The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files

Notices

Old January 18, 2020, 15:48   #1
Eld_Fen
Registered

FALaholic #: 83085
Who made this?

I came across this receiver and cant figure out who made it...any ideas? I know almost nothing about the inch pattern rifles...

http://imgur.com/gallery/4zKZfQh
Eld_Fen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2020, 16:04   #2
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
None of the markings are from the manufacturer and look to have been done to (badly) replicate a Commonwealth Pattern Rifle ("BSA" with an Australian style Serial Number). I do recall seeing another pictured on here with those HUGE L1A1 stampings and such but can't now recall the determination of it.
(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2020, 16:10   #3
Tattered
Registered FAL offender
Contributor

FALaholic #: 14096
I would avoid buying that rifle if I were you. There's no way of knowing what receiver manufacturer that is since the seller is only providing 4 pics, two of which are blurry distant pics. The receiver has also been force matched to an Aussie serial number/kit while claiming it's a BSA built rifle. It would be ideal if we could see the magwell area to see if the receiver is cut for Inch mags and has the correct lightening cuts. I doubt it is though since the seller is using a metric mag.
Tattered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2020, 16:18   #4
Eld_Fen
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattered View Post
I would avoid buying that rifle if I were you. There's no way of knowing what receiver manufacturer that is since the seller is only providing 4 pics, two of which are blurry distant pics. The receiver has also been force matched to an Aussie serial number/kit while claiming it's a BSA built rifle. It would be ideal if we could see the magwell area to see if the receiver is cut for Inch mags and has the correct lightening cuts. I doubt it is though since the seller is using a metric mag.

I agree...I've just never seen one like that before. I would have posted the GB link but wasnt sure if that was allowed or not...
Old January 18, 2020, 16:33   #5
imacoonass01
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 80275
A ARS reworked receiver?
Old January 18, 2020, 16:54   #6
308/223shooter
FALaholic Enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Quote:
Originally Posted by imacoonass01 View Post
A ARS reworked receiver?
I seriously doubt Mark would put out that type of shyte. That's one of the worst attempts I've seen of forging a commonwealth receiver.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.

Women are dangerous. All warm, soft and cuddly on the outside, and berserker, Ragnarok crazy upstairs in the control room.
308/223shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2020, 17:27   #7
jam762
Registered

FALaholic #: 68968
Look at the hideous lightning cuts.
jam762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2020, 17:53   #8
308/223shooter
FALaholic Enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Not a $1,500.00 SLR.
Link to auction. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/852913403

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.

Women are dangerous. All warm, soft and cuddly on the outside, and berserker, Ragnarok crazy upstairs in the control room.
308/223shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2020, 19:10   #9
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
Thatís brutal.
Old January 18, 2020, 19:28   #10
Eld_Fen
Registered

Being curious I asked for more pictures and he updated the listing...though it doesnt shed any more light on what it is
Old January 19, 2020, 00:19   #11
def90
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
Those receivers show up here every year or two and Iíll be damned that I canít remember the story behind them.
Old January 19, 2020, 08:29   #12
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by imacoonass01 View Post
A ARS reworked receiver?
Umm - no. While the radius cuts on my aussie cuts are still not the right bevel and not pleasing to me, that one is just fugly.

I'm guessing original receiver was imbel - was the original serial number removed? The diaganal cut on L side of mag well says it started as a type 3. But it also has a tick mark for barrel timing which I've never seen on an IMBEl or argy that started as a bare receiver and not a complete factory built rifle. I think that would make this a contraband receiver as it's serial number has been removed and replaced with a different one.

The oversize L1.A1.A were mad in AZ back in the early 90s by Fred Johnson, Ken elmore and the guy from MACVSOG

Last edited by gunplumber; January 19, 2020 at 08:35.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2020, 10:30   #13
enbloc8
Registered

FALaholic #: 51665
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
Umm - no. While the radius cuts on my aussie cuts are still not the right bevel and not pleasing to me, that one is just fugly.

I'm guessing original receiver was imbel - was the original serial number removed? The diaganal cut on L side of mag well says it started as a type 3. But it also has a tick mark for barrel timing which I've never seen on an IMBEl or argy that started as a bare receiver and not a complete factory built rifle. I think that would make this a contraband receiver as it's serial number has been removed and replaced with a different one.

The oversize L1.A1.A were mad in AZ back in the early 90s by Fred Johnson, Ken elmore and the guy from MACVSOG
Weren't some late FN receivers serialed on the right side, towards the rear? Right about where the inset was milled and the AD serial off the lower stamped?
enbloc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2020, 12:56   #14
garandguy10
Registered

FALaholic #: 10840
Those marking are very similar to inch pattern rifles sold in Kalifornia back in the mid-late 90's by an outfit called SOG Sales (or something like that). I used to see them displayed at gun shows back then. I think SOG Sales was out of Southern California or Arizona. SOG used to have a lot of rifles on display and had a rather impressive amount of FAL/Inch pattern, M1 Garand/M1 Carbine and AR/AK parts for sale back then.
garandguy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2020, 21:11   #15
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by garandguy10 View Post
Those marking are very similar to inch pattern rifles sold in Kalifornia back in the mid-late 90's by an outfit called SOG Sales (or something like that). I used to see them displayed at gun shows back then. I think SOG Sales was out of Southern California or Arizona. SOG used to have a lot of rifles on display and had a rather impressive amount of FAL/Inch pattern, M1 Garand/M1 Carbine and AR/AK parts for sale back then.
Yes, SOG and MAC V SOG same guy.

He also had a lot of International Harvester? Garands with one digit of the serial number showing a discoloration in the Parkerizing. As would happen if the original number was tig welded and then re-engraved.

Parkerizing shows a change in color with differing steel hardness.

Coincidentally, the digit that would put it in the "correct" IH range.
He got really pissed at me when I asked him about it. He faked inspector cartouches on stocks too.

Both he and Ken Elmore were fckuing crooks. I've done a lot of repos, but I've never pretended they were originals.
Old January 19, 2020, 21:15   #16
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by enbloc8 View Post
Weren't some late FN receivers serialed on the right side, towards the rear? Right about where the inset was milled and the AD serial off the lower stamped?
Maybe? I don't know. I thought typical was for left side rear.