The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files

Notices

Old September 04, 2019, 15:58   #1
crashmaniac
Semper Gumby
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 78557
1960 BSA L1A1 Build thread UPDATE:Range Report

Hello Inch Rifle Experts,

I have a nice BSA parts kit that I am,or will be, building from, lots of parts are Enfield, but lower is BSA.My bolt carrier is NOS, Muzzle break is NOS, and close in year to my gas block and barrel as well. This is another fantastic kit from fallujahgrunt like my RNZAF Aussie. Speacial thanks to STGguy for your help as well.

If anyone remembers the Aussie I did last year you saw that I used electro etch stencils to mark a Faux matching Serial Number on my receiver and to do the left side roll mark.

I plan on doing the same for the NOS bolt carrier for this rifle but pics online of BSA rifles where you can see markings arent great. I have found a few.It looks like the carriers are marked with the serial number minus the two digit year upside down on the right side. Is this correct ? I only have one chance to do it right somI want more then my eyes on it.

Also can anyone verify that the roll mark in these pictures for the left side of the upper receiver are correct. If so, they are interesting. Almost like Aussie except L1A1 is has lower case “l” and periods in bettween each character and has the Serial number after. This differs from the Enfield's markings as the millimeter abbreviation is mm vice the m/m of the

Edit :well sorry for low quality pics I cannot get them any better then they are for some reason when i imbed them the rollmark says “Rifle 7.62 mm L.1.A.1. UB60 Axxxxx”

Just looking to verify that the pics below are correct for a 1960 BSA,

edit:sorry bolt carrier says ,upside down, “UB AXXXXX” no “60” included

For those interested heres my BSA L1A1 kit, well like I said a lot of it is Enfield, I will post pics as build progresses

"And what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. ".
--Good OL' TJ

Last edited by crashmaniac; October 09, 2019 at 15:41.
crashmaniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 04, 2019, 20:09   #2
The Chief
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 76457
FWIW, here is an original (LEO import) receiver with UB61 markings:

(apologies for the insufficient lighting)

COBC #66
Farkën Snêekee Bastïtch
(formerly 'Capt D')
The Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 04, 2019, 22:41   #3
crashmaniac
Semper Gumby
Gold Contributor

Fantastic SIR, thank you the picture that verifies the rollmark I found, the pic above is from milsurp rifle website and is of a deac rifle that was rebuilt here in US. Going to be sending ARS a CAI Imbel upper to get all the proper cuts and engraving, and I wanted to know what I was going to ask for.

I went ahead and etched my bolt carrier. All the ones I can find pics of have the year digits omitted on bolt and carrier. So thats what I did , I suppose they didnt do that to save time who knows. May have wanted only the draw numbers year on those parts too.

I tried to make it realistic as many I see are not lined up absolutely perfect. I can just see the armourers going blind marking these bolts.

The “A” looks perfect not sure why it looks boogered. Bear in mind this will need a little cleaning lubing, etc

"And what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. ".
--Good OL' TJ

Last edited by crashmaniac; September 05, 2019 at 07:20.
Old September 06, 2019, 18:34   #4
STGguy
Registered

FALaholic #: 81733
Ha..... Found All Ya'lls !!! ;)

Ha..... Found All Ya'lls !!! There IS an Inch Forum....
STGguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 08, 2019, 09:32   #5
crashmaniac
Semper Gumby
Gold Contributor

Hello again all,

I decided to go a different route with the receiver. While on video chat with Fallujahgrunt , as he disassembled a parts kit rifle , I offered to purchase the Enterprise ABNI upper it was built on and he agreed. Becore shipping to my FFL he replaced the screwed up ejector block pins and re-parkerized it of course.

I know the lightening cuts are wrong but all will agree its a very nice upper. Once I received the upper , I painted and baked on the finish to match the paint on my parts kit. The paint on the kit is in such good shape it needed no repaint.

Once refinishing was done, I went ahead and finished assembly. One picture will be missing locking shoulder as I was tired and head spaced rifle the following day.

Here is a pic of rifle the upper came from. that is not my parts kit. Also close ups of the jacked up ejector block pins.

Here’s pics of the upper receiver after the pins were replaced and ground flush and upper re-parkerized. Work done by Fallujahgrunt.

https://i.imgur.com/RE3D96r_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium[/img]

These are pics of finish I painted over park to match the kit. Used a marine grade epoxy .The finish is baked on. I use various lengths of time at 450° F and spray on a hot coat to make the finish glossy or flatter textured depending on what I want. Matched the kit perfectly.

And now finished rifle assembly

I replaced tritium lamp in the SUIT myself as well.

Test firing and zeroing will be on Wednesday. I will post range report after that. Big thanks again goes out to Fallujahgrunt for the excellent work on the upper.
--Good OL' TJ
Old October 08, 2019, 18:06   #6
Syntax Error
Registered

FALaholic #: 73817
Looks very nice. Is your barrel five groove?

Looks similar to my recent build on a UB 59 Brit Kit with a UB 60 bolt, but I managed to find a DSA Brit-cut Inch pattern receiver for it.
Syntax Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 08, 2019, 19:02   #7
crashmaniac
Semper Gumby
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntax Error View Post
Looks very nice. Is your barrel five groove?

Looks similar to my recent build on a UB 59 Brit Kit with a UB 60 bolt, but I managed to find a DSA Brit-cut Inch pattern receiver for it.
Thank you, yours looks great as well.
The barrel has 4 grooves. EDIT: here is pics with more barrel info

Gasblock

More barrel markings

If anyone wants to explain and or interpret the markings by all means.

I tossed around having GP cut a century imbel upper to the correct specs but the Enterprise was available, didnt want to look for a brit cut DSA and have to run the risk of sending it to GP anyway because something else was wrong. I have spent hours fixing out of spec uppers and didnt want to mess with it. This kit went together like a dream, didnt have to replace any worn out parts, nor spend hours stripping and repainting anything. Just had to paint the body and put it together. Even the LS hole was perfect and LS fit great.
--Good OL' TJ

Last edited by crashmaniac; October 08, 2019 at 19:44.
Old October 08, 2019, 22:40   #8
Syntax Error
Registered

My understanding about the barrel code is that "C F" marked barrels are cold hammer forged and generally seem to have later dates (nearer to the late 70s/early 80s), so that's a nice one to have.
Old October 08, 2019, 22:42   #9
Syntax Error
Registered

And of course the D/E letter mark is an Enfield mark.
Old October 09, 2019, 11:23   #10
crashmaniac
Semper Gumby
Gold Contributor

Yeah the barrel is nice, I like that barrel gasblock and brake are close in years.Well time for my range report

Zero’d rifle at 100yds with Malaysian L2a2 ball, low six o'clock hold, First group was to the right of center so I just shot 3-4 round groups and adjusted siights until I got center POI. EDIT: and NO LMAO this is not offhand like the pic below! oh no no no , thats benched.

And here is my fat ass shooting offhand, In my Aussie webgear
--Good OL' TJ

Last edited by crashmaniac; October 09, 2019 at 22:53.
Old Today, 11:45   #11
STGguy
Registered

FALaholic #: 81733
+1

It came out great Tommy! Congratulations on the "new addition"! You are all set for the Falklands Man! Love the Aussie too!

Fallujahgrunt does Excellent Work and his pricing is spot on.
STGguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:51   #12
crashmaniac
Semper Gumby
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by STGguy View Post
It came out great Tommy! Congratulations on the "new addition"! You are all set for the Falklands Man! Love the Aussie too!

Fallujahgrunt does Excellent Work and his pricing is spot on.
Thanks man, Next is a C1A1, the quest begins anew, Ive already started on the lower and parts in that assembly, Need to find a C1 rear sight base.
--Good OL' TJ