The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old October 07, 2019, 10:05   #1
Incognito
Registered

FALaholic #: 1785
Weekend Gun Auction

I went to a small gun auction over the weekend. As I suspected it was a waste of time. All of the guns sold for slightly more than they were worth but it was the ammunition that was comical. Ammo was selling for in some cases double what you can buy it for at the Wal-Mart that was 5 miles down the road. I understand that many people have not learned of this new thing called the internet that gives you access to discounted pricing on things like ammunition; but who doesn't even check Wal-Mart's pricing before going to a gun auction and paying double for .22lr, 9mm, and 5.56?

I guess I should be happy to confirm what I already know; that is that I can buy anything cheaper with the click of a button or tap of my finger and I never even need to leave the comfort of my home. The ease and convenience of buying online is very satisfying; so why do I still fall prey to the lure of the gun auction? Always looking for a better deal I guess.
Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 07, 2019, 13:12   #2
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
In KY, an estate auction means you are buying from an individual, not from an auction company. No FFL transfer. needed for a person to person sale. Guns at estate auction here will go for 150% of new price for a used gun. It took me a while to understand this, but it is guys with DWI felonies or other "somethings" that keep them from buying legally who drive the prices up. I have not wasted time looking at guns at an estate auction for most of a decade now.
Old October 07, 2019, 16:46   #3
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
In KY, an estate auction means you are buying from an individual, not from an auction company. No FFL transfer. needed for a person to person sale. Guns at estate auction here will go for 150% of new price for a used gun. It took me a while to understand this, but it is guys with DWI felonies or other "somethings" that keep them from buying legally who drive the prices up. I have not wasted time looking at guns at an estate auction for most of a decade now.
It's regional

There are Estate sales and auctions

Maybe 10, well probably eight years back I wandered into a Estate sale in Duluth with Pops. It was an apartment down town, late owner was old time merchant marine, retired in the early 70s.

Well, I bought up a bunch of booze cheap then noticed a few boxes of pistol ammo cheap. Inquired regarding any guns, guy holding the sale drug out a box with new in box Beretta's and Walthers...all pre GCA, no import marks the guy had bought overseas
most expensive ones were the in the box PPKs which were still under $300
yep dad snagged it all, rolled it over in under a week and was left with the cream, a NIB .22 PPK and two .380s plus all the ammo for free

Auctions generally suck
few weeks ago there was one here with an older Model A ford restoration that wasn't very good but it ran somewhat
I would have taken it to maybe 3k
Sold at Twelve Thousand over proxibid to some retard in Florida
Parted out I might get 7K out of that bondo bucket
nature of things these days
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 07, 2019, 18:32   #4
K. Funk
Real Life Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
Got 58 this Saturday. While it wasn't the steal session like I had 2 weeks ago, the prices were quite reasonable. Got an East German Mak for $500, sold it on GB in 1 hour at the BIN of $629 last night. Nice quick turn around. Some stuff went nutz, but I don't buy nutz. Have 4 weeks to get ready for the next one, 273 going up on Nov 2nd. Gott a move a few before then.

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 08, 2019, 08:25   #5
Gazz
Registered

FALaholic #: 15159
Everyone should know that there are no bargains at auctions and they should not waste their time by going to any and just stay home. I on the other hand will continue to go and hope that a deal will present itself. Just a couple weeks ago I was at an estate auction that had a number of interesting firearms. I had to outbid a local dealer for a decent Peabody rifle in 45-70 so while I still think I can make some money on it, it was not a great bargain. It would have been had the dealer not been there as he and I were the only bidders on it. The real bargain was a K22 S&W made in 1956 which had a hammer price of $150 plus the 15% buyers penalty. I will probably sell it since I already have one. At the same auction a brass frame percussion repro revolver sold for nearly $200 which was way more than it was worth. You never know at auction what things will sell for, but please, just stay home so I don't have to bid against you.
Old October 08, 2019, 10:10   #6
Incognito
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
You are absolutely correct about this. The auctioneer at this auction actually talked about this and used it to try to get the bids higher. Pretty stupid because if the wrong person would have been there it would have made a very interesting Youtube video of an actioneer advertising no BG check for anything sold there. CNN and the lefty media would have eaten it up.
Old October 09, 2019, 14:33   #7
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
Most auctions suck....

But the good ones more than make up for them.
Old October 09, 2019, 14:48   #8
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
My experience here in Houston at a small local auction house is it's mainly locals with cash, and they will zone in on stuff because it's names they know. If it says Colt or Smith or Winchester these idiots will bid to new retail or higher, never mind the tax and buyer's premium, if it's a name they know they go all feeding frenzy.

On the other hand though if it's something that the general public isn't familiar with they have no clue and fail to bid. Best deal I've gotten there was this thing called a FAL. Was an early model from this nobody-ever-heard-of company called "DSA." It wasn't in a box but was unfired, unmolested, and was built in this little township near Chicago called "Grayslake," and later was claimed to be a build by this Mark Graham character. I won the auction, and with BP, tax, and all I left 1 rifle richer and a whole $824 lighter in the bank account. Turned it over into a NiB M1a Loaded in the Archangel stock, glass for it, and some ammo. Also picked up a steel EAA Witness 10mm that was nearly NiB for under $180, a 10/22 in a folding stock for under $140 (that one actually surprised me), and a Walther PP Manhurin for under $300.

Unknown stuff and bad weather are the benchmarks of good deals around here.
jhend170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 09, 2019, 18:15   #9
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
Everyone should know that there are no bargains at auctions and they should not waste their time by going to any and just stay home. I on the other hand will continue to go and hope that a deal will present itself. Just a couple weeks ago I was at an estate auction that had a number of interesting firearms. I had to outbid a local dealer for a decent Peabody rifle in 45-70 so while I still think I can make some money on it, it was not a great bargain. It would have been had the dealer not been there as he and I were the only bidders on it. The real bargain was a K22 S&W made in 1956 which had a hammer price of $150 plus the 15% buyers penalty. I will probably sell it since I already have one. At the same auction a brass frame percussion repro revolver sold for nearly $200 which was way more than it was worth. You never know at auction what things will sell for, but please, just stay home so I don't have to bid against you.
It all depends Gazz

Here's a great one
Years back there was an Estate auction up here. Late owner was an old Swede who spent a good share of his later years buying just trash guns
But all that said old Nils was seen a one of the big Gun collectors in the area

So pops and I hit the Estate Auction
Heck, there were hundreds of clowns
rusty Iver Johnson shotguns and pistols were breaking $200+

See, if Nils owned it, well it just had to be some treasure

I ended up buying his late wife's Jewelry, mostly made in Norway or Sweden. All Silver, plenty of Amber. Hardly anyone bid on that.

There were a mess of Zulu type shotguns, some sold over a grand
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2019, 06:53   #10
Gazz
Registered

FALaholic #: 15159
Another comment on the brand recognition thing. My gun club used to hold auctions selling member donated stuff or donations from local vendors. At one auction there was FEG high power missing the front sight and somebody had turned the hammer rowel into a spur. I guess nobody in the crowd had ever heard of FEG because I won the bidding at $40.00. Overall finish was about 99% high polish so a good looking pistol which has proven to be 100% reliable.
Old October 10, 2019, 12:11   #11
Incognito
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhend170 View Post

Unknown stuff and bad weather are the benchmarks of good deals around here.
Unknown stuff...that is usually what I look for as well. I know the common name brands will bring more than new prices. I am always on the lookout for the "foreign made junk" that none of the fuds are interested in. But I have found that bad weather can work against you. I have been to farm auctions and tool auctions in rainy or snowy weather and everybody showed up because the weather was too bad to work or do anything else.
Old Today, 07:52   #12
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
yesterday i got a first year Red Eagle ruger MK1 standard in 4.75 for $160, a colt police 6" special for $220, a thompson center super 14 in 223 with pachmyer and burris mounts, rings, and a burris 3X LER for $210. also picked up 2 boxes of 32 RF cannuck, if anybody wants some.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Last edited by justashooter; Today at 08:08.
justashooter is offline   Reply With Quote