Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old November 02, 2019, 11:52   #1
C2A1
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 15514
Food supply

Interesting article. When put in place with EMP/Pandemics or other critical disruptions. We can go hungry quickly.
https://www.fastcompany.com/90422553...=pocket-newtab
C2A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 02, 2019, 12:40   #2
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2A1 View Post
Interesting article. When put in place with EMP/Pandemics or other critical disruptions. We can go hungry quickly.
https://www.fastcompany.com/90422553...=pocket-newtab
Yup...

And, of course, if you take the precaution (and you should) of preparing for such eventualities, the .gov boys will come and take your food to feed the parasites...

It's only fair, you know...

Just sayin'...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 02, 2019, 12:48   #3
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
I see Phoenix made the list.

Having 18 months of chow and water for a yr,,,,stored,,,makes sense out this way.

Not going to be many truck gardens/victory gardens planted in these parts.

Enough fuel stocked up,,at all times,,to haul your ass out of here not a bad idea either.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 02, 2019, 14:00   #4
okiefarmer
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 3248
Old November 02, 2019, 16:00   #5
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftierson View Post
Yup...

And, of course, if you take the precaution (and you should) of preparing for such eventualities, the .gov boys will come and take your food to feed the parasites...

It's only fair, you know...

Just sayin'...

Forrest
My mother used to work in Emergency Management in our County. Volunteer who helped create some "resilient community" stuff, and ended up testifying in front of Congress / sub-committee on Preparedness, blah-blah-blah.

She heard with her own ears - because she was attending the meeting - wherein our Sheriff (now long gone...) said that he would go to "Mormons'" houses and take their food at gunpoint if necessary.

My mom asked him, in the same meeting, if he had enough deputies to take those Mormons' guns first - pointing out that his department was about 30 guys, and that there were about 2,000 Mormons in town - many or most of whom were armed.

She said the look on his face was worth the entry fee, and some committee members wanted to go on record stating that it might not be the best idea.

See quote below...
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 02, 2019, 17:33   #6
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
My mother used to work in Emergency Management in our County. Volunteer who helped create some "resilient community" stuff, and ended up testifying in front of Congress / sub-committee on Preparedness, blah-blah-blah.

She heard with her own ears - because she was attending the meeting - wherein our Sheriff (now long gone...) said that he would go to "Mormons'" houses and take their food at gunpoint if necessary.

My mom asked him, in the same meeting, if he had enough deputies to take those Mormons' guns first - pointing out that his department was about 30 guys, and that there were about 2,000 Mormons in town - many or most of whom were armed.

She said the look on his face was worth the entry fee, and some committee members wanted to go on record stating that it might not be the best idea.

See quote below...

Half a dozen folks working together,,,,would be damned hard for any smaller town police force to ram rod into anything they did not care to do.

I've met a lot of police,,,,certainly not all,,or even most,,,,that have the mind set,,,,citizens do what they are told by them,,,because citizens are "afraid" of them.

Most know,,,that even if a small % of citizens decide to not follow orders/directions of police,,,there is not a darn thing they can do,,,except run for their lives.

I could actually see instances,,of,,,periods of severe unrest,,where citizens had to protect "former" law enforcement officers.

Rules of personal conduct,,normalcy,, can change in the blink of an eye,,those that survive,,are the ones that recognize this change and adapt to the new norm instantly.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 02, 2019, 19:23   #7
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
That map is pretty stupid

Okay, why are those Counties in California considered "core"

One big reason
Ports and related shipping hubs for imported food

If it's coming from the far East it's making landfall in California
so we are talking canned fruit, fish, etc

the other part is goods coming up from Mexico
that is why Maricopa County is also important as a major hub
Tomatoes, Peppers, etc

Now let's get down to the reality of it
Those same ports in California are where our food exports to the far East flow through as well

Think on it some
much real agriculture in LA or Maricopa Counties ?
nope, in fact bloody little
neither County really produce food

Okay, let's say we get major disruption, what happens ?
Well certain things go scarce
No more Banana bread or Avacado toast
canned Tuna get rare, no more smoked oysters
Canned pineapple vanishes

What does that mean for the Midwest ?
not much, we grow our own grain, corn, meat, dairy
Potatos, Carrots, Onions, Garlic, etc
Some of this is true of the South East, not so much New England

As far as police seizing food
Well you guys should look into the FEMA directives now policy created by Clinton & Dumbya
under them the Government has emergency authority to strip you of Food, fuel, you name it
Riversidesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 02, 2019, 20:04   #8
medicmike
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 3183
Makes me glad that I am a stone's throw from the bountiful Pacific....I will definitely get tired of seafood but it will keep me alive. Lots of Salmon, bottom fish, tuna, Dungeness, clams. And with an average rainfall of nearly 80"/yr fresh water is plentiful....now if we could just do something about this damn state government....

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”
― G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse
medicmike is offline   Reply With Quote