The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old January 23, 2020, 19:24   #1
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
Do Any Of You Trap/Catch/Store Rain Water? How?

In 2019, we had OVER 5' of rain. 5 FREAKIN' FEET. Now, I have often thought, "how economical, safe and effective is it to catch rain water?" I know my Dad's Cajun cousins had cisterns into the 1970's. I suppose nowadays you have to get permits and such for one; inspections and all that.

How many of you FALaholics catch rain water? How? What kind of filtration/distillation is involved?

TIA,
Jarhead
Old January 23, 2020, 23:36   #2
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Got two 500 gallon tanks,,,,,one on south and one on north side of house,,,gutters running to the tanks.

Slanted,,,self cleaning fine screens,,,with flip up one way "flappers" not sure what they're called,,,when rain fills the three inches of free space above the flappers,,they're spring loaded, this allows water to flow into the tanks,,less than couple of inches,,,they close to keep critters out.

Got a large Berkley filter for drinking it,,,if needed,,,now,,mama just uses it to water her plants and trees.

They stay filled all the time,,got an over flow pipe,,,again,,with a screen on the end of it to keep critters out.

If I planned to drink it,,,,cup or two of Clorox would go in first.

We have another 500 gallon tank,,,filled with the well,,,between house and back pastures,,,we used to keep horses,,,all gone now after 30 years,,,thats then piped down to horse water tanks. Horses need a LOT of water out here in this heat,,,and wells die from time to time.

When we loose power,,,or used to loose power,,,now have jennies that kick in,,we'd use a hose and fill the toilets,,,washing machine,,flush the toilets and do laundry from the tanks,,,and drink bottled water. A couple of solar shower bags,,,took care of the dirty asses. A gallon jug,,,small hole and golf tee for a stopper,,,took care of hand washing.

Figure ya need a couple gallons a day to drink,,,three gallons a day to flush the toilet,,,minimum,,6 would be better,, and laundry,,bathing,,,figure 10/15 gallons a large load,,,couple gallons for shower.

What are your concerns?
You live in wet country,,with creeks,rivers, and ponds about everywhere.

Above ground storage cost pennies compared to underground tanks,,and easier to get it to where ya need or want it,,,no pumps needed for above ground.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2020, 23:47   #3
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

This will help;

on a 2,000 square foot roof, you can collect 2,000 x 0.56 = 1,120 gallons/inch of rain. If your average rainfall was 25 inches/year, your annual collection potential is 1,120 x 25= 28,000 gallons/year.

We get about 6 to 9 inches of rain a year here.

So,,,7 or 8,000 gallons per year?????

Old January 24, 2020, 12:40   #4
slavicshooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 74022
See my PM.~ss
Old January 24, 2020, 19:03   #5
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavicshooter View Post
See my PM.~ss
Thanks Brother slavicshooter. I don't know how to answer pms. That's why I never have.

Jarhead
Old January 24, 2020, 21:05   #6
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 82243
We use rainwater for our farm and for our animals that we catch from the roof in 55 gallon barrels.

We kinda have a system where we offset our water usage during the rainy season to fill our 1000 gallon underground cistern by hose believe it or not.

We do not filter the water until we use it.
Old January 24, 2020, 21:24   #7
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

With the filters today,,about anything wet,,swamp/mud puddle water even,,can be made safe to drink pretty quick and cheap.

Old January 24, 2020, 23:25   #8
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
I only store it if we get no rain for an extended period. Here,we have to run sump pumps in the basements. There is,literally,a steady flow of fairly clean water always running into my basement sump. I even have a hand pump as a backup to my electric pump,in case I lose power. I would guess I pump at least a couple hundred gallons out per day. If I lost power,I use that water for toilets. It would be easy to filter/disinfect. Its already filtered thru about 6 foot of soil,from the surface.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2020, 14:05   #9
FIANNAFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 9035
Wink

Every building on my place has gutters to catch rainfall. 275 and 300 gallon totes to store it in. My toilet and septic is all gravity feed from rainfall
. Small pressure tanks from Northern Tool supply pressure when needed. Half powered by AC / half solar. First posting from new smart ass phone. Kids took away flip top at Christmas.