The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old January 27, 2019, 00:25   #101
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Finally have a start on my ballistic barrier site www.CoolBulletProofing.Com but have a long way to go plus have to build my body armor site. Am very excited as been researching and trying non-Newtonian*fluids for home brew armor. Have had my first success and am reatively easily making 6"×6" square panels that exceed NIJ 3a performance. Only issue is when go bigger cannot sew my panels tight enough my fluid doesn't settle but can overlap panels similar to DragonSkin body armor and create larger panels and odd shapes including curves.

It seems almost miraculous to buy a relatively common powder, mix to correct viscosity and sew between two pieces of waterproof nylon or single layers of Kevlar cloth and have it totally stop 9mm ball, 44 mag JHP's and high pressure rounds like 357 SIG and 40 Smith. I own way too much high quality body armor to use as primary means to protect my life but to finally come up with a fluid that reacts properly by becoming more rigid as impact increases and does not dry out. (Yet) Oldest panels made using my new material are about 90 days old, still flexible and still stopping bullets.

Make extra with each batch, date them and waiting to see how long before my goo gets to hard to work. Have been mostly using treated Cordura for my outer layers and use seam tape where sew panels together and have no leakage issues till after a shot or few stress my seams. Need a good industrial sewing machine that does bartack stitching. Still, good used soft armor can be found cheap if willing to buy an entire deprtments surplus when they do their five year rotation of armor as always barely worn and never worn vests in the lot as some will come never issued still in original plastic and box.

My new plates are thin steel of a proprietary alloy about 1/16" thick sandwiched between two pieces of 3/8" Dyneema under extreme pressure then has a Kevlar cover sewn over panels to protect them the rear panel has 3/16" high density close cell foam pad to cushion some ofriends the backface signture. Weight is just under four pounds per panel and will stop the new M855A1 and M80A1 projectiles from 25 feet. Supposed to do from point blank but afraid to stand that close and turn loose an M80A1 round.

Bought my first set when neighbor scared me when his dog was barking at me and his primary defense weapon is a Remington 742 in 30-06. Decided my NIJ 3+ superlight Dyneema ws not enough with him being a little nutty. Using 10.5"×12.5" rear panels and 11"×14" front panels. Due to predominance of hunting rifles used by hillbillies for hunting and defense decided NIJ 4 was a better idea even if adds almost three full pounds back to my kit.

Had a church recently want to protect people best they could with almost zero budget. Between alter and front row we built an 8" thick hip wall out of plywood during a church workday and had members filling sandbags. We carefully stacked sandbags in the wall which is 42" tall then covered with carpet to make it look decent. Except for cut outs at isles to access pulpit/podium it's a solid wall almost length of church. Have another day seduced and going to remove one row of pews about 3/4 way back and build another. Six inches of sand will stop most rifle bullets and they have eight inches.

Members are told if have shooter do their best to get on opposite side of sand bags from perpetrator while getting as low ND close as possible while security team tries to neutralize the threat. When get second wall they will have some recourse, sand was cheap, just had to make sure and dry it well before bagging and had it treated for bugs whIle drying in an outbuilding. Those folks put in two hard dys of work. Learning to go low tech and cheap for those who have no other way while others can drop $75 per square foot for ballistic fiberglass and abrasion resistant polycarbonate installed price if big budget facility or corporate facility. I think $75 per square foot installey and finished for NIJ 3a barriers is fair considering cost of materials. U.L. 5 and above gets expensive but only doctors and pharmacies are paying for rifle protection barriers currently. Lots of pharmacists are now wearing armor when lock doors and walk to car after dark now.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2019, 12:00   #102
Registered

FALaholic #: 11539
Location: One of the several States comprising The United States of America, Unincorporated
Huey, I initially was offering the STF-Impregnated armor back in 2005 (PEG and/or nano-particle silica/nano particle CaCO2). Performance was impressive.

STF-impregnated armor must remain wetted, and so the biggest issue was picking the encapsulation method (ended up going with anti-static bags), and eventually dropped it because the bags added weight, bulk, and if they developed a tear, would leak the STF. STF is an interesting concept, but until a method is perfected for actually using it in the real world, it will remain strictly a lab curiosity.

From my experience, the STF also caused accelerated degradation of the Aramid fibers that were used. My theory is the particles acted as micro-abrasives, leading to a drop-off in ballistic effectiveness of 15-20% after being worn for a year. This is unacceptable, and I would not wear STF as currently conceived.

The next big evolutionary shift in soft armor is going to be M5 Fiber, and until that comes out, we are going to be looking at small, incremental improvements in areal density (I am currently working with carbon-nanotube enhanced Aramids, since UHMWPE is on its way out IMHO).

The chemistry of Aramid fiber has hit a plateau, and until the spinneret tension roadblock is solved regarding M5, CNT-enhanced Aramid offers the best solution for continued soft armor improvement.

Best of luck with your structural armoring startup, there is still a large demand for up-armoring houses and dwellings.

Last edited by 009.5; January 28, 2019 at 12:35.
009.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2019, 07:49   #103
Registered

FALaholic #: 66611
OK. So I've read this thread with interest, but I will admit that I don't follow all of the technical aspects discussed in it. So with that being said. Can one of you guys recommend something in the way of armor and carrier. And what type of money are we talking. I'd be looking to still be able to move and shoot as well as just staying stationary. The only body armor that I have ever worn was IIa, under my uniform.
1769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2019, 15:08   #104
Registered

Location: One of the several States comprising The United States of America, Unincorporated
Recommended Armor/Gear Database updated 3-12-2019:

https://drmorgear.wordpress.com/reco...rmor-database/
Old April 29, 2019, 20:40   #105
Registered

After 14 years of diligent R&D, I will be releasing the best rifle plates available. Stay tuned.
Old May 24, 2019, 14:11   #106
Registered

Stay tuned for release information.

These rifle plates will render all other current ceramic plates hilariously and utterly obsolete.

To all those that have asked for rifle plates over the last 14 years, your patience is about to be rewarded...
Old February 03, 2020, 23:21   #107
Roadmarker
Remaining Vigilant 3-7-77
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63605
Anything come of this release?
Old February 04, 2020, 02:06   #108
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Quote:
Originally Posted by 009.5 View Post
After 14 years of diligent R&D, I will be releasing the best rifle plates available. Stay tuned.
Curious about this. Looking for an update.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2020, 17:26   #109
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
Curious about this. Looking for an update.
Bruno, I have not forgotten about everyone waiting for these. Just overwhelmed with Gen 5 Spall Guards. 2020 is going to be a good year for body armor, I can tell you that...
Old February 05, 2020, 20:16   #110
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Keep us posted! Continuing to wish you good luck on this venture.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote