Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Bolt Action Files

Notices

Old October 20, 2019, 16:29   #1
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
Loving me some FN

This has to be my favorite time of the year. Just enjoy the precision bolt action.
One of my favorites is the FN SPR in .308. Heavy fluted 20" chrome lined barrel with a Leupold MK4 8.5-25 sitting on her. Mac stock , Harris bipod, 10 rnd factory box mag. Nothing finer than getting down on the prone mat and placing each rnd where it is supposed to go. If you like a pre 64 Winchester action you would absolutely love this critter.

This target is a couple years old, but she can still take care of HR. I like these 500yd scaled for 100. I only had to put one rnd in each bad guy, but got carried away and wanted to make sure they were finished. 5 rnds is better practice than one. I did mess the hostage girls hair, but at least she survived.

RVN 67-68

Last edited by ArtBanks; October 22, 2019 at 04:30.
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2019, 17:16   #2
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Nice rig. And I agree, my favorite time to get to the outdoor range I’m a member of is in the fall...

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop!” -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2019, 18:35   #3
2barearms
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
Those rifles are no fun to shoot.....they do the same thing over and over and over...

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
2barearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2019, 08:01   #4
davedude
Registered

FALaholic #: 20538
Very nice Art. Can you comment on the pros and cons between that one and your Savage?
Reason I ask is I have a LH Savage model 10 20" fat barrel stagger feed 4.275" action screw spacing with the bolt release up on the side that has two useless blind magazine stocks. I wanna convert to a DBM and useful stock. It's gonna cost to do that and maybe it would be more cost effective to buy something already set up. Not sure if FN makes the SPR in lefty though..
Old October 28, 2019, 10:10   #5
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedude View Post
Very nice Art. Can you comment on the pros and cons between that one and your Savage?
Reason I ask is I have a LH Savage model 10 20" fat barrel stagger feed 4.275" action screw spacing with the bolt release up on the side that has two useless blind magazine stocks. I wanna convert to a DBM and useful stock. It's gonna cost to do that and maybe it would be more cost effective to buy something already set up. Not sure if FN makes the SPR in lefty though..
Well, the FN is a bunch shorter, has a chrome lined barrel and the DBM option was easy to add. The mags are steel which I really like.

If you are talking about the Savage Stealth, it's ok, but not the rugged quality of the FN and the mags are plastic with a steel follower. The Stealth is 6.5 and wonderful for prone shooting but feels a little fragile for me to rely on where the FN is a tank even though not very heavy.

The best thing is all my Savages and the SPR continually outshoot my Rem 700 and many of it's cousins shot by others.

Other Savage 110s that I own do compare favorable to the FN but the SPR still wins out in my book
RVN 67-68
Old October 28, 2019, 10:38   #6
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Nice rig, although I prefer longer barrels (so I can lug the additional weight around, of course, but I'm sure that goes without saying ).

I have an FN SPR receiver (a M70 Win, really) built up with a Krieger heavy weight 26 in barrel with a Palma chamber.

It's a shooter (and keeper)...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2019, 14:46   #7
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
I have the FN Patrol Bolt Rifle. Very similar to the SPR but the bore is NOT chrome lined and the rifle came with the Hogue over molded stock. That stock was flimsy and allowed the forearm to flex up and contact the barrel. Replaced the Hogue with an HS Precision stock that was glass bedded to the action. It now wears a Leupold Mk 4 LRT in 3.5X10X40. On a good day with good ammo, it will keep ½MOA group with me doing my part. And on a bad day for me, it will still keep ¾MOA. I really like this rifle and it will do what it needs to do out to 600 yards (longest range I have).

Compared to my Savage LE Tactical in 6.5CM, it is a close call. The Savage has a 24 inch heavy profile barrel and a Magpul 10 round AICS DBM. But the action is loose, not mechanically tight like the FN. Like the AK is to the AR. Accuracy with the Savage isn't as good as the FN, holding at a consistent ¾-1MOA. But the Savage is ammo sensitive and that may be the cause behind the accuracy issue. The Savage has the FN beat on recoil. It has very little and I can keep the scope on target with not problem.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2019, 21:39   #8
davedude
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtBanks View Post
Well, the FN is a bunch shorter, has a chrome lined barrel and the DBM option was easy to add. The mags are steel which I really like.

If you are talking about the Savage Stealth, it's ok, but not the rugged quality of the FN and the mags are plastic with a steel follower. The Stealth is 6.5 and wonderful for prone shooting but feels a little fragile for me to rely on where the FN is a tank even though not very heavy.

The best thing is all my Savages and the SPR continually outshoot my Rem 700 and many of it's cousins shot by others.

Other Savage 110s that I own do compare favorable to the FN but the SPR still wins out in my book
Very good sir, many thanks.
Old November 03, 2019, 07:11   #9
davedude
Registered

well hell looks like it will cost me about a grand or so to put the savage in a decent stock with detachable magazine capability. Or I could buy a new LH Bergara B-14 HMR or something else for the same money. Or go another direction entirely and get a pre-1898 40-70 lever action shooter. Hmmmm, sh*t, decisions decisions...
Old November 03, 2019, 07:21   #10
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedude View Post
well hell looks like it will cost me about a grand or so to put the savage in a decent stock with detachable magazine capability. Or I could buy a new LH Bergara B-14 HMR or something else for the same money. Or go another direction entirely and get a pre-1898 40-70 lever action shooter. Hmmmm, sh*t, decisions decisions...

The new Savage Stealth in either .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor can be had for under a grand and are available in LH for those so handicapped.
RVN 67-68
Old November 03, 2019, 10:56   #11
davedude
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtBanks View Post
The new Savage Stealth in either .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor can be had for under a grand and are available in LH for those so handicapped.
It's worse than you know Mr. Banks, I'm a special kind of handicapped--- ambidextrous! Favor the right but can do with either. Shooting seems more natural left hand. For me anyways. Right hand bolt guns no problem-all my shooting life but was spoiled with a left hand action a few years ago and will not buy another bolt rifle with the handle on the wrong side.
Thanks for the info, 6.5CM is going to get looked into along with other value options as well as more expensive ones.

Oh and by the way, I always enjoy your posts Mr. Banks. Thanks very much.

Last edited by davedude; November 03, 2019 at 11:51.
davedude is offline   Reply With Quote