Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old October 23, 2019, 20:27   #1
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
I feel I need another headspacing pin

So, months after putting the 17" barrel I got from gunplumber to the receiver for my tribute band Rhodie thingie, I finally sat down to headspace it:

Largest pin I can close on GO: .259
NO GO: open on .256, closed easily on .253

Do I need a .254 or .255 to verify it closes on it? Or should I just say I need a .258 and be done?
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2019, 21:48   #2
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
I'd go .257 and call it perfect.
Because of the geometry of the actual LS vs the pin gauge (some shit that I don't understand but is my experience) often times a LS of the same size of the pin gauge won't let the bolt close on the gauge. I've found if I go .002 smaller on the LS than the pin everything is perfect. You could actually probably go up to .005 smaller than the biggest pin it'll close on and still be FIELD safe in an FAL. But I run mine tight. I've went .001 under the pin and still found the bolt won't close on the gauge but .002 is always perfect and never a close on a NO GO.

ETA: Don't go swapping LSs just to see if they fit. You're wallowing out the hole and FUBARing the receiver.

Last edited by hkshooter; October 23, 2019 at 21:56.
hkshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2019, 12:45   #3
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
I'd go .257 and call it perfect.
Because of the geometry of the actual LS vs the pin gauge (some shit that I don't understand but is my experience) often times a LS of the same size of the pin gauge won't let the bolt close on the gauge. I've found if I go .002 smaller on the LS than the pin everything is perfect. You could actually probably go up to .005 smaller than the biggest pin it'll close on and still be FIELD safe in an FAL. But I run mine tight. I've went .001 under the pin and still found the bolt won't close on the gauge but .002 is always perfect and never a close on a NO GO.
That sounds fair. I will reach out to gunplumber as he has shoulders on that size.

Quote:
ETA: Don't go swapping LSs just to see if they fit. You're wallowing out the hole and FUBARing the receiver.
Can I at least rotate the should just so it no longer properly aligned and then pound it directly with a hammer to force it in?
Old October 24, 2019, 12:57   #4
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
Can I at least rotate the should just so it no longer properly aligned and then pound it directly with a hammer to force it in?
NO !!

Align it properly, then get out your Slingblade (some folks call it a Kaiser blade) and give it two good whacks
Old October 24, 2019, 16:38   #5
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

What if it likes it and wants more whacks?
Old October 25, 2019, 16:32   #6
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Quote:
What if it likes it and wants more whacks?
Send it to me for some very intense intervention

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 02, 2019, 05:49   #7
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

So I got the .257 yesterday and put it in the rifle. And then decided to try the NOGO gauge again. With one finger and light touch it does not close but if I increase the pressure just a bit (I do not have exact numbers but about the same that takes for me to pull the trigger in the FAL), I can close it. Time for .258?
Old November 02, 2019, 07:15   #8
yovinny
Uneducated NYC Boy
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Quote:
Largest pin I can close on GO: .259
Then I'd use .259

Now you've learded something though,,,,
yovinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 02, 2019, 08:20   #9
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Quote:
So I got the .257 yesterday and put it in the rifle. And then decided to try the NOGO gauge again. With one finger and light touch it does not close but if I increase the pressure just a bit (I do not have exact numbers but about the same that takes for me to pull the trigger in the FAL), I can close it. Time for .258?
It's kind of odd that this would happen when you said in your first post there's no close on a .256 pin but it will close on a .257 LS. Was your chamber and gauge perfectly clean when you got started?
I'd be tempted to try a .259 LS like yovinny said and try the Go gauge again. I still feel like something is amiss here as your observations do not seem typical to me, in my own experience.

BTW, if you don't want the .257 and feel my advice is in error, I'll buy the LS from you. Don't want you to be stuck with a part you didn't need based on my advice.
Old November 02, 2019, 09:34   #10
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
BTW, if you don't want the .257 and feel my advice is in error, I'll buy the LS from you. Don't want you to be stuck with a part you didn't need based on my advice.

....and this is the kind of man that makes this place great

Old November 02, 2019, 09:42   #11
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
If you're using a .234 no go gauge then I wouldn't worry about it. You're in the zone for 7.62 nato

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 02, 2019, 10:09   #12
Hebrew Battle Rifle
Horses Ass
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 5777
Quote:
The head space is fine as is. Now go tackle another problem.
Old November 02, 2019, 16:08   #13
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Quote:
Closing on a NOGO gauge is okay. Lets you shoot a bunch of different ammo types.

Closing on a Field gauge is a straight no-go. Time for new LS.

When I build, I go smaller than you are @ .257. If you close a GO gauge on a .259, I'd build with a .259 - but I'm picky about what ammo goes down the hatch. Maybe I'll regret this later when crappy barely-spec ammo is all i've got available. For now, it's been golden.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 02, 2019, 16:09   #14
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Quote:
It's kind of odd that this would happen when you said in your first post there's no close on a .256 pin but it will close on a .257 LS.
^

This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote