The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old November 14, 2019, 20:09   #1
Newtomefals
Registered

FALaholic #: 81695
Nice refnished stock, whats it for?

Found this in a box with some Israeli furniture I bought.
Nice stock but dont know what fal/country it fits. Thanks for any help.

Newtomefals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2019, 20:16   #2
OLDMANPBK
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 69978
https://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205859

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?"
-Patrick Henry-

Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.

If you ask the government for a permit, you are admitting that you don't have a right.
OLDMANPBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2019, 20:20   #3
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
Looks like someone’s well intentioned, but poorly executed attempt at making their own bling FAL stock.
Old November 14, 2019, 20:23   #4
Newtomefals
Registered

Could be. Someone had it marked $160. Thought it may of been some old one that sombody refinished. It would have to be for a lower that dont use the metal stock ferule or a metal butt plate I know..maybe made for a rubber butt pad? Or never finished it? I have nothing I can use this on. I believe it was made from an older stock,
Has old dried grease such in the recoil spring tube hole and signs of having been used in there.

Last edited by Newtomefals; November 14, 2019 at 20:40.
Old November 14, 2019, 20:51   #5
def90
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
Aftermarket metric stock, probably meant to use a rubber buttpad of some sort but it's not cut to work with a standard FAL rubber buttpad.
Old November 14, 2019, 21:00   #6
mp
Registered

FALaholic #: 654
See if Flypaper can fix it up
mp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2019, 22:01   #7
boman
Registered

FALaholic #: 395
nice wood-aftermarket my guess--throw a grind to fit limbsaver on it and put it on a rifle.

Steve
Old November 15, 2019, 14:04   #8
adam762
Registered

FALaholic #: 11334
That used to be mine. I got it in 2004, and I decided at the time to finish it in 14 (!!!) well sanded coats of gloss polyurethane. It looked like glass. I had it mounted on my StG and used a sandable buttpad as mentioned. Sold the rifle in 2015 to finance a trip to Italy (sad but so worth it) and took the stock off then. I gave it to a friend at Knob Creek a couple years ago.

Watching the poly take damage and age made me decide to never do a rifle stock in anything but oil ever again. The gloss added depth to the grain (and oh it's something in the light) that was cool but the mirror finish took away the natural warmth that wood grain has, I think. And it was delicate, and poly turns yellow with time.

If I still had it, I'd strip it and refinish with oil.

You gotta remember, that got used in the day BEFORE any good aftermarket stocks were readily available. Before engraved receivers, and before the push to build 'correct' became cool. I think I paid 399 for the StG kit and $350 for the LMT type two it was built on.

So yeah. Find a Century or Coonan type III that is cheap and buildable. Get a nothing fancy Imbel kit or better yet make a mutt outta spare parts from all over the globe. Turn it into something cool.

There's your back story, anyhow. Never thought I'd see that thing again. Rather unique.

ETA:

Possible I sold it online, here or GB, and possible it went with a lot of Izzy furniture. lol I don't remember. But I know that it used to live here.

Last edited by adam762; November 15, 2019 at 14:15.
adam762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2019, 15:10   #9
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
It's really quite handsome ! I like it !

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2019, 15:49   #10
Newtomefals
Registered

Got if from a guy who bought out most of Dan Richardsons stuff.
Vow stuff.
Old November 15, 2019, 15:51   #11
Newtomefals
Registered

Found one of norvell mfg. Buis cards also there with a para bolt and maybe an adapter for para or l1a1 conversion. Not sure. Pretty neat to find original owner of it.
Old November 15, 2019, 17:50   #12
adam762
Registered

FALaholic #: 11334
The inch para adapter kit went to Dan at the creek in Oct. of 2012. I traded him the kit for a bunch of Ironwood metric handguard sets. Sent those off to Blue Monster 6 years ago, maybe he still has some. Anyway, IIRC, the gentleman that bought out Dan is another long time Knob Creek regular and one that I did a lot of business with over the years. I am pretty sure I gave him that stock and that looks like one of his price tags.

This has all been a few years ago of course. Exact dates on much of it are fuzzy. But that stock and the rifle it lived on were the absolute pride of my collection for some time.
Old November 15, 2019, 21:35   #13
Newtomefals
Registered

I am just getting in to the l1a1/fal world. Been at it about a year now. Still have not built the first rifle yet. Been trying to find parts and get kits ready to build, right now I have 2 israeli original light barrels and a open ear heavy barrel, still rounding up parts for those builds. May sell one of izzy barrels to help fund the builds. Got a nice stg kit going, and australian and 3 brits. And I have bought some century rifles for imbel receivers. And now gathering parts for a g1 kit since I have a g1 barrel
I have lots of extra parts to sell still trying to figure out what most stuff is and what type rifle it all goes to. My main plan is send one of my brits to Mark Graham for the L1A1 cuts and lettering he does. I will pass that down to my daughter. And maybe a few more