The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 03, 2019, 22:19   #1
enbloc8
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 51665
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,073
Puzzling L1A1 on GB

I have no stake in this, just noticed it this afternoon while perusing GB.

British parts on an Aussie-cut receiver...that has British markings....

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/811949890
enbloc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2019, 22:48   #2
Abominog
Registered
 
Abominog's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 372
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Guadalcanal
Posts: 9,901
Interesting. I’m too tired to examine the details but you make a good point. The question if someone want to ask the seller is the body batch mark. I will return to this tomorrow.
__________________
Author, The FN FAL Primer: The Collector's Guide to the FAL and SLR Rifles
Abominog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2019, 22:51   #3
kysjck
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 31833
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tucson ,Az
Posts: 746
Puzzling. The receiver stampings are Brit, but the lightning cuts are Aussie. Did the Aussies send some receivers to Enfield to address a temporary shortage? Otherwise it looks like one of the LEO Centuries.
kysjck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2019, 23:44   #4
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor
 
Andy the Aussie's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 216
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Down Under
Posts: 16,347
Well..... a few things look amiss to me. Obviously it is Aussie cut. I looked and looked again and it does not appear to have been cut for the safety sear, or that has been filled...




And of course the "markings".... maybe Laddy had one too many pints with lunch and this was an afternoon special....



........hard to say, looks like someone has taken a inch cut receiver and scrubbed the markings to make it a bit of a sloppy clone. My guess is that his initials are "TMD".
__________________
Quote:
Originally posted by GOVT1911
You could do some searching and find a nice TLC and do the same thing, still saving a bunch of $$ and end up with a nice, comfortable CAPABLE rig...
(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2019, 08:19   #5
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor
 
hkshooter's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 5391
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 7,568
I'm with "sloppy clone" on this one. Receiver has a metric Eblock, too.
If it is indeed a remarked receiver then who ever did it removed all the original markings. Not good.
__________________
"2A was specifically for, as you note, dealing with what is no longer feasible within the system. This applies to all organs of the state, whether they carry badges, gavels or law degrees."
Mark Graham
hkshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2019, 08:58   #6
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor
 
gunplumber's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 96
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 26,379
The serifs on the 1s are atypical of UK and the MM is Aussie pattern, should be M/M on a '58 Enfield

But from a distance, it looked good.

And that receiver sure looks good - for Aussie.

Maybe an incomplete Onyx/Eden? Steel batch on front?
__________________
T. Mark Graham, Master Gunsmith
Arizona Response Systems, LLC
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2019, 12:54   #7
ActionYobbo
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 32542
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Flippin Arky
Posts: 995
I have been looking over the pictures for the receiver and trying to match up the profiles with known receivers and can definetly say that the exterior profiling around the gas nut and barrel were never done at Lithgow. That area is hard to get done and you can see the double step left by the machinist who only did 2 of the 3 radius cuts needed to complete that area. (@ gunplumber if you have done a receiver you would have used a flap wheel on the dremil to blend that area) It could be one of the incompleted receivers that came in the pile of lithgow leftovers in the 80's? and finished out like the fake poyers?
The stamping of the letters look so home done that I think they were done by the NZ airforce as they were the only ones to hand stamp lithgow receivers when they did rebuilds but no one ever stamped the bolt like the one in this rifle it was either electopencil (Aus) or elecropencil or engraved (UK)
__________________
“pomme de terre avec le visage d'un cochon d’inde”. Which translates as, “Potato with a guinea pig’s face”.
ActionYobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2019, 12:57   #8
01BIRDDOG
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 54639
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southwest Virginia---Abingdon, Virginia
Posts: 2,274
I want all of these i see. My untrained eyes don't pick up on the mentioned issues as yours do.
01BIRDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2019, 12:59   #9
Impala_Guy
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 55819
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Gamecock Country
Posts: 3,895
Letters in RIFLE are all crooked, pieced together stamps done in a press. I'm pretty sure military receivers were roll marked with a single die, not struck. Serial numbers may have been struck.
__________________
Don't spread our wealth around, spread our work ethic.........
Impala_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2019, 13:34   #10
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 36091
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionYobbo View Post
I have been looking over the pictures for the receiver and trying to match up the profiles with known receivers and can definetly say that the exterior profiling around the gas nut and barrel were never done at Lithgow. That area is hard to get done and you can see the double step left by the machinist who only did 2 of the 3 radius cuts needed to complete that area. (@ gunplumber if you have done a receiver you would have used a flap wheel on the dremil to blend that area) It could be one of the incompleted receivers that came in the pile of lithgow leftovers in the 80's? and finished out like the fake poyers?
The stamping of the letters look so home done that I think they were done by the NZ airforce as they were the only ones to hand stamp lithgow receivers when they did rebuilds but no one ever stamped the bolt like the one in this rifle it was either electopencil (Aus) or elecropencil or engraved (UK)
I lean toward someone's fantasy build on one of the semi finished Lithgow receivers, contrary to popular belief upwards of several hundred were basically smuggled in at the front of the shipping containers. Some were 99% but others were missing final cuts then there were others that ranged from nearly raw blanks to maybe 60 to 70% complete.
Years ago WME ended up with a number of these, he had been one of the "investors"

If anyone cares to do the search one of these builds came up in Files discussion around 2012. That was one of three rifles that had turned up in my late Uncle's Estate built on batch marked receivers that exhibited no other markings. They were all liquidated for his siblings, the one that was brought up here was sold rather reasonably at a show in L1 clothing, the other two were built as "metric" pattern rifles.

Just an opinion but I figure the greatest likelihood is a build on one of those unfinished receivers

Part of me regrets unloading all three however there were literally 100s of guns that had to be moved for Estate purposes.
It seems more and more of these Grey Builds are surfacing as the original owners age out.

Same with faked up "G Series" guns built on illicitly imported receivers.
Riversidesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2019, 15:40   #11
Rudolf
Registered
 
Rudolf's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 7
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Salem, ORegon, USA
Posts: 962
interesting
Rudolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2019, 17:01   #12
JohnnyReb
Registered
 
JohnnyReb's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 12093
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NC
Posts: 3,679
Fuquay Gun is 20 min. down NC 55 for me. I already have a L1A1 though, on a DSA LMT inch receiver.
__________________
One Bank to rule them all, one Bank to find them, one Bank to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
JohnnyReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 08, 2019, 23:58   #13
kysjck
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 31833
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tucson ,Az
Posts: 746
The hole for a safety sear is welded shut at the top, left as a normal sear cut on the bottom. All the machining around the carry handle cut matches my Poyer. The difference is, there are simply no machine marks on the Poyer, there or anywhere else.
kysjck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 09, 2019, 22:09   #14
enbloc8
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 51665
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,073
For those who think that previous AD71 build on an Entreprise went nuts, just take a look at where this auction has gone....
enbloc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2019, 22:13   #15
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 73015
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: No Where
Posts: 8,832
Another fake $4000+ rifle showing up.

Pretty soon the real things will be worth nothing.

The T 48 that went for $55k was deemed real with obvious fake receiver markings, while a real FN receiver was deemed fake. Now everyone is calling this out as fake.

FML. If you know who is doing these just say so and stop the bullsh!t.

If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.
SAFN49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2019, 22:27   #16
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor
 
gunplumber's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 96
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 26,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFN49 View Post
Another fake $4000+ rifle showing up.

Pretty soon the real things will be worth nothing.

The T 48 that went for $55k was deemed real with obvious fake receiver markings, while a real FN receiver was deemed fake. Now everyone is calling this out as fake.

FML. If you know who is doing these just say so and stop the bullsh!t.

If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.
Says the pathological liar and slanderer who pretended the engraved serial number on the G was legit.

What a hypocritical whore!

Clever play on words. Nobody doubted the receiver was real. Only the G serial number was faked, you lying punk!
__________________
T. Mark Graham, Master Gunsmith
Arizona Response Systems, LLC
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2019, 22:36   #17
Abominog
Registered
 
Abominog's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 372
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Guadalcanal
Posts: 9,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
I lean toward someone's fantasy build on one of the semi finished Lithgow receivers, contrary to popular belief upwards of several hundred were basically smuggled in at the front of the shipping containers. Some were 99% but others were missing final cuts then there were others that ranged from nearly raw blanks to maybe 60 to 70% complete.
Years ago WME ended up with a number of these, he had been one of the "investors"

If anyone cares to do the search one of these builds came up in Files discussion around 2012. That was one of three rifles that had turned up in my late Uncle's Estate built on batch marked receivers that exhibited no other markings. They were all liquidated for his siblings, the one that was brought up here was sold rather reasonably at a show in L1 clothing, the other two were built as "metric" pattern rifles.

Just an opinion but I figure the greatest likelihood is a build on one of those unfinished receivers

Part of me regrets unloading all three however there were literally 100s of guns that had to be moved for Estate purposes.
It seems more and more of these Grey Builds are surfacing as the original owners age out.

Same with faked up "G Series" guns built on illicitly imported receivers.
Half truths and jabber. None of the unfinished receivers were smuggled, the containers were well inspected. And none were 99% or even close. FFS.
__________________
Author, The FN FAL Primer: The Collector's Guide to the FAL and SLR Rifles
Abominog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2019, 22:44   #18
Abominog
Registered
 
Abominog's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 372
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Guadalcanal
Posts: 9,901
Note photo 77 which shows a D stamp not bar D. Obviously fake.
__________________
Author, The FN FAL Primer: The Collector's Guide to the FAL and SLR Rifles
Abominog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2019, 23:10   #19
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 73015
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: No Where
Posts: 8,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
Says the pathological liar and slanderer who pretended the engraved serial number on the G was legit.

What a hypocritical whore!

Clever play on words. Nobody doubted the receiver was real. Only the G serial number was faked, you lying punk!
LMFAO!!!!

While you defended the faked stamps on the T48. Holy mother of god. The blasphemer calling someone out. What a hypocritical piece of sh!t will do for a dollar.

The T48 was fake, just like the this one is fake, just like the last one one was fake, and the next one is fake.

You are not only part of the problem,you are the problem.

You re-weld destroyed receivers, have them re-engraved to match original stamped FN receivers, and call them restorations.

You are the antithesis of this board. May you burn in gun collector hell.
SAFN49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2019, 23:25   #20
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor
 
gunplumber's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 96
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 26,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFN49 View Post
LMFAO!!!!

While you defended the faked stamps on the T48. Holy mother of god. The blasphemer calling someone out. What a hypocritical piece of sh!t will do for a dollar.

The T48 was fake, just like the this one is fake, just like the last one one was fake, and the next one is fake.

You are not only part of the problem,you are the problem.

You re-weld destroyed receivers, have them re-engraved to match original stamped FN receivers, and call them restorations.

You are the antithesis of this board. May you burn in gun collector hell.
Says the pathological liar pretending the fake serial number engraved on the G was legit.

Yes. Taking a legit G series that was cut, and repairing it, is a restoration. And it was clearly demonstrated as such, with myself (here) and the owner (on another board) having posted clear before and after photos of the restoration.

Taking a contraband FN receiver and faking a G serial number, is not. But that one, you were crowing was legit. Because it was just like your buddy Lee's Fake contraband receivers - although his story changed so many times it was comical.

I and several others called out the anomalies in the T48 markings. Unlike you, we did not pretend they weren't noteworthy. As professionals, we "discussed" what they might mean.

All three of you turds are a disgrace - DakTo, SAFN49 and Lee Carpetbagger - all proven liars and frauds.

Fcuk you, you lying sack of shit.
__________________
T. Mark Graham, Master Gunsmith
Arizona Response Systems, LLC
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2019, 23:31   #21
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 36091
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abominog View Post
Half truths and jabber. None of the unfinished receivers were smuggled, the containers were well inspected. And none were 99% or even close. FFS.
BULLSHIT

We had three of them built out of the Lithgow conexes

Should I hunt up one we sold that was posted and discussed here after we sold it to a member ?
The jibber jabber is by folks trying to cover the asses

I get a bit tired of all this
shit happened Okay
pretending it did not is assholishness in the extreme

look you ass, semi finished Lithgow recievers came in in those multiple Conex container shipments from OZ
shit, there have been production level sets sold ranging from raw banks through most operations you damn tard

WME once sold semi finished Lithgow blanks
don't piss upwind of me on these things

This shit went down years ago, can't even be prosecuted...limitations done ran out so why the damn fear...
Riversidesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2019, 23:32   #22
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor
 
gunplumber's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 96
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 26,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abominog View Post
Note photo 77 which shows a D stamp not bar D. Obviously fake.
Nobody here has suggested that it is legit.

It's too far forward, anyway. Should terminate at the radius for the mag well.

Heck, even my D/E '58 looks better than that.

This was an early one (since updated) where for some reason the laser skipped a spot. Tweaked the programming to move the bar closer, and now it's uniform.



__________________
T. Mark Graham, Master Gunsmith
Arizona Response Systems, LLC

Last edited by gunplumber; May 10, 2019 at 23:43.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2019, 14:58   #23
Impala_Guy
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 55819
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Gamecock Country
Posts: 3,895
This is a disgrace. I hope someone helps the high bidder get a clue.

Over $5000 now!
__________________
Don't spread our wealth around, spread our work ethic.........

Last edited by Impala_Guy; May 13, 2019 at 12:40.
Impala_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2019, 16:10   #24
thunderstickcollector
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
thunderstickcollector's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 22332
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: McCordsville, IN
Posts: 37
I had 2 Brit L1A1's with original receivers and import marks from CAI St. Albans VT. I sold on GB 10 or 11 years ago. both were sear cut.
thunderstickcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2019, 11:23   #25
ActionYobbo
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 32542
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Flippin Arky
Posts: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by kysjck View Post
The hole for a safety sear is welded shut at the top, left as a normal sear cut on the bottom. All the machining around the carry handle cut matches my Poyer. The difference is, there are simply no machine marks on the Poyer, there or anywhere else.
Are you saying there is a possibility you have a fake?

I have read what you posted several times and offering proof that yours matches a known fake makes me ask the question
__________________
“pomme de terre avec le visage d'un cochon d’inde”. Which translates as, “Potato with a guinea pig’s face”.
ActionYobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2019 The FAL Files