The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Ammunition

Notices

Old February 18, 2020, 12:06   #1
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
How can ya tell? Visual clues to boxer vs berdan?

So I've been buying up some 7.62 from auctions lately, and in a lot of the cases research shows that a particular ammo can be either/or when it came to production. What, if any, visual clues are there to determine one from the other? I'm willing to pay a tic more for boxer stuff since I reload, to others it probably only matters if it's corrosive or not. If there is a hard and fast rule beyond "X" always used berdan but "Y" always used boxer" I've never heard. Just curious if there are strong clues to what something might have been primed with, so that I can apply my own value to what I happen to be looking at potentially bidding on.

TIA...
jhend170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2020, 12:57   #2
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
Hard to tell without shining a light in the case. Most berdan primed brass have a crimped primer, but that can be misleading.

Headstamps can tell you a lot, all the Port ammo (FNM, BF) is berdan primed. So is all the SA ammo, Aussie AD and British RG. LC will always be boxer primed.
hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2020, 13:35   #3
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar View Post
Hard to tell without shining a light in the case. Most berdan primed brass have a crimped primer, but that can be misleading.

Headstamps can tell you a lot, all the Port ammo (FNM, BF) is berdan primed. So is all the SA ammo, Aussie AD and British RG. LC will always be boxer primed.

Not so.

Some RG headstamped ammo is Boxer Primed.

Old February 18, 2020, 14:32   #4
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Berdan and Boxer primers (rifle) are different in diameter. Most rifle ammunition with Berdan primers has primers ranging from 0.217 to 0.254" diameter.

For example, most .303 Brit runs around 0.250-254" and most 7.62x39mm runs around 0.250". This size difference (from 0.210") is usually big enough to tell just by looking at the primer, especially if you have a Boxer primed case at hand for the comparison.

I should also mention that there have been Berdan primers made with even different diameters, but they're not as common...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2020, 15:40   #5
wanneroo
Registered

FALaholic #: 74891
Shine a light in the case?

Berdan primers are slightly bigger as mentioned above.
wanneroo is offline   Reply With Quote