Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Optics

Notices

Old February 12, 2019, 18:31   #1
Tuhlmann
THAT guy
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69411
Best binoculars youíve ever looked through

What are the best binoculars youíve ever looked through? Iím talking in terms of optical clarity, low light performance, and minimal chromatic abberation. Please stick to commercially available options.

ďIím saying: Think about your contribution to society. Be careful when you get into a business that extracts value. Broaden your idea about whatís enough. And for Godís sake, think about who you are.Ē - J. Bogle
Tuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2019, 18:36   #2
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Kowa

https://www.optics4birding.com/kowa-...SABEgKEePD_BwE

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2019, 18:36   #3
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Swarovski
Steiner
Zeiss

And I once had a humungous set of *Russian artillery binoculars* from Sportsman's Guide!

Carlos Castenada
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2019, 18:38   #4
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
PS:. I love my Kowa spotting scope but never tried their binos.

Carlos Castenada
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2019, 18:55   #5
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
I have two pair of Steiners. One is a Predator 8X42 hunting bino. I love it. The coatings are made to enhance animals colors making them readily visible. They work and I have taken many deer after spotting them walking through the woods. Never saw them with the bare eyes at distance. The second is the standard Military/Marine 8X30. They are great all around binos and ride in my truck. Suitable at the range, woods, water. Carried them in my patrol car until I retired.

May not be the best but I don't think you can buy better for the money.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2019, 19:24   #6
gentlemanjoe
Registered

FALaholic #: 77676
Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
I have two pair of Steiners. One is a Predator 8X42 hunting bino.

Steiner Predator gets my vote too. I have the 8x42 aswell.
gentlemanjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2019, 23:18   #7
Wildcat
Registered

FALaholic #: 6517
Fujinon 7x50 marine binoculars.
Good low light performance with a large exit pupil.

They worked very well on the boat but might be on the bulky side for tromping in the field.

You didn't say what you wanted to do with them.
Old February 13, 2019, 00:08   #8
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
My Steiner 7x50 Mil/marines. Had a pair of Safari 8x30s,didn't like them. Foggy image. The 7x50s are crystal clear,and suck light like a vacuum. Never looked thru any higher priced binocs. I imagine some of the other upper brands are very good.
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2019, 10:54   #9
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
Ziess 8x42 were the best hunting glass I've ever used.
Old February 13, 2019, 13:36   #10
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Swarovski 8x has my vote. Haven't ever had the expensive Zeiss to compare to.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of StalinĎs thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2019, 14:11   #11
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
Leitz and Swarovski I was splitting hairs between them.

The deer hunters I often spend time in camp with typically spend 3-5K on their glass and this means I get to sit on the verandah of the hut and use them as much as I want.

I hunt with a pair of Steiner 8x30s (an older version of these https://www.steiner-optics.com/binoc...military-8x30r ) that I have had now for about 22yrs. Whilst "only" being about $1200 (Aussie) compared to the rest of the European gear they truely hold their own (and are much more portable) !!
(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2019, 19:47   #12
FNfreak
Registered

FALaholic #: 1081
Eurpoean glass is the best of the best. The differences are so minuscule your brain and eye can't really tell the difference but your WALLET WILL!!! (tube construction, proper seals and ergonomics play a huge part of the "unseen" factors in nice quality optics also. High end Zeiss makes the best glass in the world. They actually make the glass for many other optics manufactures. I have several pair that I will be buried with but one of the best pair is a $80 surplus pair of Zeiss Jenna (East German Zeiss) NVA 7x40 BEFORE coated optics came along...Built like a tank and actually see better in the dark then anything else I own (other then my PVS14!!)

ANY and I repeat ANY of the MAJOR European brand of glass will be better then your eye can see the difference in. When you get above the $800 point, quality glass becomes obvious to someone who actually uses it for the intended purpose.

American and Japanese glass will be a UPPER middle of the road...

Nikon is a major supplier of glass to other off brand companies also...

Eastern Europe, Russian (all of east Asia except JAPAN) and especially Chinese glass is crap. The quality of the glass is sub par, the housing may be made like a TANK, but the peripheral distortions, aberrations and coating that FLAKE OFF after a year or two just aren't worth the hassles.The electronics and quality of internal parts and seals will be shit also...
FNfreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2019, 20:30   #13
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
I can't tell the difference. They all suck. Too much adjusting and cross eyed stuff going on

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2019, 22:53   #14
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
I can't tell the difference. They all suck. Too much adjusting and cross eyed stuff going on
...I generally adjust the oculars once at the start of a trip (often they need no change) and not again. No focus etc to worry about.
Old February 14, 2019, 10:01   #15
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
Leica
Ziess
Swarovski

had the chance to look thru all at a shop set up thru a window looking for long distance

are all top of the line and I doubt that there are better out there but,

my wallet is tiny and by sheer luck nearly 30 years ago I was able to acquire a Steiner 8x30 Predator set via a safety rewards program where I worked

best value on a cost basis when spending your hard earned cash, clear, crisp image and my eyes do not get fatigued looking for extended periods of time
Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2019, 21:17   #16
davedude
Registered

FALaholic #: 20538
Hate to admit but my junk Celestron 15x70 skymaster is the best I have. I'm one of the lucky ones, the optics in mine are collimated correctly.
As cheap as they are I've been startled by them sometimes.
Old February 16, 2019, 21:55   #17
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Steiner, commander model I believe, the set with the built in compass.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2019, 23:15   #18
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

My old Steiners hanging there...

Old February 18, 2019, 23:06   #19
truck 1
Registered

FALaholic #: 14617
Zeiss Jena EDF 7x40 East German surplus out of early 90's stores after the wall fell are the best I've ever looked through. They beat my Leicas, Steiners, and Hensoldts hands down.
truck 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2019, 16:44   #20
Uriah Lee
Registered

FALaholic #: 81151
Steiners Military/Marine 7X50 and Leica Geovid 7X42 for me. The Steiners are rugged and suit me as the best all the way around. I bought the Leicas because they had the laser rangefinder built in and they are excellent as well. I think that Leica has the better glass than the Steiner pair or most any others I have tried (except brothers Ziess). But the damn Leicas don't want to adjust quite wide enough for my eye span and do get to be a bit fiddly to find the sweet spot. I have a Vortex mono 10X24 with ranging reticle that I usually just grab for casual ship spotting down at the waterfront park.
Uriah Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 01, 2019, 18:01   #21
frankxtc
Registered

FALaholic #: 10952
Thanks to all the good info in this thread, I bought some Zeiss Jena EDF 7x40 East German surplus binoculars, amazing.
Replaced the Bell & Howell 8x40 I have had since the early 70’s.
I do not go in for collecting guns.
I never buy a gun unless I really need it.
As a matter of fact, I really only need about a dozen, or possibly fourteen, more guns than I have now.
frankxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 01, 2019, 21:23   #22
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Best I own are Steiners. Have used some other brands that are nice and basically learned get what pay for. A $1,500 pair of brand x, y or z will usually all be relatively comparable and that's when ergonomics and how controls feel to you start making an impact. Have Nikons in my truck, Steiner compact in briefcase and two pair of Meade that have decent glass.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 02, 2019, 11:20   #23
Uriah Lee
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Best I own are Steiners. Have used some other brands that are nice and basically learned get what pay for. A $1,500 pair of brand x, y or z will usually all be relatively comparable and that's when ergonomics and how controls feel to you start making an impact. Have Nihttp://www.falfiles.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=4705441kons in my truck, Steiner compact in briefcase and two pair of Meade that have decent glass.
Ditto on the ergonomics, Huey. As previously stated, the Leicas i have don't want to accommodate the width of my eye span without much fiddling around. When I do make a passable alignment, the glass is superb. Steiners are just pick up and use with no fuss.
Old March 03, 2019, 23:15   #24
Tuhlmann
THAT guy
Contributor

Steiner HX 10x42 is what my eyes are on. No options locally to put my hands on them, so anybody have any experience?

ďIím saying: Think about your contribution to society. Be careful when you get into a business that extracts value. Broaden your idea about whatís enough. And for Godís sake, think about who you are.Ē - J. Bogle
Old March 04, 2019, 13:27   #25
Uriah Lee
Registered

When the power level grows to the 10 power and beyond, stabilizing the view can become a very real issue. When using hand held the image can shake so badly that details will be harder to discern. Now if you can take a steady rest, or if you have a set of stabilized binoculars, life is golden. Not always easy to find a steady rest out in the field and stabilized ones are expensive on top of expensive. Try before you buy and see if you have the steady hand it takes.
Old March 04, 2019, 14:42   #26
Tuhlmann
THAT guy
Contributor

Iíve used 10x42 for many years, and I agree at 10x can be a bit wiggly in the field. A good bino harness allows you to use tension to stabilize without a field rest. Their are 15x56s in the HX line I seriously considered, but I think those would require a tripod to avoid fatigue.

Old March 05, 2019, 18:55   #27
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Going to agree with ThulTroll and others, Steiners are great glass

couple other options:

Older East German Carl Zeiss are tremendous
military 7X50s still turn up at shows for the $100 range

Late military Hensoldts are up there with Leica. Even used they are not inexpensive

member .308 sold a number of Steiners here last year real reasonable, LE surplus
There was a 7x50 Commander with compass like new on an airgun board last week for $250 that was a bargain
Riversidesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 05, 2019, 22:37   #28
kmurphy
Registered

FALaholic #: 29121
Well, for what I paid my East German DF 7x40 is hard to beat except in weight.
kmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 06, 2019, 07:32   #29
Gazz
Registered

FALaholic #: 15159
Back in the eighties and nineties, I used to travel between Japan and Germany on a regular basis. I was interested in getting some compact binocs and checked them out in both countries. A compact 10x Nikon model with the rubber exterior in Japan (a model not available in the US) was around $125 and seemed quite good. In Germany I looked at a comparable (size wise), either a Leica, Zeiss or one of the other high end German makes that were around $400 and surprisingly, thought the Nikons were much better optically. So next trip to J-land, I bought the Nikons. I did learn they were not waterproof so I keep them out of the rain and snow. I am guessing that all consumer products by Nikon are now made in the Philippines or China and don't know what they are like now.
Old March 18, 2019, 19:31   #30
Tuhlmann
THAT guy
Contributor

I went with Leica Trinovid 10x42. I couldnít find the Steiner HXs anywhere to look through, and the Leicas beat everything else I looked through in that price range by a pretty good margin to my eyes.

Old March 18, 2019, 20:15   #31
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
I have a couple pairs of the old WWII 6x30 US binoculars,I think one is a Nash/Kelvinator,can't remember the other. Those damn things have really clear glass. Better than anything below a couple hundred bucks today.
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2019, 09:27   #32
Mekooky
Registered

FALaholic #: 80269
This summer I bought Cobra TB50-336 thermal binoculars. This device is easy to use even in the total moonless night and extremely great to shoot. I can say yes, it's worth buying. You can check this model out on https://www.agmglobalvision.com/thermal-imaging official website.. There are cheaper options on that site!
Mekooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2019, 08:34   #33
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Past decade been swapping my favorite length, especially longer zoom lenses, with image stabilized versions. While I dislike Nikon scopes and binoculars have always shot Nikon camera lenses and spending four figures per unit is expected. That said I recently decided to buy a pair of image stabilized binoculars. While not a Cannon camera fan after much reading and driving into Atlanta where have the city haze to cut through when test driving optics ended up with a pair of Canon 10x42 L Image Stabilization Waterproof Binoculars. Street price is about $1,200 but I scored a pair for $999 out the door as vendor realizes have been a regular camera customer for over 25 years and get pro pricing. They take care of their old school guys who still shoot film.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2019, 09:30   #34
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 82243
Don't get me wrong, I love my old Steiners but compared to Swarovski and high end Zeiss its like looking through a paper towel tube.

Swarovski takes it for me as the best glass Ive looked through. But for over 4 grand they better be.

I use Maven's. For around a grand they make amazingly clear, tough optics that are on par with binoculars that are 3 times the cost.
Old August 17, 2019, 14:00   #35
Uriah Lee
Registered

Back in the days before my father passed away he suffered with tremors that made great difficulty in glassing anything while hunting for him. So I bought a pair of Canon stabilized binoculars for him to use in his final days. Not the 10x42's that Huey spoke of. I think they were more like 7~8 power and a lot less in cost. To him it was like the greatest thing since sliced bread in that they allowed him to see a coherent image.

I tried them myself and have to say that all bino's should be stabilized. What a world of difference it makes. While the glass isn't up to the high standards of Leica or Zeiss, the steady image goes a long way towards clarity. The high end makers do stabilized as well, but the price, shall we say, is crushing!!!!