Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The 1911 Files

Notices

Old January 14, 2020, 20:52   #1
Heisser Mann
Registered

FALaholic #: 80843
Location: Firearms talk is main reason for joining from: Kingman Arizona
my new RIA 45

Got a screamin good deal--$390--only upgrade I did was new magpul grips. Shoots good! No jams, accurate.
Thanks Tom at Pawn World!
https://ibb.co/B4mdYWg

Heisser Mann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2020, 09:23   #2
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Congrats and hope you enjoy. Have over fifty 1911s but never been able to buy any made in the Philippines. Not to say there is anything wrong with them but like U.S. or Western European made firearms.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2020, 16:25   #3
Heisser Mann
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Congrats and hope you enjoy. Have over fifty 1911s but never been able to buy any made in the Philippines. Not to say there is anything wrong with them but like U.S. or Western European made firearms.
This is #3. Had no complaints with the other two, just needed to sell to pay bills. Had two Taurus PT 1911's as well--and a Para GI Expert. Had to sell em all. I'd like to buy a Colt all steel commander next. I love these pistols. Had alot of Glocks over the years and have grown tired of clunky Polymer. They work well but are so---plain. And I think glock sights, even aftermarket, dont hold a candle to 1911's and the triggers cant even be compared. hah! Now I need to shoot.
Old January 16, 2020, 04:19   #4
parallaxbill
Prototype machinist
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 26251
Congrats.

I have one of the compact HB RIA 45acp 1911's, a great shooting PT1911 and a 1978 Colt Gold Cup National Match. You'll never guess which is my favorite. A few 1911 variants by Star as well. All shoot well and are a lot of fun to shoot. My Glocks mostly sit in the gun room. Boring is the word when it comes to Glocks, IMHO.

Best Drop 8 time, 9.41, 8 for 8
6.5 Grendel AR15
parallaxbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2020, 12:57   #5
Heisser Mann
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallaxbill View Post
Congrats.

I have one of the compact HB RIA 45acp 1911's, a great shooting PT1911 and a 1978 Colt Gold Cup National Match. You'll never guess which is my favorite. A few 1911 variants by Star as well. All shoot well and are a lot of fun to shoot. My Glocks mostly sit in the gun room. Boring is the word when it comes to Glocks, IMHO.
With the newer 1911's, have ever experienced any failures due to MIM parts? I have not..but you hear stuff.
Old January 16, 2020, 14:47   #6
gw104
Registered

FALaholic #: 33874
Check out the Ruger CMD. In my opinion it's a better alternative to the Colt.
gw104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2020, 16:08   #7
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisser Mann View Post
This is #3. Had no complaints with the other two, just needed to sell to pay bills. Had two Taurus PT 1911's as well--and a Para GI Expert. Had to sell em all. I'd like to buy a Colt all steel commander next. I love these pistols. Had alot of Glocks over the years and have grown tired of clunky Polymer. They work well but are so---plain. And I think glock sights, even aftermarket, dont hold a candle to 1911's and the triggers cant even be compared. hah! Now I need to shoot.
I have multiple Commanders and Commander sized 1911s. My absolute favorite at moment is a SIG 1911 Compact Double Nickel which is Commander size and 7+1 ammo capacity. Carried one today into Atlanta as a backup to my 5" SIG STX which is another fine 1911. Past three years have been buying two to three SIG 1911s to all others combined. Had the STX strong side in a Jackslide leather holster and the Double Nickel in a Galco Classic Light with double mag pouch on weak side with pair of 10 round McCormick mags as the Galco Classic Light only allows a single eight round mag but does not interfere with draw if go for primary.

Making matters even more goofy had a SIG 1911 Tacops with Osprey 45 suppressor in zipper pouch on back of wife's wheel chair that has a sewn in racking system that holds six additional ten round magazines. Had to dump my STX before got out of truck and in preop dropped the Double Nickel in wife's big purse which went back on my body soon as got my body armor and shirt back on in post op. Wife was in sight of door to operatory entire time I was under so had her to launch rounds if anything went sideways in surgical center and she was wearing her favorite short cut/high waste NIJ 2 covert vest plus had her Walther PK 380 in a shoulder rig.
That said only 1911s usually buy now are Randalls, Colts I do not already own and a few other low production number high quality pistols from companies that went belly up before the world discovered how nice their pistols were and are now highly collectable. Same with Hi Powers, only buy models I don't already have in the fleet.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old January 17, 2020, 04:31   #8
parallaxbill
Prototype machinist
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 26251
Quote:
With the newer 1911's, have ever experienced any failures due to MIM parts? I have not..but you hear stuff.

No failures so far with the exception of Taurus's "lawyer lock" in the hammer of my PT1911. It would lock itself while firing so I just removed it. All good since.

Best Drop 8 time, 9.41, 8 for 8
6.5 Grendel AR15
parallaxbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2020, 11:09   #9
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

SIG uses MIM safeties (both single side and ambidextrous), slide stops and disconectors. Only part i have ever heard of breaking on SIG 1911s were ambidextrous safties. Funny thing is every one have read about breaking happened during dIsassembly. I have removed and replaced SIG factory safeties hundreds of times without breaking any but there is a very specific way to properly disassemble them. In my opinion majority if not all that were broken during disassembly were due to operator error and not the part. I can get some fine trigger pulls using their MIM disconnector. Own over a dozen SIG 1911so with the three known MIM parts and yet to have an issue.

Have two SIG 1911s with their MIM parts at work in my vault keep the range guns in I shoot weekly. Each have well over 5,000 rounds down the spout as its been a while since I replaced the recoil spring which I do every 5,000 rounds on all my 1911s. I probably need to look at my range log as it may be time or past time for their 10,000 round service which is a bit more involved than a 5,000 round service. Most ammo is 200 grain cast loaded to IPSC major power factor and ocassional magazine or two of factory defensive ammo. But there are some parts I would replace if MIM such as sear and hammer but SIG does not use MIM for those on their 1911s.

If I break a MIM part on any of my SIG 1911s will be suprised as none are true high stress parts except maybe the slide release but would estimate a combined 25,000 plus rounds through my SIGs and no failures yet.
Old January 18, 2020, 00:53   #10
croftonaviation
Living the dream
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64580
Hey that pistol looks familiar..............Glad you are enjoying it.

Tom
"They will live a long time, these men of the South Pacific. They had an American quality. They, like their victories, will be remembered as long as our generation lives. After that, like the men of the Confederacy, they will become strangers. Longer and longer shadows will obscure them, until their Guadalcanal sounds distant on the ear, like Shiloh and Valley Forge.

James Michener, Tales of the South Pacific.
croftonaviation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2020, 20:11   #11
Heisser Mann
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by croftonaviation View Post
Hey that pistol looks familiar..............Glad you are enjoying it.

Tom
Yes sir. Just got two metalform 8rd mags today in the mail. I will be in for other 1911's..and that CZ I mentioned. I May just order and have it sent to you. Thanks Tom 👍
Old January 21, 2020, 18:42   #12
Snake Bitten
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13425
Quote:
Got a screamin good deal--$390--only upgrade I did was new magpul grips. Shoots good! No jams, accurate.
Thanks Tom at Pawn World!
https://ibb.co/B4mdYWg

Congrats, the 1911 is my favorite handgun, enjoy, my ATI Commander length is a great carry, IMO. My ATI Commander or Colt Officers 1911 is my winter carry in a jackass style shoulder holster...

Guns have two enemies: Rust and Politicians
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Snake Bitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2020, 22:52   #13
fal762
Registered

FALaholic #: 66358
Huey was speaking of high end 191s. Does anyone have or used a Cabot?
fal762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2020, 13:45   #14
ratas calientes
Registered

FALaholic #: 1841
My basic RIA 1911 has been 100% reliable. You will enjoy yours!
Old January 23, 2020, 14:39   #15
LAFAL
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 85
I have a RIA fullsize 1911 and a compact. I installed XS-sites big dot/post on it, Crimson trace carbon fiber grips and my gunsmith did a minor trigger job and polished the feedramp and chamber. It's my EDC pistol. My wife has a Kimber Crimson Carry II and calls mine her Kimber wannabe. That's OK- I spent half on mine........
Love my full sized 1911. Changed out the grips for checkered wood diamond pattern like WWII grips. We bought a Dillon SDB just to keep them fed.
Old January 25, 2020, 22:31   #16
davedude
Registered

FALaholic #: 20538
My buddies with high dollar 1911 sh*t freak out over my $320 Sarco special RIA government model. They can't believe how good it is. Super accurate, sweet trigger, never fails to FFF anything. Hands down best pistol I have just too big for my kind of covert carry.
Old January 29, 2020, 12:20   #17
Heisser Mann
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedude View Post
My buddies with high dollar 1911 sh*t freak out over my $320 Sarco special RIA government model. They can't believe how good it is. Super accurate, sweet trigger, never fails to FFF anything. Hands down best pistol I have just too big for my kind of covert carry.
All I ever hear are good things about RIA--so much that I am now looking at getting a commander size one as well. FYI--Took mine to the range over the past weekend, new magpul grips is all I've added or changed.
Ran close to another 200 rds through it..all handloads, mostly mild loading (230g lead RN 5.5 grains WIN 231/HP-38). Some 230 G TMJ. Also 200g hardcast--that was my favorite. They all functioned as required. Accurate--hitting a steel gong at 100 yds. Sweet trigger. I am very pleased with this pistol.
One thing that did bother me though..the new mags, the metalform are 8 rds each, but about 1/8th inch shorter that the factory mag--and they failed to lock the slide open. Any ideas? New mags may be in order.
Old February 01, 2020, 13:34   #18
ICOM7800
Registered

FALaholic #: 65978
Friend of mines Taurus 1911s mim ejector snapped off flush with the frame.
ICOM7800 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 01, 2020, 14:02   #19
Steve in Allentown, PA
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 30456
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICOM7800 View Post
Friend of mines Taurus 1911s mim ejector snapped off flush with the frame.
I know, I know. Lots of people love their Taurus pistols. Nevertheless, Taurus doesn't have the best reputation in the business.
Steve in Allentown, PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2020, 10:36   #20
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFAL View Post
I have a RIA fullsize 1911 and a compact. (Trim) My wife has a Kimber Crimson Carry II and calls mine her Kimber wannabe. That's OK- I spent half on mine........
Love my full sized 1911. Changed out the grips for checkered wood diamond pattern like WWII grips. We bought a Dillon SDB just to keep them fed.
I have learned most Kimberly 1911s are not reliable till about 500 rounds down the pipe. They build one of the tightest 1911s commonly available. Have seen hundreds of folks complain about issues out of the box and even bought some at a deal because of it and they would complain about some ammo with failures to feed or extract but somewhere around 300 to 500 rounds all smooth out and shoot fine and stay tight with little slop for many rounds. When I sell one I always tell buyer not to carry it till have a minimum of 100 rounds down the pipe without an issue.

Some if buy, load with some odd exotic defense ammo then lay on night stand or holster up will bind up on second round. Many have come in afterwards and thanked me for advice as took to range and it gave issues first fifty rounds or so, first time they tried their defensive ammo instead of ball, etc but if they kept shooting it would smooth up and go to 100% reliable. Have had a few of them come out of box so tight had to lap the rails just to cycle the slide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Allentown, PA View Post
I know, I know. Lots of people love their Taurus pistols. Nevertheless, Taurus doesn't have the best reputation in the business.
You have to know your Rossi firearms. Some are better than Smiths and some are junk, depends on model and year of make. I have three will never part with as well as a couple of Taurus wheel guns. I am normally a handgun snob and carried only Colt 1911s and wheel guns for years except for a Smith M19. Now I have a dozen different brands of 1911s but all tend to be higher end. I just can't help it.
Old February 06, 2020, 11:49   #21
Steve in Allentown, PA
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
I have learned most Kimberly 1911s are not reliable till about 500 rounds down the pipe.
Kimbers are very good looking 1911s and are available in a wide range of models and variations. As you point out, they often require lots of rounds to iron out the ill fitting internal parts. Notably, most of the problem comes from poorly fitted barrels which impact the slide stop pin instead of smoothly sliding along the surface of the pin. Pull out the barrel of almost any Kimber that has had a few rounds down the pipe and you'll see evidence of the this impact - commonly known as barrel bump. Once the slide stop pin has beaten the lower lugs enough to reshape them, the pistol begins to function correctly. Helluv a way to built a 1911.

Here are some pictures showing the effect of the lower lugs impacting the slide stop cross pin.

Old February 27, 2020, 07:50   #22
sgt.stinky
Registered

FALaholic #: 12873
Quote:
Kimbers are very good looking 1911s and are available in a wide range of models and variations. As you point out, they often require lots of rounds to iron out the ill fitting internal parts. Notably, most of the problem comes from poorly fitted barrels which impact the slide stop pin instead of smoothly sliding along the surface of the pin. Pull out the barrel of almost any Kimber that has had a few rounds down the pipe and you'll see evidence of the this impact - commonly known as barrel bump. Once the slide stop pin has beaten the lower lugs enough to reshape them, the pistol begins to function correctly. Helluv a way to built a 1911.

Here are some pictures showing the effect of the lower lugs impacting the slide stop cross pin.

I just purchased my first Kimber and out of the box it didn't group well, I have never heard of barrel bump, I am going to have to take a look at my lugs, thanks for the info !!
Old February 27, 2020, 08:37   #23
Steve in Allentown, PA
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt.stinky View Post
I just purchased my first Kimber and out of the box it didn't group well, I have never heard of barrel bump, I am going to have to take a look at my lugs, thanks for the info !!
Glad to be of service.

Barrel bumping is usually uneven across the lugs which can result in poor accuracy. As you can see in the pictures, there is no contact with the slide stop cross pin across the flats of the lugs (except for the far outside edge of one). Very bad for accuracy. If the barrel bump is bad enough, it will result in failures-to-feed and/or failures-to-return-to-battery.

The fix for barrel bumping is to carefully file away and smooth the early contact points on the lugs so that the slide stop cross pin doesn't come into contact with them until the barrel has moved high enough and forward enough that the cross pin makes light contact just ahead of the flats followed by solid, even contact across the flats.
Old February 28, 2020, 05:20   #24
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Kimbers are very good looking 1911s and are available in a wide range of models and variations, which is not the case of that 3rd world product, Taurus. As you point out, different from Kimbers, the POS Taurus often require lots of rounds to iron out the ill fitting internal parts, which is a byword for Taurus. Notably, most of the problem comes from poorly fitted barrels by those Mexican speaking disease-infested half-human illiterates using rocks instead of tools to make what can be best described as abstract representations of firearms at Taurus, which impact the slide stop pin instead of smoothly sliding along the surface of the pin. Pull out the barrel of almost any shitty Taurus that has had a few rounds down the pipe and you'll see evidence of the this impact - commonly known as barrel bump. Once the slide stop pin has beaten the lower lugs enough to reshape them, the pistol begins to function correctly. Helluv a way to built a gun, but then again Taurus are only good as boat anchors and to throw at an assailant before running away.
Corrected before the Kimber and 1911 Gods, and His Holiness JMB himself smite you down for such heresy. Just another public service I provide.
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2020, 07:58   #25
Steve in Allentown, PA
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
Corrected before the Kimber and 1911 Gods, and His Holiness JMB himself smite you down for such heresy. Just another public service I provide.
I'm still laughing. That was so good I read it to my wife who, much to my surprise, laughed herself silly.