Has anyone built one?
Thoughts?
It looks like a good winter project.
Old November 14, 2019, 19:30   #2
imacoonass01
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 80275
I believe no1toylover, may be building one now.
Old November 14, 2019, 22:13   #3
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
Thoughts:

I haven't built one because I can buy a factory Glock cheaper.

I can see a utility in a state that has outlawed pvt sales.
Old November 14, 2019, 22:27   #4
WESOMATIC
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 75796
There are some good deals out there, but they're not factory glock parts.
The question is cost to fun ratio. If they're total junk I'm not interested, if anyone has had good/bad luck I'd like to hear about it.
Old November 14, 2019, 23:43   #5
NFADLR
Registered

FALaholic #: 7480
Wink

Not legal in California.

Federal and elsewhere maybe

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1312380
NFADLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2019, 05:42   #6
WESOMATIC
Registered
Contributor

Yet another reason I'm glad I don't live in California.
Old November 15, 2019, 11:14   #7
xerzes
Registered

FALaholic #: 81930
For ease of operation and function, buy an OEM Glock 17 slide (complete if possible), Gen 3 lower parts kit and as others have said, check out the threads and other vids on YouTube in order to mill/drill/sand the most efficient way possible.
xerzes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2019, 11:24   #8
WESOMATIC
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerzes View Post
For ease of operation and function, buy an OEM Glock 17 slide (complete if possible), Gen 3 lower parts kit and as others have said, check out the threads and other vids on YouTube in order to mill/drill/sand the most efficient way possible.

Have you built one?
If so, did you have any problems?
Old November 15, 2019, 12:08   #9
LKY_13
Sig Sauer Me
Contributor

FALaholic #: 41000
Seems like a waste of cash, time, and resources. Unless maybe doing it as a 'for fun' keep your mind busy/distracted from other vices kinda project... and even then... can't bet your life on it. What's the point? Cash is better spent on quality investments/tools that will improve your standing.

That said; I get the pull to test the waters/have a fun 'see what I built' project. I purchased a hybrid 26L poly 80 frame that would allow me to use a 19 slide. Seemed perfect. Even the ergonomics felt great, but... after much mental flossing-- I realized that I could never trust it in the way that I can trust a factory glock frame. I don't want to be second guessing anything that I carry. So, sold it off before I even started.

A range toy? Maybe, but I don't have that kinda cash to throw around. I'd rather just have more ammo, or another factory frame to build up. Which, with the popularity of the polymer 80 builds, are plentiful/inexpensive. To me it's a tool. Important to keep that perspective. Zero point to a gucci-ed out hammer.
LKY_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2019, 12:49   #10
WESOMATIC
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKY_13 View Post
Seems like a waste of cash, time, and resources. Unless maybe doing it as a 'for fun' keep your mind busy/distracted from other vices kinda project... and even then... can't bet your life on it. What's the point? Cash is better spent on quality investments/tools that will improve your standing.

That said; I get the pull to test the waters/have a fun 'see what I built' project. I purchased a hybrid 26L poly 80 frame that would allow me to use a 19 slide. Seemed perfect. Even the ergonomics felt great, but... after much mental flossing-- I realized that I could never trust it in the way that I can trust a factory glock frame. I don't want to be second guessing anything that I carry. So, sold it off before I even started.

A range toy? Maybe, but I don't have that kinda cash to throw around. I'd rather just have more ammo, or another factory frame to build up. Which, with the popularity of the polymer 80 builds, are plentiful/inexpensive. To me it's a tool. Important to keep that perspective. Zero point to a gucci-ed out hammer.
All very good points, thank you.

It would definitely be one of those just for fun things. That said, a piece of crap isn't fun.
Old November 15, 2019, 13:33   #11
M90A1
Gettin' there!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 3409
Had a friend who built a G19 copy using one. Works perfectly. In fact, he uses it in 3-Gun with no problems.
M90A1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2019, 14:22   #12
WESOMATIC
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by M90A1 View Post
Had a friend who built a G19 copy using one. Works perfectly. In fact, he uses it in 3-Gun with no problems.
Do you know if the components are glock or aftermarket?
Old November 15, 2019, 17:09   #13
M90A1
Gettin' there!
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESOMATIC View Post
Do you know if the components are glock or aftermarket?
The frame internals are supplied with the frame, so I don't know their provenance. The entire slide was factory Glock.
Old November 15, 2019, 17:26   #14
SPEEDGUNNER
Firearms Connoisseur
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 43933
My suggestion would be to buy one of the G17 or G19 frames offered here at great prices by 308shooter then, try to find a slide assembly out in the wild to complete your pistol. Oftentimes you can buy a complete pistol for what guys want for a slide. That might cure you of your desire to build an 80, I know it did me.

Good luck.
And they roam the world at will."
- Robert Service
SPEEDGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2019, 17:29   #15
M90A1
Gettin' there!
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDGUNNER View Post
My suggestion would be to buy one of the G17 or G19 frames offered here at great prices by 308shooter then, try to find a slide assembly out in the wild to complete your pistol. Oftentimes you can buy a complete pistol for what guys want for a slide. That might cure you of your desire to build an 80, I know it did me.

Good luck.
Some people, for various reasons, don't want a numbered frame.
Old November 15, 2019, 19:00   #16
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Quote:
hybrid 26L poly 80 frame that would allow me to use a 19 slide.
Somebody here posted about cutting down the grip of a police trade-in G22 (as I recall) to take G23 mags (I think). I suppose a fellow could similarity chop a G19/23 to G26/27 size and achieve what you seek. Don’t know how it would feel though. As cheap as trade-in G22 pistols are a fellow could make a G27LL (double L). I know I really like my G19 &23 for both OWB and IWB carry and don’t feel the G26 I have now or the G27 I sold offered enough in the way of “smallness” to justify the smaller grip. I just can’t get a good “grab” on the G26/27 pistol out of the holster and always feel like I am juggling or adjusting it in my hand. Sorry for the thread drift, don’t know nuttin about the Poly80.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2019, 19:06   #17
WESOMATIC
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Somebody here posted about cutting down the grip of a police trade-in G22 (as I recall) to take G23 mags (I think). I suppose a fellow could similarity chop a G19/23 to G26/27 size and achieve what you seek. Don’t know how it would feel though. As cheap as trade-in G22 pistols are a fellow could make a G27LL (double L). I know I really like my G19 &23 for both OWB and IWB carry and don’t feel the G26 I have now or the G27 I sold offered enough in the way of “smallness” to justify the smaller grip. I just can’t get a good “grab” on the G26/27 pistol out of the holster and always feel like I am juggling or adjusting it in my hand. Sorry for the thread drift, don’t know nuttin about the Poly80.
Thread drift keeps it interesting.
Old November 15, 2019, 20:48   #18
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDGUNNER View Post

Good luck.
I actually picked up a stripped G26 frame from a guy with a BAGFUL of frames.

He buys glocks, strips them down and sells the parts for more than the gun to people for these kits. (I seriously don't get that. I've built many guns, AK, AR, FAL, etc.... But it was CHEAPER!)

I bought the frame for a dedicated frame for my AA .22 Conversion
Old November 16, 2019, 04:08   #19
PARA FN FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 17487
The Glock 80s are a little challenging to build. It took a bit of trial and error to get them to run right but now a year later and a couple of thousand rounds without a jam I am happy and confident with them.

It would be cheaper to just buy police trade in Glocks and then upgrade them as you like. However if you enjoy building stuff like I do then just buy the parts when you catch a good deal. Ebay has a lot of parts for these on sale and Midway and Brownells have sales frequently.

If you do go the 80 percent build route the main problems that I had to work on were making sure the front and rear rails were even with each other and smooth, taking enough plastic out of the return spring channel not to create drag on the spring, smoothing out the slide channels that the rails travel in and that about all that I can think of right now. I am very happy with them now and would build another if I found the right price on parts.
PARA FN FAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2019, 06:44   #20
WESOMATIC
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARA FN FAL View Post
The Glock 80s are a little challenging to build. It took a bit of trial and error to get them to run right but now a year later and a couple of thousand rounds without a jam I am happy and confident with them.

It would be cheaper to just buy police trade in Glocks and then upgrade them as you like. However if you enjoy building stuff like I do then just buy the parts when you catch a good deal. Ebay has a lot of parts for these on sale and Midway and Brownells have sales frequently.

If you do go the 80 percent build route the main problems that I had to work on were making sure the front and rear rails were even with each other and smooth, taking enough plastic out of the return spring channel not to create drag on the spring, smoothing out the slide channels that the rails travel in and that about all that I can think of right now. I am very happy with them now and would build another if I found the right price on parts.

Did you use a mill?
Challenging to me is different from fundamentally flawed. With what you say in mind, it sounds like material is best removed on a mill. I'm okay with that.

I'm glad to hear you've had success with it. It's good they're not akin to the massively out of spec fal receiver's that "brand x" makes.
Old November 17, 2019, 10:43   #21
PARA FN FAL
Registered

I use a hand drill. the polishing is with a Dremil or sandpaper but a hand drill is what is commonly used for the receiver work.
Old November 19, 2019, 10:59   #22
blueyedfaler
Registered

FALaholic #: 3609
I could do one with a box cutter and a cheap drill from walmart. a dremal is the best to use. I do like the ergonomics much better. All that said if money is the issue buy the trade in and do not look back! I enjoy the the fiddle putzen and learn a thing or two doing such projects.
blueyedfaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2019, 17:18   #23
LKY_13
Sig Sauer Me
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyedfaler View Post
...and learn a thing or two doing such projects.
As do most (if not all) of us here. However, the real question is;
is the end result really, truly worth your hard-fought cash and limited time?

Rhetorical questions. Just tossing it out there.
Difficult to improve on [glock] perfection, tho.
Old November 20, 2019, 16:26   #24
LKY_13
Sig Sauer Me
Contributor

Quote:
Been seriously debating this mod for over a year now with my 17. Turning it into a 19L. However, I would want to re-contour the grip after the cut, to be more like that of the 19. I actually like the grip angle on the 17 and 19x, but the 17's I've seen cut to 19 length look like ####. Grip angle cut just looks funky. Not sure I'd like the fit at that point, either. I think I can use a heat gun to achieve this grip modification. Pushing outward from inside the backstrap, but... haven't mustered up the stones to attempt it yet. It has to turn out perfect. Or I'll end up tossing it.
Old November 21, 2019, 15:26   #25
PARA FN FAL
Registered

It may not mean much to this conversation but I really like the grip on the 80 percent Glock 19 frame over the factory G19 grip. The 80 percent has a better texter on the grip and with the trigger guard allowing my hand to sit a little higher and not having my pinky hanging off like the original G19 does.
Old November 24, 2019, 07:36   #26
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
Quote:
Not sure if it was my post but I did that very thing. Have a G23, wasnt interested in stocking two types of mags. I also then did some work to the G23 grip. Theyre just things, no emotional hangup over originality or resale. I'd post photos but... image hosting.
ByronF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2019, 21:52   #27
Gazz
Registered

FALaholic #: 15159
Had a friend who is mechanically challenged build one with just a Dremel tool and used higher end aftermarket parts to complete it. It ran perfectly from the get go and he also uses it in three gun matches. After hearing that and seeing it, I would consider building one and I am not a Glock fan.
Old November 30, 2019, 12:55   #28
LKY_13
Sig Sauer Me
Contributor

This guy is changing my mind about P80 builds... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcj...kMNzKww/videos
Old December 03, 2019, 00:16   #29
the gman
Registered

FALaholic #: 5179
I bought a P80 frame (earlier, more blocky model) a couple years ago from Brownells on sale, think I paid $80 IIRC. Never did a damn thing with it because while I like the grip angle compared to standard Glocks, it was too squared off so sold it a few months ago to a buddy who was tired of building AR's and wanted a challenge.

I've bought a couple frames from 308shooter and put this one together for my wife for Christmas. Frame was I think $80, slide was less than $150 from TR Enabling, barrel from Bear Creek around $45, rest of the parts were around $75. I'm in it for $325 or so. As an FFL, I could buy a new 19 for around $450 so I'm saving $125. Plus, I got to put it together which was fun and, in the butchered words of Johnny Cash, "I built it one piece at a time..."

Next up is a G22 frame I got for cheap...

God is on the side, not of the big battalions, but of the best shots- Voltaire

“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
-Alexis de Tocqueville
the gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 03, 2019, 13:13   #30
AFeod
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 75606
I’ve been really thinking about building one up in .45 acp. Never owned a glock, but finding out that I enjoy building just as much, if not more than shooting.

Keep the comments and personal experiences coming...
Old December 05, 2019, 20:54   #31
Hammer1
Registered

FALaholic #: 22980
I've built a 19L and a 17. Really was pretty easy. On the rails I just used a box cutter and just scored the rails several times until I could snap them off. Grinding them off would be a mess and pia. Dremel works good on the channel.
Old December 08, 2019, 11:11   #32
WESOMATIC
Registered
Contributor

You guys are talking me into it
Old December 08, 2019, 11:24   #33
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Quote:
This guy is changing my mind about P80 builds... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcj...kMNzKww/videos
I couldn't watch the guy, he seems to be like most you tube producers as they just love to hear themselves talk. Got 2 minutes into his video and he just bumble along, I don't have minutes to waste like that

These guys have a lot of 80%glock stuff.

https://www.glockstore.com/parts-accessories/polymer80

Last edited by Bawana jim; December 08, 2019 at 11:31.
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 08, 2019, 11:43   #34
Bawana jim
Registered

Here is an interesting build with videos that show how to.

https://www.glockstore.com/SS80-M-Model
Old December 08, 2019, 19:24   #35
Zeusizme
Registered

FALaholic #: 64239
Poly 80’s require a drill, maybe a dremel and an IQ of around 81 to finish. It seems parts prices are coming down but the market is flooded with substandard no name parts so buyer beware.
With all of the FFL shops stripping new Gen3 glocks for parts kits you can pick up a factory frame cheap if you look. I snagged a G26 frame for $20 about 7 months ago.

If you have access to a mill you can finish a frame in no time. Build hint, use a ball endmill for the channel.
Old December 09, 2019, 16:28   #36
LKY_13
Sig Sauer Me
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
he seems to be like most you tube producers as they just love to hear themselves talk.
Yeah, I have to skip his intros, but then... I skip everyone's intros.
Old December 09, 2019, 17:59   #37
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Yeah, I have to skip his intros, but then... I skip everyone's intros.
Me too, the intros are pretty much a waste of time. Heck I won't watch a video if they make me sit through a 14 second Comercial before it starts.