The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old September 20, 2012, 23:11   #51
unionguy
Registered

FALaholic #: 36394
Two reviews in one day!

"Doomsday fiction is the genre, and author R.P. Ruggiero checks in with an action-packed and realistic novel of what happens when a fast-moving and highly-lethal virus overwhelms suburban Portland, Oregon and the rest of the world. Lots to enjoy here, and lots to learn about prepping too, and how to handle yourself and the situations that unfold when society is breaking down from the effects of a relentless disaster. Grab a copy of the book and settle in for a great read. Thumbs up!"--www.shruggingitout.blogspot.com

"So it is my pleasure to recommend Brushfire Plague...Frankly, this book is a refreshing departure from the spate of "survivalist" books on the market...The book is written in a very engaging style...Mr. Ruggiero captures both the flaws and perfection of our human nature."--www.salvationandsurvival.com
unionguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2012, 18:17   #52
unionguy
Registered

New Review!

--"This book is so worth your time and money...So this is a must read and share. Better yet buy two, keep one in your collection, and do a friend a solid."--www.bearflagtrading.com
Old September 26, 2012, 19:09   #53
unionguy
Registered

Interview w/ me and review of Brushfire Plague

Great new review of Brushfire Plague w/ interview with me, the author!

MY THOUGHTS: This book was a great read! From the beginning, the author draws you into the story by using one of my favorite literary tools....the flash back. You quickly become emotionally innvolved with the main character and his son through learning of their heart rending loss, which sets the stage for the book. This is one of those "can't put it down" books. Once you start you will stay up all night to find out how it ends. Like all books of this genre, I was able to extrapolate some practical tips to file away in case of future need. As a disclaimer, the language is a little strong in some areas, but certainly not gratuitous or to excess.

https://sites.google.com/site/southe...ushfire-plague
Old September 30, 2012, 12:31   #54
unionguy
Registered

A link to all the Reviews!

All the reviews so far in one place, check it out!

http://brushfireplague.com/?page_id=108
Old October 04, 2012, 22:24   #55
unionguy
Registered

new review!

"Brushfire Plague is riveting and fast paced. Once I picked it up, it was hard to put down. I appreciated the detailed descriptions of the early days of the pandemic and how quickly society started degrading. The book portrayed in a realistic manner how people would react to a sudden disaster: they start out being in denial and have trouble accepting that the lawlessness can reach through their nice neighborhood. At the same time, there is a ray of hope that in the face of tragedy: good people can unite and help each other survive."

New review from www.apartmentprepper.com
Old October 05, 2012, 09:30   #56
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Just finished the book and generally really enjoyed it. Particularly the story and writing style but also the fact that it did not contain any gratuitous sex. Some of the gore I did not understand and it did not seem to make much sense but then I have never lived through such a break-down in a major (or minor) metropolitan area so maybe it will occur. Anyway, I am moved to offer a serious critique that I hope will be accepted in the spirit it is offered. I don’t want to offend or hurt a budding writer’s feelings but to be perfectly blunt and to get right to the point, did anybody proofread the book before it was published?

I don’t want to get into specifics as it might spoil the reading for some, although I could as there are far too many examples. I will say they mostly seem to fall in what I would call “continuity” for lack of a better term. I am sure there is a better, more professional term but not being in the publishing industry I do not know what it is. These are general examples of what I am talking about:
1) Items introduced but not explained until later in the book. This distracted me from the story as I was reading along wondering “what the heck” until it was eventually explained.
2) Subjects (people) mentioned or introduced that just vanish from the story even though others introduced at the same time and condition are developed and their eventual disposition explained.
3) Same message told twice, right after one another, just worded a little differently.
4) Minor style, or writing issues. These could probably be forgiven but there were a few sentences I believe could have been worded differently and would be easier to read. Something a mature writer or experienced editor/proof reader might suggest.

To be fair, I have not spent anytime going back to confirm these and there are others that escape me right now. Some may be things I missed during the first reading but I don’t think so, I have very high reading comprehension. I in no way want to dissuade the Author from continuing and sincerely hope to see more books, I just hope they get proofread before publishing. I don’t want to make more or less of this than it is but these things are very distracting and do detract from the enjoyment of the book for me. I apologize for using this forum for this topic but it seems only fair given the continuing, unanswered, Author’s use of the thread to pump the book and post positive comments. I will offer this as a show of my sincerity, if I am contacted and requested politely by the Author, I will take the time to go back through the book and provide the exact lines and pages I am talking about.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 05, 2012, 12:51   #57
GUNNERUP
Registered

FALaholic #: 36824
Just finished the book"Brush Fire Plague" as recommended by the outstanding web site. Great writting, flowing story line, very happy with the investment of my money for this book. However, I have one question. How many magazines was our "Hero" carrying? Do you realize how many "flame war" would have ended by that single answer, seem like the same question every month " Do I carry 4 or 8 or maybe 12 ". The the young guy's "Oh I always carry 18 or 22 full mags. as sweep I across the land with my mightys FAL, never sleeping,on the move, cleansing the land with my AWESOMENESS". See all this BS could have been avoided. Can't want for the next book!! Keep up the good work.
GUNNERUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 05, 2012, 17:40   #58
unionguy
Registered

Timberwolf--Feedback appreciated. I will PM you to get specifics from you to either clarify things or improve the sequel. I appreciate your concern about my feelings, but don't worry! First, once you put a book out there, you have to be ready for some critiques. Second, lots of positive feedback (including yours) so far, so I have some additional armor! I'm glad you enjoyed it overall, and look forward to getting more specifics.

Gunnerup--thanks also for your feedback. I had no idea a fictional novel had the power to settle the "how many mags" question! Heck, if I'd known that, I would have answered the caliber question too!

Thanks again everyone.
Old October 12, 2012, 15:41   #59
unionguy
Registered

8 Lessons in Brushfire Plague

http://www.backdoorsurvival.com/

Great review, they pulled out "8 lessons" from Brushfire Plague.
Old October 24, 2012, 23:19   #60
unionguy
Registered

New Review from Apocalyptic Fiction!

Latest Review!

http://apocalypticfiction.com/

Ruggiero has written a very entertaining apocalyptic novel that presents an entirely possible pandemic scenario through a cast of interesting and likeable characters. Bring on the sequel!
Old October 25, 2012, 10:07   #61
d_s
Registered

FALaholic #: 5575
I just picked up a copy from Amazon, waiting for it to be delivered, cant wait to dig in, sounds like its going to be hard to put it down!!
d_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2012, 23:07   #62
unionguy
Registered

Thanks for ordering it! Let me know what you think after digging in...review it...tell all your friends...make it a present...etc. etc.
Old October 30, 2012, 11:06   #63
d_s
Registered

FALaholic #: 5575
Will do Unionguy, I bought it to read during some upcoming PTO, it just arrived yesterday, so far, the only suggestion I have is to put a nice picture of a FAL in the middle, for reference and what not :P
d_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 09, 2012, 11:07   #64
unionguy
Registered

Just hit my 50th review on Amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/Brushfire-Plag...ushfire+plague
Old November 23, 2012, 00:22   #65
unionguy
Registered

Black Friday

It's Black Friday soon...so, I gotta say: Don't forget Brushfire Plague as a gift for that apocalyptic fiction person on your list...or someone you want to get to open their eyes on the need to Prep!

Old December 06, 2012, 10:39   #66
C2A1
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 15514
Got two copies one for me and one as a gift. My 8th grade son found it and read it cover to cover in two days before I finished my read. I appreciated the story line ( On an airplane with a bio scientist from south africa in the early 80s (true story)..........) and details of weapons and actions. Characters believable. Loved Hank and the conversion, even my son commented on it. Only flaw that jumped out at me is zinging bullets, being down range from live bullets its that they snap or click by, verse spent rounds that have hit something and are tumbling (subsonc) in which case they make a different sound.
Thumbs up to you. I started two books and have never finished them, lot of work.
C2A1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 08, 2012, 12:10   #67
unionguy
Registered

Thank you for the great feedback! One of my boys is in 8th grade too and devoured it too. thanks for the support.

I'm also linking an interview some of you might want to read.

http://www.backdoorsurvival.com/inte...-r-p-ruggiero/
Old December 27, 2012, 19:50   #68
unionguy
Registered

Amazon gift card?

What better use for that Amazon gift card but a book that will entertain and inform!

Also, just hit my 65th review on Amazon! 63 of them are 4 or 5 star!!

http://www.amazon.com/Brushfire-Plag...6655454&sr=8-1

Thanks to everyone here for your support!
Old December 30, 2012, 20:36   #69
DFWBob
Registered

FALaholic #: 82
Ordered it Thursday. Got shipping confirmation on Friday. I should have it Wednesday. Looking forward to reading it after reading a few of the reviews.
DFWBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 09, 2013, 09:28   #70
unionguy
Registered

Great, thank you sir!
Old February 13, 2013, 13:33   #71
unionguy
Registered

A nice video review of Brushfire Plague and 2 other fine books!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDpOyd5MsZs
Old April 10, 2013, 15:14   #72
unionguy
Registered

Now 10% off

Brushfire Plague is now 10% on Amazon for the paperback and there are 85 reviews too!

http://www.amazon.com/Brushfire-Plag...5624759&sr=8-1
Old July 07, 2013, 11:53   #73
unionguy
Registered

Sequel coming out...

I just wanted to let everyone know here that the sequel to Brushfire Plague should be out in October. So, it's a great time to re-read BP, pass your copy to a friend, or encourage them to get a copy in preparation for the sequel!

And, thanks to all here for your support!
Old July 07, 2013, 12:54   #74
GUNNERUP
Registered

FALaholic #: 36824
Please let us know when we can pre-order your newest novel ! Loved your last tale of doom.
GUNNERUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 08, 2013, 18:58   #75
El Mac
Registered

FALaholic #: 39512
Got the Kindle version.
El Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 08, 2013, 21:29   #76
Jaxxas
Don't Tread On Me!
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34933
Quote:
Originally Posted by unionguy View Post
Hey Fellow Fal Filers--My first novel has been published by Prepper Press! It's an action/survival story set amidst a devastating plague. Good survival lessons are built in, but its a great read first and foremost. As a bonus, the FAL plays a prominent role as the weapon of choice of the protagonist. You can visit Amazon for a full description...it's available in paperback and Kindle.

or visit www.brushfireplague.com as well.

Thanks for your support!

Moderator: I hope this is OK to post in this section, please let me know if not...it seemed like the most logical place.

Pretty good story!

A golf course is a complete waste of a good rifle range. Jarhead
Jaxxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2013, 06:46   #77
Spook76
Registered
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 32840
Crap...I knew I shouldn't have read this thread. Now, I have to order a copy.

I'll be sure to post here after I read it!
Spook76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2013, 22:08   #78
unionguy
Registered

Sequel out by the end of November!

Finally! The sequel to Brushfire Plague will be out by the end of November. If you didn't read the original, you can read the first not one, but TWO chapters of Brushfire Plague free here: http://prepperpress.com/wp-content/u...ne-and-Two.pdf

Then, if you like it, you can order it on Amazon or BN.com

Brushfire Plague: Reckoning coming soon...so time to Catch the Plague! And, like any good plague...this one needs your help to spread!!

thanks to all for your support!

P.S. the cover of the sequel has the FAL on it!
Old November 23, 2013, 16:43   #79
unionguy
Registered

Limited Time, only $4.95!

Just learned from my publisher that Brushfire Plague is available on Kindle for only $4.95 (for a limited time)...and the sequel should be out any day now! Help me spread the word, if you can.
http://www.amazon.com/Brushfire-Plag...qid=1385242741
Old November 23, 2013, 20:36   #80
unionguy
Registered

J. Armstrong--thanks! It's called, Brushfire Plague: Reckoning. (I found out, it is NOW up on Amazon, but the links are not in one place yet. You can search "Brushfire Plague Reckoning Kindle" or "Brushfire Plague Reckoning Paperback" to get which version you want though!)

Here's the video trailer for the original BP, to get everyone fired up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=todUhnHsSZQ
Old November 23, 2013, 22:16   #81
R4 fan
Registered

FALaholic #: 1442
Don't know how I missed this, but I just ordered a copy. So hopefully Part 2 will be out soon!

http://www.whatstandard.com

http://www.goodpersontest.com
R4 fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2013, 02:18   #82
Jay-H
Registered

FALaholic #: 71480
Down loaded to my Kindle.
Jay-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2013, 04:03   #83
Tylos
Registered

FALaholic #: 72233
Unlovely Idea

Quote:
Hey Fellow Fal Filers--My first novel has been published by Prepper Press! It's an action/survival story set amidst a devastating plague. Good survival lessons are built in, but its a great read first and foremost. As a bonus, the FAL plays a prominent role as the weapon of choice of the protagonist. You can visit Amazon for a full description...it's available in paperback and Kindle.
Gonna get it.

Ty
Tylos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2013, 16:10   #84
unionguy
Registered

Thank you all for the support! Please help me spread the word by posting reviews here, other forums, on Facebook, on Amazon, etc! All the marketing is on me so all help is greatly appreciated.

This is a good link for all the info, how to order, free chapters, etc. (it's good to share this out too!)

www.brushfireplague.com

best,
RP
Old November 30, 2013, 12:17   #85
dtom29
Registered

FALaholic #: 33803
I was having trouble finding the first volume for my kindle, doing a search on Amazon was only showing the paperback. Your link works but a search doesn't, you might want to check on that. Anyway, I bought it....
dtom29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 01, 2013, 09:34   #86
unionguy
Registered

Thanks. Amazon screwed up the links, but I think they are fixed now. www.brushfireplague.com has all the info and proper links as well.

j. Armstrong--I will see how I can possibly offer a few signed copies here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtom29 View Post
I was having trouble finding the first volume for my kindle, doing a search on Amazon was only showing the paperback. Your link works but a search doesn't, you might want to check on that. Anyway, I bought it....
Old December 09, 2013, 22:30   #87
unionguy
Registered

Interview!

Interview with yours truly about the Brushfire Plague series and prepping in general!
http://poormanprepper.com/episode-45...ries12-9-2013/
Old January 01, 2014, 23:27   #88
Cavadus
Registered

FALaholic #: 72900
Just picked up the first one and will start tomorrow :-)
Cavadus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 04, 2014, 16:37   #89
unionguy
Registered

Thanks, let me know what you think!
Old January 05, 2014, 13:02   #90
Exit308
Saxon/Celt
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 62143
I just picked up the sequel yesterday at the Portland Gunshow. I'm looking forward to picking up the story again. I grew up in and still live in the AO where the story is set, so it is kind of interesting and easy to envision the locations.

The truth does not require your belief.

"Fracking involves a two-phase combustion process: the first phase burns borrowed money to produce oil and gas; the second burns the oil and the gas." Dmitri Orlov
Exit308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 07, 2014, 19:03   #91
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Just finished the sequel Brushfire Plague; Reckoning". I was prepared to be disappointed, as sequels don't always have the best track record of living up to their predecessors, but I am happy to say that, if anything, this book is superior to the first ! It really includes some nice lessons on group dynamics ( as I am sure you intended !!!).

I think one of the strengths of the book is that it doesn't attempt to explain or teach every little trick or detail; it is not a "survival primer". It spends a good bit of effort to be somewhat off the beaten track usually covered in other such novels, which I enjoyed and appreciated !

Two thumbs up - if anyone hasn't sampled these books yet, I would recommend that you do so. I do not believe you will be disappointed !!!

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 09, 2014, 07:10   #92
unionguy
Registered

Thank you both!

J. Armstrong--Thanks! I think it's actually better too! If you can review on Amazon etc, much appreciated as well...but thanks so much for spreading your review to fellow FAL Filers!
Old January 11, 2014, 00:50   #93
Exit308
Saxon/Celt
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 62143
I started on the second novel today and so far, so good. Jim, this is a trilogy so there is one more to come.

The truth does not require your belief.

"Fracking involves a two-phase combustion process: the first phase burns borrowed money to produce oil and gas; the second burns the oil and the gas." Dmitri Orlov
Exit308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2014, 08:49   #94
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Quote:
Thank you both!

J. Armstrong--Thanks! I think it's actually better too! If you can review on Amazon etc, much appreciated as well...but thanks so much for spreading your review to fellow FAL Filers!
Yep - I already have space reserved on te bookshelf !!!

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2014, 11:21   #95
TheRussian
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 67648
Just bought it for my Kindle.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
TheRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2014, 11:36   #96
unionguy
Registered

Thank you good sir!

Thought some of you might enjoy some fun memes for the Brushfire Plague!

http://brushfireplague.com/?page_id=314
Old January 14, 2014, 09:40   #97
MReitz
Registered

FALaholic #: 53031
Bought the Kindle version and have now finished it. Very good book, and a great continuation of the first volume. I'm looking forward already to resolution in Vol. 3. Keep up the good writing!
MReitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2014, 20:00   #98
TheRussian
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 67648
About halfway through it, great read so far
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
TheRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2014, 21:12   #99
TXMoose
Registered

FALaholic #: 73164
Read both last weekend, very good read!

One question...when is Vol III going to be out?
TXMoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2014, 22:49   #100
SID325
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 14958
2nd book was good, really enjoyed it. What's the ballpark eta on the 3rd book?

Thanks,

Jacob