The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old November 17, 2019, 11:42   #1
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
M-LOC, KeyMod, or Just Straight Up Picatinny?

I understand that all work just fine, but what are your preferences? And, more importantly....Which way is the industry currently leaning?
Thank you in advance.
Randy
Old November 17, 2019, 11:48   #2
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
MLOK is most common rail-format these days.

You can attach picatinny bits to the MLOK as needed.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2019, 12:07   #3
K.O.A.M.
Registered

FALaholic #: 8025
Another vote for M-Lok. I was an early adopter of Keymod and things don't always stay where needed unless it's a direct mount. Picatinny is too heavy unless you're putting the whole kitchen sink on there.
Old November 17, 2019, 12:35   #4
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
+1 M-LOK
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2019, 12:37   #5
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
M Lok sure seems lighter.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2019, 12:43   #6
NFADLR
Registered

FALaholic #: 7480
PICATINNY...is my vote, I may be behind the times, it what I can
afford..

https://www.targetbarn.com/broad-side/keymod-vs-mlok/

EOS.

Last edited by NFADLR; November 17, 2019 at 15:22.
NFADLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2019, 14:59   #7
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
When I use a railed forend, it's now an M-Lok...

I've used key-mod, but the M-Lok beats it...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2019, 15:24   #8
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Of have to choose from OPs list will go with M Lok handguard that has the least number of cheese grater slots possible. Three or four on front end and picatinny rail across top or not based on build. Really like PRI where has comfortable vent holes and ability to mount a picatinny rail across entire length of top or just one or three at front end for the occasional accessory may need. Below is one of my favorites.

A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2019, 11:55   #9
lew
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
MLOK for me.

Keymod looks terrible, and MLOK is a little bit more flexible and robust.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -H.L. Mencken
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2019, 15:34   #10
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Of have to choose from OPs list will go with M Lok handguard that has the least number of cheese grater slots possible. Three or four on front end and picatinny rail across top or not based on build. Really like PRI where has comfortable vent holes and ability to mount a picatinny rail across entire length of top or just one or three at front end for the occasional accessory may need. Below is one of my favorites.

That PRI is NICE, read "more than I'm willing to drop on a FFHG." I really like their "Delta" model with the triangular body, but again, too rich for my blood. If you're building a true Mk 12 clone though it's the right way to do it.

Keymod vs M-lok quickly became the latest Beta vs VHS. The fact that M-lok seems to have won out goes to show Magpul's "pull" in the AR world. I find them equally functional and just 2 slightly different ways to skin a cat.

My guess is though that the M-lok is slightly easier to machine as the slots are a single diameter, and can therefore be churned out with less CAM tooling being necessary. Given 2 possibilities at the same end result it would make sense the cheaper method would win out.
jhend170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2019, 17:27   #11
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhend170 View Post
That PRI is NICE, read "more than I'm willing to drop on a FFHG." I really like their "Delta" model with the triangular body, but again, too rich for my blood. If you're building a true Mk 12 clone though it's the right way to do it.

Keymod vs M-lok quickly became the latest Beta vs VHS. The fact that M-lok seems to have won out goes to show Magpul's "pull" in the AR world. I find them equally functional and just 2 slightly different ways to skin a cat.

My guess is though that the M-lok is slightly easier to machine as the slots are a single diameter, and can therefore be churned out with less CAM tooling being necessary. Given 2 possibilities at the same end result it would make sense the cheaper method would win out.
Midwest Industries Gen 1s if can find on discussion group forums for sale are almost exact same as the PRI except for made out of stainless instead of carbon fiber and I buy every one I can find as usually cheap. Have one purchased from 4x401 on my favorite HBAR.

[/URL]

If anyone has any of these old outdated pieces of former "operator" equipment gone stale want to rid themselves of then just send me a PM. Its original color was some sort of bronze but a coat of O.D. Green Cerakote matched it up nicely to my parts group. Has a Leupold Mk AR 3-9x illuminated scope but with my Vortex 6.5-24x test scope rifle shoots five shot 1/2" to 5/8" groups at 100 yards using 69 grain SMKs from magazine and at 250 yards it holds 1.5" five shot groups with minimal effort and no wind to fight. It's the barrel and receiver that makes the accuracy but love the forearm for comfort and how well it cools the barrel.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old November 19, 2019, 20:19   #12
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 82243
I would say Mloc out of the fact its what the industry has pretty much gone to.

Personally Im not a fan of it. Ive got some keymod stuff that is meh as well.
I prefer picatinny myself it just feels right and is more useful imo....
Old November 19, 2019, 22:27   #13
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Picatinny on all fur sides means a lot of covers and fat handguards. I like a pic rail across the top then three M Lok slots, key lock holes or pairs of round holes so can add accessories to end of forearm if need. Honestly I answered M Lok toward top is because it is currently winning as the most used and easy to find accessories on LGS rack. Once rifle is set up actual method of attaching accessories is not really of concern to me. I attach screws using Loctite and torque wrench so don't have issue with any falling off. If forearm is littered with key lock slots they can become cheese graters but plenty of work around if found cheap enough.

Most get nothing but notice the rifle I posted above has a bipod mount on bottom of handguard. Can snap bipod on handguard and from bench or prone drill precise holes out to 300 yards almost as on spot as if used a micrometer, center punch and drill. Since picture was taken rifle now has a set of O.D. Green BUIS sights and the two short sections of pic rails are for event snap an I.R. laser aiming device or decide to swap scope to night vision can add an I.R. illuminator. 20" barrel rifle will probably never get a visible spectrum light but it may so a mounting point is not terrible idea.
Old November 19, 2019, 23:55   #14
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 82243
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Picatinny on all fur sides means a lot of covers and fat handguards. I like a pic rail across the top then three M Lok slots, key lock holes or pairs of round holes so can add accessories to end of forearm if need. Honestly I answered M Lok toward top is because it is currently winning as the most used and easy to find accessories on LGS rack. Once rifle is set up actual method of attaching accessories is not really of concern to me. I attach screws using Loctite and torque wrench so don't have issue with any falling off. If forearm is littered with key lock slots they can become cheese graters but plenty of work around if found cheap enough.

Most get nothing but notice the rifle I posted above has a bipod mount on bottom of handguard. Can snap bipod on handguard and from bench or prone drill precise holes out to 300 yards almost as on spot as if used a micrometer, center punch and drill. Since picture was taken rifle now has a set of O.D. Green BUIS sights and the two short sections of pic rails are for event snap an I.R. laser aiming device or decide to swap scope to night vision can add an I.R. illuminator. 20" barrel rifle will probably never get a visible spectrum light but it may so a mounting point is not terrible idea.
For sure. Mloc is the civilian end all for sure. Its all we see these days at local stores and the internet...

I personally like the fatter hand guards....Hard to scrap what your used to.
That is the greatest thing about the AR platform, basically anyone can find what works best for them....

My truck gun...
[IMG][/IMG]
Old November 20, 2019, 12:15   #15
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
KeyMod is open source

More importantly, it can offend someone.
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2019, 12:28   #16
lew
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
KeyMod is open source
And the MLOK license is free. What's your point?

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -H.L. Mencken
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2019, 07:03   #17
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
And the MLOK license is free. What's your point?
Since you know the difference between open source and free, I must assume your question is rhetorical.
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2019, 08:18   #18
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Keymod but it looks like m-lok is the thing now. Of course I preferred Netscape, Lotus, and Word Perfect so there’s that.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2019, 09:58   #19
yovinny
Uneducated NYC Boy
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
I like the looks and feel of my m lok over key mod,,,and they seem the best value out there today,,,but I dont hang a bunch of chit out front either, so that point isent a big concern.
I'll start wrapping my forends with thorn vine before using anything with permanent attached picatinny on the gripping area,,with coverings or not.
I have and will continue to pass on any new rifle offerings only available as such,,,,
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2019, 10:40   #20
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I have a box of free float and two piece drop in milspec length quad rails with picatinny rails down all four sides. All were free or a flat $5 each for the free floats. Only use them on "give away" status builds and then have to cover all the pic rails with covers. For those with big hands and like fat forearms rekindle it's o.k. but I prefer a medium/large diameter that has no holes or slots for varmint builds and one hole in bottom for bipod mountimg. Also like this style with only four key mod slots at front end in event I may want to add an acessory.

My fighting type rifles like PRI or Midwest industries medium/large diameter with vent holes to help keep barrel cool. Having four rows of flesh chewing pic rails might be nice if making a pizza, needed to grate some cheese and only tool I had was my rifle. I don't even like the rubber snap in protectors as still feel the sharp edges, have to use complete covers.
Old November 28, 2019, 23:33   #21
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
I like the looks and feel of my m lok over key mod,,,and they seem the best value out there today,,,but I dont hang a bunch of chit out front either, so that point isent a big concern.
I'll start wrapping my forends with thorn vine before using anything with permanent attached picatinny on the gripping area,,with coverings or not.
I have and will continue to pass on any new rifle offerings only available as such,,,,
About sums up my thoughts too...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2019, 11:06   #22
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftierson View Post
About sums up my thoughts too...

Forrest
Me too. I had a buddy with a Galil build that had Picatinny rails all around the handguard. Damn thing was like handling a porcupine when shooting. I hated shooting that rifle.

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."-Mick "Pappy" Connors

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 08, 2019, 09:17   #23
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
I dont hang stuff on my handguards so slight preference to m-lok because theyre smoother. I detest quad rails.

More important to me is that the nut is steel, and I prefer compression type attachment with steel thread inserts (not steel screws direct into aluminum). More compression screws are probably better but even two screws stay tight for me so far.
ByronF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 09, 2019, 21:51   #24
Hessikin
Registered

FALaholic #: 83366
My vote is bolting your flashlight and vfg directly into your 6 hole handguard then wrapping tape around it to cover the pressure switch. /s

But really, M-Lok hands down. Utility and ease of use aside, it's a cleaner presentation, in my opinion.
Hessikin is offline   Reply With Quote