The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old June 04, 2019, 16:12   #51
NFADLR
Registered

FALaholic #: 7480
OK so what's better at say 30-50 yards ?

300 blackout or 44 mag that I really can't handle with a knife thru my right palm at 13 years of age (gang fight).

Anone know where I can find soft point 300 Blackout ammo ?

Could use a 18 inch stainless barrel in 300 blackout ?
unfluted that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFADLR View Post
Loading up some 30/06 into Garand clips this bear is getting on my last nerve.

He / She gets in the trash if it's up by the house or on the day it goes out to be picked up. It chases my chickens and ducks.

I know 30/06 is better than 300BO but if it comes in the house it's the AR 15 pistol and 300BO as that's the only caliber I have in a short weapon, and I have a feeling 300BO has a slight edge on 45ACP or 44Mag.

With a early teens injury to my right hand the 44 mag is a little much for my right hand.

Last edited by NFADLR; June 04, 2019 at 16:39.
NFADLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 04, 2019, 16:20   #52
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
Quote:
OK so what's better at say 30-50 yards ?

300 blackout or 44 mag that I really can't handle with my knife thru my right palm at 13 years of age (gang fight).

Anone know where I can find soft point 300 Blackout ammo ?

Could use a 18 inch stainless barrel in 300 blackout ?
unfluted that is.
either will do the job at that range. Black bear ain't any harder to kill than a deer if you hit them correctly. Can't help with the soft point ammo question.
Old June 04, 2019, 17:02   #53
C2A1
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 15514
Bears are dangerous because you just never know. Bears have been known to hunt humans. When looking for food they will become aggressive. Had one break into a friends house when he was in town. Tore the doors off the hinges and destroyed the kitchen. MP5 in 10mm adjusted his attitude.
I was at my dad's house in Pa. Bears been hanging around his place. Was getting late in the season and a male was stiffing around the back porch. Had tore down a bird feeder. I pulled up and got out of the car and yelled at him. He stood up and growled at me. He dropped down and laid back his ears. Yes, sir I got in the car like the flash. He charged the car. He gave up after about 10 minutes. Late in the season and he hadn't put down for the winter so I expect he wasn't fat enough. Bad juju.
https://www.outsideonline.com/239685...=pocket-newtab
C2A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 04, 2019, 17:17   #54
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2A1 View Post
Bears are dangerous because you just never know. Bears have been known to hunt humans. When looking for food they will become aggressive. Had one break into a friends house when he was in town. Tore the doors off the hinges and destroyed the kitchen. MP5 in 10mm adjusted his attitude.
That happens a lot more often than people realize.

The city cop they interviewed below is an idiot.

https://www.wymt.com/content/news/Bear-433349473.html
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 04, 2019, 17:21   #55
John A
Registered

300 supers would probably work better for you considering your hand but either would work if you put it in the boiler room. blackout have similar ballistics as 7.62x39. Probably wouldn't really need soft point. But it wouldn't hurt if you did I guess.
Old June 04, 2019, 17:30   #56
fly2.0
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 79608
Bear meat is the best . And the fur make great winter coats & Rug's

https://www.bearskin-rugs.com/black-bear-rugs-c-63.html

((( Micro Galil / Colt )))
fly2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 04, 2019, 17:54   #57
NFADLR
Registered

Point of aim at 50 yards ?

About 6 inches south of his chin ? or ?

I want to drop him with a clean kill, the only other game I've killed was a deer about 4-6 YO.

I don't kill for sport just need, the deer was attacking my 14 YO rotty.

Old June 05, 2019, 11:03   #58
Randall
Registered

When I'm hunting black bear, I wait for a standing broadside shot. Not a walking shot. Not a straight on shot. A standing broadside shot. 3 - 6" above the elbow of the front leg. If done correctly you have a double lung and possibly the heart as well. He may run, but he wont go to far before expiring.

If he is showing signs of aggression, well; all bets are off. Look to hit in the vitals. A clean head shot if you have it will incapacitate any animal. Though, that is a lot tougher than you'd think in a stressful situation.

You might Google Black Bear Anatomy to get a good idea where the vitals are in a black bear.
Old June 06, 2019, 14:30   #59
badzero
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 65818
I saw this pop up in the news feed and my first thought was you missed and pissed it off.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/cali...t-unlocked-car

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

You can tell it's real because it looks so fake.
Elon Musk February 7, 2018
badzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 06, 2019, 15:21   #60
NFADLR
Registered

I would have killed the basted if he ripped into my truck like that.

Don't know where my bears are, been 3 - 4 days since I've seen the mom and cubs or the lone brown critter that the game warden says is 500+ lbs.

Didn't get a pic of momma and the twins but
she is larger than the lone bear and more towards the 700 lbs and darker fur more toward black and same with the twins.
Old June 06, 2019, 20:34   #61
John A
Registered

The ones around here usually run in a large circle. They'll be back to make their rounds.
Old June 10, 2019, 18:46   #62
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Didn't get a pic of momma and the twins but
she is larger than the lone bear and more towards the 700 lbs and darker fur more toward black and same with the twins.
Ask and you shall receive

Attached Images
File Type: gif daily_gifdump_203_01.gif (193.8 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by raubvogel; June 10, 2019 at 19:58.
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2019, 19:48   #63
NFADLR
Registered

This afternoon , no camera handy..

Was climbing a pine tree out in front of the house.

A short fat one I had not seen in the past.

Pit bull went crazy and alerted me, I came out to see him shinny down the tree and run off.
Old June 10, 2019, 20:06   #64
AFeod
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 75606
Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
This happened in an area that I used to work. I strongly urge you to read it.

Yeah, black bears aren't dangerous and run from humans.

Pffft.

Here's one article about it: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...231036188.html
I’ve lived in bear country for the past 20 years. This story is a fluke... bear proof your shit and you won’t have problems.
Old July 28, 2019, 16:06   #65
NFADLR
Registered

Their back....

Well at least something is back and dragged 4 bags of feed 50 lbs each (COB) W/O MO... from a small trailer that was parked under a semi trailer.

He for lack of a specific gender (are there Transgender bears?)...I didn't want to assume the pronoun of the bandit.

Pics below.

Last edited by NFADLR; July 28, 2019 at 18:03.
Old July 28, 2019, 17:03   #66
EinheitElf
Registered

FALaholic #: 21533
man, maybe SSS time real soon.... sometimes you do all you can to avoid it but sometimes it's 'sure hated to do that ...but it's the law of the west'.....

I would be armed on my own land or property... if I cant avoid it... better to be alive and deal with the aftermath than not and......not???
EinheitElf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 01, 2019, 21:15   #67
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
Nut up and take care of business. self defense , just don’t go blabbing . Use that FAL, if ya got one. The claws would make a nice necklace. Or key chain doo-dad. Bear meat is greasy but doable. Skinned bear looks just like a man.
0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 01, 2019, 21:46   #68
Wildcat
Registered

FALaholic #: 6517
The semi trailer.....
Is it bear resistant?
Old August 01, 2019, 22:53   #69
NFADLR
Registered

Well I would think not but then I keep truck parts and a lathe and mill in it so nothing that a bear would really want.

I don't know of any bears that work on trucks or are machinists.

I had about 800 lbs (16 bags) of chicken and duck food on the little trailer but have since moved it into the military shelters shown earlier in this thread.

If I need to bury the bear it would only be if he went after one of my dogs or ducks or family.

They can be annoying but I did leave the free duck food out didn't think of it and at the time I was given the bags didn't have a good secure space to keep it.

To the previous poster yes I have a FAL or two still bit if I need to put him down a soft point 30/06 from my 1940 M1 Garand will do the job just as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
The semi trailer.....
Is it bear resistant?
Old August 02, 2019, 14:25   #70
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 101
Lotta hand wringing here would go away if you put the food away. Yeah, it's not convenient, but neither can it be putting up with them getting into you stuff. SSS, although you really should eat it, works on that one bear. Putting the food away works on all of them.
kfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 02, 2019, 15:41   #71
Charles_The_Hammer
BANNED

FALaholic #: 76904
Just be sure to remove the gall bladder and sell it to a horny Asian guy for $400/ounce (if this is permitted by law in your state, of course).
Charles_The_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 04, 2019, 06:33   #72
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles_The_Hammer View Post
Just be sure to remove the gall bladder and sell it to a horny Asian guy for $400/ounce (if this is permitted by law in your state, of course).
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 05, 2019, 09:12   #73
akajun
Registered

FALaholic #: 22516
local guy told me two tricks that he said work like a charm. Said bears have good memories and don't like pain.
First one is electricity. He set up a few hot shot electric fence modules but says that the bears fur sometimes is a good enough insulator that they don't work or if they do, they freak out when zapped destroying the fence so he set up pieces of roofing tin or sheet metal on the ground insulated on glass bottles. Says their paws conduct current very well and most he has to do is flip the tin back up.
Other thing he has done is to take a can of r134a refrigerant and coat it in peanut butter. says the bear will chew on it, it will burst, freezing his mouth and scaring the crap out of him from the rapid release of gas.
Neither of these will injure the bear, just scare the hell out of it.
akajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 05, 2019, 09:53   #74
NFADLR
Registered

Thanks.

In a bit Ill see if the bear got into the trash as this morning was the pickup.

Ive seen the bear unwelcome mats and have been considering getting some of those hooked up around where I store it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akajun View Post
local guy told me two tricks that he said work like a charm. Said bears have good memories and don't like pain.
First one is electricity. He set up a few hot shot electric fence modules but says that the bears fur sometimes is a good enough insulator that they don't work or if they do, they freak out when zapped destroying the fence so he set up pieces of roofing tin or sheet metal on the ground insulated on glass bottles. Says their paws conduct current very well and most he has to do is flip the tin back up.
Other thing he has done is to take a can of r134a refrigerant and coat it in peanut butter. says the bear will chew on it, it will burst, freezing his mouth and scaring the crap out of him from the rapid release of gas.
Neither of these will injure the bear, just scare the hell out of it.
Old August 12, 2019, 12:12   #75
NFADLR
Registered

Have game cam setup and have put feed away and taken the COB to a friend's house down in Paradise as he feeds the local black tails.

I need to come up with a setup that let's me know it's taking pics of what ever critter is out there be it a bear.

Like a motion light with a feedback circuit to a smallish light in the house.

Anyone know of such a system ?

TG this wasn't anyone here.
https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/08/...acks-teenager/
Old August 12, 2019, 12:20   #76
John A
Registered

wireless driveway alarm would work fine.

Something walks in front of it, and the receiver that you plug into the wall socket in your house sounds like the doorbell.

Most wireless alarms will go several hundred feet away.

If you're 1000 feet from where you need to set up, the Rodann Electronics TXRX2000A wireless driveway alarm will work.
Old August 12, 2019, 12:32   #77
NFADLR
Registered

Thank you...

I check it out.
Old August 12, 2019, 12:49   #78
CG&L
Registered

FALaholic #: 27951
NFADLR

You're overthinking this x 1,000

Get a bag of pastries. Buy new if you want or get day olds from the grocery store, local bakery, cake shop or doughnut shop. Better yet, don't hold back and hit every place and get yourself a garbage bag full. You can put it in the freezer.

Make a small pile of the pastries in a good spot. A convenient place to shoot from, safe direction to shoot and all that. You probably already have a spot picked out.

Do this every day until the bear makes the doughnut snack a part of his daily routine.

Then shoot the sumbitch. Any rifle with any round will do. I would make a brain shot as I do that when poaching. Hunting would have been a better word to use and I plan on trying it some day.
Old August 12, 2019, 13:58   #79
NFADLR
Registered

Make sure I have your contact info so I can call you to deal with the bears remains,
I don't have the equipment at present time to deal with a 500-750 lb bear.

I'm a little hesitant to do as you suggest as the local game warden already knows I have a issue with bears and he comes around every so often.

I don't like living in / on California but I would like living in a local jail even less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG&L View Post
NFADLR

You're overthinking this x 1,000

Get a bag of pastries. Buy new if you want or get day olds from the grocery store, local bakery, cake shop or doughnut shop. Better yet, don't hold back and hit every place and get yourself a garbage bag full. You can put it in the freezer.

Make a small pile of the pastries in a good spot. A convenient place to shoot from, safe direction to shoot and all that. You probably already have a spot picked out.

Do this every day until the bear makes the doughnut snack a part of his daily routine.

Then shoot the sumbitch. Any rifle with any round will do. I would make a brain shot as I do that when poaching. Hunting would have been a better word to use and I plan on trying it some day.
Old August 12, 2019, 14:07   #80
CG&L
Registered

You don't have a small chain saw? A big one would work, it would be a little tougher but it would work
It'll be a lot easier to haul off the pieces.

I wouldn't worry about the Game Warden. It's unlikely he's anywhere around. Only when there's poaching activity in the area and at the time of the shoot is there anything to worry about.

If all this is too much for you, bait the bear for a week and leave out a gallon of anti-freeze.
Old August 12, 2019, 19:13   #81
NFADLR
Registered

Dude (I'm assuming again) when you live in California then you can 2nd guess what the local game warden is doing and where he is doing it.

With my luck he is just down the hwy on his weekly rounds.

I know about SSS but when the man has already been by the land and on official business (bear being a hazard, making a mess out of my garbage 3 weeks in a row, chasing my chicken and ducks around the yard you too may be leery of removing this creature from the world without government permission.

If I hadn't made contact with Johnny in the green and on the spot in his green truck I would consider that option, but hind sight ehh.
Old August 12, 2019, 20:23   #82
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
A while back there was a post about shotgun slugs and the forensics of such, very informative. I would call the popo a couple of times and tell popo i am a feared for my families life due to bear. So when u pop him , self defense. But u r n californistan so allbets are off.
0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2019, 20:39   #83
CG&L
Registered

You just said the magic words 'chasing my chickens and ducks around the yard'

A bear threatens my chickens that would be the end of that bear with a quickness.

I like my chickens. They're like people without all the bad stuff that makes them a pain in the ass to put up with. And chickens are smarter than most people.
And chickens are more productive than most people. They produce eggs.
Old August 12, 2019, 21:25   #84
Randall
Registered

NFADLR, I haven't read this entire thread, so forgive me if I'm asking silly questions.

Do you live in the country? Do you have a California Hunting License?
If so, just go buy yourself a bear tag. You can do so online. If not, go get yourself a hunting license and a bear tag. Bear season opens with the deer season. If it is deer archery season in your area, you can hunt it with a bow. You can continue to hunt it with a bow through the gun season as well if you want to...or, are too close to your neighbors to shoot a rifle. The season remains open until something like 1500 are killed throughout the state. Last years season went into 2019 before they closed the season. It is a long season. Just sayin' bear meat doesn't suck if you know how to cook it, and you could make a nice rug out of it as well.

Good luck with decision.
Randy
Old August 12, 2019, 23:02   #85
NFADLR
Registered

Yes I'm in a county area.

Nope dont have a state issued hunting lisence, Can't find what they want to apply for such a license, don't have any other contracts so if they want a driver lisence to apply for a u
hunting license that's a deal breaker.

If you or anyone can post a link to what is requires to apply and receive such a license I would be obliged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall View Post
NFADLR, I haven't read this entire thread, so forgive me if I'm asking silly questions.

Do you live in the country? Do you have a California Hunting License?
If so, just go buy yourself a bear tag. You can do so online. If not, go get yourself a hunting license and a bear tag. Bear season opens with the deer season. If it is deer archery season in your area, you can hunt it with a bow. You can continue to hunt it with a bow through the gun season as well if you want to...or, are too close to your neighbors to shoot a rifle. The season remains open until something like 1500 are killed throughout the state. Last years season went into 2019 before they closed the season. It is a long season. Just sayin' bear meat doesn't suck if you know how to cook it, and you could make a nice rug out of it as well.

Good luck with decision.
Randy
Old August 13, 2019, 00:31   #86
AFeod
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Bob, you’ll need a CA DL or Fed ID for a hunting license. I needed to show one to put on the record just to take the Hunter’s safety class to be eligible to apply for my license. After that it’s easy and cheap for a bear tag.

I like the self proclaimed poacher. I would really listen to that guy...

I still have that bear box I sent you pictures of. I will GIVE it to ya, because I don’t need it and it’ll help you out.
Old August 13, 2019, 00:56   #87
NFADLR
Registered

Thanks for the generous gift.

It's not in the cards for me to get a CA DL or ID, might have a Passport one now these days but not in time to get a hunting license.

Maybe I'll get a poachers license so much easier.

talk to you soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFeod View Post
Bob, you’ll need a CA DL or Fed ID for a hunting license. I needed to show one to put on the record just to take the Hunter’s safety class to be eligible to apply for my license. After that it’s easy and cheap for a bear tag.

I like the self proclaimed poacher. I would really listen to that guy...

I still have that bear box I sent you pictures of. I will GIVE it to ya, because I don’t need it and it’ll help you out.
Old August 13, 2019, 07:46   #88
AFeod
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I look forward to hearing from you.

Just an FYI, I was being facetious about the self proclaimed poacher... that guy is, 1, an idiot for posting the fact that he poaches...2, is a huge POS, because he poaches...

Just saying
Old August 13, 2019, 09:52   #89
NFADLR
Registered

PS/ This one isn't my bear nor was he ever in the area, well the man in pic was in paradise just after the fire was put out, but he wasn't with the bear just two liberal assholes.

I'll be emailing Tahoe dude AFeod.

Old August 13, 2019, 18:52   #90
Randall
Registered

Quote:
Yes I'm in a county area.

Nope dont have a state issued hunting lisence, Can't find what they want to apply for such a license, don't have any other contracts so if they want a driver lisence to apply for a u
hunting license that's a deal breaker.

If you or anyone can post a link to what is requires to apply and receive such a license I would be obliged.
Yep, as AFEOD mentioned, you definitely will need a legal ID along with proof of a Hunter Safety class. Sorry bro, wish I could help you out.
Old November 11, 2019, 00:23   #91
NFADLR
Registered

BASTARD IS BACK...

Or at least something killed my last two ducks a few days ago and also just last night or today some time took the remains of them I had prepped to cremate in a burn barrel.

These critters were part of the family so to speak.

The ducks were 10-12 years old, so elderly I suppose.

I now have the light mount for my garand and the light that mounts on it is bad.

YES it was a chink knock off.

Now I need a good high lumen light for the garand.
Old November 11, 2019, 09:55   #92
wanneroo
Registered

FALaholic #: 74891
I was swamped with bears this year due to the bear season last year being a bust due to a big winter storm that drove the bears to hibernate. This year the state added a early muzzleloader season for bears and thanks to my trail cam intel, a family friend was persistent for a few days and got one. So that is population down by one.

Once they find a source of food they will be back through and in my case on this rural property, there are tons of apple trees and berry bushes and similar things so not much I can do about that. For me this year I was seeing them way too often so time to knock the population down. The main bear season is coming up and a family is coming to give the property a sweep and see if they can flush out another.

I'd say if you have a bear that is getting danger close into stuff at the house then they have crossed the line and it's time to hunt him when the season is on or let someone else do it.
wanneroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2019, 10:44   #93
NFADLR
Registered

That is also the same reason I had a hard time transferring my FN 50.63 last year.

I had to find a willing FFL that knew me from my days as a FFL holder.

NOT worth it getting a DL/ID being so close to getting away from this communist state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall View Post
Yep, as AFEOD mentioned, you definitely will need a legal ID along with proof of a Hunter Safety class. Sorry bro, wish I could help you out.
Old November 11, 2019, 13:22   #94
ratas calientes
Registered

FALaholic #: 1841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
. . .
I don't like Bear, see them as huge Rats

. . .
I saw that!
Old November 12, 2019, 05:08   #95
Grunt
Registered

FALaholic #: 130
Why don't you invite legal licensed hunters to hunt the bear on your property during hunting season. The hunters will have an easy hunt since the bear make your house a regular stop and the hunters will take the dead body away. I bet you can find a Bear Hunting Forum for your area on line with a few google searches.
Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2019, 11:30   #96
NFADLR
Registered

Having a license is only for legal fictions, flesh and blood men and women IMO don't require such fictional overlays aka STRAWMAN.

NO offence but I've always been of the opinion that anyone that owns land can hunt that land without permission from any government agencie.

Thank you for the suggestion however.

I would entertain intrested individuals from this forum that live nearby that have a desire to hunt blackbeard contact me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
Why don't you invite legal licensed hunters to hunt the bear on your property during hunting season. The hunters will have an easy hunt since the bear make your house a regular stop and the hunters will take the dead body away. I bet you can find a Bear Hunting Forum for your area on line with a few google searches.
Old November 12, 2019, 22:56   #97
NFADLR
Registered

Last pic of my last two ducks.

Had them in this cage and had put them in the barn during a wind storm 24 hrs previous.