Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old October 22, 2019, 13:06   #1
lwikeyl
Registered

FALaholic #: 18324
Correct STG-58 receiver

Hey Guys,
I have a STG-58 kit I am going to be building soon. I was hoping to get a Coonan with a matched serial number but it appears that wont be a option. So, it looks like DSA it will be. Does anybody know what the correct receiver would have been on this kit? I am thinking type 2, but I don't know for sure.
Also, what would you recommend I have someone else do? I am thinking have someone install the barrel and headspace it. It seems the rest is pretty straight forward...

I have built 3-4 ak's from kits for reference.

Thanks.

Last edited by lwikeyl; October 22, 2019 at 13:16.
lwikeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2019, 13:27   #2
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
Metric type 1, 2,3
Old October 22, 2019, 13:37   #3
embatp
What? Me AR?
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 39856
Looks like a type 3 stub....
Old October 22, 2019, 13:41   #4
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Do yourself a giant favor and buy an Imbel GL Type III and shoot that beauty like the (old, surplus) laser that it undoubtedly was.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2019, 15:30   #5
Lee Carpentieri
Registered

FALaholic #: 4936
STG-58 Receiver Kit

You need a type 1 Upper receiver as your Kit was a type 1 lower and the barrel stub is a type 1.

The way to tell what lower you have is to look straight down at the backing plate, Towards the bottom of the backing plate it will have a L shape which is a type 1 lower, If it has a curve towards the bottom it would be a type 2 lower. If it's solid and straight down, It's a type 3 lower.

Now the only one that can throw a curve ball is the South African lower. It is called a 1.5 lower as it can have a SLIGHT curve and not as pronounced as a type 2 lower.
Old October 22, 2019, 15:41   #6
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
Quote:
Originally Posted by embatp View Post
Looks like a type 3 stub....

Say what?! Are you alright?

Any type will "work," but I would shoot for a DSA type I with carry handle cut.
Old October 22, 2019, 15:56   #7
Abominog
Registered

As we know, barrels and receivers were replaced. As it was built originally a type 1 would be correct. As fielded type 1,2,3 would be correct.

Note that if one is a purist for how a stg58 left the factory the short gas tube would have to be restored to long.
Old October 22, 2019, 16:28   #8
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abominog View Post

Note that if one is a purist for how a stg58 left the factory the short gas tube would have to be restored to long.
Please explain. Yes, I have a 59 stg with a short tube and have gas blocks too that originally have the pin hole with a soldered tube. Was this an arsenal thing? My other Stgs have a long tube. From the BCG it was fielded and shot. The rest of the kit looks to have little wear as in someone took care of it with no pits and the finish warn but still clean for a 60 yr rifle. It almost has a G1 color about it. Matching bolt and carrier Belgian and gray

OP, I like a nice LMT T1 or T2. They are lighter. I can afford to be a snob because I have them sitting idle or on guns I don't like that much. It depends on your interest. An IMBEL is a great choice and rather affordable but, I'ts not me anymore for an StG build as it looks like a brick. I wouldn't touch a Coonan nor DSA current stuff. But then again, I have enough good stuff in a pile that it's not a matter of money.

What's your goal? Mine is not lose too much money if I wanted to sell off the parts down the road. I crossed the plateau that all mine are not at least worth what I spent on them and some even more. This was not the case 8 years ago.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.

Last edited by meltblown; October 22, 2019 at 16:48.
meltblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2019, 16:35   #9
TraFALgar
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 4366
Quote:
I can't make out a production year stamp thru the cosmoline on the stub, but S/N 147759 is pretty high number late production. By that time they probably had short gas tubes straight from the factory.

def90 or nwobhm will be along shortly to tell us what is what.
TraFALgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2019, 16:41   #10
embatp
What? Me AR?
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 39856
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockjaw View Post
Say what?! Are you alright?

Any type will "work," but I would shoot for a DSA type I with carry handle cut.
The stub looks type 3....no evidence of the magwell lightning cut....the middle receiver section is different....
Old October 22, 2019, 18:05   #11
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Stub looks type 1(or 2) to me, the horizontal bar on the front right side is missing, ala type 1 or 2. That high of a number might have been a 2.
Center section for demilled StG were thrown into a pile and mixed upon packing up so are irrelevant.
Old October 22, 2019, 19:07   #12
lwikeyl
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
OP, I like a nice LMT T1 or T2.

What's your goal? Mine is not lose too much money if I wanted to sell off the parts down the road. I crossed the plateau that all mine are not at least worth what I spent on them and some even more. This was not the case 8 years ago.
Are the LMT a special order thing? There is nothing on their website.
The goal was to figure out what receiver was on the kit originally and put the same back on it. Was looking to keep the receiver and barrel installation around 7-8 hundred or so.
Sounds like a pic of the backing plate might help clarify things?
Thanks for all the responses so far.
Old October 22, 2019, 19:17   #13
munchoman
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 21848
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwikeyl View Post
Are the LMT a special order thing? There is nothing on their website.
The goal was to figure out what receiver was on the kit originally and put the same back on it. Was looking to keep the receiver and barrel installation around 7-8 hundred or so.
Thanks for all the responses so far.
LMT no longer make FAL receivers for DSA, there going for about 7 or 8 hundred now
"what receiver was on the kit originally" Type 1
munchoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2019, 19:30   #14
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

Quote:
One can see in the pic your lower is T1 cut, no need for more pics.
Old October 22, 2019, 19:30   #15
nwobhm
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

FALaholic #: 9580
Pull the handguards. Lets see the gas block.
nwobhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2019, 19:45   #16
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Lewis Machine Tool. Research. DSA sold the uppers,

Old October 22, 2019, 20:24   #17
jam762
Registered

FALaholic #: 68968
Type upper and lower kit. T1 LMT if you are determined to go as built clone. Otherwise I’d do as suggested above and go Imbel GL from PARS. Personally I’d go Imbel over LMT.
jam762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2019, 20:32   #18
Grahamneall
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 62175
Price and function...Imbel and be done with it, unless you have money to burn (??).

Direct from Pars: $550 + $20 shipping (??()
G.
Grahamneall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2019, 20:55   #19
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

If your heart is set on correctness here you go.

https://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=446176

All types would be correct but as said above the T1 would be as it left the factory by all appearances. The type 1 in the ad isn't carry handle cut (CHC) but that can be added if you want to use the carry handle.
Old October 22, 2019, 20:57   #20
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamneall View Post
Price and function...Imbel and be done with it, unless you have money to burn (??).

Direct from Pars: $550 + $20 shipping (??()
G.
And FFL fee.
Old October 22, 2019, 21:03   #21
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

The OP has a gorgeous matching high number STG58 kit which was clearly built on a type I receiver.

Building on a type III would be a disservice to this kit.

Yes, an early LMT produced LMT receiver would be nice, but DSA's current offerings are solid. DSA just sold out of a batch of type I receivers. Check their website and get on their notification list.

Your kit is AWESOME (I'm jealous). For whatever reason, a matching high number (140k+) kit has eluded me. Don't cut corners, it is worth the patience.
Old October 22, 2019, 21:38   #22
Lee Carpentieri
Registered

DSA Vs Imbel

Let's see, DSA at 384.95 VS Imbel at 550.00 = 165,05 price difference AND the Imbel requires a Additional US compliance part. What everyone around the internet has said about the new DSA receivers are made to spec and go together without problems.

Then like hkshooter said, Dealers fee's, Back ground check fee's and,WAIT FOR IT, Sales tax as almost all states are requiring it now as it's interstate income tax fee's.

lwikey, I'd wait and get on DSA's notice site when the type 1 uppers become available again and get ready to jump on one FAST, As we say around here, Snooze, You Lose as they are finally realizing that the economy has slowed down and that people are willing to wait to get a better product as compared to their past.
Old October 22, 2019, 21:52   #23
Grahamneall
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 62175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Carpentieri View Post
Let's see, DSA at 384.95 VS Imbel at 550.00 = 165,05 price difference AND the Imbel requires a Additional US compliance part. What everyone around the internet has said about the new DSA receivers are made to spec and go together without problems.

Then like hkshooter said, Dealers fee's, Back ground check fee's and,WAIT FOR IT, Sales tax as almost all states are requiring it now as it's interstate income tax fee's.

lwikey, I'd wait and get on DSA's notice site when the type 1 uppers become available again and get ready to jump on one FAST, As we say around here, Snooze, You Lose as they are finally realizing that the economy has slowed down and that people are willing to wait to get a better product as compared to their past.

Yes, I forgot the DSA $385 price, versus Imbel.
Either way, FFL will come into it.
Cast versus Forged...but we're not in a battle throwing thousands of rounds down the pipe but as you state;'Snooze you Loose'.
Graham.
Grahamneall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2019, 21:57   #24
Abominog
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockjaw View Post
The OP has a gorgeous matching high number STG58 kit which was clearly built on a type I receiver.

Building on a type III would be a disservice to this kit.

Yes, an early LMT produced LMT receiver would be nice, but DSA's current offerings are solid. DSA just sold out of a batch of type I receivers. Check their website and get on their notification list.

Your kit is AWESOME (I'm jealous). For whatever reason, a matching high number (140k+) kit has eluded me. Don't cut corners, it is worth the patience.
But you’re getting the wood stock, which is rarer than matching parts. No doubt that stock will some day grace a matching numbers kit. Patience is the name of our game!
Old October 22, 2019, 21:59   #25
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
But you’re getting the wood stock, which is rarer than matching parts. No doubt that stock will some day grace a matching numbers kit. Patience is the name of our game!
Old October 22, 2019, 22:47   #26
lwikeyl
Registered

I looked at that ad, and I think I will wait for a DSA type 1 with the cut already in it. I don't think Im interested in adding the cut then refinishing the receiver. The sad part is I emailed DSA a few weeks ago and they told me they were getting type 1's in, but I had no idea they would sell out that quick.

Here is the gas block...

Thanks for all the information!!!

I still have no idea how in the heck you guys were able to figure out what receiver it was built on origionally. Impressive!
Old October 23, 2019, 04:24   #27
munchoman
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 21848
Quote:

I still have no idea how in the heck you guys were able to figure out what receiver it was built on origionally. Impressive!
take a look at the ad dashaus has, from top to bottom Type 3,1,2,
compare the receiver stub you have on your barrel, you have a Type 1

https://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=446176
munchoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2019, 06:51   #28
nwobhm
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
I looked at that ad, and I think I will wait for a DSA type 1 with the cut already in it. I don't think Im interested in adding the cut then refinishing the receiver. The sad part is I emailed DSA a few weeks ago and they told me they were getting type 1's in, but I had no idea they would sell out that quick.

Here is the gas block...

Thanks for all the information!!!

Interesting..... how about we go a little deeper now. Remove the regulator and gas plug..... we are looking for a retainer pin hole and Steyr oval proofs.

I expected to see a non lightening cut gasblock....but it is lightening cut.
Old October 23, 2019, 06:58   #29
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 9689
Quote:

The difference perhaps in quality in a forged verses a cast receiver if anyone is into those specifics. There are few forged AK47 receivers and perhaps thousands of AKM stamped metal receivers in our country. Not much bitchin' from the AK crowd on specifics as both receivers function just fine.

As I had stated before, don't let the sun catch you in bed and hit the DSA site on receivers first thing out of bed every morning. The available receivers are usually listed before customer service opens.
Old October 23, 2019, 23:52   #30
rurallife
Registered

FALaholic #: 82777
Someone local is selling a couple LMT's, a type one and a type two. Want a link?

$700 DS Type I Not Handle Cut DS 2780X built never fired
$800 DS Type II DS 2288X

It appears they're already partially built up.

Unfortunately only the type two is handle cut.
rurallife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2019, 04:39   #31
Lee Carpentieri
Registered

DSarms receiver

DSA SA58 Stripped Semi Auto FAL Receiver - Type 1 Carry Handle Cut

Specifications:
Marked 7.62x51mm Caliber.
Made in the USA by craftsmen, the USA Gold Standard FAL Receiver.
Fully heat-treated, manganese phosphate finished, ejector block installed.
Lifetime Warranty.
Unbeatable Lifetime warranty and quality.
Precision CNC machined out of 4140 steel using original FN and Steyr blueprints.
Over 70,000 manufactured to date.

It does say 4140 STEEL.Now is that Billet, Forged or Cast?

I remember when FNH went to Casting's 1982 with the FN-FAL and 07 manufactures were taking casting's and making Transferable machine guns out of them before May Of 1986

Last edited by Lee Carpentieri; October 24, 2019 at 04:57.
Lee Carpentieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2019, 11:19   #32
lwikeyl
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwobhm View Post
Interesting..... how about we go a little deeper now. Remove the regulator and gas plug..... we are looking for a retainer pin hole and Steyr oval proofs.

I expected to see a non lightening cut gasblock....but it is lightening cut.
Its hard to see, but there is a stamp on the plug. Not sure where the retainer pin hole location is.

Old October 24, 2019, 12:24   #33
nwobhm
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Not the gas plug. More pics of the gas block with regulator and gas plug removed.

The front and rear ears and sides of the gas blocks are typical for Steyr markings. Want to see if there is a retainer pin hole under the gas regulator.
Old October 24, 2019, 22:05   #34
lwikeyl
Registered

Didn't see any markings.

Old October 25, 2019, 01:59   #35
Hebrew Battle Rifle
Horses Ass
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 5777
Quote:
Not sure where the retainer pin hole location is.
Your block doesn't have one.
Old October 25, 2019, 05:58   #36
nwobhm
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Cool gas block. Lightening cut and short tube exclusive.

Old October 25, 2019, 07:30   #37
Lee Carpentieri
Registered

Steyr gas blocks

lwikeyl, If you haven't figured It out yet, What everybody is talking about with the Steyr made gas block is, Steyr decided to cut cost by NOT drilling the gas block for the Gas tube pin hole and at the same time not thread the inside of the gas block like FN did and cut the gas tube to less than half the regular gas tube lenght and then just braze weld the cut gas tube inside the the back end of the gas block.
Old October 25, 2019, 18:18   #38
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

Quote:
lwikeyl, If you haven't figured It out yet, What everybody is talking about with the Steyr made gas block is, Steyr decided to cut cost by NOT drilling the gas block for the Gas tube pin hole and at the same time not thread the inside of the gas block like FN did and cut the gas tube to less than half the regular gas tube lenght and then just braze weld the cut gas tube inside the the back end of the gas block.
Yup. Tells me it wasn't just a field expedient repair of a bent or worn out tube but an intentional design modification done at the factory level.
Old October 25, 2019, 18:50   #39
MrBen
Registered

FALaholic #: 11323
That’s a nice kit. It deserves a correct type 1 receiver. I really wish we had some better options for getting matching number receivers these days but so it goes.
Old October 25, 2019, 18:57   #40
boman
Registered

FALaholic #: 395
gas blocks

Lwikeyl, just to share a little more info. The reason your gas block is "interesting" is that most seen like yours don't have the lightening cut. I've attached a pic of two of my rifles with the more common encountered ie no lightning cut.
Steve

solid gas blk by steve bowman, on Flickr
Old October 26, 2019, 08:22   #41
def90
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
For looks and originality build it on a type 1 in which your only real option is a DSA. For function build it on an Imbel type 3.
Old October 26, 2019, 13:34   #42
David N.
Registered

FALaholic #: 12778
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwobhm View Post
Cool gas block. Lightening cut and short tube exclusive.

So this type of gas block is rare for the StG? I have two that are definitely like this, and probably a third. One is on an StLf3 barrel with a serial number about 6k below the one here, the other is on a VCL in the 12Xk range. I think I have another kit with an StLf3 barrel with a s/n quite a bit higher, which I'm pretty sure has the same block.
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2019, 14:30   #43
STGguy
Registered

FALaholic #: 81733
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
Do yourself a giant favor and buy an Imbel GL Type III and shoot that beauty like the (old, surplus) laser that it undoubtedly was.
Brunop is spot on here. My most accurate STG 58's have been on Imbel T3 receivers. They loved my 168gr Sierra or Horn HPBT handloads with AA 2520 best. Ball Ammo was good but not as good as the match tips. If you don't hand load and want a treat some time, buy a box or so of the Federal 168Gr GMM , carefully fire 5 and see what happens to your group size if your into that kind of thing....

" Only Accurate Rifles Are Interesting" Townsend Whelen! I subscribe to that manner of thinking... but that's just me...
STGguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2019, 14:40   #44
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David N. View Post
So this type of gas block is rare for the StG? I have two that are definitely like this, and probably a third. One is on an StLf3 barrel with a serial number about 6k below the one here, the other is on a VCL in the 12Xk range. I think I have another kit with an StLf3 barrel with a s/n quite a bit higher, which I'm pretty sure has the same block.
Do any of yours have the pin hole?

I have two, 148995 and 150982, both lightening cut GB with soldered tubes, no pin holes.
Old October 26, 2019, 15:10   #45
David N.
Registered

FALaholic #: 12778
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post

I have two, 148995 and 150982, both lightening cut GB with soldered tubes, no pin holes.
No, no holes. Both exactly like the one above.
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2019, 16:19   #46
boman
Registered

FALaholic #: 395
Quote:
Quote:

No, no holes. Both exactly like the one above.
LOL---Looks like I'm outnumbered so disregard my "more common remark" in above post Counting the one lwikeyl has, you guys have six lightening cut and I only have 3 non-lightening cut. The one on the left pictured is 158004 and the one on the right pictured is 111k something. Third one is laying to the left with the handguard still on it and its another in the 158k range. non have pin holes. All three rifles have "virgin" recoil plates and 99% original finish.

Steve
Old October 26, 2019, 16:36   #47
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by STGguy View Post
Brunop is spot on here. My most accurate STG 58's have been on Imbel T3 receivers. They loved my 168gr Sierra or Horn HPBT handloads with AA 2520 best. Ball Ammo was good but not as good as the match tips. If you don't hand load and want a treat some time, buy a box or so of the Federal 168Gr GMM , carefully fire 5 and see what happens to your group size if your into that kind of thing....

" Only Accurate Rifles Are Interesting" Townsend Whelen! I subscribe to that manner of thinking... but that's just me...
Lasar? I have them built on LMT and IMBEL and screwing one together as we speak on a Grayslake. I don't thing the receivers make much difference. An StG will sling a turd every 5 or so shots no matter what. It's in the pedigree of these things.

Old October 26, 2019, 16:42   #48
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Lasar? I have them built on LMT and IMBEL and screwing one together as we speak on a Grayslake. I don't thing the receivers make much difference. An StG will sling a turd every 5 or so shots no matter what. It's in the pedigree of these things.
Actually, "laser" was Brunop's word. But we get you.
Old October 26, 2019, 16:50   #49
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Actually, "laser" was Brunop's word. But we get you.
Yeah, I know. I'm sick of type 3 receivers. I have too many already. Over 1/2 of mine are on them.

Old October 26, 2019, 17:58   #50
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Yeah, I know. I'm sick of type 3 receivers. I have too many already. Over 1/2 of mine are on them.
I understand. Whenever I build on one the thought is always tempered with the "ugly". Superior quality but ugly (I'm talking IMBEL here) vs inferior quality but sexy.
I'm envious of your StG/Grayslake project.
Here soon I may be faced for a second time with rebuilding an StG on a DSA T2 and losing the IMBEL but I hate taking them apart once built. DSA may win this time and if I had a Grayslake there would be no question.