The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old August 02, 2019, 22:24   #801
Striker024
Registered

FALaholic #: 82749
Finally decided on painting the rifle with the help of Gunplumber's kit. Gonna do a rack number soon. I know the bipod isn't really fitting, but I like to mess around with it. RA0636

Striker024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 02, 2019, 22:47   #802
Charles_The_Hammer
BANNED

FALaholic #: 76904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker024 View Post
Finally decided on painting the rifle with the help of Gunplumber's kit. Gonna do a rack number soon. I know the bipod isn't really fitting, but I like to mess around with it. RA0636

Looks great!

Gotta get rid of that carry handle, though! Everyone knows the carry handles were always removed:

Charles_The_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 02, 2019, 22:52   #803
pl521
Registered

FALaholic #: 74645
Nice paint job on your Rhody
pl521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 03, 2019, 08:58   #804
1911Ron
Registered

FALaholic #: 17513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles_The_Hammer View Post
Looks great!

Gotta get rid of that carry handle, though! Everyone knows the carry handles were[B] always removed]
Not always,there are pictures showing the carry handle in place.
Old August 03, 2019, 09:53   #805
Charles_The_Hammer
BANNED

FALaholic #: 76904
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Ron View Post
Not always,there are pictures showing the carry handle in place.
You mean like the one I posted with big red arrows I put on there pointing to them?

Learn to recognize sarcasm. You are on this series of tubes called "the internet".
Charles_The_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 03, 2019, 09:57   #806
otis61
Registered

FALaholic #: 26667
Quote:
You mean like the one I posted with big red arrows I put on there pointing to them?

Learn to recognize sarcasm. You are on this series of tubes called "the internet".
You really are a jerk aren't you?
Old August 03, 2019, 10:01   #807
EinheitElf
Registered

FALaholic #: 21533
They issued fals with handles to the noobs and rookies, a right of passage..
EinheitElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 03, 2019, 11:31   #808
lew
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Quote:
Originally Posted by otis61 View Post
You really are a jerk aren't you?
Even by Files standards, he's an inconsiderate butthole.

Striker: In Rhodesian service, a rack number was a decided rarity at any point during the conflict. I wouldn't bother with it. Zimbabwe service is a different matter, though.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -H.L. Mencken
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 03, 2019, 15:34   #809
1911Ron
Registered

FALaholic #: 17513
Quote:

I'm sorry i missed your feeble attempt at sarcasm, i thought you were just being an arsehole as usual.
Old August 24, 2019, 05:35   #810
bigstick61
Registered

FALaholic #: 45299
I've been trying to find any info or pictures I can on the SADF FN-contract Para FALs, which are rather unique, but man, it's really hard to come by. The recent renewal in interest for me is due to seeing so many rifles with the stock these had in pictures of the SANParks Rangers I've posted in the anti-poaching clone thread. So far I've seen 21 or 22 individual examples and paras with that stock seem to be the most commonly seen paras in pictures.

I've been conversing with Peter Wells about the subject. He believes these were all Type 1 50.61s (to the best of his knowledge, only a subset of the 1st contract FNs, designated M1 by the SADF, were lightweight models, as far as FN contract rifles for the SADF go, and those seem to have gone to the Navy). Interestingly, the one close-up of one of these rifles shows a horizontal frame lock lever and no markings, which is why I asked about whether they were 50.61s or 50.64s, as that might indicate an alloy lower, but then again, a horizontal lever as pictured (which seems to be present also on others) would block the markings if they were like the fixed-stock rifles. All of the SANParks paras with the SADF stock have Type 2 uppers, interestingly (also why I asked Peter about receiver type).

Peter told me that the para contract for the SADF was pretty small, since there were not many paratroopers in the SADF in the 1960s (1 battalion, maybe 2, from what I can tell; 3rd and additional para supporting units don't appear to have been established until the late 1970s, not long before the R4 started replacing the FAL). His old article from the SAAACA website did say that a lot of spares were included, so I wonder if that included stocks. It was his belief that all of these paras in inventory were destroyed as part of Operation Mouflon. A tiny amount of stuff is in private hands (Peter used to own one of the stocks).

His belief was that the SANParks non-DSA paras were pretty much all conversions of fixed stock rifles using Argie conversion kits, but clearly that is not the case, at least not for a significant number of rifles. How these came to be in SANParks's possession is uncertain for now, it would seem, although Wells's old article says SANDF provided some stuff to SANParks. Some of the pics seem to indidcate, based on wear and tear and presence of remnants of old finishes no longer used by SANParks, that these rifles have been in their hands for well over a decade.

Given the small number of the original SADF FN-contract paras and their need to remain in service until the Bush War was just about over, I'm fairly certain that none of these were provided to Rhodesia, which is why we've never seen one imported.

Anyhow, in searching for pictures of the rifles and even just the paras during the period when the rifles were issued, this was about all I could find. Where the detail is visible, looks like a horizontal frame lock lever was used (or the vertical ones were replaced), the carry handle with the long wire was used, they indeed had the grenade sight gas plug, were NBC, and aside from the unique stock and sight arrangement, were in the typical 21" para configuration. The first pic shows a Type 1. The stocklist drawing also depicts a Type 1. The one picture of a soldier where you can kinda see some detail, it's too hard for me to tell what type of receiver it is.

Peter said the markings were pretty much as pictured on the left side, although the contract rifle markings varied a bit on the left side. The paras would have had the SA arms on the magazine well like the others.

Pictures below mostly show 1 Para, but at least one shows 3 Para. Most of the pictures with troops are from or related to Operation Reindeer in 1978.

bigstick61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2019, 05:39   #811
bigstick61
Registered

A valid link may exist on an earlier page or two, but anyways, here's a link to the web archived page with Peter Wells's 2003 article on South African FALs. This info no longer appears on the SAAACA website.

https://web.archive.org/web/20100211...IG/fal/fal.htm
Old August 25, 2019, 20:39   #812
Toadvine
Registered

FALaholic #: 45602
I have a para lower with an RA number on lower right side

RA 5588

And then on the left side

A1253

Did the para upper receivers have matching numbers? RA, or A series?
Toadvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2019, 22:40   #813
bigstick61
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadvine View Post
I have a para lower with an RA number on lower right side

RA 5588

And then on the left side

A1253

Did the para upper receivers have matching numbers? RA, or A series?
The A number might be the serial number. Hard to say without more information or pictures. RA number is an inventory number for the Rhodesian Army. Typically, the serial numbers and RA numbers would match on the marked parts, regardless of what weapon is in question.

Most of the paras that came in as parts kits after Zimbabwe sold off the majority of its FALs as surplus seem to have been conversions of South African made R1s into paratroop rifles done most likely by Rhodesia. This included a stock bolt sized for such conversions that was simpler to make, lacking the retainer screw, and a domestically-produced copy of the Belgian folding stock (with a somewhat crudely cast steel hinge lacking provision for a swivel and a rubber butt plate).

Small numbers of FN-made paras did manage to make it into Rhodesia one way or another. Very few seem to have made it into the U.S. as parts kits.
Old August 26, 2019, 04:24   #814
bigstick61
Registered

South African R1 Sniper rifle (not sure which variant) being used by the SANDF on what looks like some UN or other deployment.

Old September 28, 2019, 19:49   #815
sbl11
Registered

FALaholic #: 74616
CB serial number

Just snagged an odd lower on the marketplace. It is serial numbered CB. I havent ever seen a fal without any numbers in a serial number. Please help!

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445375
Thanks,

Sbl
sbl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2019, 15:47   #816
Rheinmetall
Registered

FALaholic #: 83149
Hi alltogether,

this is Andreas from Germany. Nice to meet you.
I guess I have some of the receivers that match to your Rhodie parts.
Unfortunately it seems that I can't upload any pictures?
Regards

Andreas
Rheinmetall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2019, 16:15   #817
Grahamneall
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 62175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheinmetall View Post
Hi alltogether,

Regards

Andreas
Not that it matters, though we would love to see original RA Receivers, if only we could import them !!
Graham.
Grahamneall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2019, 18:16   #818
embatp
What? Me AR?
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 39856
Quote:
Hi alltogether,

Regards

Andreas
Detailed pics of markings etc would be very helpful....
Old October 12, 2019, 06:59   #819
Rheinmetall
Registered

FALaholic #: 83149
Yes, I know that the Receivers are not importable to the US.
That is why they are here and the other parts ended up over there on your side.

It will be not possible for me to send detailed pictures and informations as we have between 1500 and 2000 receivers left. They are all from Rhodesia and mixed up. Mostly South African unmarked, some marked, Portuguese, German, Imbel, sometimes old markings have been milled out to veil where they came from. It's history.
Rheinmetall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2019, 07:10   #820
Grahamneall
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 62175
Quote:
Yes, I know that the Receivers are not importable to the US.
That is why they are here and the other parts ended up over there on your side.

It will be not possible for me to send detailed pictures and informations as we have between 1500 and 2000 receivers left. They are all from Rhodesia and mixed up. Mostly South African unmarked, some marked, Portuguese, German, Imbel, sometimes old markings have been milled out to veil where they came from. It's history.
Yes, history and a damn shame we can't get our hands on them !!
Graham
Grahamneall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2019, 01:28   #821
fussbudget
Registered

FALaholic #: 81806
Hope to have my Rhody back early next year.
Having the kit finished by a local gunsmith.
Got a call today saying its done so pics soon.

Last edited by fussbudget; November 10, 2019 at 02:26.
fussbudget is offline   Reply With Quote