Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Class III Files

Notices

Old October 01, 2019, 23:31   #1
Vaughn L. Allen
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 26532
Partially Fluted PK Barrel Value

I have a partially fluted PK barrel in VG to Excellent condition. Does anyone have a current value? I may list it on GB...

(To such heights of evil are men driven by religion)
Vaughn L. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 02, 2019, 08:56   #2
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Nice Hungarian PKM barrels are in excess of $1000 in good shape. Romanian much less. I assume the PK would be worth less as well, unless it's in some king of super condition. PKT would be pretty rare as they were supposed to be cut and they don't interchange. Only know of one functioning PKT and that was a rewelded barrel

I might be interested if you want to trade for something. Then all I'd need would be a gorynov tripod.
Old October 02, 2019, 22:23   #3
Vaughn L. Allen
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

pk barrels.jpg

Old October 02, 2019, 22:27   #4
Vaughn L. Allen
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

One has a A-0578 just in front of gasblock. The other has B-0283 and beneath it 46731. Both have a 7 or 1 in front of Gb as well. Any other markings I need to look for?

Old October 02, 2019, 22:27   #5
Vaughn L. Allen
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

Also have unfluted PKM barrel...

Old October 02, 2019, 22:28   #6
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

would look so nice on my otherwise boring Hungarians.

Needs vs wants.

Yeah, Gunbroker would be your best bet for max value. The PKM may be more tactically relevant, but the PK was more sexy, I think.

Old October 02, 2019, 22:29   #7
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Old October 02, 2019, 22:44   #8
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

So - 20 years ago give or take a bunch of like new Hungarian kits (mine were still in grease) and a bunch of beat to shit Romanian kits came in. I got two of the Hungarian and with VLTOR receivers made two posty PKMs. A friend of mine got a "new" one in on a (Form 10?) for his airport museum.

Anyway, back then it was like $2k for the kit which came with tripod and two barrels. And $1000 for the receiver and VLTOR charged $500 for the build. Beat to shit Romy's were half that.

Last SAR it was $3k for the same kit w/tripod and two barrels.

I've not used my two spare barrels. There are a pair of barrels on Armslist for $2000 for two (won't separate) , and that seems pretty good- $1000 for an EXC barrel. Maybe up to $1200 since the REPUBLICANS banned them from import the price is only going to go up.

A PK barrel is less common. From a tactical (Heavy!) perspective, it is "worth" less, but from a rarity, probably a bit more.

IIRC correctly, the PKT barrel will not fit a PKM but the PK and PKM will interchange.

From your "A-1234" my guess it is Polish Radom. MSTN had one a year and a half ago. But the comments that were made suggested it was for a PKT. I don't have a PKT trunion to verify but my understanding is they don't interchange. I have an inquiry into my friend, Jim, with a PKT, but he's in Russia right now and hasn't gotten back to me yet to confirm. I do have a few PKT feed tray covers from my experiments with a picatinny rail mount (before sucking it up and just buying the B&T mount)

I do have a couple of the PK long flash hiders. They look cooler than the PKM, but it all depends on whether you are at the range, or humping the bush.

Edit - sorry, earlier I said the Gorynov tripod, I meant the Samojenkov. I think the Gorynov was the wheeled one for the SG43. Don't know if the PK will mount to it. I've got a friend with a shit ton of them in Hungary (literally, warehouse full), but getting them here is a challenge. I have no experience with importing, although I do have a another friend with an import license. This is the same contact on the non-Russian SVDs. With my L1A1 barrel project falling through, I have a load of cash to bring shit in, but no point if the barrels have to be chopped (the SVDs are not "assault rifles" so can keep the barrels). But from an importer perspective, even my $80k working capital is chump change (as I was disappointed to discover).

So value, I'd not take less than $1000. How much more is an auction question. Of course, I don't want to pay that. Just being honest. Anything I've got you might want to trade?

I'm interested in all three, but I'm no where near shooting out the first barrels with my Hungarians. Only have about 10k rounds through each. Which some will argue, is just getting broken in. And the days of buying a pallet of Czech light ball 54R at $0.08/rd are gone.

Need any 5.45? I have about 25k rounds of 7n6.

Last edited by gunplumber; October 02, 2019 at 23:14.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 02, 2019, 22:56   #9
Vaughn L. Allen
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

Damn cool MGs! Wow, $3500 for a complete post sample. It would be difficult to find partial kits $4000 now. Every so often I see owners selling off spare barrels in pairs.

Old October 02, 2019, 23:04   #10
Vaughn L. Allen
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

I only have a couple of Bulgy AK74s left and may be selling one shortly. I'd be looking for cash so I'll likely put them on GB. I may still have a Samojenkov tripod in my basement. I'll see if it's still down there. There's a green soft case for it in the same box.

Old October 02, 2019, 23:04   #11
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaughn L. Allen View Post
Damn cool MGs! Wow, $3500 for a complete post sample. It would be difficult to find partial kits $4000 now. Every so often I see owners selling off spare barrels in pairs.
My guess it the two barrels (one barrel?) and the trunion are worth more than the rest of the kit combined.

Kindof like FAL - barrel, bolt, selector, rear sight, worth the same as the rest of the kit.
Old October 03, 2019, 16:16   #12
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Mark:

The wheeled mount for the 1910 Maxim is a "Sokolov"
later variations came out for the SG43 and later yet for the SGM, basically the same gun

There were tripods built for the SG series, unsure of the normanclature but very similar to later PK series units

just so you are aware, Numrich had, maybe still does have PKM tripods at like $500 bones:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1574210

they seem to be basically unissued, unsure of origin

my very loose understanding was that PKTs used the rear barrel profile of the SGM
no experience, just word of mouth on that
perhaps Rudy could verify one way or the other
Riversidesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 03, 2019, 16:30   #13
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

yeah, I Have a spare tripod I was going to cut up and find a way to mount it to an M2 Pintle.

the Samojenkov is considerably heavier duty.
Old October 03, 2019, 17:05   #14
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
yeah, I Have a spare tripod I was going to cut up and find a way to mount it to an M2 Pintle.

the Samojenkov is considerably heavier duty.
Okay so this Samojenkov tripod is a heavier duty PKM unit then ?
I'm asking as I'm clueless about everything past the SG series.

What are the Numrich ones ?
Old October 03, 2019, 18:18   #15
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
Okay so this Samojenkov tripod is a heavier duty PKM unit then ?
I'm asking as I'm clueless about everything past the SG series.

What are the Numrich ones ?
Standard Polish PKM. Look at my images above, the Samojenkov has bigger shoes, the legs are larger diameter stamped steel, and the ammo box (240? rd Maxim) does not attach to the tripod leg.

Having been an M60 gunner, in the days when a machinegun was a precision tool with a three man crew (although we rarely got #3), and not a one-man Rambo assault gun, I appreciate the effective use of a tripod with traverse and elevation. Especially with a good range card at night.

The PKM is marginal at that, at best. And it's too high in the prone position and two low for sitting. And it collapses poorly. It just sucks all-around for anything other than fixed position where it can be on an elevated shelf in a foxhole.

While a lot heavier, the M2 is far superior in function, for those who know what enfilade, defilade, grazing, plunging, etc mean.

Oh, the PKM can be switched to AA fire, which the M2 cannot.

I rarely use the tripod except when people unfamiliar with belt feds (like kids) are shooting and want to keep things "safer". The comparative light weight of the PKM make it more useful as an assault gun, with ghe biggest drawback to a right handed shooter is the left side ejection. Easy to block the e-port and cause a jam with one's forearm, and a bare forearm will get burned (ask me how I know).

From a design stand point, however, the PKM is, in my opinion, a marvel of engineering. Primary tool is a cartridge rim.

I have mixed feelings on the non disintegrating belts. At least the PKM will separate in 50 round segments, but finding the two links for connecting them is tough. With those I could modify my 50+ Maxim belts. It does make sense for a "poorer" country that can't abandon links and makes relinking much easier. The belt linking tool is amazing.

Sorry, I really like them. But I'd sell them both for a MAG 58.
Old October 03, 2019, 19:35   #16
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Standard Polish PKM. Look at my images above, the Samojenkov has bigger shoes, the legs are larger diameter stamped steel, and the ammo box (240? rd Maxim) does not attach to the tripod leg.

Having been an M60 gunner, in the days when a machinegun was a precision tool with a three man crew (although we rarely got #3), and not a one-man Rambo assault gun, I appreciate the effective use of a tripod with traverse and elevation. Especially with a good range card at night.

The PKM is marginal at that, at best. And it's too high in the prone position and two low for sitting. And it collapses poorly. It just sucks all-around for anything other than fixed position where it can be on an elevated shelf in a foxhole.

While a lot heavier, the M2 is far superior in function, for those who know what enfilade, defilade, grazing, plunging, etc mean.

Oh, the PKM can be switched to AA fire, which the M2 cannot.

I rarely use the tripod except when people unfamiliar with belt feds (like kids) are shooting and want to keep things "safer". The comparative light weight of the PKM make it more useful as an assault gun, with ghe biggest drawback to a right handed shooter is the left side ejection. Easy to block the e-port and cause a jam with one's forearm, and a bare forearm will get burned (ask me how I know).

From a design stand point, however, the PKM is, in my opinion, a marvel of engineering. Primary tool is a cartridge rim.

I have mixed feelings on the non disintegrating belts. At least the PKM will separate in 50 round segments, but finding the two links for connecting them is tough. With those I could modify my 50+ Maxim belts. It does make sense for a "poorer" country that can't abandon links and makes relinking much easier. The belt linking tool is amazing.

Sorry, I really like them. But I'd sell them both for a MAG 58.
I never got into the FN MAG love
have a kit, barrels and an 80% plate I need to eventually peddle

So you have any opinions of the PK series versus the SGM ?
SGs while heavy seem to run real solid
Old October 04, 2019, 08:28   #17
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
I never got into the FN MAG love
have a kit, barrels and an 80% plate I need to eventually peddle

So you have any opinions of the PK series versus the SGM ?
SGs while heavy seem to run real solid
No experience with them. Except I ended up with a charge handle for one in a lot of (Fin?) maxim parts I bought just to get the STEN 7.62x25 conversion kit that was at the bottom of the box.

Found a guy with a transferable where UPS had destroyed the handle. He was willing to pay anything for it. I gave it to him free. (What would I do with it?) Have a set of SG43/SGM gauges - or Type 53/57 rather. But I've never shot one.

Don't see how you can really compare. Goryunov is a medium machine gun. PKM more of a light machinegun. It's classified as medium or light based on whether it is tripod mounted. But you ain't gonna fire a SG 43 from the hip. They are beautiful. I imagine I could find a parts kit and cut recevier somewhere, and enough barrels made it in before the republicans banned them.
Old October 05, 2019, 12:42   #18
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

Quote:
No experience with them. Except I ended up with a charge handle for one in a lot of (Fin?) maxim parts I bought just to get the STEN 7.62x25 conversion kit that was at the bottom of the box.

Found a guy with a transferable where UPS had destroyed the handle. He was willing to pay anything for it. I gave it to him free. (What would I do with it?) Have a set of SG43/SGM gauges - or Type 53/57 rather. But I've never shot one.

Don't see how you can really compare. Goryunov is a medium machine gun. PKM more of a light machinegun. It's classified as medium or light based on whether it is tripod mounted. But you ain't gonna fire a SG 43 from the hip. They are beautiful. I imagine I could find a parts kit and cut recevier somewhere, and enough barrels made it in before the republicans banned them.
IF you do a postie you will probably want to keep it SG43
The SGM while largely interchangeable runs a slightly different cut for the breech wedge on the barrel, receivers differ a bit as well.

Main handicap on builds is the bulk of the receivers were angle torched
upside is they are seriously beefy and weld well. Bunch of semi and post sample builds out there.

Plenty of barrels too as you are aware

As noted, I have virtually no experience with PK series guns
I do have some behind SGs and yes, they are old school works of art beautifully machined & finished.
You are of course correct, there's no real comparison to a PK, they are pretty much HMGs and further while the barrels can be easily swapped out it's not very quick at all. At least ten minutes versus maybe a minute or two for the PK

No Ramboing about an SG either
Seen pix from the Sandbox where Taliban types had dismounted them and laid them down on a blanket in a ambush position on a dirt hill top, can't imagine how effective that all was
I'd tend to think though on a decent mount they had to be superior to the much lighter PK in that role

My opinion the PK while an incredible weapon is basically a one size fits all compromise intended to replace the RPD as the Soviets SAW & the SG in other roles
You should build up an SG
Old October 08, 2019, 21:00   #19
Vaughn L. Allen
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/836914641

I've listed one here...

Two extra barrels came with the Bulgarian kit.