The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The M1 / M14 Files

Notices

Old January 21, 2020, 13:57   #1
StraightShooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 9939
BM59SL stock question

I am trying to gather parts for BM59SL build and have a question about the stock.
Would it be possible to convert a Garand tipo 1 stock to a stock that can be used for the BM59SL? Besides the mag well and bolt stop cut, will anything else be necessary? I will be using a standard Garand buttplate and will not be using the winter trigger.
Thanks
Old January 21, 2020, 15:22   #2
ServiceRifle
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 23959
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightShooter View Post
I am trying to gather parts for BM59SL build and have a question about the stock.
Would it be possible to convert a Garand tipo 1 stock to a stock that can be used for the BM59SL? Besides the mag well and bolt stop cut, will anything else be necessary? I will be using a standard Garand buttplate and will not be using the winter trigger.
Thanks

You can easily convert ANY standard M1 Garand stock for use on a BM59 (the later BM59 version with the drop down gas cylinder - NOT THE BM59E version with the Garand gas cylinder). The BM59E requires a stock that is 1/2" shorter at the front end - BECAUSE OF THE WAY THE ITALIANS CONVERTED M1 30-06 Garand barrels into 7.62X51 - by milling 1/2" of metal off the chamber end of the 30-06 barrel.

1. You will need to enlarge the mag well. The easiest way to do this is with a bare (hand held) hacksaw blade - making the two front to back linear cuts. Then take a hand held drill and drill a line of small holes connecting the ends of the linear cuts. You should then be able to break out the section of wood that needs to be removed. Then with a flat wood rasp or coarse flat file you can file the rough cut smooth - giving it the slight beveled angle that you will need.

2. You will need to enlarge the inner part of the stock at the bolt stop to provide for the different BHO head of the BM59. You can do this with a Dremel and a cylindrical rotary stone.

3. The last thing that you will need to do is to drill the two lateral dimples in the sides of the front lower handguard part of the Garand stock to accommodate the dimples on the BM59 bipod. It just looks nicer and helps keep the BM59 bipod from jiggling around. Although you can do this with the tip of a large drill bit - my suggestion is to do it with a small countersink bit. You will need to mark the stock carefully.

4. You should leave the existing M1 Garand buttstock alone - and live with Garand configuration

If by BM59SL you mean a variant of the BM59E using the Garand gas system you will have to use the Tippo stock which is (I believe) 1/2" shorter on the front end - again - this is due to the way the Italians chopped 30-06 barrels (at the chamber end) to come up with 308 barrels.

Last edited by ServiceRifle; January 21, 2020 at 16:19.
ServiceRifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2020, 16:18   #3
StraightShooter
Registered

ServiceRifle - thanks for the reply.
I should have put in the original post I am wanting to build the BM59SL or BM59E model, not the Italian BM59. I bought a BM59E parts kit from Sarco a couple of years ago. The parts kit came with an extra Tipo 1 stock that does not have the mag well or bolt stop cut.
Old January 21, 2020, 16:48   #4
ServiceRifle
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 23959
It should be an easy conversion of a Tippo Garand stock to your BM59SL. The first two things in my list of 4 is all you need to concern yourself with as long as you are going to use the standard Garand buttplate and not have a winter trigger.
ServiceRifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2020, 18:19   #5
Frenchkat
Registered

FALaholic #: 17396
SS, I might have an old serviceable E stock I can give you. Ill have to check my box o stocks.
Old January 22, 2020, 01:50   #6
StraightShooter
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchkat View Post
SS, I might have an old serviceable E stock I can give you. Ill have to check my box o stocks.
Thanks for the offer on the stock. Sarco sent a fairly nice extra tipo 1 stock with the kit which I will be converting.
Old January 22, 2020, 07:32   #7
AliYahu
Registered

FALaholic #: 11084
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightShooter View Post
Thanks for the offer on the stock. Sarco sent a fairly nice extra tipo 1 stock with the kit which I will be converting.
If it's a NIW Italian, it's a T2 stock. The BM59E a/k/a BM59SL is 1/2" shorter at the breech, as mentioned, so the stocks are unique - and most are beautiful European walnut.
My rifle wears a GI Birch T2 stock I bought here on the 'Files for cheap, and had reworked by Sean at The Stock Emporium: http://www.thestockemporium.com/stock-pricing
At a minimum, you need the Bolt Stop Cut ($20) and Mag Well Cut ($30) - for a total of $50 plus shipping. You can also have the BM62/BM69 finger grooves done, and you can have it cut for an M14 butt plate and really confuse people at the range.
Enjoy the rifle, Sarco is out of kits after over 20 years!

Eli
AliYahu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2020, 14:47   #8
mp
Registered

FALaholic #: 654
Pretty sure I have a couple E Type stocks in the wood pile a well.
mp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2020, 23:40   #9
StraightShooter
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliYahu View Post
If it's a NIW Italian, it's a T2 stock. The BM59E a/k/a BM59SL is 1/2" shorter at the breech, as mentioned, so the stocks are unique - and most are beautiful European walnut.
Thanks for clarifying the stock for me. After some searching I found the bag the stock came in and it is a T2 stock.
All I initially saw were all the red stamps that said T1. I did not even notice the black stamp with the little tipo 2 on the bottom.

The stock does have an interesting figure to it.

Hopefully will ship it off to get a bolt stop & magwell cut soon.
Old January 24, 2020, 01:22   #10
BiGB808
Registered

FALaholic #: 18195
Dam thats nice wood.

Like a BBQ rifle
Old January 24, 2020, 08:17   #11
AliYahu
Registered

FALaholic #: 11084
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGB808 View Post
Dam thats nice wood.
I was thinking the same thing. In fact, that's one of the things that attracted me to the BM59E - the NIW European Walnut stocks!

Eli
AliYahu is offline   Reply With Quote