independent labs have tested value of*RHC 48-49 for the M80A1 penetrator, which is nearly as hard as tool steel, and is a rating very typical of actual armor piercing steel penetrators (as opposed to mild steel cores).*
Y'all watch devil worshiping pedophiles for your information and I will bust real military issue and police issue plates with the actual real deal ammo to for an opinion. Thus far have fired well over 50 rounds of M80a1 and over 100 of M855a1 at real targets from mild steel to AR 400, ceramic plates, Dyneema, concrete block and brick, plywood, pressure treated dimensional lumber, plus just plain old ballistic gelliten and sculpters clay to name a few. I know what happens but my legal advisor recommended not posting pictures as would keep me from testifying against myself with video evidence. The Firearms Blog was only able to get ten rounds after an official request from the government to test it. Ten rounds isn't much to do a comprehensive test.
Old August 17, 2019, 16:31   #12
ammolab
Registered

The steel is in those A1 ball bullets because the lead HAD TO GO.
This was reported by the defense dept and much media buzz during the development of the replacement ball ammunition.

DEFENSE
Army's eco-friendly quest breeds more deadly bullet
Ariel Wittenberg, E&E News reporter
Greenwire: Monday, June 15, 2015
The Army set out to develop lead-free bullets to protect the environment. The finished product achieved that goal -- and produced the most lethal rifle round to date.

For the past five years, U.S. soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan have been firing eco-friendly rifle bullets with greater ability to pierce protective shields and cause more bodily harm than the lead bullets they replaced.

"What started as a program to be more environmentally friendly became a significant upgrade in military small arms capability," Col. Glenn Dean, who helped develop the green bullet, wrote in his e-book on the experience, "In Search of Lethality."

Those at the Army's Picatinny Arsenal don't like to describe one bullet as more lethal than another.

"You don't want to get hit by either bullet," said small-caliber ammunition project manager Lt. Col. Todd Masternak of the Army's first green rifle round and its lead predecessor. "If you get hit by one or you get hit by the other and you don't receive timely medical treatment, you are just as dead”.
Old August 17, 2019, 20:09   #13
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammolab View Post
Army's eco-friendly quest breeds more deadly bullet....

The Army set out to develop lead-free bullets to protect the environment. The finished product achieved that goal -- and produced the most lethal rifle round to date.

Those at the Army's Picatinny Arsenal don't like to describe one bullet as more lethal than another.

"You don't want to get hit by either bullet," said small-caliber ammunition project manager Lt. Col. Todd Masternak of the Army's first green rifle round and its lead predecessor. "If you get hit by one or you get hit by the other and you don't receive timely medical treatment, you are just as dead”.
The guys at the Picatinny Arsenal have it correct. I love how the media and some professed ballistics/gun professionals talk about "more lethal" ammunition. I mean, if I shoot somebody with store bought ammo and kill them, and then I shoot somebody with this new "more lethal" bullet and kill them, are they more dead than the first guy? That is like the news media stating that somebody was killed in a fatal homicide.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2019, 20:13   #14
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
What about 30 cal API pills? They seem more interesting with the tungsten core.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2019, 20:37   #15
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
It's good they switched to steel core ammunition. We don't have any lead smelters.
Old August 17, 2019, 20:49   #16
ammolab
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
What about 30 cal API pills? They seem more interesting with the tungsten core.
30-06?....7.62 NATO? Nope, HARD STEEL CORE. “Tungsten” is the most misused word...
Well, next to “virgin”.
Old August 17, 2019, 23:00   #17
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
I have only used the old flak jacket of the ‘80s, no plates kevlar only, wearing that sucked. I suppose wearing steel plate armor sucks just as bad or worse. The internet commandos mention wearing body armor like its just changing the color of your underwear.
0302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2019, 01:50   #18
762gunr
Registered

This is what tungsten in 7.62 looks like.
Old August 18, 2019, 08:33   #19
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0302 View Post
I have only used the old flak jacket of the ‘80s, no plates kevlar only, wearing that sucked. I suppose wearing steel plate armor sucks just as bad or worse. The internet commandos mention wearing body armor like its just changing the color of your underwear.
My NIJ Level 4 plates weigh less than five pounds each. Entire kit with NIJ 3+ side panels, NIJ 4 front and rear, full coverage NIJ 3a soft armor under plates, two radios, IFAK, knife, light and six loaded magazines weighs under 25 pounds. Armor is not that heavy and wait till see the new U.S. tiered kits rolling out in 2020 with full groin, thigh and hip protection that is comfortable.
Old August 18, 2019, 09:28   #20
762gunr
Registered

Old August 19, 2019, 18:24   #21
randy762ak
Registered

FALaholic #: 25888
I Dunno Nuttin about 308/7.62X51 AP ammo--BUT-----A Buddy once set up a section of snowplow cutting edge blade at 100 yds and shot it with WW-II Black tip 30.06 and it drilled neat 25 cal holes right through it =1 Inch thick,,
randy762ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2019, 06:11   #22
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy762ak View Post
I Dunno Nuttin about 308/7.62X51 AP ammo--BUT-----A Buddy once set up a section of snowplow cutting edge blade at 100 yds and shot it with WW-II Black tip 30.06 and it drilled neat 25 cal holes right through it =1 Inch thick,,
I just know my M1's and all loaded enbloc clips are loaded with vintage 30-06 black tip which is cheap, easy to find, totally legal and gets the job done if need to drill holes.
Old October 09, 2019, 15:30   #23
legion489
Registered

FALaholic #: 6297
Ah, thanks. I was wondering which Demonrat Prez candidate that was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles_The_Hammer View Post
Can't watch anything featuring the insufferable nerd and literal Church of Satan member Karl Kasarda.

legion489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 09, 2019, 23:11   #24
Buffman
Registered

FALaholic #: 51885
I have verified the tip hardness of M80A1 as about 48-52 RHC, and M855A1 as 59-60 RHC. M855 from various sources tested anywhere from 49RHC to 54 RHC.

M80A1 will penetrate at NIJ distance most any level III+ plates, and you really need NIJ Level IV to stop it. I'm working on a subsonic test that shows what happens with it against a UHMWPE plate..

M993, which actually utilizes a tungsten core can be stopped by higher end plates at NIJ distance with under 22" barrel lengths. A realistic engagement of 75+ yards, NIJ level IV would likely stop M993. I have not tested 338 Lapua AP.

Here is a 06 Level IV against M993 and a 150gr tungsten core projectile

Buffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2019, 08:40   #25
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

The new neighbor who uses a Remington 742 in 30-06 for home defense and number of M855A1 and M80A1 rounds appearing in the civilian realm is why all my personal overt kits are now NIJ 4. Only added about 2.5 pounds per kit but lightweight NIJ 4 plates are not easy to find on the cheap.
Old October 17, 2019, 09:19   #26
762gunr
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
The new neighbor who uses a Remington 742 in 30-06 for home defense and number of M855A1 and M80A1 rounds appearing in the civilian realm is why all my personal overt kits are now NIJ 4. Only added about 2.5 pounds per kit but lightweight NIJ 4 plates are not easy to find on the cheap.
Both those rounds suck as armor penetrators. What's your infatuation with "enhanced penetration" rounds? Can you not own actual AP in your state?
Old October 19, 2019, 07:35   #27
kawasakifreak77
Registered

FALaholic #: 81651
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
5.56 that will defeat NIJ 4 at 100 yards
Hang on. What 5.56 will defeat level IV at 100m?

Because M995 won't even do that.
kawasakifreak77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2019, 20:25   #28
K-fal58
Registered

FALaholic #: 72037
Just because you have a plate which stops the round doesn't mean you will just jump up and be back in the fight. The truma to the body is great. Ask any combat medic who served in Iraq. They will tell you plenty of guys died were a plate carrier stopped a round. Its called a hemo thorax. Plates don't make you bullet proof. Better to train hard and use cover than be hit.
K-fal58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2019, 22:27   #29
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-fal58 View Post
Just because you have a plate which stops the round doesn't mean you will just jump up and be back in the fight. The truma to the body is great. Ask any combat medic who served in Iraq. They will tell you plenty of guys died were a plate carrier stopped a round. Its called a hemo thorax. Plates don't make you bullet proof. Better to train hard and use cover than be hit.
Well, there's certainly that...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote