The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Revolver Files

Notices

Old June 07, 2019, 15:58   #1
Cava3r4
Registered

FALaholic #: 6560
357 mod 586 vs Taurus

What is the Taurus number of their copy of the smith?
anybody ever buy one and compare it?
TIA
Cava3r4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 07, 2019, 16:14   #2
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
It might be OK, but you KNOW every time you look at it, you will wish it was a Smith.

This is the problem with almost all copycat guns.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 07, 2019, 16:27   #3
Retired Bum
Registered

FALaholic #: 21904
I agree with W.E.G. on this issue. I have a first year production Model 686 six inch I bought NIB when it was first introduced. I recall I paid just over $335 OTD almost 40 years ago.

I know that some shooters swear by their Taurus revolvers and claim that they are just as good as the S&W's. You couldn't give me a Taurus revolver or auto pistol. I don't buy copies regardless of the price.

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Retired Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 07, 2019, 16:59   #4
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

I had one of the first-year Smith's too. Six-inch model.

Shot it a lot the first few years, then it became a safe queen, so I sold it.

My nephew enjoyed it when he was a whippersnapper. Hard to believe that kid is now well over 40, bald, about twice my weight.

Meantime I'd picked up a 4-inch model. $275 used. Included squishy-rubber original factory grips which were impregnated with the Eau-de-doo-dah-Dey asscrack-smell camouflage cologne of the P.O. Had to burn those grips.

Currently has a set of Pachmyr's on it. Would like to get some Roper-pattern replacements. I saw somebody made some denim-micarta and put them on a stainless Smith. Man, that looked sharp! Maybe I'll find time to experiment.

Meanwhile, I present to you: StinkButt

Grips replaced, and atop a Beretta 92S for size comparison.

Last edited by W.E.G.; June 07, 2019 at 17:07.
Old June 07, 2019, 19:53   #5
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Talk to your gunsmith and ask them how well Taurus backs up their warranty.
Bawana jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 07, 2019, 20:37   #6
Retired Bum
Registered

I see that W.E.G.'s 686 was sent back to the factory to have the problem with the firing pin fixed. As I recall the problem had to do with primer flow of Winchester .357 145 grain SilverTip loads. I remember getting the notice from S&W about this issue but I declined the fix.

I never had any problem with other makes of factory .357 ammo or my hand loads.

The local city PD turned in their stainless four inch Model 66's for new four inch 686's. The issue load was the Federal Index 357B 125 grain JHP. This is the load that was supposed to be hard on the forcing cones of the K frames. I have shot this load in my 686 and three N frames. But never in my Model 13 three inch or my Model 19 four inch. And never in my Python.....

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Old June 07, 2019, 20:53   #7
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
Talk to your gunsmith and ask them how well Taurus backs up their warranty.

Ain't that da troof !

tdb59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 07, 2019, 21:07   #8
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
In my opinion the Taurus business plan is let the next owner worry about the problems.
Bawana jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 07, 2019, 22:16   #9
Cava3r4
Registered

FALaholic #: 6560
the reason I asked the question, is somewhere, someone said that their copy was just as good.
I have a HARD time believing that and wanted to hear the "yeas" and "nas".
I had a cavalry brother out here and I got to shoot his taurus 44 mag.
Well, I've got to tell you, my model 57 (41 mag) shoots so much nicer, better trigger, better staging, and a whole lot more accurate.
Cava3r4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 08, 2019, 00:03   #10
Retired Bum
Registered

Friends don't let friends buy anything with the Taurus name on it. And resale value of a second hand Taurus even in like new condition sucks.

Buy a used 586/686 in good condition. Preferably without that damned internal lock. You will be better off in the long run and there is always a ready market for a decent used S&W revolver.

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Old June 08, 2019, 08:43   #11
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
I'll be completely fair about it.

I have a Taurus mod 66. 357 seven shot. Stainless.

Even the internal parts are stainless. Which I think is a good thing. No mim parts or anything that I can see.

Most of the time, it is reserved for my wife for HD. She has carpal tunnel and can't rack the slide of a semi. But she can grip the revolver and she shoots it well. I do have a few snub smiths but she doesn't shoot them very well at any appreciable distance. So, she likes the Taurus the best and shoots it well. And lets' face it, doesn't matter what brand it is if you don't shoot it well.

She mainly feeds it 158 gr 38's in it for plinking around because they're comfortable for her. But I usually keep 110 gr Hornady XTP's in it for HD for the extra velocity and maybe slightly better expansion with that bullet if she ever were to have to use it God forbid.

Do I wish it was a smith? Well, no, but I would be perfectly content if it were.

I also know that taurus' reputation is spoiled. They used to have a good reputation and solid guns but they're not a S&W.

But I can say that my Taurus 66 has been a good handgun so far. We've had it a couple of years now. It doesn't get shot a huge lot. But probably 5 or 6 boxes has been put through it. And some of my really hot hand loads right after I got it because I wanted to proof test the gun myself just to make sure nothing weird was going on before handing it to my wife to trust.

I also occasionally put it in a shoulder holster when I'm checking my trail cameras for bear and coyote and big cats. Like I said, it's not been a bad gun.

But it isn't a Smith either. Never will be.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 08, 2019, 10:23   #12
nvcdl
Registered

FALaholic #: 1312
S&W revolvers have stood the test of time. I'd get a 686 or one of the N frame version (27/28/357). Buy used at right price and you can always get your money back.
nvcdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 08, 2019, 10:39   #13
lew
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvcdl View Post
S&W revolvers have stood the test of time. I'd get a 686 or one of the N frame version (27/28/357). Buy used at right price and you can always get your money back.
Yep. When it comes to wheelguns, there are Smiths, and then there are the rest, and Taurus shouldn't figure in with the "rest".

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -H.L. Mencken
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 09, 2019, 09:13   #14
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
Yep. When it comes to wheelguns, there are Smiths, and then there are the rest, and Taurus shouldn't figure in with the "rest".
And then below the Taurus we have the surrender monkeys, the Manurhin MR73 which are not worthy to be mentioned in the same website as a Smith.
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 09, 2019, 10:17   #15
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

Yeah, no reason to send a no-dash 686 back for the "M" stamp unless that's your bag.

I wasn't having problems with mine when I sent it back. But, it was my first real revolver if you don't count the Model 10 the Department issued me. So, I was doing whatever Guns and Ammo said was the think to do back in my young days.

I got nothing against Taurus either if they work. If it works, it aint stupid - right? Sort of like Century or Hesse FALs. One fella down in Texas had an STG kit on a Hesse. I tried to kill it. Shot 400 rounds though it fast as I could without a hitch. I had another 600 in my pocket, but we ran out of time. That thing was still ticking like a Timex.

Old June 13, 2019, 11:44   #16
lew
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
And then below the Taurus we have the surrender monkeys, the Manurhin MR73 which are not worthy to be mentioned in the same website as a Smith.
Haven't heard much about the Manhurin. That bad, huh?

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -H.L. Mencken
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2019, 00:16   #17
toys
Registered

FALaholic #: 64100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cava3r4 View Post
What is the Taurus number of their copy of the smith?
anybody ever buy one and compare it?
TIA
I had 22s from both.

I have anything but Taurus. Some people love them and like them, i dont. If you want to buy one, go for it. They do have a good guarantee. If you dont know, then read about it. what it comes down to is that you will have to figure out for yourself what works best for you, your wallet and what you want it for. Its not to say you cant get a good gun that does what you want and may last a lifetime for you either.

A friend had the 357 that you are considering buying. Cases got stuck in the chamber. Sent it back, still the same thing. I brewed up some light loads like 38s in 357 cases and they still stuck.

whatever your end game is choose wisely.

Not sure if you have looked at a GP100? Built like a tank. I have the 4" with full lug and its a good gun and if i carry, thats what i will carry. I had the 6" full lug, but it was too haavy in my opinion and sold it.
toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2019, 09:37   #18
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Am I going to argue that a Taurus is as good as a Smith? Generally not, but to consider them junk on hearsay and issues with other things from them is silly. The Sigma was a Smith... REMEMBER??? But I don't associate that with their wheel guns because my IQ is a few points higher than my shoe size.

Taurus make a decent revolver, period. I've owned multiple because I fell into good deals, and the ONLY issue I've ever had with any of them was a broken hammer nose. I've had the same problem on a couple of different Smiths, so that's not a quality issue so much as it was a design issue, and akin to knowing at some point you'll have to change the brake pads on your car. Other than that the main difference isn't so much quality as it is finish. If you open them up the Smiths generally have better finishing and therefore better quality of triggers on their wheel guns. On the flip side, however, I've yet to hear about frame stretching in a Taurus large-bore, but have seen it first hand in a Model 29, so Smith has their own issues.

So you have to go model by model. You'd be hard pressed to fine a Model 85 that doesn't work well. Conversely you'd be hard pressed to find a Millennium that did (turns out it was a post-machining cleaning issue, but still, they had issues from the factory and weren't drop safe). Their single-stack 709s are great little guns. Read up on them, they are easily as good as the Gen 1 Shields (there's always a reason there's a Gen 2, see Millennium above). I bought one for a song, put a few hundred rounds of the cheapest crap ammo I could find through it without a hiccup, cleaned it and gave it to my daughter, which she carries daily now, and she's never had an issue with it.

So before you declare all things Taurus of low quality and not worth having, actually have some experience with them. For the record my 686+ is my fave wheelgun, but I have a Taurus in 44sp that gets regular carry and serves duty as the passenger door truck gun, where it's always reliable and idiot proof, and if it were stolen I'm out a Taurus.
jhend170 is offline   Reply With Quote