Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old October 16, 2019, 14:42   #1
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
protecting against ambush

Best thing you can do is don't go to places where the chances are high.

If your spidey-senses (if you have any) are tingling, evacuate the area immediately.

Situational awareness.
Situational awareness!
Situational awareness!!!

Carry a gun or some sort of weapon, so if you are cornered, you have something more than screaming-for-mercy as an option.

I don't generally post bad shit I stumble across on the internet.
This one rubbed me worse than most.

Here, a total wacko attacks three people with an axe in 7-11.
This link on Facebook is currently up, and un-edited: https://www.facebook.com/pierre.joel...8207432752087/
Mute the sound unless you want to listen to the idiot voicing-over during the play.
Even this version is edited in the sense that it shows the perp entering the store, and then skips to the confrontation. Other versions that OMIT the confrontation show the perp enter the store, and walk past the primary victim, who only acknowledges the perp nonchalantly and then goes about waiting for his pastry or some such to finish warming at the front of the store. He could have escaped, but was apparently too thick to do it.

There are some edited versions on youtube and other commercial news sites.
Hell, even the LiveLeak version of this is down.

Abandon property if necessary. Your pastry in the microwave can be forfeited. If someone hits you in the head with an axe while you are waiting for it to finish warming, you won't be eating the pastry anyway.

If you have to fight, don't be halfway about it. Strike first if you can.

If the facebook link won't work for you, and you want see/read more about it google, "Evie Amati axe"

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.

Last edited by W.E.G.; October 16, 2019 at 14:47.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2019, 15:06   #2
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Fukcing idiot standing there with his hands in his pockets. I see someone that crazy ass looking walking in even without an axe, my alertness moves up a few notches.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2019, 15:14   #3
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
2 books for reference ........

https://www.amazon.com/Escape-Wolf-S...s%2C188&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/100-Deadly-Sk...1257095&sr=8-1
Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2019, 15:45   #4
Whydah
Registered

FALaholic #: 74237
My wife once thought my carrying everyplace i went after I was issue my CCW was just a passing infatuation. That was about 35 years ago. She knows better now.
Whydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2019, 16:15   #5
Shoots High
previously "powderhead"

FALaholic #: 18717
Yep, carry everywhere all the time. Even the little country church in rural Texas.
Shoots High is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2019, 16:16   #6
easttex
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20438
Although I preach situational awareness to my wife, I fear that someday her lack of it will bring a bad result. She just does not understand how to react to spidey-sense, nor how to read situations and she insists upon being around people.

Molon labe
easttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2019, 16:29   #7
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by easttex View Post
Although I preach situational awareness to my wife, I fear that someday her lack of it will bring a bad result. She just does not understand how to react to spidey-sense, nor how to read situations and she insists upon being around people.
Yep, mine has a gun and keeps in the glove box. Has only shot a couple of times at the range. She'd be toast in any situation like that. It would be deer in the headlights time.

I'm just wondering how that monster or whatever it is , didn't split that guy's head in two.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2019, 16:58   #8
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 3100
I taught my wife about situational awareness. Drove it into her head time after time. Now she uses it against me when I stub my toe, or bang my head on the cupboard, or some stupid sh!t like that.
idsubgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2019, 17:04   #9
chino*74
Registered

FALaholic #: 75409
Situational awareness is 99% of the challenge. 7-11 & Circle K etc. are magnets for homeless & crazies...and there's always a friggin bus stop right out next to these places it seems, that's why I make my coffee at home B4 work & try not to stop at places like those esp. early morning or late at night.

Having a gun covers the over 1% probability.
Old October 16, 2019, 17:16   #10
Wacky D
Registered

FALaholic #: 31951
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
I'm just wondering how that monster or whatever it is , didn't split that guy's head in two.
I assume that transcreature's hormone treatments contributed to lower physical strength, hence the blows not being immediately fatal.
Wacky D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2019, 19:47   #11
lew
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Don't go to stupid places with stupid people and do stupid things. That alone will cut out 98% of the trouble. Keep yer head on a swivel to keep your head on yer body.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -H.L. Mencken
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2019, 20:28   #12
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 65552
It drives me nuts to see my wifes piece sitting on the bar when I get home. She can easily put it in her purse or in her car, yet it sits there, useless in a house with a bunch of other guns.
Old October 16, 2019, 21:23   #13
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
You could give some folks a Star Trek phaser.

If they can't visualize how to use it, it might as well just be a nose-hair trimmer with dead batteries.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2019, 09:18   #14
JColdIron
Registered

FALaholic #: 24587
Quote:
Originally Posted by chino*74 View Post
Situational awareness is 99% of the challenge. 7-11 & Circle K etc. are magnets for homeless & crazies...and there's always a friggin bus stop right out next to these places it seems, that's why I make my coffee at home B4 work & try not to stop at places like those esp. early morning or late at night.

Having a gun covers the over 1% probability.
I worked 3rd shift in a 7-11 back in the 80's. The weird you see after 3:00 AM is hard to describe. We had no barrier or defense systems other than the ruler taped to the door to ID how tall the robber was. It's a wonder I survived!

No way I am getting that person within ax reach of me and I am looking for the wind up.
JColdIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2019, 09:35   #15
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Inconvenient facts

Quote:
Prosecutors argued at trial that Amati had launched the attack out of rage after coming to believe that a woman she had met on Tinder had rejected her on the basis of her being transgender.

Quote:
The three-week trial in 2018 traversed several issues: gender dysphoria; mental illness and psychosis; and the effect had on Amati by a complex combination of seven different substances in her blood at the time of the attack, including alcohol, cannabis, amphetamines, antidepressants, and hormone medication.

Crown prosecutor Daniel McMahon told the jury that Amati had acted out of a “deep-seated anger with the world”, connected to her feelings of rejection and discrimination for being transgender.

He said Amati had lied on the stand about experiencing psychotic symptoms that night, including hearing voices and feeling her vision narrow.

“Was she experiencing any of those things at all, or was it plain old anger?” McMahon asked the jury.

He also said her intent to kill was clear in messages about killing people she sent to her Tinder date and in a Facebook status posted just 25 minutes before the attack.

He read the post out to the court, noting its perfect grammar: “Humans are only able to destroy, to hate. So that is what I shall do.”
https://www.buzzfeed.com/lanesainty/...ppeal-sentence

Full video, with dramatic incidental music score.
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...930a105254d6d5

Knew Amati looked familiar.

Old October 17, 2019, 10:27   #16
Tak
Registered

FALaholic #: 27291
Maybe not everyone saw this. Really great video about situational awareness and behaviors bad guys exhibit right before they strike. Totally worth the view:

Its not just for Concealed Carry, it's for anyone who does not want to be a victim.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2019, 10:50   #17
mp
Registered

FALaholic #: 654
That was no ambush. A slung axe in a 7-11 took away the surprise, a tenant required for an ambush.
mp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2019, 11:01   #18
JAB75
Safety Detector
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 12107
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/...17-p50s1c.html

Excerpts:

A woman who launched a brutal axe attack on strangers at a convenience store in Sydney's inner west two years ago has been jailed for at least 4 years.

During the three-week trial, Amati argued her body carried out the attack but her mind did not, because she had taken a cocktail of drugs, alcohol and prescription medication and was experiencing a psychosis.

She said her mental health had deteriorated since she started taking hormones to transition from male to female.

-----------------------------------------------------

XY or XX, the biological lottery does not lie. Women (XX) everywhere should be offended by this nonsense.

-JAB75
Or on the trigger of your gun?
JAB75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2019, 07:49   #19
madrad62
Registered

FALaholic #: 78107
was just in new orleans last week end,had almost all of those trics attemped.

very sobering realization seeing it on video,[was that me?].ive always preached to my kids and old lady BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUDINGS! makes me sick to think i may have ended up a victim.

im of fair size and so is my son,ive been around the block and saw most of it coming,my son not so much[19 yrs old].unarmed in a strange city made me feel vulnerable to say the least.

new orleans is full of pan handlers,i mean full.we were approched every 5 to 10 minutes for money and eyed up and down for a possible victim constantly.
that place is a sewer and needs to slip into the ocean along with california!
madrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2019, 09:34   #20
MordeanGrey
Registered

FALaholic #: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Maybe not everyone saw this. Really great video about situational awareness and behaviors bad guys exhibit right before they strike. Totally worth the view:

Its not just for Concealed Carry, it's for anyone who does not want to be a victim.
Thanks for that. I watched it and shared it with my family.

MordeanGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2019, 10:52   #21
Tak
Registered

FALaholic #: 27291
yw - someone posted it earlier here and I thought it was great.

Especially the part where people get 'locked in' their behaviors and are unwilling to break out of their rote actions to avoid something potentially bad.

People will cry racist because I think every bad guy in there was black, but they were filming most of these in DC or Baltimore I think. That's just how the crime works.

But the principles of behavior apply regardless of color or race or sex.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2019, 11:07   #22
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
These people,,,general public,,,simply do not believe,,,they can become victims,,,no matter what they see with their own eyes coming at them.

Bad shit always happens to the other guy on TV.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2019, 11:12   #23
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Just a point of view but if you live in the jungle then expect a fight.
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2019, 14:07   #24
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
I haven't watched the video but based on the commentary I am assuming it was the attack here in Sydney ? The first one hit I suspect was trying to pick little Evie up for some jiggy jiggy with a "nice axe" line....
(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote