The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FIFTY Files

Notices

Old October 26, 2019, 20:21   #1
fuel fire desire
Registered

FALaholic #: 71050
So.....I want to buy a fifty...

Im just starting to contemplate and research the reality of getting into 50 BMG, and would welcome advice from those who have already done so.

My goals; to have a long range high energy rifle to be used in a casual non-competitive setting. Initial ranges desired will be within 600 yards, and eventually out to 1000 yards once skill level reaches that point. I do have the land to exercise the rifles abilities, and it will likely never see a public or club range.

Why BMG and not say .338LM? If Im going to play the $5 a trigger pull game, Id like to have the ability to shoot the fun options the BMG has to offer at closer ranges (API, tracer, cheap ball etc). Also, call it a macho characteristic, but Id also like to have the wow factor of shooting the BMG for personal satisfaction.

My thoughts on rifle platform; After some brief research, I am leaning towards the Barrett M99. While the M82/107 are appealing, Id rather have a more accurate rifle over one that I can to a mag dump with. From what Ive gathered (I may be wrong) the M82/107 are 3-4 MOA guns with good ammo, while the M99 is capable of 1 MOA or better. I do not have a problem feeding the rifle one round at a time. The AR upper options do not appeal to me.

Initially I will be using factory/ surplus, but I will handload for it eventually.

Optics:

My first thought is a Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-2 in MOA. I am a fan of FFP, and think the EBR-2 reticle will work well with a FFP setup. The reticle has 36 MOA of substensions from center to bottom of post. If I have my ballistics right, the BMG has around 24 MOA of drop at 1000 yards. From my limited knowledge, I think this will be enough scope for me. Again, in my inexperience, Id rather use the reticle over doping in the scope if I can. This is just the way I shoot my .308s. Same goes for choosing MOA subsensions over MRAD. Ive used MOA based reticles on everything else Ive owned, and would like to stay with it.

If my thoughts are off base, or if others have a different opinion on what route to go, please throw out some guidance.
fuel fire desire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2019, 13:28   #2
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
If 1,000 yards is your maximum range would consider a 338 Lapua Mag. Have two and they do all I need out to 1,200 yards which is longest range I have access to but we'll as they shoot if had a good reading on range and wind expect 1,600 to 2,000 yards would not be beyond expectation. You can get fun ammo for 338 Lapa if know where to look but it's harder to find and as expensive as 50 BMG. Have a 50 bolt action in back of one of my vaults that mounts to an AR lower and it's been there for years unfired as not felt like spending the money I think is necessary for a 50 BMG scope. From the Ponderosa there is noting I can see that can't hit with a 338 LM due to terrain and obsticles. Only advantage of the 50 would be punching holes in very hard items.

Have two Vortex Viper PST 5-25x scopes on smaller caliber rifles and really like them. Have shot a myriad of 50s and my favorite is the Barrett with the BOARS system to dope long shots. Have worried someone would sign an executive order or bill passed banning 50s and why the turn bolt lurks unfired in back of one of the vaults yet to even be paired with a lower but have dozens of spare unbuilt lowers if needed. If the world was fair I could talk the wife into a March 6-60x Genesis but a $6,000 piece of glass would force me to buy a better host rifle to mount it on and $7,000 for a M82a1 puts a person at $13k before stock up on ammo, spare mags, spare parts and all the extras needed.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2019, 14:56   #3
Thomas
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 7451

PM sent.
Old October 28, 2019, 19:30   #4
fuel fire desire
Registered

FALaholic #: 71050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
PM sent.
Replied. Thank you!
fuel fire desire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2019, 20:33   #5
Joe in Fl
Registered

FALaholic #: 81666
PM sent regarding 50

50 Barrett Model 95
Joe in Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2019, 16:46   #6
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Just read an artice about Chris Kyle had never read and he specifically said he preferred the 338 Lapa Mag to 50 BMG for extreme long range sniping and anti materials use. He stated many people spoke of how a 50 BMG could stop a vehicle while he said a 50 stopped a car or truck only after sufficient fluids leaked out to cause the engine to seize up and the 338 would act in same manner. Said faster way to stop a vehicle was to shoot the driver. He did not carry a 50 BMG on any of his deployments.

His actual favorite rifle was a 300 Win Mag. Kyle made most of his kills with a customized Rem 700 in 300 Win Mag and his 1.2 mile longest shot with a 338 Lapua turn bolt. He preferred Night Force scopes but if issued a rifle with a Leupold he made it work just as well. I wonder what the score would be if he had access to the CheyTacs and other super high tech rifles that were entering into service as he was retiring. He didn't like the fact his 338 didn't have a suppressor which is why he fell back to the 300 Win Mag so much.

Have wondered what his body count would have been along with longest kills if he had been using a Intervention 200 in 408 Cheytac with Night Force 7-35x scope and Opsinc suppressor vs the unsuppressed 338 Lapua with Leupold 3.5-10x he was issued. Why did USSOCOM put Night Force 5.5-22x and 8-32x scopes on 300s and 10x maximum magnification glass on their 338s? When he made the 1.2 mile lomgest shot it was done using a 10x maximum magnification scope and his range card was so short he had to guess his dope and made a one shot kill. He said the 338 was most efficient rifle he had available but shooting it from hides without a suppressor made his head ring thus the 300 Win Mag was usually with him.

Our amd our allies equipment and sniper tactics evolved significantly from the early years of the Gulf war to present. A living Chris Kyle put in the field with rifles now issued and 1.2 mile shots would be just another day in the field with record likely double the 1.2 mile distance. YMMV and opinion may vary. My 50 is still unscoped in back of a vault and never fired. My 338 Lapuas have scopes verified once a year then cleaned and put away. Read a thread on socnet where many were debating best cartridge with 338 Lapuas and 408 CheyTac seeming to get the most endorsements but can be difficult to tell the field operators from the armchair variety on discussion groups but from years of lurking and comments made between some posters where comments were made about not seeing each other since operation "x" in Iraq, Afghanistan or unammed country and sometimes naming their unit plus how a certain person used "x" rifle in "y" cartridge to drop a significant number of zombies in a position to harm friendly troops can get a feel for a few of the guys that are the real thing.

Two of the posters I have identified as 99% odds have worked over a rifle for many years providing over watch there are two that prefer 7mm's. One uses a 7mm ULR and the other a 7mm Rem Mag. The 7mm ULR is nothing but a 7mm RSAUM with a proprietary head stamp. It suffers from the same issue the 7mm RSAUM and 7mm RUM along with others is a 900 to 1,200 round barrel life. Why after having a 7mm RUM built it was sooner than wanted rebarreled in 7mm Practical and now keep a pair so can keep round count per rifle low but the 7mm Practical runs with the RSAUM and RUM with 2,000 round and more barrel life. In a heavy chassis bolt rifle it has pleasant recoil compared to all other discussed and the long heavy 7mm projectiles have stunning ballistic coefficients. Older I get the more I learn to do with less propellent and recoil.

Main advantage of 50 BMG is ability to find specialized military antimaterial rounds with minimal trouble and reasonable price. Generally will pay same price for ten 338 Raufoss as thirty in 50 BMG. Same with other specialty hole drillers and fire burners. Also the 338s don't carry quite the payload to properly administer the goody in the center of a Raufoss round. To me a 338 is best used to shoot the zombie operating the material rather than the machine/vehicle/weapon itself. If need to open really thick tin cans and break expensive toys the 50 BMG is the most cost efficient and available cartridge to do so thus why an 50 BMG AR upper sits in rear of vault and have enough ammo put back if ever mount a scope and lower can use it as I would intend.

If wife would let me spend $5,000 on a scope and $9,000 for the rifle would want without a long lecture amd year of discussion would already be on the wait list for a 408 Cheytac. Sure if I offered to sell $10,000 in rifles that have not been out of vault in over a year she would not say a word but I would have to drive three to four hours into south Georgia to shoot the thing thus it would likely stay in vault years between uses once sighted in and a couple of trips to practice. According to the March website a 416 Cheytac with 6-60x Genesis scope is a three mile rig with the scope doping hold over for the shooter whow only needs an accurate wind read and steady hand.

Figure for me can cut their claim in half and could hold off zombies far enough they wouldnt know where the rounds were coming from. Just what I need, another rifle have to drive hours to shoot, as is its 90 to 120 minutes to the only decent 1,000 yard range have access to plus coordinating timing with range owner. Where I live such rifles range would involve having to thread bullets between mountains and valleys to get a full potential shot out of it. It's a big reason the 50 BMG is a decade old and yet to be fired.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2019, 17:58   #7
OMCHamlin
Registered

FALaholic #: 15205
PM sent
OMCHamlin is offline   Reply With Quote